• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Odrion

Banned
Is it a case of Valve purposely restricting the config tool, or a case of not yet implementing support for manually loaded configurations?

For your cases:
  • DRM in a product on Steam means Valve gets a cut.
  • DRM on SteamOS is something Valve can't legally control as far as I know -- it's Linux.
  • Broadcasting and streaming "just work" from the overlay, not much additional development cost as far as I know. See below about configurations.

How would community configurations for non-Steam games work? Someone just mentioned that addding a non-Steam shortcut means a new game ID gets created, and that's presumably unique for any given user. That means to share configurations, Valve would have to create a completely non-Steam-specific hosting service for people to browse and download configurations for competing games. That seems like work and cost to me for little benefit, so at least it's understandable if it's a low priority for Valve.

They could of course allow manual configurations that people save locally. That would be nice to have if it doesn't exist already.
I didn't come into this argument to backseat engineer but point out that the idea that Valve is removing functionality to discourage using other DRM services goes against their history and business sense.

If they find out a solution they'll use it.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't come into this argument to backseat engineer but point out that the idea that Valve is removing functionality to discourage using other DRM services goes against their history and business sense.

If they find out a solution they'll use it.
I suppose I just don't see a case of removing functionality. If Valve explicitly tried to find and disable non-Steam support I would agree. Is that the case and I'm just unaware of it?

If instead, the case is "Valve has not removed functionality, but instead has not yet created a community site specifically to allow functionality", that's different.

Odrion

Banned
I suppose I just don't see a case of removing functionality. If Valve explicitly tried to find and disable non-Steam support I would agree. Is that the case and I'm just unaware of it?

If instead, the case is "Valve has not removed functionality, but instead has not yet created a community site specifically to allow functionality", that's different.

Yes, Valve is not removing functionality from non-Steam software to discourage using other services.

Foxyone

GG :) hope you were super chilled about kicking his ass. Like "so am I winning? I'm not sure I get this game?" :p

After the first game he told me to put the controller down and "play properly with a m + kb". After the next game and handily outscoring him, he said, "good, see how much better you play without that sh***y controller?" I simply smiled and raised my controller into the Skype video frame for him to see, then he rage quit with that news.

Also, I managed to get some "decent" CS:GO gameplay from a game that didn't involve bots or lots of alt tabbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcGFiSZEpT0

I'm still not as comfortable using the controller compared to a M + kb due to aim stability (not surprising since I've been using the controller for 2 weeks compared to 2+ years of m + kb), but I'm having fun with it. There's a satisfaction in using a controller to outscore a good chunk of people using m + kb that are better for fps games. Definitely not at a point where I can top every game though, and I think I owe a bit of the win in this game to that one guy running around with a knife. It's good for casual play, but I think the controller could be quite competitive with more experience (and someone more coordinated than me).

terrible

Banned
I played about three hours of Left 4 Dead 2 and two hours of CS:GO (vs bots hah) over the weekend and I'm really adjusting to the controller nicely. I'm very impressed honestly. The speed and precision of it just completely blows away standard controllers. You can actually check corners super quick and react and track things with your crosshair properly. No more strafing to line up shots, you can actually aim!

The one thing I'm going to need to tweak is my gyro sensitivity though. It's a tad bit jumpy currently which is making long distance shooting a little rough. Once I've got all my settings dialed in I think I'll be able to get fairly decent with the thing.

derFeef

I ham having troubles with the vertical movement on the right pad, everything else feels okay. If it's because of argonomic or software reasons, I don't know. Will try to increase the vertical travel, somehow?

riflen

I ham having troubles with the vertical movement on the right pad, everything else feels okay. If it's because of argonomic or software reasons, I don't know. Will try to increase the vertical travel, somehow?

It's not really clear from your post what problem you're having, but it could be that you need to reduce the vertical axis sensitivity when using mouse mode. It's in advanced settings screen for mouse input. I usually halve the default value.
A lot of games do not require very much vertical camera movement and reducing the sensitivity on the vertical axis makes orientating the camera horizontally much easier and more consistent for me.

Nzyme32

There is an option to do this in the options for the trackball / mouse. I find that it's usually good for me on default (where the notch is) but many people set it lower for their bindings, which I find too restrictive. I also have to have the horizontal axis angled at almost 40 degrees upward on the right side, downward on the left (labeled as rotation). Not sure if this effects the vertical axis as well, but whatever it does works for me

Gruso

Is it a case of Valve purposely restricting the config tool, or a case of not yet implementing support for manually loaded configurations?
Well, we don't even have the ability to customise BP controls yet - that stuff is greyed out. So it's safe to say things are still under heavy development, and there is more in the pipeline. Given Valve's broader goal here (remember, this is all tied in with SteamOS - an alternate open platform for the PC) I would not be surprised to see them implement a config tool that works across all programs.

I must admit that I am struggling with the steam pad across a bunch of FPS/TPS.

Ranging from MGS to Fallout NV, just finding it hard to get the fine aiming down.

I definitely need to get used to it/figure out the right settings for me.

derFeef

It's not really clear from your post what problem you're having, but it could be that you need to reduce the vertical axis sensitivity when using mouse mode. It's in advanced settings screen for mouse input. I usually halve the default value.
A lot of games do not require very much vertical camera movement and reducing the sensitivity on the vertical axis makes orientating the camera horizontally much easier and more consistent for me.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I think I need exactly what you described - less vertical movement, I will try that, thanks!

There is an option to do this in the options for the trackball / mouse. I find that it's usually good for me on default (where the notch is) but many people set it lower for their bindings, which I find too restrictive. I also have to have the horizontal axis angled at almost 40 degrees upward on the right side, downward on the left (labeled as rotation). Not sure if this effects the vertical axis as well, but whatever it does works for me

The angle could also be a problem, I need to check!

zbarron

has anyone tried any of the final fantasy games. I just ordered the controller today from steam. getting tired of using my 360 controller for 10 years now.

I've played Final Fantasy VII with it. I use a config that sets the joystick to move normally when pushed partially and when pushed all the way it also holds the cancel button so Cloud runs without having to hold down the run button. It's genius. You just need to be careful in menus or use the left trackpad.

I picked mine up on Saturday from Gamestop. I love it so far. I just am struggling to get it working in some games that default to a window. I can't get it working at all in Binding of Isaac.

Unai

I've played Final Fantasy VII with it. I use a config that sets the joystick to move normally when pushed partially and when pushed all the way it also holds the cancel button so Cloud runs without having to hold down the run button. It's genius. You just need to be careful in menus or use the left trackpad.

Yes, that works really well. I also did the same thing with Resident Evil 4.

laxu

How would community configurations for non-Steam games work? Someone just mentioned that addding a non-Steam shortcut means a new game ID gets created, and that's presumably unique for any given user. That means to share configurations, Valve would have to create a completely non-Steam-specific hosting service for people to browse and download configurations for competing games, each of which might have multiple conflicting names if users provided them ("Star Wars Battlefront" versus "Starwars Battlefront" etc.). That seems like work and cost to me for little benefit, so at least it's understandable if it's a low priority for Valve.

It's really not very difficult at all. There are several options to solve it.
  1. Detect game executable and/or metadata related to it and match it to Steam game (they have this info on their database already).
  2. Allow users to select which game their shortcut is on Steam.
  3. Allow users to browse and download configs for any game on Steam.
  4. Leave it to hacks to somehow map the game IDs so the shortcut is detected as the correct game. Someone would probably create a 3rd party utility for this if the mapping was possible in the first place.

First option would of course be the best but in case of mismatches (bogus game executable names or launchers in between etc) a combination of the first two would be fine. Mapping the game to a Steam game wouldn't give you anything more than maybe the info of the game and the controller configs, it wouldn't let you download the game on Steam or anything like that.

A little code for a searchable list of games (probably have this already in some form) and add it to a shortcut, then a bit of "if non steam ID check for mapped ID" in controller configurator. I'd give a task like this maybe a day or two to implement at most. Of course Valve has a lot of other tasks that take priority.

laxu

Ranging from MGS to Fallout NV, just finding it hard to get the fine aiming down.

Try gyro aiming. Trackpad for wider movements, gyro for fine tuning aim.

Kazdane

I've been using mine for a week, and it's definitely easy to adapt from games that use traditional gamepad settings. I've been mostly playing Geometry Wars 3, PES 2015 and now Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and so far so good.

I still need to give it a try with a FPS (Star Wars: Battlefront, probably), a racing game (conveniently I have Grid Autosport installed on my machine) and a k/m game, maybe Terraria. I expect I will struggle much more in those three, but so far I really like the controller.

madjoki

It's really not very difficult at all. There are several options to solve it.
  1. Detect game executable and/or metadata related to it and match it to Steam game (they have this info on their database already).
  2. Allow users to select which game their shortcut is on Steam.
  3. Allow users to browse and download configs for any game on Steam.
  4. Leave it to hacks to somehow map the game IDs so the shortcut is detected as the correct game. Someone would probably create a 3rd party utility for this if the mapping was possible in the first place.

First option would of course be the best but in case of mismatches (bogus game executable names or launchers in between etc) a combination of the first two would be fine. Mapping the game to a Steam game wouldn't give you anything more than maybe the info of the game and the controller configs, it wouldn't let you download the game on Steam or anything like that.

A little code for a searchable list of games (probably have this already in some form) and add it to a shortcut, then a bit of "if non steam ID check for mapped ID" in controller configurator. I'd give a task like this maybe a day or two to implement at most. Of course Valve has a lot of other tasks that take priority.

This could be crowdsourced too, show list of games commonly applied to certain game, however it's matched.

Also I'd like if they allow of choosing games not available at all on Steam. (in which case it would use other methods to display only correct games).

And support for configuring controller for apps that aren't addable to Steam too (eg. Windows Store games).

derFeef

It would be great to have Community Bindings available for Non-Steam games that are available on Steam as well. Seems like an "easy" thing to fix.

Odrion

Banned
If Audiosurf can keep metadata of every single song, regardless if it's offical MP3s or vinyl rips or some bad kazaa shit, I can't imagine it'd be too hard to implement non-Steam controller profiles.

I think it's a thing that has a probable chance of happening. If Valve wants to continually improve the controller and remove any software flaw possible, I don't think it's insane to say that they're looking at solutions.

zbarron

I have a question about the haptic feedback. On the left side it's clicky and on the right it is more thud-y if that makes sense. Both the feel and the noise it makes are different. Is it the same on both sides with everyone else's controllers? If so I'm going to try to exchange this one.

Nabs

I have a question about the haptic feedback. On the left side it's clicky and on the right it is more thud-y if that makes sense. Both the feel and the noise it makes are different. Is it the same on both sides with everyone else's controllers? If so I'm going to try to exchange this one.

Haptic feedback changes depending on how you have the pads set. At default, the pads are supposed to be different. The left is a scroll wheel and the right is a mouse. You can test this by starting a game and editing the config to feature identical pads.

Spacejaws

Soooo I was having issues with Uplay games working with the steam overlay and controller. Eventually whittled it down to being the Xbox DVR recording process screwing up the steam overlay on Uplay games on the off chance anybody else ends up with the same problem.

Now I can get back to setting up all the steam controller configs for my games seeing as I can now get past the A's...

Haptic feedback changes depending on how you have the pads set. At default, the pads are supposed to be different. The left is a scroll wheel and the right is a mouse. You can test this by starting a game and editing the config to feature identical pads.

Mine do actually vibrate differently with the same settings on both pads. It seems like the motors simply aren't identically matched for whatever reason. Doesn't impact anything really, just a weird little quirk.

zbarron

I'm not talking about in game or in Desktop Mode. When I run the test in Big Picture mode where you press every button and then it says "Pulsing Left Haptics: Press A" Followed by the right side they feel different. When there is haptics on both triggers they feel and sound different. It's not that. Should I take this to mean that it is the same for you so you never thought of this?

Edit:
Mine do actually vibrate differently with the same settings on both pads. It seems like the motors simply aren't identically matched for whatever reason. Doesn't impact anything really, just a weird little quirk.

So not just me? It's odd that they'd do that. I don't know if they wanted to make the sides more distinct or what.

I would have though that Valve would have fixed that bleep-bleep-bloop audio when you launch BPM. It's like the person who edited it cut off the last fraction of a second by accident or something.

Jams775

Try gyro aiming. Trackpad for wider movements, gyro for fine tuning aim.

You can also try setting up dampening. I set it up for left trigger in fallout 4 so it's like switching from 2400 dpi to 400 dpi on a mouse but only when you're soft pulling the trigger. A full pull removes the dampening in case a target get too far away from the crosshairs. I found myself getting comfortable with that setup.

danielcw

• DRM on SteamOS is something Valve can't legally control as far as I know -- it's Linux.
  • Broadcasting and streaming "just work" from the overlay, not much additional development cost as far as I know. See below about configurations.

Valve could say they won't distribute games on Steam OS, that implement their own DRM.
I am not saying they will, because it would hurt their revenue, but thye legally could.

Broadcasting may "just work", but Steam, as far as I understand it, is routing the network trraffic. If you stream to 10 people, Valve provides the hardware and bandwidth to multiply your stream.

Oreoleo

You can check the box at the bottom of that alert when you open BPM with the Steam controller is connected, to stop the alrt message from popping up.

You probably did that.

The popup that says "A controller is now connected" ? There's no check box on that for me. I had a few sounds related to friends turned off, but even with everything turned back on I still get no sound effect when I load BPM. Very odd. Not gonna worry about it though, I'd probably end up turning it off anyway. But I wanted to hear it :( Oh well.

Hm? I get no such sound when I launch BPM :(

You can check the box at the bottom of that alert when you open BPM with the Steam controller is connected, to stop the alrt message from popping up.

You probably did that.

I'm talking about the BPM intro sound that plays when you see the Steam logo.

Edit: This. Yeah, "Start up movie/vid" probably would have been clearer! :) Although it plays it to the end on that clip. :-/

Nzyme32

I'm talking about the BPM intro sound that plays when you see the Steam logo.

Edit: This. Yeah, "Start up movie/vid" probably would have been clearer! :) Although it plays it to the end on that clip. :-/

It only cuts off if you touch / mess with one of the pads during that sequence. No idea why it only does it for that. I actually do it immediately to skip the sequence entirely

Blizzard

Banned
I've been using mine for a week, and it's definitely easy to adapt from games that use traditional gamepad settings. I've been mostly playing Geometry Wars 3, PES 2015 and now Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and so far so good.

I still need to give it a try with a FPS (Star Wars: Battlefront, probably), a racing game (conveniently I have Grid Autosport installed on my machine) and a k/m game, maybe Terraria. I expect I will struggle much more in those three, but so far I really like the controller.
Make sure you turn on the gyro with the atom-looking icon below the controller for the racing game. It's a really nice feature.

I would have though that Valve would have fixed that bleep-bleep-bloop audio when you launch BPM. It's like the person who edited it cut off the last fraction of a second by accident or something.
Thankfully the big picture launch sound can be disabled somewhere in Steam settings now. Used to I feel like it was mandatory but I'm not sure. I wish you could disable the animation entirely without having to mash buttons. That would get rid of the chance of accidentally selecting something.

Is there any ETA on when custom bindings for BPM will come out?
They don't really give an ETA on anything. We just get patches suddenly that have new features without any warning. Sometimes devs will post letting us know a feature is going to be in the next patch, but we've never gotten any long term warning.

Veal

So playing STALKER in bed with headphones on is a totally different experience from normal, let alone that I was playing it with a controller! I feel like the experience was heightened significantly due to the way I was able to play.

On the other hand, Commander Kings 2 put me right out! Need to be sitting up for that one!

Yokai

I think I'm having a mechanical issue with my steam controller.

The analog stick is registering a right movement when returning to neutral position and is stuck repeating the right movement. It basically makes my controller useless for now.

Has anyone else had this issue? Thinking about sending it back to get it replaced but I want to make sure it's not a driver or software issue. Happens even in BPM.

sirap

Mine just came in the mail.

HOLY SHIT.

Can we talk about how amazing this thing is for older games? The first thing I did was boot KOTOR up and tinker around. I've found the perfect configuration, and the controller's ability to emulate analog movement is wonderful. No more tank movements, this thing almost feels like a modern game.

Fuck, I'm having a blast.

Oreoleo

I think I'm having a mechanical issue with my steam controller.

The analog stick is registering a right movement when returning to neutral position and is stuck repeating the right movement. It basically makes my controller useless for now.
I have, actually. Not sure if it would ever last more than a half second or so, and it was very infrequent (not that that makes it any more acceptable). I emailed the team and the next day there was a patch that suggested they fixed it, and I never noticed it happen again after that. Are you in the Steam beta? I mentioned in my email to them that it was happening in the "radial with overlap" (or whichever one gives you diagonals while using WASD) setting, so it's possible they only fixed it for that setting and the bug persists in the other analog stick configs? Not sure.

Yokai

I have, actually. Not sure if it would ever last more than a half second or so, and it was very infrequent (not that that makes it any more acceptable). I emailed the team and the next day there was a patch that suggested they fixed it, and I never noticed it happen again after that. Are you in the Steam beta? I mentioned in my email to them that it was happening in the "radial with overlap" (or whichever one gives you diagonals while using WASD) setting, so it's possible they only fixed it for that setting and the bug persists in the other analog stick configs? Not sure.

I'm in the steam beta and I am also using radial with overlap. Controller firmware should be up to date.

It wouldn't be an issue if it was a slight input misreading, but it will actually hold in the right position even when my hands are off the controller.

Should I contact valve through support or is there a faster way to contact the team? Too late to contact them today so I'll just have to wait a while before I shoot my message.

Oreoleo

Should I contact valve through support or is there a faster way to contact the team? Too late to contact them today so I'll just have to wait a while before I shoot my message.

There's an email in the OP to contact the controller devs directly. Wouldn't expect much to get resolved this week with Thanksgiving right around the corner, unfortunately.

HOLY SHIT.

Can we talk about how amazing this thing is for older games? The first thing I did was boot KOTOR up and tinker around. I've found the perfect configuration, and the controller's ability to emulate analog movement is wonderful. No more tank movements, this thing almost feels like a modern game.

Is your KOTOR profile public? If so, what's the name? I started it for the first time just with the default profile which wasn't exactly great.

Also, do you have some sort of mod to make the ui bigger?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

HOLY SHIT.

Yeah, definitely. I tried out the official configuration for System Shock 2 and it works stunningly well.

The touch menu system is next-level.

Foxyone

I knew this controller had potential, but not the potential for relationship drama. My bf literally cannot take that this controller is functionally a m + kb and can replace it to some degree. He refuses to play any game with me (whether performance is important or not) if I'm using it because it's not a real m + kb, it's a controller, and he does not accept it. What a ridiculous way of thinking. I didn't know elitism went that far with input methods.

derFeef

I knew this controller had potential, but not the potential for relationship drama. My bf literally cannot take that this controller is functionally a m + kb and can replace it to some degree. He refuses to play any game with me (whether performance is important or not) if I'm using it because it's not a real m + kb, it's a controller, and he does not accept it. What a ridiculous way of thinking. I didn't know elitism went that far with input methods.

Heh. I told some friends about the controller recently. They replied with the usual "controllers for PC's suck, keep that console nonsense away from me" gibberish. Then I told them how it works (and also that controllers are totally OK for PC gaming....) - still stubborn. Their loss.

Top Bottom