• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

deadfolk

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/3skca7/steam_client_beta_update_nov_12th/

Hey all,

There's going to be a new feature added on the next client beta update. I've been in contact with someone over at Valve, offering controller feedback and the like. I recently sent him an email about using Gyro Mode and Mouse Joystick mode at the same time.

The problem: Using Mouse Joystick mode refers you to using ingame joystick sensitivity. With gyro mode, you generally want it to be a slower sensitivity than the right pad (so the pad is quick motion, the gyro is precise aiming). Since the sensitivities are made the same by deferring to in game sensitivity, you can't really use the gyro to make precise shots.

I received an email back saying:

Sensitivity doesn’t exactly make sense with how the Mouse Joystick works. We’ve actually removed the setting and redirected users to adjust the in-game joystick sensitivity. Given that, I’ve added a new setting when using it on the gyro that allows you to set a relative scale, so you can decrease the effective sensitivity relative to what is on the pad.
He also mentioned later that this relative scale gyro bar wasn't added on this update, but will be in the next update for sure. So look forward to that!

This is actually really bad news. There are games that have no sensitivity setting for the gamepad, so not being able to set it with steam will render the mouse joystick unusable for those games.

Sorry for dp...typing on a tablet and was having trouble with the quotes.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Two questions.
1) what the heck are the differences between regular dpad, cross thingie, and analogue emulation. The emulation one just jitters for me. The regular d pad with or without overlap works great, and the cross one feels great too but I don't actually know if it's different which is weird

2) what are good settings for gyro if you just want light precision adjustments someone while using right pad as a mouse? The pad itself is amazingly accurate for me but I want to try this gyro.

Nzyme32

Does the Steam controller work with the Mass Effect games? If so, I can finally play those.

Yeah. ME1, 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia. They all work great with the Steam Controller

This is actually really bad news. There are games that have no sensitivity setting for the gamepad, so not being able to set it with steam will render the mouse joystick unusable for those games.

I don't really think so. I far prefer just going pure mouse and keyboard for such games. Not that mouse-joystick is bad, it just isn't as accurate and speedy as I'd like. Often also the standard bindings are pretty poor anyway, particularly when there are more input options and layouts to use with the Steam Controller.

I tried to switch it to legacy but it wouldn't save.

Did you manage to solve this? No idea why that would happen aside from the usual save issues that seem to happen randomly.

I will say this, btw. Playing a game like Witcher 3 with the Steam Controller is entirely pointless if you have a regular dual stick gamepay lying around. There is almost no benefit aside from quicker access to menues and since the game behaves poorly from dual input setups I ended up having to roll with WASD for character control which really makes horse racing and just general navigation significantly harder. Even worse, the GOG launcher doesn't track achievements/time played if you run the game via a Steam shortcut, so if you have the GOG version of the game like I do you lose out even more. My config didn't stick when I ran the game outside of Steam and not having the overlay also means the touch menu is gone. Oh well, back to DS3 on that one.

i grabbed one of these, a steam link and a $20 GC from ebgames yesterday

so far i like the controller. the community made presets for some games are great. i used an alien isolation one and its awesome. same for system shock 2. i downloaded the witcher 3 one made by a gaffer and had to make a few tweaks more to my liking, but it was pretty solid to begin with

the bad side - sure this has been mentioned 1000 times. but the default speed of right joystick movement is way to slow for basically every game i tried

all in all i look forward to using it and getting more adjusted to it

steam link impressions are all negative. the compression on this thing is terrible, and the colors are all off. even on the beautiful/highest setting. wtf?

Did you manage to solve this? No idea why that would happen aside from the usual save issues that seem to happen randomly.

I will say this, btw. Playing a game like Witcher 3 with the Steam Controller is entirely pointless if you have a regular dual stick gamepay lying around. There is almost no benefit aside from quicker access to menues and since the game behaves poorly from dual input setups I ended up having to roll with WASD for character control which really makes horse racing and just general navigation significantly harder. Even worse, the GOG launcher doesn't track achievements/time played if you run the game via a Steam shortcut, so if you have the GOG version of the game like I do you lose out even more. My config didn't stick when I ran the game outside of Steam and not having the overlay also means the touch menu is gone. Oh well, back to DS3 on that one.

I'm actually using the default gamepad style controls for Witcher 3, but with Joystick Mouse on the right touchpad, and I much prefer it to using the DS4 (which is what I was doing previously). I may hate stick based camera control more than most people, though.

My understanding is that you get access to more quick shortcuts (4 items instead of 2) with mouse and keyboard mode instead of gamepad mode.

I think the truth is that Joystick Mouse was never going to be usable in games that don't let you crank the joystick turn speed way up. Messing with the sensitivity settings on the controller would just have made small movements harder, without improving the max turn speed.

Does anyone have any advice for setting up WASD on the left pad? I tried it for fallout 4 as it's a more comfortable way to hold the controller but I gave up after a few hours and used WASD on the stick instead. My thumb kept getting confused and I was taking it off the pad rather than returning to the dead zone when I wanted to stop.

Mobius 1

I bought one and used it for just an hour, but I already love this. I can't understand the flak directed at Valve, they've taken a bold step to bridge the desk-to-living room PC gaming divide.

Arulan

Does anyone have any advice for setting up WASD on the left pad? I tried it for fallout 4 as it's a more comfortable way to hold the controller but I gave up after a few hours and used WASD on the stick instead. My thumb kept getting confused and I was taking it off the pad rather than returning to the dead zone when I wanted to stop.

I haven't played Fallout 4, but in my tests with other games I setup the directional pad for WASD. Create an outer circle and bind it to Shift, then inverse it. You'll have to adjust the slider to find the right balance between outer and inner. Essentially, the inner area is walking speed, while the outer area is normal. I'm assuming Fallout 4 has a walk modifier. Then, create a deadzone about 3-4 taps further from the default. You can also bind either jump, or perhaps sprint to the click button. Haptics on high. Diagonal crossover on. That should work well. Keep in mind you don't necessarily want to keep your thumb on the pad always, there isn't anything wrong with lifting your thumb off.

In the configuration, can't a map a button so a button on the controller, and another button to a button on the keyboard?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but generally you can freely mix gamepad, keyboard, and mouse controls in any Steam Controller configuration. Depending on the game handles input, however, this may not be a good idea.

Will be trying this when I get home. I still don't understand how this works since whenever the gamepad setting is on nothing works (even when I made my binding strictly keyboard/mouse controls), but I'll give it a shot.

That's because it's so bad you need to restart the game for it to switch over. He talks about this in the vid.

Anyone use the steam controller on Fallout 4? Any thoughts thus far? I was headed out to the Microsoft store after work to buy the XBone controller and wireless adapter, but seriously considering the steam controller as well.

Pachimari

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but generally you can freely mix gamepad, keyboard, and mouse controls in any Steam Controller configuration. Depending on the game handles input, however, this may not be a good idea.

I can try and take a picture of it.
Can I take pictures with the controller? Can't I just map the "print screen" button to the controller?

That's because it's so bad you need to restart the game for it to switch over. He talks about this in the vid.

Bear with me yet again.

So I go into the game with the Steam controller on, exit, go to controller config, save it, and then start the game again? Is that what he's saying to do?

This is frustrating. All the articles that say they don't like it because they felt dumb, I understand. But it's just too cool to not figure out ugh.

Nzyme32

Will be trying this when I get home. I still don't understand how this works since whenever the gamepad setting is on nothing works (even when I made my binding strictly keyboard/mouse controls), but I'll give it a shot.

If you are talking about the gamepad setting in Fallout 4's game menu - you can not use it if you want to have the Steam Controller using mouse and keyboard. "Gamepad" in the Fallout 4 menu, refers to the Xbox pad. If you tell the game to use gamepad, you can't use a mouse and keyboard at all - and the Steam Controller is forced to only emulate an Xbox pad's features along with mouse-joystick. If you switch off gamepad, you can't use Xbox controls, but can use mouse and keyboard, which opens up the Steam Controller to all sort of possibilities.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone use the steam controller on Fallout 4? Any thoughts thus far? I was headed out to the Microsoft store after work to buy the XBone controller and wireless adapter, but seriously considering the steam controller as well.

Yeah, it works great. Using mouse joystick for the right stick works really well.

The lock picking took a little longer to figure out (just move your finger around the outer trackpad like you're spinning a dial), but that's been my only trouble. I played Falout 3 and New Vegas with other controllers and I definitely prefer the Steampad

Bear with me yet again.

So I go into the game with the Steam controller on, exit, go to controller config, save it, and then start the game again? Is that what he's saying to do?

This is frustrating. All the articles that say they don't like it because they felt dumb, I understand. But it's just too cool to not figure out ugh.

Nzyme explains it

If you are talking about the gamepad setting in Fallout 4's game menu - you can not use it if you want to have the Steam Controller using mouse and keyboard. "Gamepad" in the Fallout 4 menu, refers to the Xbox pad. If you tell the game to use gamepad, you can't use a mouse and keyboard at all - and the Steam Controller is forced to only emulate an Xbox pad's features along with mouse-joystick. If you switch off gamepad, you can't use Xbox controls, but can use mouse and keyboard, which opens up the Steam Controller to all sort of possibilities.

Pachimari

Steam button + Right trigger takes screenshots

Thank you!

Another question for more desktop-like functionality.

01) When I press the Steam button, Steam doesn't go to BPM, is this because I need Steam to be the active window, and not another program?

02) Can I map buttons for Steam itself? Let's say, I want to press a button to switch my sound from the computer to the tv, is that possible?

Also, Mass Effect 1 doesn't work with my Steam controller?

Now this makes sense. Will report back with hopeful success tonight.

Thanks guys!

Unai

Too bad the mapping doesn't work in Fallout 1. Maybe it's because the overlay doesn't follow that game. Even if I pre configure it outside of the game the settings I set doesn't follow when the game starts.

Nzyme I recommend you link the reddit wiki in the OP. At least for things like this:

ZxYIEz7.png

01) When I press the Steam button, Steam doesn't go to BPM, is this because I need Steam to be the active window, and not another program?
Pressing it once makes Steam the active window. Once it's the active window you can press it again for BPM. This was done because before BPM used to activate every time you'd try to hold down the steam button to turn the controller off. It was super annoying.

Pachimari

Pressing it once makes Steam the active window. Once it's the active window you can press it again for BPM. This was done because before BPM used to activate every time you'd try to hold down the steam button to turn the controller off. It was super annoying.

Oh, very nice solution then.

Try turning up the mouse smoothing under the advanced settings.
Is that the mouse dampening?
Because I don't see any mouse smoothing.

IMACOMPUTA

So I read a bunch about simulating buttons using haptic feedback on the pads prior to this thing launching. Like abxy on the pad or dpad on the left pad.
How do I try this out? Is there a way to config for this or something?

MattyG

Banned
Just did my first session with Fallout 4... not really feeling it yet. I'm using the controller layout with the mouse-joystick. I'm having a super hard time adjusting my aim when ADS, and when I'm turning everything feels all jittery. Also, gyro isn't working great.

I feel like maybe there's a different profile I could use that would work better.

Just did my first session with Fallout 4... not really feeling it yet. I'm using the controller layout with the mouse-joystick. I'm having a super hard time adjusting my aim when ADS, and when I'm turning everything feels all jittery. Also, gyro isn't working great.

I feel like maybe there's a different profile I could use that would work better.

There is the official Bethesda one.

I liked it but I also saw the jitters when I was turning. That was awkward.

So I noticed you can mode shift the track pads, holding another button to change their functionality temporarily and at will, but there's no way to do that with any of the other regular buttons as far as I can tell?

Nzyme32

Using mouse-joystick and gamepad with gyro is a terrible way to setup any game. You can't expect they gyro to provide any meaningful help in that situation since there is no mouse movement support to be utilised for the accuracy it is best at, ie 1:1 movement. Using the Steam Controller as a gamepad + mouse joystick can work well in some games, but I haven't heard of anyone happy with that solution in Fallout 4. People seem very happy using mouse and keyboard setups

MattyG

Banned
Using mouse-joystick and gamepad with gyro is a terrible way to setup any game. You can't expect they gyro to provide any meaningful help in that situation since there is no mouse movement support to be utilised for the accuracy it is best at, ie 1:1 movement. Using the Steam Controller as a gamepad + mouse joystick can work well in some games, but I haven't heard of anyone happy with that solution in Fallout 4. People seem very happy using mouse and keyboard setups
Okay, I'll give that a shot. I can't find any good community profiles for M/KB, but I'll try to customize my own I guess.

Pachimari

Why is there no haptic on my left pad, but there's medium haptic on my right one? I have the left set to dpad and then haptics to medium as well.

How do I even choose this? In the in-game settings right?

morningbus

Did you turn the in game sensitive up?

viveks86

Thank you!

Another question for more desktop-like functionality.

02) Can I map buttons for Steam itself? Let's say, I want to press a button to switch my sound from the computer to the tv, is that possible?

Also, Mass Effect 1 doesn't work with my Steam controller?

01) As long as you have steam running, hitting it the first time will make it the active window and then the second time would start BPM. Atleast that's how it seems to work for me

02) They stiil haven't exposed that configuration for Steam itself.

morningbus

To the max.
It works fairly well for me. Did you try dialing it down a little from there? When you say it's hard to aim, is it because it is too responsive or not enough?

I can't even get a mouse+kb config to work in fallout. This game is so fucking stupid with it's gamepads.
While their implementation is garbage in this day and age, it is straight forward. You have to choose between full keyboard mappings or gamepad mappings. You can't mix them.

Plus, you need to go into the options menu and turn the gamepad off, if you're using keyboard of course.

Top Bottom