• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Hey what happens if the USB dongle doesn't work properly? my Steam Controller connects to my PC/Steam Link if I've plugged it in the wired port but the USB dongle does nothing. Can you order another? I feel so helpless :(

SZips

Hey what happens if the USB dongle doesn't work properly? my Steam Controller connects to my PC/Steam Link if I've plugged it in the wired port but the USB dongle does nothing. Can you order another? I feel so helpless :(

I'm almost certain it's just a USB Bluetooth adapter. You can probably just get one for cheap somewhere.

Can also always try to just get it exchanged from where you ordered it. Just make sure it's actually the adapter that you think is bad and not the controller itself. You should be able to wirelessly connect to the Link without plugging in the supplied adapter.

Yaari

Are these sold anywhere in Europe on regular sites, I don't like how I have to pay shipping twice if I buy one with a Link. That's dumb.

I'm almost certain it's just a USB Bluetooth adapter. You can probably just get one for cheap somewhere.

Can also always try to just get it exchanged from where you ordered it. Just make sure it's actually the adapter that you think is bad and not the controller itself. You should be able to wirelessly connect to the Link without plugging in the supplied adapter.

Really? The reason I think it's the dongle is that it works via the cord on the link AND the PC. So the dongle is the thing that doesn't work on either. Are you sure the Link connects automatically?

Finally got it working! Except now I've realised I've turned on some setting where it shows the FPS in the bottom left corner at all times :( How Do I turn this off? I've made sure to go into settings and it's off there :( I'm really stumped at all this and usually I'm OK :((

I wish I could help further. That's all I had to do to get it to work for me personally. I didn't do anything else special. It works for me with the Steam update beta and without (I just checked) so we can probably rule that out too.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll figure it out eventually...

Are there community bindings for Mass Effect? I added the non steam game and it shows up in my library. But when I go to change the controller bindings, nothing pops up in community.
There is one, it didn't show up for me until I went to the beta. That said, I've yet to get Mass Effect to play nice with the controller.

Edit: sorry for DP

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There is one, it didn't show up for me until I went to the beta. That said, I've yet to get Mass Effect to play nice with the controller.

Edit: sorry for DP
Weak. I'm hoping someone else cracks this nut. EA is awful for not updating PC to work with a controller.

Two issues still for me - one is the persistent stutter in most FPS games with mouse look. I've tried every sensitivity setting imaginable and it always stutters.

Second - the mouse needs to work in administrator Windows. So sick of a popup window or task manager not being accessible with the controller.

Finally got it working! Except now I've realised I've turned on some setting where it shows the FPS in the bottom left corner at all times :( How Do I turn this off? I've made sure to go into settings and it's off there :( I'm really stumped at all this and usually I'm OK :((

Try to go to the Steam Settings, then In-Game, and select "Off" from the "In-game FPS counter" drop-down menu.

Two issues still for me - one is the persistent stutter in most FPS games with mouse look. I've tried every sensitivity setting imaginable and it always stutters.

Second - the mouse needs to work in administrator Windows. So sick of a popup window or task manager not being accessible with the controller.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it feels as though the trackpad resolution is way too low for precise aiming causing a juddering, jumpy cursor when trying to be slow and precise, correct?

I had the same issue trying to play Portal 2 earlier.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it feels as though the trackpad resolution is way too low for precise aiming causing a juddering, jumpy cursor when trying to be slow and precise, correct?

I actually notice it most when doing longer pan motions. Playing battlefront is a nightmare. It's running at a butter smooth 60fps, but you wouldn't know it when using the steam controller. Both a real mouse and an Xbox controller don't stutter like this does.

riflen

Make sure you're using smoothing in the mouse mode settings if the input is too juddery for you. Don't set it too high though, as it increases latency.
Mostly, I just use the trackpad for camera orientation. Fine aiming is performed using the gyro.

The problem is that you have a small surface. If you want it smooth and accurate, the sensitivity is probably going to be too low to orientate your player swiftly. Cranking the sensitivity up will ruin fine aiming and make things jittery. There are some options:

- Try trackball mode. This mitigates the small size of the trackpad somewhat, meaning you can use a lower sensitivity than with pure mouse mode. Make sure to play with the rotation setting to get a 180 degree swipe that works best with how you hold the pad and swipe your thumb.

- Use gyro for fine aiming and medium trackpad sensitivity in mouse mode for quick orientation of the character. I usually enable low acceleration on the trackpad and none on the gyro. Set the gyro to a low sensitivity.

- Try out mouse dampening. This reduces the trackpad sensitivity when preferred (perhaps when aiming down sights). Bind to your aim key, for example.

- Definitely remember to reduce the vertical axis sensitivity in mouse mode. I usually set it to half the horizontal. This really makes a large difference and helps you more easily get a rough bead on your target using the pad.

How do the touch pads recognize input? I feel like my right pad isn't registering all of my input and I'm wondering if it has to do with which parts of my thumb are making contact through the movement.

riflen

How do the touch pads recognize input? I feel like my right pad isn't registering all of my input and I'm wondering if it has to do with which parts of my thumb are making contact through the movement.

Careful that you're not using joystick emulation mode with Adaptive Centering enabled. It can seem like your touch isn't registered if you're not aware that the centre changes whenever you lift your thumb from the pad.

Careful that you're not using joystick emulation mode with Adaptive Centering enabled. It can seem like your touch isn't registered if you're not aware that the centre changes whenever you lift your thumb from the pad.

Seems to happen the most with gamepad+mouselook for whatever reason. I read posts where people recommended using the tip of your thumb, but I have hard/dry old man thumbs and so that method is even less effective. Lol

FaintDeftone

So my wife gifted me a Steam controller for Christmas. I was excited for this thing but I also read some negative reviews too that made me a little leery of it. I set it up last night and tested a couple of games.

First game I tested was Fable Anniversary, which I bought on the Steam sale. After a bit of light tweaking I was able to get the controller fully functional and easy to use in this game. For action/adventure games such as Fable, the controller works very well.

I wanted to test it on an FPS game without jumping into multiplayer so I loaded up Fallout 4. I had to do a bit more tweaking with this one but after I did the game plays really good on a slower-paced shooter like this. I sometimes confuse the handle buttons with the triggers though and screwed myself up. The aiming with the right touch pad works decently but not for pinpoint aiming, so I set up the gyroscope to kick in once I hold down the left trigger to aim and this fixed that.

So far I'm very impressed! The controller takes some work to get functioning the way you want but it certainly feels like a game-changer for video gaming. I doubt I would use this in an online shooter or anything but it works wonders for single player games.

Nzyme32

Playing through Dark Souls, and not found too many good profiles since the beta has cause the disappearance of the community bindings and only a handful have reuploaded them.

I found the second one down to work well, but made some changes to make it what I think is as perfect as it can get. Basically all the buttons are as in the normal 360 layout with the addition of the right grip being the B button for running / rolling / back stepping / side stepping.

Switching the in game camera speed to max (10) and setting up the right pad to be mouse-like joystick works perfectly for me. I really didn't like using the edge spin radius as the transition isn't nearly good enough. I think I'm using all the defaults for the max input, vertical sensitivity and rotation. I also have the left grip set to activate the gyro for arrow aiming and looking around if using the face buttons, which works quite well. It could probably be improved by doing the 5 button dpad setup on the right pad so that the dpad could be accessible on the outer edge of right pad so you can always move than use the left pad. At that point it should be pretty great!

My only gripe is that because of the max sensitivity of DS, I can't turn as rapidly as I like or flick as rapidly or at high enough speed as I would like. Far better than an analogue stick for accuracy, but also with the limitations of the max turning circle; it's definitely acceptable though all things considered, since the mouse and keyboard controls simply are not good enough for that game. Not had chance to try DS2 but I can't wait to see what works there since it is far better than DS1 port

Steam Overlay is enabled, but doesn't seem to be working for any non-steam games. Every time I start a non-steam game in BPM it drops out to go to the game, then the controller still controls BPM in the background.

I've tried Mass Effect and Dragon Age on Origin, Assault on Dark Athena on GOG, and Shadow Complex on the Epic Launcher.

My two biggest reasons for buying the Steam Controller were for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

So, is the Steam Controller still technically in Beta since it launched without most of the jank worked out? If I turn Steam Overlay on and add the game to my Steam library it should work. If it doesn't, there should be some sort of indication that it doesn't and some helpful hints or, I don't know, options in the settings to try out. If use in non-Steam games is being used as a selling point, getting it to work shouldn't be like exploratory surgery. That's not good for a consumer product, and it's not good to the consumer.

i had trouble getting it to work with MGSV which i had launching with D3D overrider for triple buffering. I had to set Steam.exe in D3D overrider for the overlay to work in games that I had using D3D overrider. I hope others who have D3D see this and that this can help.

Saiyan-Rox

So I got the controller back in November and have been trying to get used to it but I just don't i'll ever be able to.

I just can't get used to the trackpads for movement in games. It's not the controllers fault since I also don't use a K/M on the PC but I guess it's time to sell it on.

riflen

i had trouble getting it to work with MGSV which i had launching with D3D overrider for triple buffering. I had to set Steam.exe in D3D overrider for the overlay to work in games that I had using D3D overrider. I hope others who have D3D see this and that this can help.

Does D3DOverrider even operate with games that have 64-bit executables?

KoolKing

Does anyone have any good config bindings set for X-Wing or Tie Fighter? Being that I have the GOG versions, I can't really check to see if any community profiles have been uploaded on Steam yet.

On a side note, I really wish they'd release a standalone Steam Controller app so I didn't have to ever use the god-awful Big Picture Mode.

Nete

Does anyone have any good config bindings set for X-Wing or Tie Fighter? Being that I have the GOG versions, I can't really check to see if any community profiles have been uploaded on Steam yet.

On a side note, I really wish they'd release a standalone Steam Controller app so I didn't have to ever use the god-awful Big Picture Mode.

No idea if good, but:

X-Wing
TIE Fighter

At the very least should be useful as a kickstart to tweak your own version.

Nabs

Just put together a Wolfenstein TNO binding (made it public on the beta, will do the same on stable later). It's a KB/M binding with a weapon touch menu on the left pad. I tested a few things, like various types of scroll wheel, but this was the easiest thing to go with. The right pad is the mouse, press the middle to interact with things, but press left or right of the pad to modify that weapon, up and down to dual wield. Pretty cool overall.

Widge

Got one of these!

Only tested it so far with Fallout 4 and it is quite the adjustment. This is on standard Beths controls.

For someone who has played inverted Y since Amiga days, I have an uncontrollable urge to scroll up to look up!

I can navigate perfectly fine but get really panicked when combat starts.

I'm still thinking that a combination of this plus an XB1 pad for well optimised pad games may be the way to go.

Is there anywhere on the net where control discussions for specific titles exist? This thread is great for a casual read but not if you're researching something specific and ongoing.

Nzyme32

I haven't heard many people talk about or experiment with the Cross Gate dpad layout yet.

8kpamY4.jpg

Basically it works as above, where the layout of the directions matches more of what the indentations look like, with a square deadzone at the centre. Using the settings to make this dead zone match the controllers indentation, I've been finding this to work really well for platformer's and I seem to be having some good success in fighting games too - probably because I have a tendency to stay quite central to the deadzone when playing dpad style games. I'll be testing it more over the next month or so to see what works well and what doesn't whenever I have time. For now though, it definitely seems like something worth investing time in and checking out if you are taking on the left pad.

Unai

In games where dpad is used to change weapons and items I usually use radial without overlap, because it seems it is easier to not press the wrong directions. I haven't tried Cross Gate though. In fact I had no idea how it actually worked until now.

What happens if you press the are between DUP and DLT? It will send no key press at all to the game?

Nzyme32

In games where dpad is used to change weapons and items I usually use radial without overlap, because it seems it is easier to not press the wrong directions. I haven't tried Cross Gate though. In fact I had no idea how it actually worked until now.

What happens if you press the are between DUP and DLT? It will send no key press at all to the game?

Bah, I new I'd edit the picture wrong. Those do overlap, so the output is both being active and getting an up-left diagonal.

Edit - corrected the image.

I've been finding this to work really well for platformer's and I seem to be having some good success in fighting games too.

I haven't tried any fighting games with the Steam Controller.

Is there anyone out there who finds the Steam Controller to be significantly worse than a standard controller?

Jebral

So I've got a really irritating problem that I cannot find any information about anywhere. I even posted on the steam beta bug report forum, but I haven't gotten any replies or heard from anyone official.

My problem is that the mouse region is offset from the onscreen circle. I cannot use any community bindings that make use of the mouse region feature, nor can I rely on the on screen display to try to set up my own. Here's a screenshot of what's happening in every game I have tried:

TiDb.jpg

The red X is a press in the center of the pad. In all games, no matter whether I am in the beta or stable versions of steam... This is the case. Both pads do this, and outside of the mouse region everything works perfectly. Mouse region sounds nice and I really want to use it. This is beyond aggravating, even moreso because it seems like an entirely isolated incident.

Thanks to anybody that has any input that might help.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Been messing with this since yesterday.. and.. I'm still not sure.. sure it'll probably be more user friendly the more I use it.. but it feels cheaply made and the ergos are kinda shit.. my hands aren't that big.. and hitting the ABXY is a pain to use on the fly... but then again I'll probably just use a 360 pad for those types of games... but as far as replacing a M/KB I'm adjusting.. but it just seems there's so many compromises to be made to use it.. but I can use it on my bed on my 50" in there.. so there's that.

Boxuv

Neo Member
So I've got a really irritating problem that I cannot find any information about anywhere. I even posted on the steam beta bug report forum, but I haven't gotten any replies or heard from anyone official.

My problem is that the mouse region is offset from the onscreen circle. I cannot use any community bindings that make use of the mouse region feature, nor can I rely on the on screen display to try to set up my own. Here's a screenshot of what's happening in every game I have tried:

The red X is a press in the center of the pad. In all games, no matter whether I am in the beta or stable versions of steam... This is the case. Both pads do this, and outside of the mouse region everything works perfectly. Mouse region sounds nice and I really want to use it. This is beyond aggravating, even moreso because it seems like an entirely isolated incident.

Thanks to anybody that has any input that might help.

From the picture it doesn't seem like you're using an unusual screen size either.
Perhaps some other overlay besides steam/BPM could be interfering? Odd for sure, hope you manage to fix it!

Jebral

From the picture it doesn't seem like you're using an unusual screen size either.
Perhaps some other overlay besides steam/BPM could be interfering? Odd for sure, hope you manage to fix it!

1080 all around, I just shrunk the picture a bit to be polite. I honestly can't fathom what would be causing this and why I seem like the only one.

Lork

Basically it works as above, where the layout of the directions matches more of what the indentations look like, with a square deadzone at the centre. Using the settings to make this dead zone match the controllers indentation...
Can you provide a number or a screenshot of the slider? I've been unable to find a left pad movement solution that isn't practically unusable myself, so I'd like to see an example of an "optimized" setup.

I haven't heard many people talk about or experiment with the Cross Gate dpad layout yet.

8kpamY4.jpg

Basically it works as above, where the layout of the directions matches more of what the indentations look like, with a square deadzone at the centre. Using the settings to make this dead zone match the controllers indentation, I've been finding this to work really well for platformer's and I seem to be having some good success in fighting games too - probably because I have a tendency to stay quite central to the deadzone when playing dpad style games. I'll be testing it more over the next month or so to see what works well and what doesn't whenever I have time. For now though, it definitely seems like something worth investing time in and checking out if you are taking on the left pad.

If we could just remap the damn in between zones to just being separate buttons, this would be the ultimate MMO controller.
I mean it already is but.

Unai

If we could just remap the damn in between zones to just being separate buttons, this would be the ultimate MMO controller.
I mean it already is but.

I think there is a workaround. You could set a Touch Menu with 9 positions and set the opacity to minimum to make it invisible.

I think there is a workaround. You could set a Touch Menu with 9 positions and set the opacity to minimum to make it invisible.

Yes, and then it has to wait on BPM's slow framerate to respond, meaning lots of missed inputs.
Unless that's been fixed... They should detach the UI from the actual action, and simply use the UI as a visual feedback.

EDIT: To be clear, as I last used it, you had to hold down the pad for a moment to wait for the UI to come up and register it... which isn't ideal for putting skills on. If it could register instantly without relying on the BPM UI to "translate" it into inputs that would be MUCH better.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
My controller has shipped, woohoo. It got upgraded to 1 day shipping, but Amazon currently says delivery on Wednesday.

KingKong

This thing is fascinating. I dont know if I'd recommend it to anyone over a ps4/xbone controller but its a lot of fun to mess with

Its definitely best for games like Kerbal or older pc titles and maybe racing/flying sims (dont know much about those), otherwise for shooters/rts its mkb and regular controllers for third person

Unai

Yes, and then it has to wait on BPM's slow framerate to respond, meaning lots of missed inputs.
Unless that's been fixed... They should detach the UI from the actual action, and simply use the UI as a visual feedback.

EDIT: To be clear, as I last used it, you had to hold down the pad for a moment to wait for the UI to come up and register it... which isn't ideal for putting skills on. If it could register instantly without relying on the BPM UI to "translate" it into inputs that would be MUCH better.

I think they fixed it, assuming I understood what you said. I just tested now with Baldur's Gate and I can quickly click a direction in the trackpad that is configured as a touch menu and it will register.

This thing is fascinating. I dont know if I'd recommend it to anyone over a ps4/xbone controller but its a lot of fun to mess with

Its definitely best for games like Kerbal or older pc titles and maybe racing/flying sims (dont know much about those), otherwise for shooters/rts its mkb and regular controllers for third person

It works pretty well in third person games like Dark Souls in my experience.

KingKong

It works pretty well in third person games like Dark Souls in my experience.

oh i think it works alright though I haven't tried Souls games yet, but messing with Assasins Creed it feels a little worse than a joystick no matter what config, which makes sense because what benefit would simulating a mouse or joystick or trackpad or anything and having 20 settings to tweak give over a real joystick

Top Bottom