• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nete

Has anyone figured out how to get the controller/overlay to work with Star Wars Battlefront yet?

During the Battlefront Beta I used this to get Steam overlay on it and not having to deal with Origin itself. It should still do the trick to get BPM and the Steam Controller for the full game (or any other Origin title).

1- Add the game's .exe on Steam as usual.
2- Check the game properties on Steam. On 'Target", and after a blank space, add the path to Origin's .exe. For instance, the Target on my Battlefront beta looks like this:

"D:\jocs\Origin Games\STAR WARS Battlefront Beta\starwarsbattlefront.exe" "D:\jocs\Origin\Origin.exe"

3- Go to Origin application settings. In "General", uncheck "Automatically launch Origin when I log on to Win”. In "Origin in Game", uncheck “Enable Origin In Game” to disable Origin overlay as it can give you some troubles with Steam overlay. In “Advanced”, check “Automatically exit Origin after closing game”. You will only need to do this once.

With this, when you launch the game from Steam Origin will also be launched and then the game, and you should have full access to Steam overlay. Once you exit the game, Origin will be automatically closed.

CO_Andy

Not sure how you've managed that. No issues with the eneloops.
Tried 3 different batteries brands (including a pair eneloops), and none of them are as small as the included Duracells.

I know this is not an isolated problem as a few folks over on the Steamcontroller reddit have reported the same.

What exactly did you stick in there?
Amazon Basic rechargeable batteries, which are basically a rebranded Eneloops.

Jebral

So my experiences with the original Dead Space are.... Eye opening? Revelatory? Something like that! I haven't played this game since back in the shiny new PS3 days, always going back to part 2 since the PC version had some control issues I could never sort out. Huge gamepad sensitivity and dead zone issues and totally jacked up mouse sensitivity problems too. Apparently the mouse issues were vsync related, so I just forced it in the nvidia control panel and the mouse issues were fixed (This never worked back when I was trying to actually play the pc version. Oh, well, works now!)... Allowing me to properly bind the game to this pad!

I've put movement on the left pad with the click set to run and the interact button to the right pad click. Left grip is your menu, right is navigation. You still have to use your telekinesis gun with X, but the gyro makes that 100% workable. This game is amazing again.

I published my config but I don't know how to check to see if it's active or anything.

So neighbor had my package delivered to his house and stopped by to give it to me, fun times.

initial impressions time woo

-Going in I was afraid, due to initial reception both here and among the games media, that the thing would feel "cheap" but honestly that word doesn't at all describe my feeling with the controller while first holding it. Sound wise yeah the buttons have an interesting "hollow" acoustic but holding the thing makes me feel like I've got my hands on a really well constructed product.

- The diamond shaped buttons were also another complaint I heard frequently both with respect to their position and the small size, none of these bother me and I don't have what you'd call large hands. As of yet I've yet to come across a moment where I've wanted to hit "X" button and got "Y" as a result, the thing just works perfectly for my hand size I suppose.

- Holy crap the bumpers are horrid. Easily the most overtly "bad" thing about the controller in its current state. They take way too much pressure to actually press down and the transition from the trigger to the bumper just does not at all feel natural. Trying to use bumper while maintaining ones aim on a touchpad just does not work and my thumbs get way off base while trying to find a decent angle to hit the things. It genuinely feels like I have 2 less buttons at my disposal at any given time and it kills a lot of the 'theory configs' I was cooking up in my head before actually getting the product.

- The touchpads as a concept haven't sold me on the thing yet but they definitely feel a step up above what you'd find on analog. It's more the sheer amount of options that you can tune that makes me feel like finding the config thats just "right" for me is going to take some time. Smoothing helps a ton with going for higher sensitivity setups.

- People swoon about the gyro, and it's absolutely fantastic and definitely something one should try out for FPS games especially, but I think the least talked about "addition" to the gyro input is the haptics that go along with it, totally out of left field for me but they make the actual act of aiming feel much more ... deliberate? The small haptics that go along with using the gyro really help with refining my aim and allows a person to pick up that mode of control much faster I feel like. In other words, the "feel" of gyro thanks to haptics/rumble is both really good and something not a lot of people have touched on.

Foxyone

I got a chance to test the touch menu in an mmorpg (Aura Kingdom) and it seems pretty cool being able to bind a whole bunch of the various types of menus like skills, maps, character, bag, etc, to the left trackpad for easy access. Just need to be able to label each touch menu item. Especially when combined with UI scaling, I could see this controller not being too bad for casual mmo play on a couch.

Wish I could have got Elsword to work as well, but despite the Steam overlay working, the Steam controller didn't seem to be able to do anything in the game.

Eusis

Can't decide between a steam controller or an Xbox Elite... For casual PC gaming.
Unless you have money burning a hole in your wallet I'd think the Steam Controller would be the better choice. I guess there's something to be said for not customizing stuff, but then you could probably just wing all controller games with Joystick Mouse if real mouse mapping isn't a practical option, and it is more practical to play the likes of Civilization V and Pillars of Eternity with without fussing with mapping controls yourself or even testing community configs.

Actually if you really have money burning a hole in your wallet I'd run to both, but maybe that's just me liking to have as many options as is reasonable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't decide between a steam controller or an Xbox Elite... For casual PC gaming.

Do you want to fuck about for hours building configs because there's not a lot for 99% of Steam's library?

Yes: Steam Controller.
No: X-box 720 Elite controller.

Done.

Steam controller is not ready for prime-time despite what some evangelicals will attempt to say. You will spend a lot of time trying to get the controller to be "comfortable" for you. And if you're using it "casually" you're going to have a bad time.

The one edge the Steam controller has over the X-box controllers is keyboard/mouse binding support for older titles that don't have X-input or even DirectInput support. So it really REALLY depends on if you want to fuck about with bindings and are playing a bunch of really old no-controller-support titles and want to play them with a controller.

Nabs

Why would you spend 150 for casual PC gaming? Go with a regular 360/Xbox One/DS4 instead (if you're not sold on the Steam Controller). You could actually get a regular controller and a Steam controller for far less.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do you want to fuck about for hours building configs because there's not a lot for 99% of Steam's library?

1) Name 5 popular games without configs.

2) Don't bother, the default gamepad profile works with anything an xbox controller would work with anyway.

Nyoro SF

If I have one complaint, it's that the slider for "turbo" is kind of meaningless. I'd like to see an exact number for how many inputs per millisecond are being sent. I'm trying to set it for Ys Origin so I can play Hugo without my thumb falling off but I can't get the turbo rate to work with the game and it's immensely frustrating to adjust a bar with no units.

C'mon Valve, the first step of science problems... always label your units!

Eusis

1) Name 5 popular games without configs.

2) Don't bother, the default gamepad profile works with anything an xbox controller would work with anyway.
Just remember for anything where camera control really matters, IE shooters, to switch to Mouse Joystick if Mouse input isn't a workable solution (see: Bethesda RPGs.) simply emulating the analog stick works weirdly well with Rocket League, but then that's just for looking around the car without moving beyond a set boundary.

Blizzard

Banned
Any good games or tips for setting up motion controls for driving games?

I just tried it in Race the Sun but was having a hard time getting a good dead zone. With dead zone all the way down I couldn't find center/level at all but then even with the dead zone set 1 or 2 notches up it seemed like the dead zone was too big and I had to turn my hands an unnatural amount to get it to register input.
I only tried Project CARS, but have you tried holding the controller vertically like a steering wheel compared to horizontally like normal? I feel like it may register a little differently depending on how the gyro was centered or whatever.

Gruso

Done.

Steam controller is not ready for prime-time despite what some evangelicals will attempt to say. You will spend a lot of time trying to get the controller to be "comfortable" for you. And if you're using it "casually" you're going to have a bad time.

The one edge the Steam controller has over the X-box controllers is keyboard/mouse binding support for older titles that don't have X-input or even DirectInput support. So it really REALLY depends on if you want to fuck about with bindings and are playing a bunch of really old no-controller-support titles and want to play them with a controller.
I think the controller is literally injection moulded Jesus, but I have to agree with this. Time, patience and nerding out on configs is required to unlock its potential. Down the track, the firmware and config ecosystem will be much more mature, people will be getting the most out of it, and a great portion of the Steam catalogue will have a killer profile you can jump into without effort.

I'd love to tell everyone to buy it, but if you're not up for a challenge, wait a little.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Done.

My experience has been similar. I loved it for about a week. An update broke my ability to left click in one game and then I had a hell of a time getting a decent config set for aiming in a non-Steam version of GTA V. I've become really underwhelmed with the controller and haven't touched it weeks. I'll give it another go at some point.

Veal

Mouse joystick is a godsend in games ported from console that allow you to max out the sensitivity. Makes it really easy to change binds from there. Totally made Lost Planet 1&2 more awesome. Really underrated series.

We desperately need Vanquish on PC now! Native steam controller miss would be nice, but it needs to be here!

Blizzard

Banned
My experience has been similar. I loved it for about a week. An update broke my ability to left click in one game and then I had a hell of a time getting a decent config set for aiming in a non-Steam version of GTA V. I've become really underwhelmed with the controller and haven't touched it weeks. I'll give it another go at some point.
Out of curiosity, what game was that? I wonder if it got fixed since then.

I just picked one of these up today and I'm very much struggling to get it to behave how I want. I see the potential here, but I really don't want to be fiddling with my controller settings every time I boot a new game. Is there no way to create something in the template category myself? I just want to make a single FPS template and then use it all my FPS shooters. If I need to make small changes for sensitivity I will, but I generally just want to set stuff once and forget about it. I also feel like the face button are definitely way too far to the center of the controller, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that.

I don't know maybe this controller isn't meant for me. I actually like using gamepads and analog sticks even in shooters. I spent almost two decades using pretty much just that until I got a PC.

Ok no problem, its my first time uploading a config so idk how you'd find it but heres some info:

ID: 557149667
Dollars (Hero Prinny)'s binding (gamepad

also do the following:

Go to the Fallout4Prefs.ini (C:\Users[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini), under [Controls] put: fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=4.0 or whatever feels most comfortable for you. personally I rock with 3, my brother like 5, don't know how he plays with it like that @_@

EDIT: I'm having an issue here, every time i got into config controller steam keeps shutting down, its happened ever since I uploaded my config. I just switched to win10 also.

Awesome, cheers! I'll give it a blast when I get home from work.

Blizzard

Banned
I just picked one of these up today and I'm very much struggling to get it to behave how I want. I see the potential here, but I really don't want to be fiddling with my controller settings every time I boot a new game. Is there no way to create something in the template category myself? I just want to make a single FPS template and then use it all my FPS shooters. If I need to make small changes for sensitivity I will, but I generally just want to set stuff once and forget about it. I also feel like the face button are definitely way too far to the center of the controller, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that.

I don't know maybe this controller isn't meant for me. I actually like using gamepads and analog sticks even in shooters. I spent almost two decades using pretty much just that until I got a PC.
I do think the controller's more intended for using the pads / triggers / paddles than the face buttons. And if someone absolutely loves physical sticks, it may not make them very happy.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Out of curiosity, what game was that? I wonder if it got fixed since then.

Viridi. I just checked and it looks like it has been fixed. I also went back into GTA V and altered my right pad to work with the gyro. It seems to be working better. Still wish I had access to the community configurations with a non-Steam copy.

Also, now my Link is having really strange and annoying audio issues.

I am getting connection issues sitting less than 2m away from the pc (with line of sight). Anyone have any any idea why that is happening? Any solution?

I returned mine almost a month before GS coudln't refund me. The guy gave me a speech on how I wasnt supposed to return that and only get a new one. Then I showed him the return policy and re read it to him. Funny thing he said was, "and you're returning this a day before the warranty expires?" Umm yes.

Control looks great and all, has some really cool ideas. It just wasnt for me. It felt bulky. Used it rarely. I ended up buying the xbox one pc adapter. And thats the controller I use. The non elite one. Dont see myself going back to the steam controller unless a new model is out and is more suited to my needs.

datamage

Tried 3 different batteries brands (including a pair eneloops), and none of them are as small as the included Duracells.

I know this is not an isolated problem as a few folks over on the Steamcontroller reddit have reported the same.

Amazon Basic rechargeable batteries, which are basically a rebranded Eneloops.

I kinda had to force my Eneloops into the controller, they sure as hell didn't slide right in. Now I fear having to remove them...

Yudoken

Really weird, if you want to play with other controller you need to disable the steam controller, start the game and turn all other controller on and then turn it back on.
The Steam Controller works then with other controllers, tried it out with OlliOlli 2 and Rocket League.
Didn't they test at least Rocket Leagues if the game properly works with their and nromal 360 pads together?

I need some pretty charts/pictures for all those trigger pull options (hair trigger thing and such) cause those blocks of text don't help me picture in my mind what they mean.

I need some pretty charts/pictures for all those trigger pull options (hair trigger thing and such) cause those blocks of text don't help me picture in my mind what they mean.
I very much think there needs to be some sort of wizard to auto configure the controller. How the hell am I am supposed to know what angle my finger travels across the trackpad to set rotation? I was playing with the simulate an analog stick stuff and that actually felt right, but I couldn't get the sensitivity to something manageable it would almost always leap from 0-100% way too fast. I very much feel there's something here, but it isn't ready for mass market.

Someone made touch menu config for FTL: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr...none_of_the_publicly_published_profiles_were/

HVb12WT.png

9iiiz1L.png

looks pretty good

Lingitiz

Anyway to view Steam controller profiles for games you don't own? I have FarCry 4 on Uplay and want to grab one of the community bindings from the Steam version.

MattyG

Banned
I've been getting motion sick playing Fallout 4 since I started using this. Well, I played about 4 hours with no problems, but then the last 2 or 3 one hour sessions I've done I've been getting nauseous. It's really weird. I'm going to try a 360 pad and see if it's the game or the way the camera moves with the Steam Controller.

Over-Run

Was there an update that added 2 new buttons or something by rotating the gyro to do like leans and stuff? If so how can I use that? Will be so handy for games that allow leaning

Was there an update that added 2 new buttons or something by rotating the gyro to do like leans and stuff? If so how can I use that? Will be so handy for games that allow leaning

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/48772973975766962

Added Gyro Mouse & Gyro Mouse Joystick Lean bindings. You can use the non-aiming Gyro axis (generally roll) to bind two new actions when tilting on that axis. So an FPS could look with the gyro pitch and yaw, while leaning/dodging with the roll

madjoki

Anyway to view Steam controller profiles for games you don't own? I have FarCry 4 on Uplay and want to grab one of the community bindings from the Steam version.

It's not user friendly way, but you can get via steamapi.

Code:
https://api.steampowered.com/IPublishedFileService/QueryFiles/v1/?key=[apikey]&numperpage=100&query_type=11&filetype=15&return_metadata=1&page=1&appid=298110

You need api key from http://steamcommunity.com/dev/

Anyone experiencing inconsistency with the Turbo function? First tried it in Dustforce trying to bind the dash key to a turbo function and found that the dude would just stop dashing at random intervals. Thought it was the interval at first and it seems to be a problem that stays consistent at any range of intervals, the game itself doesn't seem to be reading a number of inputs when using the thing in turbo mode, manually dashing I just found to be way more effective. Turned on haptics and found that the thing was pulsing in time with whatever I had the interval setup with so it never "felt" like the thing was missing the inputs even if the game itself was reading a fraction of them.

Thinking it was a Dustforce related problem I booted up KOF13 and tried to see how consistently I could get out Ralf's mash move (it stays out indefinitely so long as you keep mashing a punch button) and found myself with the same situation, he would just stop at some times, as if the game wasn't reading a part of the turbo inputs that the controller was sending. I'm less than a foot away from my receiver so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be here aside from the turbo function as a whole just being a bit glitched atm.

I should note that, thinking that it was potentially a problem with the button i had assigned to turbo, that I tried multiple buttons both on the diamond and on the triggers and still found the same 'dropped input' problem.

This works absolutely beautifully

Anyone experiencing inconsistency with the Turbo function? First tried it in Dustforce trying to bind the dash key to a turbo function and found that the dude would just stop dashing at random intervals. Thought it was the interval at first and it seems to be a problem that stays consistent at any range of intervals, the game itself doesn't seem to be reading a number of inputs when using the thing in turbo mode, manually dashing I just found to be way more effective. Turned on haptics and found that the thing was pulsing in time with whatever I had the interval setup with so it never "felt" like the thing was missing the inputs even if the game itself was reading a fraction of them.

Thinking it was a Dustforce related problem I booted up KOF13 and tried to see how consistently I could get out Ralf's mash move (it stays out indefinitely so long as you keep mashing a punch button) and found myself with the same situation, he would just stop at some times, as if the game wasn't reading a part of the turbo inputs that the controller was sending. I'm less than a foot away from my receiver so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be here aside from the turbo function as a whole just being a bit glitched atm.

I should note that, thinking that it was potentially a problem with the button i had assigned to turbo, that I tried multiple buttons both on the diamond and on the triggers and still found the same 'dropped input' problem.

First time I'm actually seeing anyone talk about Turbo. If no one else will chime in you might want to contact Valve at the address shared in the OP, just to be sure.

Top Bottom