• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Oreoleo

The content in the OP of this thread blew me away.

I'm definitely getting a steam controller now and will probably be reading this thread over a few times.

If you do in fact go through the ENTIRE thread, take some of the early criticism with a grain of salt. The software for the controller has improved a ton over the past week, let alone a month ago when the thread was created. A lot of the early criticism isn't relevant anymore.

Crayon

So, in a tl;dr because I'm a dumdum
a) how does the controller build feel?

People keep bitching about the supposed build quality. Idk what they are talking about. It passes my build quality test with flying colors. My build quality test: grab subject firmly and twist hard. Result = No cracking of creaking sounds. Body is rigid in material and assembly. Pass.

OMG!

It's shipping from Steam AND Amazon.

Now I'll have a spare.....
Hold the phone. Since when is Amazon selling them!? Did I just not only pay for shipping, but pay more to get it later from Gamestop...?

EDIT: I'm going to return the one I get from Gamestop and save $5. People who said it was only being sold on GS outside of Steam lied! To think that I could have had it this weekend instead of Monday.

wheapon

People keep bitching about the supposed build quality. Idk what they are talking about. It passes my build quality test with flying colors. My build quality test: grab subject firmly and twist hard. Result = No cracking of creaking sounds. Body is rigid in material and assembly. Pass.

I agree, the build is fine. That said, it does not feel nearly as good in the hand as a Wii U Pro controller, but it does quite a bit more so I give it a pass. It doesn't feel bad or anything, just isn't great.

The configuration flexibility on the other hand... oh boy.

I bought the Steam Link today. Against all advice I connected it through a 5GHz network. So far it works fine. Still having a lot of trouble with Blizzard games and IHS/BPM.

Got my Steam Controller working with Fallout 4. Works great, but it almost gave me motion sickness. Any way to smooth my movement? Mouse movement is not the problem. It's d-pad movement. Kills my head.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Got my Steam Controller working with Fallout 4. Works great, but it almost gave me motion sickness. Any way to smooth my movement? Mouse movement is not the problem. It's d-pad movement. Kills my head.

Did you turn on the overlap? Unless you do that you can't use more than one direction at a time. Also turn off the button press to activate, it's so much easier to just ghost your thumb over the pad to move.

EDIT: Never mind. Dunno how it would do that, but that sucks.

undeclinable

Neo Member
Anyone having trouble with dual-stage triggers in Borderlands 2? Trying to bypass ADS with the "Hip Fire Relaxed" setting, but the game always engages ADS, no matter how fast I pull the trigger.

Eusis

Anyone having trouble with dual-stage triggers in Borderlands 2? Trying to bypass ADS with the "Hip Fire Relaxed" setting, but the game always engages ADS, no matter how fast I pull the trigger.
The normal version seemed to work fine for me. Maybe you just need to pull faster? I had the issue of both guns firing at once from a car, but... that's both guns over one trigger. That seems like a "feature" appropriate for Borderlands, nevermind I'd just need to pull faster to avoid that.

Maybe it's partially acclimation but I feel like joystick mouse is working better for Fallout 4. Still not ideal, but better feeling than I remember it being for sure. If it's not just acclimation than the more recent updates have really done wonders.

undeclinable

Neo Member
I doubt it's me pulling the trigger not fast enough. The instant I press the trigger, the animation of zooming in to the iron sights starts.....no delay whatsoever.

Not a really big problem, but I notice it really helps with my accuracy if I shoot with left and aim with right, instead of firing and aiming with the same hand.

Thanks for the reply though!

I got this yesterday from GAME. Didn't notice in the shop that it was not sealed. When I opened the box the batteries were already installed and part of the box inside was ripped. So beware when buying from GAME.

I doubt it's me pulling the trigger not fast enough. The instant I press the trigger, the animation of zooming in to the iron sights starts.....no delay whatsoever.

Not a really big problem, but I notice it really helps with my accuracy if I shoot with left and aim with right, instead of firing and aiming with the same hand.

Thanks for the reply though!

Tried hip fire aggressive?

Man, I love this controller. I've been having the best time playing all these games like The Witcher with no gamepad controls and this thing picks right up and handles business. I may actually finally play through that game now. Very pleased with this contraption.

Blizzard

Banned
Quick question: is there rumble in this thing? I just played a bit of F1 2013 and I got no vibration when going over kerbs.
Not technically, but some games may simulate it by using the pad haptics. I don't know if that's a bad thing that might cause excessive wear internally, who knows.

*edit* I thought I had this happen when I went over a kerb in Project CARS, but I tested again and I must have been imagining things. There doesn't seem to be simulated rumble in that game.

I have been playing shadow of mordor with the controller. It is my first time playing this game so I don't particularly have any pre-established bias, but I do have a sense that a standard controller would be better. Anyone have any setup they would recommend?

I am getting connection issues sitting less than 2m away slightly round a corner from the pc, but probably still with line of sight. Any idea what's causing this? Or what the solution would be?

Man, I love this controller. I've been having the best time playing all these games like The Witcher with no gamepad controls and this thing picks right up and handles business. I may actually finally play through that game now. Very pleased with this contraption.
Same here. Since the game feels different than 2 and 3 with more PC specific mouse controls this gamepad was made for games like these.

Oreoleo

So, how exactly do these touch pads work? Are they capacitive? I was just playing Binding of Isaac and discovered that I can get the right pad to activate without even touching it. Right at the 12 o'clock position, if I hover my thumb (only works with my thumb) 1 or 2 mm above the trackpad it will receive input. Tested both in BoI and on my desktop, I can get the mouse to move back and forth ever so slightly without ever touching the pad. I can't seem to recreate this anywhere else on the pad. And also, I tried using the touchpad with each of my fingers. My left index which is calloused from playing guitar doesn't register an input at ALL. And all my other fingers cause some kind of delay between making contact with the touchpad and when it starts receiving input, around a quarter to a half a second. This is all kind of blowing my mind and I'm not sure it should even be possible physically. But if anyone has ANY idea what's going on here I'd love to hear some kind of explanation.

PnCIa

Its great that they release so many updates, yet i am wondering why they didnt add a voting feature for configs yet! From my pov this is the one thing thats truely missing.

Huge learning curve for FPS games for me. I'm an aviation-style player and I can't get to grips with looking either inverted or not inverted. Then there's profiles that mix the gyro in for aiming. Mind-boggling!

Waveset

It's when you compare it to DS4 and Xbone. Have you taken the battery cover off? It feels so flimsy.
I took it into work as colleagues were curious And every one of them commented on how plasticky it looks and feels.

It's when you compare it to DS4 and Xbone. Have you taken the battery cover off? It feels so flimsy.
I took it into work as colleagues were curious And every one of them commented on how plasticky it looks and feels.
The only thing I have a problem with is where the front and back meet. There is a gap where the two sides come together and it feels a little rough around the edges where both halves meet.

As far as plasticky feeling. Well, yeah it's made from it, lol, but to me it feels light weight but not flimsy. This kind of controller shouldn't feel heavy due to the nature and ergonomics of the controller.

Pachimari

No, smoothing, in the advanced settings. Looks like it doesn't show up for Mouse Joystick, though, just for the real mouse mode.

Yeah, I have mouse smoothing set to maximum. I wish I could set a sensitivity for looking around, and for aiming separately.

I like to look around quickly, and then aim precisely which I can do with a mouse but apparently not with the Steam controller.

Just got back to the steam controller after a ton of updates - mouse joystick has me pretty much back to regular settings for the Witcher 3. ive abandoned my crazy complex keyboard binding and am much happier for the onscreen prompts.

Crayon

Yes. But its much like the plastic battery cover of any device. A thin plastic cover.

Maybe its the texture of the material is causing the impression? Plasticky look and feel, that is. when i think of build quality i usually consider how rigid a thing is an how accurratly its parts fit together and othe signs of loose tolerance.

The put weights in beats headphones because people think it feels like better build quality, you know.

Yeah, I have mouse smoothing set to maximum. I wish I could set a sensitivity for looking around, and for aiming separately.

I like to look around quickly, and then aim precisely which I can do with a mouse but apparently not with the Steam controller.

Yeah, I don't have any problem with that, but a lot of people are using the dampening feature so that they can slow the mouse down when aiming.

Or turn down the sensitivity and turn acceleration up.

Is there a comprehensive guide or tips and tricks thing somewhere for this? Also how do you bring up the on-screen keyboard? I've been wanting to test this out to just browse the web, but I'm not feeling it yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a comprehensive guide or tips and tricks thing somewhere for this? Also how do you bring up the on-screen keyboard? I've been wanting to test this out to just browse the web, but I'm not feeling it yet.

In desktop mode? You can't AFAIK. You have to use the Big Picture Mode browser to web browse.

In desktop mode? You can't AFAIK. You have to use the Big Picture Mode browser to web browse.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/48772973975766962

Added the ability to invoke the Big Picture keyboard on the desktop when Big Picture is minimized. Left Stick click to show the keyboard, X to toggle keyboard position around mouse cursor, B to dismiss the keyboard. The binding to show the keyboard will be made configurable in a future update.

also here's the reddit wiki

kinn

New Beta

Steam Controller

• Added the ability to invoke the Big Picture keyboard on the desktop when Big Picture is minimized. Left Stick click to show the keyboard, X to toggle keyboard position around mouse cursor, B to dismiss the keyboard. The binding to show the keyboard will be made configurable in a future update.

• Finally! Now I'm one step closer to ditching the media keypad. One issue I'm getting is when...say installing a game and the install menus pop up, the controller won't work.

You can in the latest beta. You need to go into big picture mode, and then use the "minimize big picture mode" option from the power menu, it alt-tab out.

It seems people have had varying levels of success with it, but I'm sure it'll continue to be improved over time.

Also how do you bring up the on-screen keyboard? I've been wanting to test this out to just browse the web, but I'm not feeling it yet.
If you have the Steam Beta, you open up Big Picture Mode, then use the new minimize option. Once it's minimized, pressing left stick will bring up the keyboard.

You missed last night's patch. See above.

danthefan

Screw it, think I'll get one of the controllers. Need something to play my streamed PC games in the living room with.

Really good OP, so much information.

55 Euro vs 50 dollars though, why do we always get ripped off in Europe?

Eusis

So, how exactly do these touch pads work? Are they capacitive? I was just playing Binding of Isaac and discovered that I can get the right pad to activate without even touching it. Right at the 12 o'clock position, if I hover my thumb (only works with my thumb) 1 or 2 mm above the trackpad it will receive input. Tested both in BoI and on my desktop, I can get the mouse to move back and forth ever so slightly without ever touching the pad. I can't seem to recreate this anywhere else on the pad.
Normal for capacitive from my experience. I was able to do this on the Vita and some smart phones.

Anyone have a profile configuration for The Witcher 1?

EDIT:

Didn't realize there is a config hub for player bindings in Big-Picture mode. That's pretty cool.

pmj

The past two days I've been sweating more than usual from my hands and it seems like the Steam controller doesn't like that one bit.

The moisture will make my thumb slide with little if any input registering, then hit a bit of friction resulting in an input spike, only to start sliding again immediately after.

Washing my hands hasn't helped; it's back to where it was after mere minutes.

Any pro-tips?

Top Bottom