• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nzyme32

Can you really play (competitive) something like CSGO with it? I mean, some of those KB+M players will have that cursor on your head in a split second.

Thanks to the gyros, yes. Mouse and keyboard will always have the edge due to the ease of articulation and decades of use you already have with it, but the Steam Controller can definitely compete with a bit of practice and a setup that suits you.

Nipo

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in but what is the best first controller for someone wanting to play civilization and gta from the couch?

Steam controller? Xbox elite? Something else? Is there a concensus on this or is it personal preference.

I'm at the stage where I don't really see why I wouldn't use this controller for every game going forward. I feel like the customisation and gyro elevate it beyond anything else out there.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in but what is the best first controller for someone wanting to play civilization and gta from the couch?

Steam controller? Xbox elite? Something else? Is there a concensus on this or is it personal preference.

Civ? Easily the steam controller. Easily.

GTA? Anything will work. Steam controller is still super nice though.

Mate just get a steam controller.

Durante

The largest number of Steam controllers I've seen IRL so far:
dsc_01711rok9.jpg
img_20151222_173018g1r7t.jpg

Valve need to improve interoperability with other controllers. If only for the 2 or 3 games which support more than 4 players.

kami_sama

Only thing I'm not liking about the controller is the d-pad. Too much force to push, and too easy to misclick when you use it only with touch.
Only affects on 2D games, though.

is there a way online to check if a game has some community profiles already set up? I want to pick up Republic Commandos to play with my steam controller but i want to review some profiles to see how much work I would need to put into it.

is there a way online to check if a game has some community profiles already set up? I want to pick up Republic Commandos to play with my steam controller but i want to review some profiles to see how much work I would need to put into it.

Not sure if there is a way to check without owning the game but I just looked and there are quite a few community profiles up.

Jams775

I can't believe people are not liking the controller. After spending time with it, it has become my go to for PC games. Maybe it's because I've been using different types of controllers all my life thanks to weird PC joysticks and control pads of yore. I think the people that struggle with it the most are the ones that have never played on anything other than a 360 or PS controller. It bums me out a bit every time I hear somebody talk down about the Steam controller because I feel like they're not giving it a fair shake. I was worried myself about it when I ordered it, but man, it was almost everything I wanted. I liked the original design more without the dumb ass abxy layout it has now but I get that they changed it for those people that have a hard time trying different control types.

I'm glad there are videos of people explaining how to get used to it like that video above. Hopefully people will stop blowing it off just because it isn't what they're used to after a while but I kind of doubt that'll happen as people like to be stuck with what they're used to.

RedSwirl

Oh shit I just bought this without thinking through how I'm gonna use it for non-Steam games for the time being. I have Witcher 3 on GOG and GTAV on Rockstar's service. There's still a way to configure it for games outside Steam right?

deadfolk

Oh shit I just bought this without thinking through how I'm gonna use it for non-Steam games for the time being. I have Witcher 3 on GOG and GTAV on Rockstar's service. There's still a way to configure it for games outside Steam right?

Just add them as a non-Steam game and launch from within Steam.

Veal

Only thing I'm not liking about the controller is the d-pad. Too much force to push, and too easy to misclick when you use it only with touch.
Only affects on 2D games, though.
Have you tried turning down the dead zone for the dpad? Doing that and turning on "requires click" makes it feel surprisingly close to something like the Sega genesis dpad. I was able to play through the entirety of Megaman x Street Fighter with it. I uploaded my config and it'll probably be the only one upload at the moment if you would like to try it out. It'll probably only work with v2 USA, which should be easy to find with a Google search.

Veal

Right now, you have to either use one of the basic templates or create your own based on a template. Support is coming for sharing of profiles for non-Steam games.
That support is definitely already here. I've seen some gta profiles in bpm and I'm using the rockstar version of the game.

deadfolk

That support is definitely already here. I've seen some gta profiles in bpm and I'm using the rockstar version of the game.

Really? Wow. I just tried it with a couple of games I was sure would have something, but no luck - AC:S and Kerbal. I guess it's YMMV at the moment.

Found a game I can really take advantage of my steam controller (I preference my Xbox one for most stuff). Sunless sea. Set it up so I can do almost everything using just the controller.

Works really well. Purchase redeemed. To be fair my main reason for it was for games with no controller support and games like sunless see that are mouse and keyboard based by not twitch based. I still can't get to grips with shooters and third person games on this thing.

Is nobody else having issues turning the controller off? It's driving me insane having to launch BPM just to turn the damn thing off. I never had this issue until a couple of updates ago.

Nete

So... all those problems with missing profiles from a "recent" beta update, have been solved? I haven't touched the controller for a couple weeks, and I'm trying to figure if I should opt out the beta just in case or I'm safe.

I had no idea that they were going to support games that don't even exist on Steam. I assumed it was only games that Steam has, but you have a different version of. Interesting.

The picture they used when they announced this feature says it all :p

4RDRYyq.png

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a steam controller on the way home from work today as a present to myself and I must say that so far I'm very impressed. Tried Far Cry 2 and Torchlight 2 and after tweaking a ready done profile to suit my own tastes they play very nicely indeed. Really looking forward to doing a lot more messing around with it (and actually playing some games!)

Is nobody else having issues turning the controller off? It's driving me insane having to launch BPM just to turn the damn thing off. I never had this issue until a couple of updates ago.
Yeah, I've been having this issue for a week or so. Also getting double inputs a lot more often in BPM.

Unai

Yeah, I've been having this issue for a week or so. Also getting double inputs a lot more often in BPM.

I was having a lot of issues, the controller not turning off included. I just opted out of the beta for now until Valve iron out these bugs.

Not running Steam as an admin.

viveks86

Are either of you running Steam as an administrator? I am, and I'm wondering if that might be a contributing factor to the issue I'm having.

I think I am running as admin. Will check. Highly doubt it is related though. Could be the beta. I rolled back because even my local configs were disappearing with the latest beta version

vid

I decided to go ahead and buy a Steam Controller today, mostly based on the positive impressions in this thread.

First Impressions:
I have no idea how to use a Steam Controller.

I've loaded up a few different games of various genres to try and get a handle on this thing, but it feels like even the most basic of tasks are impossible. Not because the controller is bad, but simply because I can't understand it. Like trying to speak a language that you have only the loosest grasp of.

I'm not giving up, the positive stories make it seem worth my time, but right now I'm trying to squash the feeling that I wasted my money.

Nabs

Take some time, and watch a few videos. ConstableBento and Woodsie have great videos up. Bento has been going through some games and showing how he plays them: Check the vids here. Woodsie recently put up a video where he breaks down some of the best games for the controller. Check this stuff here.

I recommend starting with games that are easy to play and have good mouse support. You don't have to jump into the deep end just yet.

Nipo

For GTA it's a matter of preference. Personally, I'm getting so used to the finer trackball style aiming on the Steam Controller that I prefer it.

For Civ you have literally no other option, barring coming up with some unweildy Joy2Key profile. It's a game completely designed around the mouse. There's a reason it was one of the first games Valve demoed with this controller.

Awesome I will order one to try. My concern was I would spend longer configuring it than playing games.

vid

You don't have to jump into the deep end just yet.

I think this is the critical thing. I need to find the right games and take my time getting used to the feeling of it. I keep trying to use it like I would any other controller, and that quickly leads to frustration.

Gruso

Yeah I started out soft (or, switched to that strategy after a hard landing). Pacman CE and Limbo to get a feel for basic gameplay and experimentation. Then onto some driving games to play with gyro. Eventually I needed to get the hang of FPS stuff - so I jumped into Dear Esther where I could calmly get the feel of camera control.

I know some people jumped into BF and felt good within 15 minutes. But that wasn't my journey!

Miff

So.. I've been experiencing an issue for a while. I dropped in a support ticket tonight, but thought I'd post here as well on the offchance that anyone had suggestions.

On occasion when I release my thumb from the thumbstick/pads/face-buttons, my system doesn't recognize that input has ended. So my in-game avatar will carry on moving left / right, continually jump, or whatever function I have assigned to that control. The OSD shows the control still activated, and it only releases when I make further input. I've persevered with it for a while as thought it might just be some driver teething issues, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Other than that I still love the controller, but might have to switch back to my 360 pad for a bit.

kennah

Yeah I started out soft (or, switched to that strategy after a hard landing). Pacman CE and Limbo to get a feel for basic gameplay and experimentation. Then onto some driving games to play with gyro. Eventually I needed to get the hang of FPS stuff - so I jumped into Dear Esther where I could calmly get the feel of camera control.

I know some people jumped into BF and felt good within 15 minutes. But that wasn't my journey!
Thanks for posting this. I just picked one up today and tried borderlands pre sequel as my first game and got pretty overwhelmed. Then I used it with basic mouse control in Banished and got a bit more of a feel for it. Will attempt to ease in.

terrible

Banned
I jumped straight into L4D2, CSGO, and Saints Row IV when I got mine. I don't think you have to play easy stuff right away, just don't expect to be good with it right away if you go the same route I did. I do feel like it helped me to adapt quicker though since those are fairly demanding games when it comes to using gyro and the touch pad simultaneously.

RedSwirl

First impressions:

Jesus Christ, I can just browse the internet with this thing. Everything other than typing just works. It's like Valve finally figured out the last (and most important piece) of making the experience of using a PC feel like a game console. Not even just gaming, but using the PC in general. This is the last thing my HTPC setup was missing. Fuck gaming, the controller is worth it just for this.

Anyway, I'm starting to get a handle on Turok. I was playing it with an Xbox One pad before this and I guess the aiming is more sensitive. Everything else works just as well. I guess I should try it for a more point n' clicky type of game for a minute. From what I can tell right now, the only games for which I won't use the Steam Controller are 2D console-style games like Undertale or Axiom Verge or whatever, and that's simply because I'd still prefer a great D-pad for those.

Top Bottom