• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Human_me

They only seem to sell it with steam wallet credit on top though =/

Yeah that is a bit annoying, but the cheapest is £60 for the Controller & £20 Steam Wallet.
At the end of the day the controller is still £40.

With the wallet card you can either gift it, sell it or just spend it (I would wait till the Steam Sale though)
In a way your not losing any money.
Plus as Dangerblade said:
Yeah, free delivery compared to £7 from Steam too.

So it ends up being a better deal through game anyway, considering through steam it would cost you £47 to get it shipped to your house and you wait till December.

I went with game and I'm keeping the £20 for the winter sale.
I did free delivery and it arrived the day after it was dispatched.

EDIT: Plus if the controller ends up being faulty, you just send it back to game and they will give you a new one, You wouldn't have to spend a load to send it to America.

Oreoleo

Have you uploaded that config? I'd love to try it out man!

Sure dude I just uploaded it for you under my GAF name. I use some custom bindings when I'm using my keyboard (eg, EADF instead of WASD) that were reflected in my controller settings but I think I got everything set to the default keys before I uploaded it to the public. Just a forewarning in case something doesn't do what it's supposed to do, BUT I labeled pretty much everything so it should be easy to figure out what's what if something got lost in translation. Should be good though, hope you like it!

LilJoka

Yeah that is a bit annoying, but the cheapest is £60 for the Controller & £20 Steam Wallet.
At the end of the day the controller is still £40.

With the wallet card you can either gift it, sell it or just spend it (I would wait till the Steam Sale though)
In a way your not losing any money.
Plus as Dangerblade said:

So it ends up being a better deal through game anyway, considering through steam it would cost you £47 to get it shipped to your house and you wait till December.

I went with game and I'm keeping the £20 for the winter sale.
I did free delivery and it arrived the day after it was dispatched.

EDIT: Plus if the controller ends up being faulty, you just send it back to game and they will give you a new one, You wouldn't have to spend a load to send it to America.

Ah good points

Might as well get 4. I can use two of them in my Xbone controller.

What are you guys doing with the smoothing setting for the right trackpad and gyro? I'm unsure whether it should be high or low as I've seen people do different things for FPS games.

You should set it to the lowest value where the cursor doesn't jitter when you're just resting your thumb on the pad. This will be a different value depending on the sensitivity setting, and depending on the person (some people seem to be twitchier than others, or something).

Agent X

Sounds like Amazon have put the wrong link in by accident. You should let them know.

That's a good suggestion. I have just done exactly that, in case this might benefit other users with the same issue.

For what it's worth, here's a portion of the E-mail that Amazon sent:

Thank you for purchasing your Steam product from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that your order entitles you to a Steam code valid for a free download of Portal 2.
To redeem your code, visit https://store.steampowered.com/account/redeemwalletcode.

(The above is for Portal 2. The message with the Rocket League code had "Rocket League" instead of "Portal 2", but gave the same URL.)

Of course, if you do exactly what these instructions advise, you'll run into a problem.

The solution is to launch the Steam application (instead of going to the Web site), then go to the Games menu at the top and select "Activate a Product on Steam...".

I don't know whether or not there is another URL on the Steam site that allows you to activate these codes, but the Steam application definitely works for this purpose.

Been trying to make a new config for fallout 4 that works best for me and i finally got one but i ran into a huge issue, even with the both thr controller and in game sensitivity turned to max its still really slow imo. Anyone know how to fix that?

Btw, im using the controller layout since navigating the menu is a huge pain in the ass using a m+k layout

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Been trying to make a new config for fallout 4 that works best for me and i finally got one but i ran into a huge issue, even with the both thr controller and in game sensitivity turned to max its still really slow imo. Anyone know how to fix that?

Btw, im using the controller layout since navigating the menu is a huge pain in the ass using a m+k layout
Give this a try: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/3spxs8/fallout_4_with_gamepad_settings/

It allows for tweaking in game sensitivity way beyond the slider. About 2.5 was good enough for me.

Eusis

Where would one go to make suggestions? Seeing the hit boxes via the controller HUD makes me think it'd be great if we could adjust the size of those depending on the game and your own tendencies, I.E. adjusting the cross gate so the cardinal directions are even larger and the diagonal spots smaller.

And anyone else notice there are official System Shock 2 bindings? Picture menu too on the left pad.

Where would one go to make suggestions? Seeing the hit boxes via the controller HUD makes me think it'd be great if we could adjust the size of those depending on the game and your own tendencies, I.E. adjusting the cross gate so the cardinal directions are even larger and the diagonal spots smaller.

And anyone else notice there are official System Shock 2 bindings? Picture menu too on the left pad.

It's in the OP

C1LeLwe.png

Padinn

Sometimes when I exit fallout 4 Steam Big Picture mode does not take up my entire screen - its like its in some windowed mode. Any one else run into this and have any ideas?

Foxyone

Perhaps a silly question, but is there any way the Steam controller could turn on the computer that the dongle is plugged into (or could software be implemented to allow such a feature)?

Pachimari

That's your problem. Google it and figure it out.

I would prefer you didn't respond if you can't help. Yes, it is my problem, and if someone else had the same problem and had figured it out, maybe they could share. Especially as somebody here said it worked.

Blizzard

Banned
I would prefer you didn't respond if you can't help. Yes, it is my problem, and if someone else had the same problem and had figured it out, maybe they could share. Especially as somebody here said it worked.
Unfortunately (WHY? Is this because of SecuROM or something?) Mass Effect's page on Steam says that you have to run the game as administrator in Windows 7 or Vista. With UAC (User Account Control) enabled, that may mean you also have to run Steam as administrator for the overlay to work, and that's normally something you really want to avoid (for security reasons and to avoid potentially causing other issues).

However, it runs for me in Windows 7 64-bit mode, without admin, and the Steam overlay works.

One thing you might try for Windows 7 is this, from a Steam forum post:
I had the same problem. I have Windows 7, 64-bit, and I've been messing with work-arounds and I THINK I've found one.

Go to where your game is saved (C: .../Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Mass Effect)
Open the Binaries folder.
Right-click the MassEffect.exe file (the main executable)
Click 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'
A pop-up screen should come up with 2 choices.
>Pick Troubleshoot Issues
Then click the one about Display issues
Then it will make changes & ask you to test the game.
When it works, minimize OR close the game so you can go back to that pop-up...
...and click 'save settings' or however it's worded.

One last idea: If you have RTSS or Fraps running, try closing both of those before launching the game.

Pachimari

Thank you Blizzard, these are things I can work with. I'm on Windows 10 but it might actually help.

[edit]
I tried turning off Fraps, and also Windows notifications, because a box pops up before the game starts up, asking me if I will allow Mass Effect to make changes to my computer. That didn't work out either.

And when I do what it says in the quote, I just get a application load error.

Lork

PSO2 seemed to be a bit of a pain to get working, owing partly to the fact that the game can depend on a different launcher to work (PSO2 tweaker). Had to add the tweaker as the non-Steam game and run Steam as admin before the game stopped crashing before it started.

I can't claim to feel completely comfortable with the controller yet, but there's definitely more functionality to be had out of it than the 360 controller I had been using. With numpad 1-8 bound to the mode-shifted D-pad and ABXY buttons, I readily / easily have access to more technics / skills than the one available hotkey the Xbox setup can use at a time.
???

How did you get PSO2 working? The game ignores all input from the controller regardless of whether Steam is running in administrator mode or not.

Edit: Apparently it depends on how you activate administrator mode. Doing it from the start menu doesn't work, but doing it from explorer does for some reason.

Nabs

Dishonored feels great with trackball aim and gyro lean. This controller is legit.

I was just trying to help you pinpoint your problem. *shrug*

Gruso

Yep, and it's still saying it'll ship to Australia at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016KBVBCS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Weird thing though... I just checked my tracking and it says delivered and signed for. It certainly isn't, not least because it's the weekend. I hope that just means it's changed hands to Auspost or something - although I've never noticed that happen in the tracking.
Turns out it was delivered. Two days on the porch, no signature... GG, DHL!

Pachimari

I was just trying to help you pinpoint your problem. *shrug*
I were actually not sure how I should interpret your post. So I am sincerely sorry that I reacted the wrong way Nubs. I just didn't find it that helpful because I had already used google and couldn't find anything but I thank you anyway. :)

Foxyone

I don't think the controller can do anything like it at the moment, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a "sequential binding" type of mode. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it would allow the setup of a series of inputs that have a customizable delay between each one. For instance, you could have a password to unlock a computer bound to an obscure / out of the way button combination and it could input each password character like 1 ms apart or something. Or maybe in games like WoW it could be used for something basic like a "buff button" that would activate the keys for all your casting buffs, with the input of each key delayed based on the cast time of each spell.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I were actually not sure how I should interpret your post. So I am sincerely sorry that I reacted the wrong way Nubs. I just didn't find it that helpful because I had already used google and couldn't find anything but I thank you anyway. :)

Yeah, the misunderstanding appears to hinge on where you place emphasis.

"That's your problem."

"That's your problem."

Gruso

I don't think the controller can do anything like it at the moment, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a "sequential binding" type of mode. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it would allow the setup of a series of inputs that have a customizable delay between each one. For instance, you could have a password to unlock a computer bound to an obscure / out of the way button combination and it could input each password character like 1 ms apart or something. Or maybe in games like WoW it could be used for something basic like a "buff button" that would activate the keys for all your casting buffs, with the input of each key delayed based on the cast time of each spell.
Macros are what you seek. I like your ideas, but I reckon it would open a can of worms. Imagine people using them for Steet Fighter combos etc.

There are mice and keyboards that do it though...

Blizzard

Banned
Thank you Blizzard, these are things I can work with. I'm on Windows 10 but it might actually help.

[edit]
I tried turning off Fraps, and also Windows notifications, because a box pops up before the game starts up, asking me if I will allow Mass Effect to make changes to my computer. That didn't work out either.

And when I do what it says in the quote, I just get a application load error.
That box asking if you will allow Mass Effect to make changes to your computer means it's probably trying to launch in administrator mode. You may have to allow that (DRM? Are you running the Steam version of Mass Effect 1?) to run it.

I tried using the desktop keyboard, but had bugs today. I ran into the double-press bug that was already mentioned, and also had stuff where the keyboard seemed to stop installing.

I also played Shatter for a while, and Steam + the big picture mode crashed entirely while I was trying to configure the controller. *edit* And then Shatter crashed once I restarted Steam and resumed the game. *edit* Despite the overlay issues, Shatter with the community binding, and some adjustment (like disabling the left thumbpad) works quite well. I kind of love the right thumbpad on that game.

Veal

Sure dude I just uploaded it for you under my GAF name. I use some custom bindings when I'm using my keyboard (eg, EADF instead of WASD) that were reflected in my controller settings but I think I got everything set to the default keys before I uploaded it to the public. Just a forewarning in case something doesn't do what it's supposed to do, BUT I labeled pretty much everything so it should be easy to figure out what's what if something got lost in translation. Should be good though, hope you like it!
Dude it's great! I need to redownload most of my mods, but the little but I got to play was excellent! Man this controller is truly amazing. It's amazing how well it works in games you'd think would have a problem with it. Just played D4. It was like it was made for the steam controller!

Ghazi

It's probably because it's different, but I find myself horribly inaccurate with the right touch pad. I also wish the ABXY buttons were bigger. It's pretty crazy just how many settings there are to tinker with, I'm sure I could come up with something perfect for myself by putting some time into that. I find myself downloading the community configs for games, usually.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
When you are in none big picture mode. If you use a normal browser. How do you launch the keyboard?

Blizzard

Banned
Press the thumbstick. But it only works if big picture mode is on, but minimized.
And be aware that there seems to be some bug where the keyboard can lose focus somehow and you have to use the real mouse, and/or when you go back into big picture mode, any button press on the controller registers as TWO button presses until you power the controller off and back on. (hopefully that last bug will be fixed soon)

I dunno what version started causing this, but I can no longer open Witcher 3 (gog version) from Steam, either in desktop or big picture mode. Does anyone else have this issue?

Grabbed mine instore at Game at the weekend, £45 no free game though.

It's definitely taking a while to get used to, I'm finding FPS games insanely difficult to fine tune the sensitivity for but then I'm loving the fact that I can sit in bed and play point and click games!

XBP

Getting better at FPS games using the controller. Almost have a good BF4 profile, just need to mess with the sensitivity settings a little more.

Overall I see this performing 70-75% like a mouse/keyboard for FPS but it for sure wont replace keyboard and mouse.

riflen

Might as well get 4. I can use two of them in my Xbone controller.

What are you guys doing with the smoothing setting for the right trackpad and gyro? I'm unsure whether it should be high or low as I've seen people do different things for FPS games.

This depends on how you prefer sensitivites to be set and how much latency bothers you.
Smoothing will add latency to the input reponse. Personally, the increase in latency caused by having smoothing at default can make me feel nauseous in some games. I mainly use the right pad to orientate the character and not for fine adjustment, so I turn all smoothing off for any mouse input.

This works fine for me, but then I prefer camera movement with the pad to be relatively fast (about 45 degrees camera movement from a swift swipe) and use the gyro to aim for the most part.
Usually I use mouse mode, trackball disabled, leave pad sensitivity at default, acceleration to low and adjust the game sensitivity to suit me. I also turn down vertical axis sensitivity by half.
Gyro is the same, except sensitivity is lowered from default by two notches. I prefer gyro always on.

These settings work really well for me. I'm playing games like Borderlands, Bioshock Infinite and Sniper Elite, so nothing particularly taxing.

XBP

This depends on how you prefer sensitivites to be set and how much latency bothers you.
Smoothing will add latency to the input reponse. Personally, the increase in latency caused by having smoothing at default can make me feel nauseous in some games. I mainly use the right pad to orientate the character and not for fine adjustment, so I turn all smoothing off for any mouse input.

This works fine for me, but then I prefer camera movement with the pad to be relatively fast (about 45 degrees camera movement from a swift swipe) and use the gyro to aim for the most part.
Usually I use mouse mode, trackball disabled, leave pad sensitivity at default, acceleration to low and adjust the game sensitivity to suit me. I also turn down vertical axis sensitivity by half.
Gyro is the same, except sensitivity is lowered from default by two notches. I prefer gyro always on.

These settings work really well for me. I'm playing games like Borderlands, Bioshock Infinite and Sniper Elite, so nothing particularly taxing.

Pad sensitivity is something that I'm still working on in my BF4 binding. The overlay says to reduce the ingame sensitivity and work with the hardware to change how sensitive the mouse should be. Currently I have the ingame mouse sensitivity in BF4 set to 5% and I'm changing the BPM sensitivity setting. My main problem right now is the mouse movements during camera rotation and aiming when firing. If I set the sensitivity high, I cant aim properly because the cursor moves everywhere. Setting it low makes me swipe at the trackpad a couple of times which makes it hard to aim and fire in time.

Plus I'm not sure how everyone is using gyro in online games as I can only use it effectively when firing at long ranges. At medium to close range because the reaction time has to be within a second, using gyro completely ruins my aim.

Lyon

I've been tinkering with gyro controls for racing games for the past few days, I've seen other people attempt it but so far I haven't seen a video of anyone actually get anywhere near wheel functionality.

If the gyro controls resemble joystick controls then this is just a gimmick with no real benefit, but if you remove the deadzone and get the sensitivity and dampening right then this is one application where I believe the Steam Controller easily outperforms a standard controller in every way.

Project CARS video with gyro.

Nzyme32

Lol, Woodsie has an interesting view on IGN's coverage of the Steam Controller - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCqMhLQFQRk

While I wouldn't go that far, they certainly didn't make any attempt to properly explore the controller's features, nor did they adequately discuss anything about the bindings, options available nor the good and bad of the current state of it.

Dishonored feels great with trackball aim and gyro lean. This controller is legit.

Need to try the whole gyro lean thing. Dishonoured sounds like a nice place to start.

Beckx

Almost at the one week point and I'm starting to love the controller.

My adjustment for Fallout 4 is pretty much done. I'm actually just using the default Bethesda gamepad config and no longer struggling. I had to turn off gyro due to the jittery movement (F4's view bob already makes me nauseous after a while, so anything on top of that is no good).

Played a lot of Darkest Dungeon & Pillars of Eternity on my TV via the Link and loved it. Tried out Starbound and, well, it works and there's a lot of clever ideas (quick switching to build tools is neat) but it's going to take a long time before I think I'd ever be good at combat with it.

Twin stick shooters aren't working as well for me. I need to work on a config for Nuclear Throne because too many times the right pad aiming "sticks" and won't aim properly.

But all in all the controller + link combo is pretty much a dream, easy kicking back to play most of my Steam library on the TV without moving my laptop or getting another PC.

I am curious if anyone has come up with something for Black Ops 2 that works? I tried a couple of first person recommendations and they both were terrible but I think they were geared more towards CS:GO.

Can you search the control configs?

Almost at the one week point and I'm starting to love the controller.

My adjustment for Fallout 4 is pretty much done. I'm actually just using the default Bethesda gamepad config and no longer struggling. I had to turn off gyro due to the jittery movement (F4's view bob already makes me nauseous after a while, so anything on top of that is no good).

Played a lot of Darkest Dungeon & Pillars of Eternity on my TV via the Link and loved it. Tried out Starbound and, well, it works and there's a lot of clever ideas (quick switching to build tools is neat) but it's going to take a long time before I think I'd ever be good at combat with it.

Twin stick shooters aren't working as well for me. I need to work on a config for Nuclear Throne because too many times the right pad aiming "sticks" and won't aim properly.

But all in all the controller + link combo is pretty much a dream, easy kicking back to play most of my Steam library on the TV without moving my laptop or getting another PC.

Quick question, are you emulating the gamepad or mouse & keyboard for Fallout 4?
I played around with it yesterday but couldn't get it to a satisfactory setting for the aiming until I realised it was using the in game gamepad setting.

The latest beta update included support for gyro lean, and Dishonored supports Q/E on the keyboard. You can check out my bindings if you're interested in the overall setup.

Ooh nice, I'm going to reinstall Dishonored just to try this. Steam controller gets better with every update.

Top Bottom