• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

deadfolk

I'm using the standard Bethesda layout on fallout 4 but with gyro activated on left trigger press. It allows me to precise aim when looking down sights. So far it's working really good

Gyro in what mode? I tried it with joystick mouse and it didn't seem to work very well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What am I doing wrong? I tried to use my Steam controller with Shovel Knight and it will not work. Similar experience with Grimrock II. I select a config, load the game, and only a few of the buttons work (and the mappings are not what the loaded config advertised).

Same thing with me. Only the trackpads and triggers work, right? I have firmware, beta client, configs picked etc but it just would not work in any game. Finally got it to work with only Pillars of Eternity though. I just do not know what is wrong. Tonight will be night 3 trying to make it work.

Layell

With messing around with the steam desktop controls I set it up for use in dolphin. I've just tried out Mario Galaxy along with Sin and Punishment, and oh boy does this controller deliver. Just be sure to set IR in Dolphin to cursor setting in the advanced options. This controller is what dreams are made of.

Nabs

With messing around with the steam desktop controls I set it up for use in dolphin. I've just tried out Mario Galaxy along with Sin and Punishment, and oh boy does this controller deliver. Just be sure to set IR in Dolphin to cursor setting in the advanced options. This controller is what dreams are made of.

You can add Dolphin as a shortcut, even having it link directly to the game you want to play. Just tried Super Mario Galaxy 2 and this is me right now.

kd9GJRK.gif

er....

They form additional buttons....

Read...

I think that's actually normal. The paddle buttons are actually flat underneath the battery cover. If you take off the battery cover, you'll see two triangle bits that stick out. Those actually press down adjacent (down and to the left or right) to where the battery ejectors are, which is where the actual paddle buttons are. The cover floats a bit due to that, so there is a gap between the paddles and controller, and the rest of the battery isn't flush with the controller either.

Hmm okay, if its normal I really don't like that it is the kind of thing I will just fiddle with all the time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If i'm surfing a normal windows browser. How do I bring up a keyboard to type?

Also. Has anyone noticed that if you configure one of the round pads clicks as a left hand mouse click. It sometimes doesn't work yet the trigger does? A bit odd that.

Crayon

If i'm surfing a normal windows browser. How do I bring up a keyboard to type?

Also. Has anyone noticed that if you configure one of the round pads clicks as a left hand mouse click. It sometimes doesn't work yet the trigger does? A bit odd that.

Not me. I bind that there alot and have always had it be reliable.

But this controller can bug out any given way t any given time so anything can happen.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not me. I bind that there alot and have always had it be reliable.

But this controller can bug out any given way t any given time so anything can happen.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's early days but really. I'm delighted with it.

metalshade

Steam Controller - Client Beta Update

• Improved active area of trackpads
  • Rescaled edge spin radius to always extend to the edge of the trackpad

Really hoping this fixes some of the issues I've had

• Nice nice, hope this fixes the issue you and me and a few others were having, looking forward to testing this out.

Iorv3th

I can't get gyro to work.

And when I aim with the right touchpad, it's like there is jittering. It is really hard to aim.

You need to mess with the sensitivity. Try using mouse dampening if you can. It is so that when you aim while pressing a button the sensitivity goes down so it won't move around.

Can anyone explain the gyro functionality to me? Inexplicably, when I set it up myself or use seemingly popular configurations, I have to move the controller several feet to get the gyro to react.

PnCIa

This thing is getting better every minute i am using it. I saw that you can be very, very precise with it when i picked it up for the first time, but my brain is not used to have so much precision on a thing thats held like a controller. I can totally feel that i am adjusting though and it starts to click more and more. Once i used this enough i can actually see myself obtaining near mouse level precision :D

Valve reeeeeaaaaalllly needs to implement a voting system for the community configs though. Like...that needs to be the top priority for the steam controller team right now imo.

I fucking love this damn controller. I grew up using a trackball and not a mouse, so I was really hoping that the trackball mode on this would be realistic enough and it totally is. I've played a hefty chunk of Serious Sam 3 with this and am absolutely loving it, especially after Croteam patched in Steam Controller button prompts.

Also, this controller wouldn't be nearly as fantastic without the gyro. For first person games I suggest trying trackball aiming w/ gyro enabled when you press LT to aim down sights. Works great.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So how do I fix the issue of not being able to use this in Fallout 4? Once I get to the menu I can't do anything.

Are you using it as a kbm or as a controller? Fallout 4 unfortunately does not allow you to mix the two types of controls.

Once fallout 4 detects a gamepad style controller it pretty much locks out kbm and you have to go to the in-game settings and disable controller. Poor decision on Bethesda's part.

Oreoleo

The new update today went a long way to address the dead spot issues I was having with the right pad. Glad they were so prompt to do something about it :)

Progress has been slow and steady but every time I use this controller I like it a little bit more.

Today's update

Big Picture
  • Changed the default ambient music volume to off, use the Settings->Audio page to change this setting
  • Added new option to control how the left Steam Controller touchpad scrolls Web pages (see "Web Browser" settings)
  • Fixed zooming in web browser
  • Fixed going back to the main menu when selecting some pages inside of settings
  • Fixed Steam Community landing page not loading in Italian
  • Fixed being unable to navigate to the right column of Friends settings
  • Fixed some Steam/XInput controller buttons showing up as "UNKNOWN" when binding shortcuts (ie., taking a screenshot)

Steam Controller
  • Improved active area of trackpads
  • Rescaled edge spin radius to always extend to the edge of the trackpad
  • Reworked D-pad layout selection and added a new layout, Cross Gate
  • Added a new feature, Controller HUD. It can be toggled from the overlay while in-game to visualize keyboard, D-pad and analog stick emulated output
  • Touch Menu Buttons can now optionally have labels on/off.
  • Improved Mouse Joystick sampling to reduce jitter and improve responsiveness.
  • Added to ability to select icons and colors for Touch Menu bindings
  • Added haptics feedback to the Joystick Move mode
  • Fixed some multi-key bindings showing only the first key/button

Mac OS X
  • Fixed Steam Controller failing to work after exiting and relaunching Big Picture mode without restarting Steam
  • Fixed web pages displaying at 1/4 of their correct size under Big Picture

I need to try this stuff out

Only tried it with Fallout 4 so far using the official Bethesda setup. Not bad at all. I felt aiming at fast moving enemies close up was difficult but I'm not sure I would have faired much better with a regular controller.

MattyG

Banned
Ahhhh, I'm so torn on this. I want to get one so I can hook my PC up to my TV and play Fallout 4 with a wireless controller, but some of the reviews I've watched have been pretty down on it for FPS. Sounds like analog emulation is problematic and M/KB emulation has a lot of jerky swiping to turn aroung.

I may go pick one up tomorrow, but I'm not sure yet.

mneuro

It finally clicked. I spent another couple of hours with CSGO using Gyro plus right trackpad controls. Gyro is the only way to play FPS games with this controller.

viveks86

After the update, the "mouse joystick" works really well now. Seems like a fantastic workaround for games that don't support analog and mouse simultaneously. The haptics for analog joystick are good too. There's a satisfying "tap" when you push it to the edge. Outer ring bindings works perfectly as well.

Been obsessively tweaking the controls for MGS V and I think I'm all set at this point. I can now move, run, crouch and crawl with just the left touch pad (joystick move with outer ring binding). After mapping left grip to "Y", dive goes on the left side as well. So all forms of movement are on the left, which feels very intuitive. Similarly, interaction and camera (mouse joystick with trackball mode) are on the right. Mapped X to right pad click, which makes it very convenient to pick up stuff as I walk around without moving my thumb. Right grip is mapped to A.

Interestingly, I find that it feels much better to aim with the right touch pad and fire with the left trigger. So I've mapped the soft pull for aim and trigger click for fire on the left side, instead of the right. This helps with any micro movements that happen when aiming and firing with the same hand, especially since I play with very high sensitivity. The trackball mode feels really good with low friction. I can turn 720 degrees with a casual swipe and accurately stop at any point!

Analog stick and face buttons have been relegated to secondary commands like equipment change, screenshot etc. I truly think that's the way this controller should be used, given their placement.

I'm finally starting to "get" this controller.

Over-Run

Anybody set up PCSX2 with it?
It picks up most of the buttons when I try config it besides L1 R1 L2 R2 L3 R3 and the directionals.
Then when I launch games in steam with it, the games are minimized. Not sure what to do

Eusis

The haptic feedback for the left trackpad as an analog stick will definitely help for adapting to it as a way to move around. I'm kind of having an issue there like with the bottom right of the right pad being a dead zone when it comes to Borderlands 2 at least, in that I keep tapping the right side by mistake when trying to press Back. Otherwise though it feels like my time with it now went better than last time I tried this, shame Portal 2 doesn't support left pad haptics properly.

Are you using it as a kbm or as a controller? Fallout 4 unfortunately does not allow you to mix the two types of controls.

Once fallout 4 detects a gamepad style controller it pretty much locks out kbm and you have to go to the in-game settings and disable controller. Poor decision on Bethesda's part.

So I can't use a custom config for the Steam Controller with keyboard/mouse settings? Because using the Bethesda setup is fun and all but it's missing a lot of stuff I want.

MattyG

Banned

So it's going to show keyboard prompts instead of controller prompts if you use mouse aiming?

Nzyme32

So I can't use a custom config for the Steam Controller with keyboard/mouse settings? Because using the Bethesda setup is fun and all but it's missing a lot of stuff I want.

- You have to use either a keyboard and mouse binding set or a gamepad binding set. You can't use a mixed one since the game doesn't support simultaneous input of both.
- Fallout games 3, NV & 4, lockdown the control scheme when opening and doesn't autodetect after that. You need to go to the in game menu and tell it to be gamepad only or mouse and keyboard only, to suit whatever your set up is.

Eusis

You switch the controller over (if the overlay pops up anyway), turn off the controller, then flip back to the bindings you actually want. Hopefully Bethesda patches in simultanous keyboard/mouse/gamepad controls (doubly so if they do this for all their older games) or someone mods a way in for that. At least as a third option other than just "controller on/off."

By the way, does anyone have any good reason for why that even became standard practice? To eliminate errant kb/m input? A serious technical reason? Just seemed like a good practice for some reason? Because it's kind of biting us on the ass in retrospect, and probably wasn't all that hot of an idea even before if someone wanted to, say, use an MMO mouse or whatever so they move around with the gamepad and the mouse for aiming/camera control, though that admittedly would've been a fringe case.

viveks86

I'm digging the mouse dampening options. Now I'm able to use my desktop with very good precision even with high sensitivity. Was having trouble clicking on tiny buttons and text hyperlinks. Not anymore

- You have to use either a keyboard and mouse binding set or a gamepad binding set. You can't use a mixed one since the game doesn't support simultaneous input of both.
- Fallout games 3, NV & 4, lockdown the control scheme when opening and doesn't autodetect after that. You need to go to the in game menu and tell it to be gamepad only or mouse and keyboard only, to suit whatever your set up is.

Alright bear with me.

So I pick a mouse and keyboard binding set. Edit it with other keyboard and mice controls that I want. But where do I tell it to be only game pad or only keyboard/mouse? And shouldn't it just be keyboard with controller off if the controller is emulating them?

I dunno. I'm lost and confused with this. The only option I see is controller on or off. And what overlay are we talking about?
The BPM?

Iorv3th

Did they mess up the controller recently or what?

I just tried the official valve bindings for CS:GO. Just absolutely garbage. The buy button doesn't work, and you can't change it, no matter what I tried to edit it wouldn't take. The sensitivity was so ridiculously high it just felt like they just put something out that nobody would ever be satisfied with and I don't understand that decision.

But the fact I couldn't edit the buttons to bind to a keyboard button. Only options that they had set "buy, next weapon, etc". Except the buy button didn't work. Just nuts. This controller was working so well on the early launch.

Did they mess up the controller recently or what?

I just tried the official valve bindings for CS:GO. Just absolutely garbage. The buy button doesn't work, and you can't change it, no matter what I tried to edit it wouldn't take. The sensitivity was so ridiculously high it just felt like they just put something out that nobody would ever be satisfied with and I don't understand that decision.

But the fact I couldn't edit the buttons to bind to a keyboard button. Only options that they had set "buy, next weapon, etc". Except the buy button didn't work. Just nuts. This controller was working so well on the early launch.

You could just press the start button to access legacy bindings, of course. No idea why buy isn't working, but you can open the same menu with the Use/E key. My csgo config works perfectly.

Been fooling around with it a little more. Pretty good for 2D games. I've been playing Strider and Ori and the Blind Forest. No complaints there. Tried The Witcher 3 and The Evil Within, and I've already come across some things I dislike: 1.) No simultaneous input between joystick and haptic pad clicking. [e.g. Moving with the joystick while trying to switch weapons with the directional pad doesn't work.] 2.) Can't claw grip like you can on the Xbox 360 controller to where you can move with the left joystick and use the right hand to manipulate buttons along with the right joystick simultaneously. A reduction in function moving from already existing controllers, which is somewhat forgivable since I don't do this with many games.

I plan on trying the controller with Thief 1 and 2 pretty soon. I imagine it'll fare pretty well.

Hylian7

I started working on a control layout for Arma 3 using headtracking. This thing actually works out pretty well for that game. I've nearly got it done.

XBP

It's largely incomplete and not worth using tbh >_<
It's basically just the default with sprint on the left bumper, grenade on the right, and prone of the right grip. I can't get myself very much invested in it because I can't figure how I should handle my mouse in an FPS game. I have my mouse around default sensitivity with trackball on, but I find that my aim is all over the place and I'm often let down by reaching the edge of the trackpad and having to move my thumb to be able to aim at the guy shooting me again. Dunno if I should change to a setting with a camera type that maintains movement in a direction if your thumb is near the edge, or if maybe I just need smaller and more rigid movements with my thumb. But yeah, I think it was extremely lucky I managed to do as well as I did despite fighting the controller the whole time.

Damn. I really need to see what other people are doing in FPS games online. I just cant seem to get a hang of the controls. If i use just the right trackpad as a mouse, I cant aim at all. Enabling gyro using the left trigger (aim down sights) makes it impossible to aim because gyro makes the crosshair move everywhere.

Shawsie64

Banned
Damn. I really need to see what other people are doing in FPS games online. I just cant seem to get a hang of the controls. If i use just the right trackpad as a mouse, I cant aim at all. Enabling gyro using the left trigger (aim down sights) makes it impossible to aim because gyro makes the crosshair move everywhere.

Have a look at Gamermuscle's videos.. Really good setups. I'm playing Battlefield 4 with his setup and its really amazing, extremely accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuO9M0WuMg

Layell

I hope the add a few more software updates for the controller in particular:
-setting what buttons appear on overlay (I would just want the touchpads ideally)
-having your own personal templates with the type of sensitivity and button layout you tend to like
-allow some mode shifts to happen just by clicking the respective button so you don't have to hold forever

(before someone tells me these features are all there somewhere already)

Oreoleo

Have a look at Gamermuscle's videos.. Really good setups. I'm playing Battlefield 4 with his setup and its really amazing, extremely accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuO9M0WuMg

Thanks for posting this. Seeing him do the 1 to 1 movement was an eye opener. I guess I had my gyro settings set way too low initially, but I just spent another hour playing HL2 with it turned up a bit and it's a real game changer. Steam controller inches closer to my heart yet again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/3skca7/steam_client_beta_update_nov_12th/

Hey all,

There's going to be a new feature added on the next client beta update. I've been in contact with someone over at Valve, offering controller feedback and the like. I recently sent him an email about using Gyro Mode and Mouse Joystick mode at the same time.

The problem: Using Mouse Joystick mode refers you to using ingame joystick sensitivity. With gyro mode, you generally want it to be a slower sensitivity than the right pad (so the pad is quick motion, the gyro is precise aiming). Since the sensitivities are made the same by deferring to in game sensitivity, you can't really use the gyro to make precise shots.

I received an email back saying:

Sensitivity doesn&#8217;t exactly make sense with how the Mouse Joystick works. We&#8217;ve actually removed the setting and redirected users to adjust the in-game joystick sensitivity. Given that, I&#8217;ve added a new setting when using it on the gyro that allows you to set a relative scale, so you can decrease the effective sensitivity relative to what is on the pad.
He also mentioned later that this relative scale gyro bar wasn't added on this update, but will be in the next update for sure. So look forward to that!

also Woodsie's Fallout 4 vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exw15n2epps

Nzyme32

Alright bear with me.

So I pick a mouse and keyboard binding set. Edit it with other keyboard and mice controls that I want. But where do I tell it to be only game pad or only keyboard/mouse? And shouldn't it just be keyboard with controller off if the controller is emulating them?

I dunno. I'm lost and confused with this. The only option I see is controller on or off. And what overlay are we talking about?
The BPM?

Use this video tutorial on setting the controller for Fallout 4. This guy has done some great bindings before, and he seems very happy with this one he made

woen

Did people tried it on Mac OS ? Especially for non-Steam games or other applications. Would love to play point&clicks with that, Simcity or even Dolphin (someone above said it worked so I guess I can configure it on Mac too even though I'm not good with that part.

Top Bottom