• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

CaLe

I just want to say that playing Dirt Rally with the Steam Controller using Gyro is absolutely fantastic. So much fun / stressful, wow !

Breaking is done with the triggers and gear change with the paddles. It works extremely well.

Thinking of trying System Shock 2 now !

First impressions:

Jesus Christ, I can just browse the internet with this thing. Everything other than typing just works.
If you open up Big Picture Mode, and then minimize it, you can bring up the overlay keyboard on the desktop by pressing in the thumb stick. I use the controller just to do my normal desktop stuff whenever my mouse with shitty battery life needs to recharge.

KingKong

is there a way to see users configs without having a controller?

just wondering if there were good ones made for older games like the Tomb Raider series, Legacy of Kains, etc. anyone try those out?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
well once it's up and running again i'll definitely check it out. thanks!

is there a way to see users configs without having a controller?

just wondering if there were good ones made for older games like the Tomb Raider series, Legacy of Kains, etc. anyone try those out?

Found another website: http://www.steamcontrollerdb.com/

Though you should consider trying to make your own, too. It helps you learn the controller.

Orgun

Oh sweet, my pad and link are going to be delivered today! I wasn't expecting them to come until after xmas.

Best xmas ever.

Yaari

I wasn't sure what was ment with Gyro when I asked about shooters with this thing (I'm new to the subject), but wow that is really cool. I can see why this would be the best controller for shooters. Really interesting.

I might get one eventually. Too bad it took my interest a week after I got that Windows Xbox adapter haha.

Orgun

Oh happy days, I got my Steam Controller and link. They both work wonderfully.

The steam controller is brill, it's going to take some getting used to but I can already see it's potential.

Omikaru

Picked up my controller the other day. Haven't really messed around with it, but when I get off work in an hour I'm gonna make a profile for the original Deus Ex, since no one else has.

But what I have played with the controller, I really love it. It takes some getting used to, but this thing is only going to get better and better as the community supports it.

Nete

Picked up my controller the other day. Haven't really messed around with it, but when I get off work in an hour I'm gonna make a profile for the original Deus Ex, since no one else has.

:p

I've made the holy grail of Deus Ex bindings thanks to the touch menus. I published them under the name "Augmented Controller Bindings"

Really love the binding set, especially when looking back at the mess I made before touch menus showed up. Practically everything is bound to the Steam Controller, and it both feels great and doesn't feel cluttered at all. Touch menus have definitely got to be one of my favourite features thus far.

qs2z2No.png

Everything is as above and works wonderfully. The big plus though, is the two touch menus.

• The left pad touch menu is always available. It covers all the item slots usually governed by the number keys 1 to 0, as well as quick load and quick save.
  • If you hold the right grip, you get access to a touch menu on the right pad. This covers all the augmentations (F3 to F12) as well as inventory (F1) and Goals/Notes (F2). The only downside is that F12 (the light augmentation) is also the default Steam screenshot button, so if you want to prevent that you have to change the steam settings.

Here is an example of the two touch menus in action.

LJnvvY9.png

Anyone else have issues with left pad scrolling? Just using the store, or chrome. I swipe down/up/left/right on the pad, and sometimes it goes up, sometimes down, sometimes just jiggles up and down quick where I am. I cant get it to do anything useful, haha.

Not sure what the stick is supposed to do on the store either. When I start to move it, it acts like its going to scroll the page, but then it stops trying almost immediately, haha.

Salamande

Anyone else have issues with left pad scrolling? Just using the store, or chrome. I swipe down/up/left/right on the pad, and sometimes it goes up, sometimes down, sometimes just jiggles up and down quick where I am. I cant get it to do anything useful, haha.

Not sure what the stick is supposed to do on the store either. When I start to move it, it acts like its going to scroll the page, but then it stops trying almost immediately, haha.

I had the same issue before I realized what it was doing. By default, the scroll pad is a rotation - circle your thumb clockwise or counter-clockwise around the edge. You can change this behavior in the options to a linear horizontal or vertical scroll (which I've done).

I had the same issue before I realized what it was doing. By default, the scroll pad is a rotation - circle your thumb clockwise or counter-clockwise around the edge. You can change this behavior in the options to a linear horizontal or vertical scroll (which I've done).

Ahhh!! Haha. That's crazy. I will test that out when I get home, thanks.

Is the joystick the same thing then?

Yup, anything on scroll will be a rotational movement. It's pretty fun actually.

Cool, I'm sure it works great, I just didn't understand it. Haha. I feel like the pictures in the controls didn't explain it well enough either. But I'm sure it does now that I know what it means. Haha.

Is there a way to change controls outside of big picture? I didn't see anything really obvious, but I didn't look that hard either.

Salamande

Cool, I'm sure it works great, I just didn't understand it. Haha. I feel like the pictures in the controls didn't explain it well enough either. But I'm sure it does now that I know what it means. Haha.

Is there a way to change controls outside of big picture? I didn't see anything really obvious, but I didn't look that hard either.

Yeah, I thought I was losing my mind with the scrolling thing. I don't think it's explained anywhere at all.

Pretty sure that you have to go into BP to set up controls. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have the option of doing that from the desktop.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Take some time, and watch a few videos. ConstableBento and Woodsie have great videos up. Bento has been going through some games and showing how he plays them: Check the vids here. Woodsie recently put up a video where he breaks down some of the best games for the controller. Check this stuff here.

I recommend starting with games that are easy to play and have good mouse support. You don't have to jump into the deep end just yet.

Yeah, take your time, think a lot. It's a Cat Stevens thing.

I jumped in and tried playing an online Black Ops 3 match with it......that was a lesson learned to take it slow :p

Omikaru

Well! In that case I have just had a metric fuckton of time saved. I didn't see this config on the configuration browser, however. Maybe I am still getting used to how all this works. I will take another look again at any rate. Many thanks!

I am very excited to replay Deus Ex, only this time on my TV (and not the crappy PS2 version, either).

Nabs

Well! In that case I have just had a metric fuckton of time saved. I didn't see this config on the configuration browser, however. Maybe I am still getting used to how all this works. I will take another look again at any rate. Many thanks!

I am very excited to replay Deus Ex, only this time on my TV (and not the crappy PS2 version, either).

You may want to opt out of the Steam Beta. Configs still haven't been transferred over yet, so plenty of games are missing.

I just got a steam link and controller, just a couple of questions.

1. I have it running wired due to what I hear about lag on wifi. It's too far away so I did the whole wired through those electrical board plug ins you can get (http://www.cnet.com/au/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/). I fired up MGSV which runs fairly smoothly on my PC but definitely I feel I'm just on the cusp of it not running as well, and it was fairly chunky on the Link. Is this normal or should I try out another config?

2. With the aforementioned MGS the controller worked perfectly, although I really couldn't get used to the trackball style. For a FPS/TPS what style works best? Should I up the sensitivity?

3. I then fired up The Talos Principle and it wouldn't recognise the controller at all, it even said "hit any button" and I was able to load up the onscreen keyboard, then hit a button and I could get through but no dice after that. Just Cause 3 same deal, and Portal 2 for some reason didn't recognise the joystick but everything else was fine. I'm just not sure what I could have been doing wrong?

4. It popped up a couple of times to update the firmware but when I plugged it into my PC I couldn't figure out how. I'm just a little lost on this and there seems to be very little documentation on it :(

EDIT- Also can I plug in a Steam controller and an Xbox controller into the link and play a multiplayer game if supported or do you have to do a workaround to do this as they'd be expecting a keyboard? Any good same screen or split screen games for this?

Oreoleo

1. I have it running wired due to what I hear about lag on wifi. It's too far away so I did the whole wired through those electrical board plug ins you can get (http://www.cnet.com/au/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/). I fired up MGSV which runs fairly smoothly on my PC but definitely I feel I'm just on the cusp of it not running as well, and it was fairly chunky on the Link. Is this normal or should I try out another config?

Power link adapters are very much a YMMV kind of thing. Depending on the wiring in your residence you might get substantially better performance from different outlets in the same room. Getting both ends of the adapter on the same circuit will be your best bet. In some cases wifi might be an improvement.

Hmmm.. having weird issues with the right pad today.

Usually if I'm in BPM and bring up the browser to do anything online, the right pad will work as the mouse and move the cursor around. For whatever reason when I turned on my controller today, nothing is happening to the on screen cursor- no haptic feedback or anything. In games its working fine and if you go to something like Google to type, the cursor can be moved with the right pad but just moving it around on a normal web page does nothing?

Any suggestions?

RedSwirl

To be honest I find BPM less appealing with the Steam controller than with an Xbox controller. I can use normal Steam just fine with the Steam controller, and it might be a bit faster than BPM.

Got my steam controller at the gamestop by my nearest mall today. Walked up and only saw one box so I waited in line and was like "hey is that solitary steam controller for show or for sale?" "It's on sale" "I'll take it"

2 days later and today i perfected my desktop configuration for desktop use, media , and web browsing all in one with simple bindings and shortcut key combos that blew my mind with how much functionality i could get out of it. HOLY SHIT. I never liked mouse acceleration but Medium Acceleration, Trackpad On, and High Friction is so perfect for 1080p desktop use. couple it with gyro aiming with the left Grip and a trigger dampening when left or right trigger is pressed (to minimize mouse drift when triggers are depressed (helps immensely during gyro aiming) for left and right mouse). I'm in love.

I handed the new controller to my 2 friends (one just got his first big console and Xbone last week and is familiar with dual analog controls.) it blew his mind, and i hadnt even configured the gyro aiming Mode Shift yet on the mouse, i also hadnt set trigger dempening which is a godsend. When he comes over next time ill hand it to him and itll surely blow his mind again. I then handed it over to his girlfriend (who just recently started playing dual analog games like portal and still struggles with hand-eye coordination) and she was equally blown away and able to use it smoothly. I might be able to convert some of my closest friends to steam with this controller and the fact that they love couch gaming and using their laptops on TVs for web browsing and other media uses. :D

Question: Is the only way to setup and select a binding and config for a game within BPM? If i launch a game that has a set binding through desktop steam, will it catch and launch with the Steam Controller config i setup in BPM?

I fired up the dying light demo after seeing your post and the video, what a great experience. Once the DLC comes out ill definitely get the GOTY edition or premium edition that has everything once its on sale. looks and felt amazing.

The largest number of Steam controllers I've seen IRL so far:

Valve need to improve interoperability with other controllers. If only for the 2 or 3 games which support more than 4 players.

so what games are playable with 4 or MORE people with controllers on Steam? Now im curious.

Ok, I give up... How do you make it play nice with non-steam games?

I've tried starting the other launchers from BPM, I've tried launching various games. I've looked through every menu I could find and have seen nothing that looks like it would help.

I've also tried with and without Beta participation.

Every time I launch a non-steam game, the games starts but the controller reverts to desktop settings and the thumbstick and buttons are still controlling BPM in the background. I learned this by starting another game alongside the one I was trying to play by accident.

What am I doing wrong, guys?

I would think the Steam controller was just a failed experiment and toss it in the trash if it weren't for others getting the damned thing to work properly...

Veal

I've tried starting the other launchers from BPM, I've tried launching various games. I've looked through every menu I could find and have seen nothing that looks like it would help.

Every time I launch a non-steam game, the games starts but the controller reverts to desktop settings and the thumbstick and buttons are still controlling BPM in the background. I learned this by starting another game alongside the one I was trying to play by accident.

I would think the Steam controller was just a failed experiment and toss it in the trash if it weren't for others getting the damned thing to work properly...

Do you have the overlay disabled ingame? If so, reenable it. Thats how the steam controller works.

Nzyme32

I've reuploaded my Deus Ex bindings since whatever the new update has done, my bindings that were published disappeared.

I also updated them so that leaning is part of the gyro controls, and replaced bumpers to previous and next belt items, so this way you can still move around and aim while flicking through those.

yup the overlay has to work, the little blue rectangle will pop up on the bottom right when you launch the game through BPM, thats how you know youre set.

Nete

Just in case, what games? Some requieres you to create a desktop profile for them (i.e. the original Binding of Isaac), while with others with their own launchers you will need to mess a bit with the Steam shortcut (some Blizzard games) or the launcher itself (Origin, I'm looking at you).

Branduil

Is there a way to give a section of the controller multiple mode shifts? I had thought this was possible but I can't figure out how to do it. I want to set one mode shift for a soft pull of the trigger and another for the full pull.

Oreoleo

Is there a way to give a section of the controller multiple mode shifts? I had thought this was possible but I can't figure out how to do it. I want to set one mode shift for a soft pull of the trigger and another for the full pull.

I don't think so. One mode shift per physical button for now. But it's been requested and mentioned enough I think it's safe to assume it's something that will be added in the future.

Branduil

I'm trying to get the Steam controller to work with Rogue Squadron 3D- I added a shortcut to Steam- but it keeps going to the default bindings instead of the custom ones I set up in Steam. Not sure how to fix it.

Bl@de

Played two hours of Fallout 4 today. Starting to get better with the controller. It's already better than a normal controller when it comes to reacting and aiming. Have a profile where everything is perfect so far. Customization in Big Picture is great. Tweaking settings on the fly is quick and easy. The only problem is that a DS4 controller is more comfortable for my hands when playing longer sessions.

Do you have the overlay disabled ingame? If so, reenable it. Thats how the steam controller works.

yup the overlay has to work, the little blue rectangle will pop up on the bottom right when you launch the game through BPM, thats how you know youre set.

Just in case, what games? Some requieres you to create a desktop profile for them (i.e. the original Binding of Isaac), while with others with their own launchers you will need to mess a bit with the Steam shortcut (some Blizzard games) or the launcher itself (Origin, I'm looking at you).

Steam Overlay is enabled, but doesn't seem to be working for any non-steam games. Every time I start a non-steam game in BPM it drops out to go to the game, then the controller still controls BPM in the background.

I've tried Mass Effect and Dragon Age on Origin, Assault on Dark Athena on GOG, and Shadow Complex on the Epic Launcher.

My two biggest reasons for buying the Steam Controller were for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

So, is the Steam Controller still technically in Beta since it launched without most of the jank worked out? If I turn Steam Overlay on and add the game to my Steam library it should work. If it doesn't, there should be some sort of indication that it doesn't and some helpful hints or, I don't know, options in the settings to try out. If use in non-Steam games is being used as a selling point, getting it to work shouldn't be like exploratory surgery. That's not good for a consumer product, and it's not good to the consumer.

terrible

Banned
Steam Overlay is enabled, but doesn't seem to be working for any non-steam games. Every time I start a non-steam game in BPM it drops out to go to the game, then the controller still controls BPM in the background.

I've tried Mass Effect and Dragon Age on Origin, Assault on Dark Athena on GOG, and Shadow Complex on the Epic Launcher.

My two biggest reasons for buying the Steam Controller were for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Try running Steam as an admin. If that doesn't work try closing programs like Fraps, RivaTuner, etc. They can cause problems like that.

I couldn't get it to work with Mass Effect until I ran Steam as admin personally.

Try running Steam as an admin. If that doesn't work try closing programs like Fraps, RivaTuner, etc. They can cause problems like that.

I couldn't get it to work with Mass Effect until I ran Steam as admin personally.

Thanks, I'll try it out. Did you launch Origin through BPM or Mass Effect directly?

Edit: Closed the RAPTR App (Riva Tuner) and restarted Steam as admin. Still the same issue. The steam controller won't even work the mouse in Mass Effect because it's still in controlling BPM in the background.

What settings need to be changed in Origin. I've been looking online but everything I've found are just people saying it works, but not how to make it work...

terrible

Banned
I have the MassEffect.exe set up as a non-Steam game and I launch it from Big Picture Mode. I had exactly the same problem you describe until I ran Steam as admin which fixed it. Sucks that it doesn't seem to be working for you.

I'll double check to see if I have Origin in-game disabled or whatnot and report back.

edit: It might not be relevant but I do have the Origin in-game display disabled. That option is in Origin's settings.

I have the MassEffect.exe set up as a non-Steam game and I launch it from Big Picture Mode. I had exactly the same problem you describe until I ran Steam as admin which fixed it. Sucks that it doesn't seem to be working for you.

I'll double check to see if I have Origin in-game disabled or whatnot and report back.

edit: It might not be relevant but I do have the Origin in-game display disabled. That option is in Origin's settings.

Origin In-game is disabled, it has(or at least had, haven't had it on in a while) a habit of crashing games.

terrible

Banned
Origin In-game is disabled, it has(or at least had, haven't had it on in a while) a habit of crashing games.

I wish I could help further. That's all I had to do to get it to work for me personally. I didn't do anything else special. It works for me with the Steam update beta and without (I just checked) so we can probably rule that out too.

wasn't a believer until i played re4 with gyro controls on one of these today.

oh my god. this is unreal.

I sort of forgot how tanky the controls are and I couldn't get it to feel right at all when I tried. It's one of the only games I've tried with the Steam controller that really disappointed me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are there community bindings for Mass Effect? I added the non steam game and it shows up in my library. But when I go to change the controller bindings, nothing pops up in community.

Branduil

I hope they release a "joystick mouse" counterpart to "mouse joystick" at some point for better analog control in games which would normally not have it outside of weird mouse controls.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Grim Fandango's control scheme is pretty great when it starts in X-input mode with mouse support, but every once in a while it starts up in keyboard-mouse mode with xinput support, which screws all the bindings up.

The biggest hindrance to this thing is still how certain games don't do keyboard/mouse and xinput support at the same time very well, and unfortunately I guess there's nothing valve can do about it, other than encourage it to be fixed for new games.

Top Bottom