• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam curator warns players if Sweet Baby is involved in a game

Kacho

Gold Member
I haven't kept up with the guy fully but unless the curator is calling for harassment or violence against sweet baby idiots I don't see the issue? Someone explain the problem to me.
This blew up when Sweet Baby employees learned about the group and asked their friends to mass report him and get his account banned on Steam. That backfired and ended up increasing support for the group. It's up to 150k followers now.

The creator was interviewed on Asmongold's stream and he specifically said his goal was not to target or harass anyone. He also said his moderators were actively banning bad actors in the Steam Group and on Discord. He sounds like a normal dude that just wants good games without the ideological slant.

StueyDuck

while 150+K is no small number it's also just a drop in the bucket.

what was steams active user record recently like 30+mill or something.

as much as sweet baby are awful and awful human beings. The DEI will still win and they'll still get hired to wokefy everything.

you need like full on celebrities before this catches on to actually make a difference, these game companies need to see massive drops in their shareprice like what happened with the dylan mulvaney scandal .

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
AdCZYnH.png

bigdad2007

It's very strange that Sweet Baby employees get upset that people are highlighting projects they worked on. Wouldn't you want people to know?
It’s almost like they won’t want people shining a light on the fact that all of this DEI stuff is being pushed by a very small group of people with massive amounts of money behind them.

They have a word for this…..hmmm. But it is a thing that gets your YouTube video a context warning under it.

The Sweet Baby mindset…

Let’s tailor content to the audience we would like to have rather than the audience we actually have.

The demographic breakdowns per genre should determine most of the choices relating to casting and direction. Take Forspoken or the recent Madame Web as an example. Both properties tailored towards women in genres traditionally consumed by men. It was believed that women would show up in droves but that was not the case. In the case of Madame Web only 46% of the viewership were actually women. The Superhero movie genre generally ranges between 60% - 70% male skewing. The fantasy genre is around the same. Put simply, there isn’t a market for DEI policies, it simply doesn’t exist. Even when existing IPs are coopted by current day they eventually end up failing. We have seen this time and time again. It’s going to get worse before it gets better, that’s for certain.

Lambogenie

Even if SBI isn't consulted, there are very vocal people within companies tasked with checking and sharing an opinion but dressed as fact, or forcing tick boxes. They've actively given them too much say on making judgments over a dev/designer. It's veiled as "globalisation", but actually it's just their personal world-view enforced, while the original submission is fine everywhere except the US and UK and not allowed to be enforced.

This can be from nothingburger shorts on a girl, to needing a fat gender neutral person on-screen.

To the point where commercials showing tight friends looks unbelievable because every casted actor is jarringly all over the social spectrum, even for a diverse market like USA. Where true generalisations (positive ones at that) are a taboo.

Where frequent diversity training, sus speakers, experience sharing (but not straight, religious or statistically and factually normal) are carried out.

simpatico

Please, please, please let him write a forbes blogpost please

J6OavQ5.png

I've seen that name before, but never really had a reason to look him up. Decided to give his YouTube channel a shot and captured this frame. I think we can make some assumptions based on it.

- Pursed lips. There isn't a syllable in the English language that requires you to make your face look like that.
- Baby Yoda toy in living room
- Improper placement of television. Glare from the window. Clearly not a handy man or he would have been able to work out a better floor plan. Even if it required mounting the TV.
- Also, for a professional nerd, the TV is pretty diminutive. Did he not have the confidence to pick up a larger set? Maybe it wouldn't have fit on his little eggshell dresser?
- Dresser aesthetics. That thing looks like something you'd find in a soulless office building. Where's the warmth? The human touch. I get big time liminal spaces vibes looking at it. Unsettling choice in an office building, but deeply problematic inside a residence.
- What is the fixture next to the television? Some type of decorative wash rack? Who displays towels in a TV room?
- Peeking down the hallway it's clear the entire place has the "doctor's office waiting room" aesthetic. Who would choose this for themself? It's like someone who was really into web 3.0 minimalism tried to translate that design language to interior decorating. It's like if 2014 era The Verge was a living space.
- Clearly has a shaved unibrow. You can see the 12 o'clock shadow. Anthony Davis broke down social barriers for him and he doesn't even respect the work.

GAF, there's a good chance we're looking at a serial killer.

I suspect the problem, as Sweet Baby sees it, is that the "wrong" people created the list.
I think more people should be making lists and sharing them with like minded people. Can't have enough I say.

Barakov

J6OavQ5.png

I've seen that name before, but never really had a reason to look him up. Decided to give his YouTube channel a shot and captured this frame. I think we can make some assumptions based on it.

- Pursed lips. There isn't a syllable in the English language that requires you to make your face look like that.
- Improper placement of television. Glare from the window. Clearly not a handy man or he would have been able to work out a better floor plan. Even if it required mounting the TV.
- Also, for a professional nerd, the TV is pretty diminutive. Did he not have the confidence to pick up a larger set? Maybe it wouldn't have fit on his little eggshell dresser?
- Dresser aesthetics. That thing looks like something you'd find in a soulless office building. Where's the warmth? The human touch. I get big time liminal spaces vibes looking at it. Unsettling choice in an office building, but deeply problematic inside a residence.
- What is the fixture next to the television? Some type of decorative wash rack? Who displays towels in a TV room?
- Peeking down the hallway it's clear the entire place has the "doctor's office waiting room" aesthetic. Who would choose this for themself? It's like someone who was really into web 3.0 minimalism tried to translate that design language to interior decorating. It's like if 2014 era The Verge was a living space.
- Clearly has a shaved unibrow. You can see the 12 o'clock shadow. Anthony Davis broke down social barriers for him and he doesn't even respect the work.

I think more people should be making lists and sharing them with like minded people. Can't have enough I say.
Everything in your list is correct. The fact that he went so hard on defending Destiny 2 tells me everything I need to know about him. He's definitely a part of 'that crowd'. They'll keep denying reality even as their house of cards is going up in flames around them.

Last edited:

nush

J6OavQ5.png

All points invalidated becuse he has a corgi. ❤️

Jozzer

Banned
J6OavQ5.png

"Who displays towels in a TV room"? Lmao that got me good.

Well, that was a load of hot waffle.

You can tell Alan Wake 2 is indoctrinated garbage in the first ten minutes, and thats without noticing the character being black.

I'm not sure you know what You're actually arguing against.
The first 10 minutes is a rotund naked ass white man walking in the woods before his heart was ripped out. Truly the most woke of woke.

Last edited:

simpatico

I have no evidence to support it and it is most likely entirely untrue, but I have a firm belief that he molests that poor dog. It cannot even look at him and Baby Yoda looks like it has seen some bad shit go down.
I just asked AI to fact check your post here and it told me it’s unequivocally true. Sad day for dog lovers nationwide.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was off by 8 seconds

RWI7ZHk.jpg

It was 10 Minutes and 8 seconds in🖕
In hindsight wasnt it because she
had history there which was why Max Payne passed the torch to her. Or that Alan Wake wrote before the game started that she lived a life there before and the story is brainwashing everyone in Couldron Lake.
Thats some good storytelling.

FunkMiller

No need to go full fucking pizzagate, the logo is obviously a swirl lollipop. I don't like them either, but let's not all board the bus to retardsville eh?

No, no. This is 2024. People can’t just be fucking assholes anymore.

They have to EVIL SICK MONSTERS ENGAGED IN A CONSPIRACY!

Please try to keep up.

Back in the real world… interesting to see the amount of idiots specifically coming into this thread to defend SBI. That’s a nerve struck.

A shame none of them have the ability to reflect on the reasons for the backlash, instead of just screaming in rage at those responsible for it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Put simply, there isn’t a market for DEI policies, it simply doesn’t exist. Even when existing IPs are coopted by current day they eventually end up failing. We have seen this time and time again. It’s going to get worse before it gets better, that’s for certain.

Of course there fucking is.

The most successful film of last year was Barbie.

But there isn’t a market for traditionally young male skewing products being altered to include more DEI.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

But there isn’t a market for traditionally young male skewing products being altered to include more DEI.
Did Barbie succeed BECAUSE people seeing it wanted DEI? Or because Barbie is a massive brand which was able to leverage a current-day fanbase along with nostalgia from multiple past generations? My wife and her circle of girlfriends saw it in theaters Day 1, and they make fun of woke politics. They just grew up playing with the dolls so they wanted to see the movie.

simpatico

We can't conclude the DEI aspects made it as popular as it was. FFS Ken was the part of the movie everyone talked about. Find one without the beloved branding to make your point with. The ham fisted shoehorning was the biggest complaint about the film from the women I've talked to about it. They just wanted a popcorn Barbie movie. These companies are willing to make less money to push the DEI because there is a large enough contingency of the ownership class who believes strongly enough. Star Wars 8 and 9 was not an accident that they stumbled in to. Profit was intentionally sacrificed there, unless you believe their advisors are that bad at their job.

Last edited:
In the case of Barbie, you have a combo of winning factors, from a prestigious brand to a hot actress MC. Had that movie had a different name, it would have gone unnoticed. There is no market for woke media. The proof is that they either are funded with public funds or ride on legacy IPs.

Likewise, Spiderman 2 selling like hotcakes is not proof either, for it takes so much more than an ugly MJ and a poor storyline to sink the most loved superhero in the era of superhero flicks.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Did Barbie succeed BECAUSE people seeing it wanted DEI? Or because Barbie is a massive brand which was able to leverage a current-day fanbase along with nostalgia from multiple past generations? My wife and her circle of girlfriends saw it in theaters Day 1, and they make fun of woke politics. They just grew up playing with the dolls so they wanted to see the movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Barbie Sequel made less money

FunkMiller

Fucking hell, lads. This isn’t a zero sum game. It’s not ALL or NOTHNG.

It’s perfectly okay to admit there is an audience for more diverse and inclusive types of narrative, while at the same time railing against the twisting of IP usually aimed at you with DEI bullshit.

If you just sit there with your arms crossed, saying fuck all those other guys… you’re doing the same thing they are.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I wouldn't be surprised if the Barbie Sequel made less money

Yep. People want novel experiences, politics either direction, if not pointed or overwrought, don't really matter. For the main consumer demographic, the two key elements to focus on are "new," and "well written," Trite ass sequels or continued bastardization Trojan horses inside of Previously beloved franchises need not apply. The pool is closed.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

It’s perfectly okay to admit there is an audience for more diverse and inclusive types of narrative, while at the same time railing against the twisting of IP usually aimed at you with DEI bullshit.

If you just sit there with your arms crossed, saying fuck all those other guys… you’re doing the same thing they are.
is better to be a spectator and witness this circus and let it happen.

What does "diverse" even mean? For more than a century, in cinema there have been main characters of any race/gender (sexuality came a bit later, in the 90s). Movies and videogames today aren't any more "diverse" than the ones 30 years ago. They are just worse. It's their stories and messages that have changed and there is not an audience for that (audience large enough, I mean) because these stories are unnatural and don't resonate with the common people.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hilarious at these takes that SUICIDE SQUAD failed because of a flag and a ham-fisted line in a lore entry.

. . .and this curator page is still the absolute cringiest thing I've seen on STEAM*.

BARBIE succeeded in the same way the first BLACK PANTHER succeeded, and largely for the same reasons. The idea that it is because people are explicitly looking for "DEI branded" content instead of well made, non-pandering content that just so happens to reflect the wide culture that consumes said product - is larfable. Like, there's a reason THE MARVELS flopped terribly, and why BARBIE didn't.

*: So far this month.

lmimmfn

Not sure what you're getting at, seems you're all for woke ideology in games if I'm not understanding?

How's about we have regular games without woke shit and barbie love Island rainbow crap with thrown in paedophilia for the woke crowd, would that keep you happy?

Jaybe

J6OavQ5.png

Animated GIF

recursive

The obsession with sweet baby is kinda odd though, they aren't developers, they don't build anything. They consult and the studio ultimately decides if they want to use their input or not.
This means the real problem is the people that hired them, they are already ideologically in line with them and are basically just outsourcing the work/research they had on their checkboxes.
I think it is because they are an identifiable "face" of wokeness. Something more direct than fuck woke giant corpo blizzard.

Oh, sure. You basically get the white savior trope in all its splendor. People will shit on it for that reason alone, which will be hilarious when the movie will almost reach a billion while their activist-ridden crappy films will stay in the 200Ks.

Love to see it.
It's not an exaggeration to say that if Dune was published in 2024 instead of 1965 it would have gotten cancelled for being such a classic example of the White Savior trope

Timeless stories are timeless though, that's why The Lord of the Rings can never get cancelled either

Aces High

I’m not making any accusations. I just find it odd that people that share the same radical far left political beliefs that led Google AI programers to call child rapists MAPS (minor attracted persons) also have swirls not just in their main logo, but all over their website.

All a coincidence I’m sure. Just like how Vaush was into Loli bestiality. It’s a total coincidence that all of these leftist video game commentators just happen to be degenerate perverts.
Intelligence services in particular are keen on identifying patterns that could indicate threats or operations by adversaries.

This is called probalistic thinking.

The idea is to prevent oversight by not dismissing potentially connected events as mere coincidences too quickly.

One coincidence is just a coincidence.

The idea here is that in a complex world, it's entirely normal for random events to occur that might seem related but are genuinely coincidental. A single coincidence, therefore, doesn't usually warrant suspicion or in-depth investigation because, statistically, coincidences are bound to happen.

Two relating coincidences are suspicious.

When a second event occurs that seems related to the first, this can raise eyebrows. The occurrence of two related coincidences suggests that there might be a pattern or connection not immediately apparent. In intelligence work, this could prompt further investigation to determine if the events are indeed just coincidental or if there's an underlying link or cause.

Three coincidences are a problem.

The occurrence of three related coincidences strongly suggests that these are not mere coincidences. In intelligence and security contexts, this pattern would likely be seen as indicative of an underlying plan, connection, or system. It implies that the events are too aligned to be mere chance and that there's a significant probability of a deliberate cause or hidden relationship that needs to be uncovered.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's not an exaggeration to say that if Dune was published in 2024 instead of 1965 it would have gotten cancelled for being such a classic example of the White Savior trope

Timeless stories are timeless though, that's why The Lord of the Rings can never get cancelled either
See, that only applies if you think the Fremen are....not white. I think it's pretty obvious they would present as white to us today (as opposed perhaps to what would have been considered 'white' in the sixties. Heck, Chani is a redhead, so add her to the list of redheads being eliminated from cinema. If anything, the casting choices Denis made just exacerbated any white savior tropes in the book.

Codeblew

Because for both those companies, their primary investment vehicles for clients are broad based index funds that track things like the S&P 500. So it just shows up that they're the primary investors of these companies.
Yeah, they may have some woke smaller funds that invest in these companies but most people buy funds that track major indexes. VT, VTI, VXUS, Etc...

See, that only applies if you think the Fremen are....not white. I think it's pretty obvious they would present as white to us today (as opposed perhaps to what would have been considered 'white' in the sixties. Heck, Chani is a redhead, so add her to the list of redheads being eliminated from cinema. If anything, the casting choices Denis made just exacerbated any white savior tropes in the book.
Frank Herbert has openly stated that the spice is an metaphor for oil and the frequent use of Arabic words, notably jihad, is pretty evidential he was thinking of the Arabs when he envisioned the Fremen

Due to the similarities between some of Herbert's terms and ideas and actual words and concepts in the Arabic language, as well as the series' "Islamic undertones" and themes, a Middle-Eastern influence on Herbert's works has been noted repeatedly.[28][29] In his descriptions of the Fremen culture and language, Herbert uses both authentic Arabic words and Arabic-sounding words.[30][31] For example, one of the names for the sandworm, Shai-hulud, is derived from Arabic: شيء خلود, romanized: šayʾ ḫulūd, lit. 'immortal thing' or Arabic: شيخ خلود, romanized: šayḫ ḫulūd, lit. 'old man of eternity'.[32][31] The title of the Fremen housekeeper, the Shadout Mapes, is borrowed from the Arabic: شادوف‎, romanized: šādūf, the Egyptian term for a device used to raise water.[31] In particular, words related to the messianic religion of the Fremen, first implanted by the Bene Gesserit, are taken from Arabic, including Muad'Dib (from Arabic: مؤدب, romanized: muʾaddib, lit. 'educator'), Lisan al-Gaib (from Arabic: لسان الغيب, romanized: lisān al-ġayb, lit. 'voice of the unseen') Usul (from Arabic: أصول, romanized: ʾuṣūl, lit. 'fundamental principles'), Shari-a (from Arabic: شريعة, romanized: šarīʿa, lit. 'sharia; path'), Shaitan (from Arabic: شيطان, romanized: šayṭān, lit. 'Shaitan; devil; fiend'), and jinn (from Arabic: جن, romanized: ǧinn, lit. 'jinn; spirit; demon; mythical being').[28] It is likely Herbert relied on second-hand resources such as phrasebooks and desert adventure stories to find these Arabic words and phrases for the Fremen.[31] They are meaningful and carefully chosen, and help create an "imagined desert culture that resonates with exotic sounds, enigmas, and pseudo-Islamic references" and has a distinctly Bedouin aesthetic.[31]

As a foreigner who adopts the ways of a desert-dwelling people and then leads them in a military capacity, Paul Atreides bears many similarities to the historical T. E. Lawrence.[33] His 1962 biopic Lawrence of Arabia has also been identified as a potential influence.[34] The Sabres of Paradise (1960) has also been identified as a potential influence upon Dune, with its depiction of Imam Shamil and the Islamic culture of the Caucasus inspiring some of the themes, characters, events and terminology of Dune.[7]

The environment of the desert planet Arrakis was primarily inspired by the environments of the Middle East. Similarly Arrakis as a bioregion is presented as a particular kind of political site. Herbert has made it resemble a desertified petrostate area.[35] The Fremen people of Arrakis were influenced by the Bedouin tribes of Arabia, and the Mahdi prophecy originates from Islamic eschatology.[36] Inspiration is also adopted from medieval historian Ibn Khaldun's cyclical history and his dynastic concept in North Africa, hinted at by Herbert's reference to Khaldun's book Kitāb al-ʿibar ("The Book of Lessons"). The fictionalized version of the "Kitab al-ibar" in Dune is a combination of a Fremen religious manual and a desert survival book.[37][38]

Faust

Perpetually Tired

No one is arguing against inclusive and diverse characters and stories. People just want it to feel natural and well written, like it was for decades before this DEI shit took over.

Less tokens, more actual characters.

The obsession with sweet baby is kinda odd though, they aren't developers, they don't build anything. They consult and the studio ultimately decides if they want to use their input or not.
This means the real problem is the people that hired them, they are already ideologically in line with them and are basically just outsourcing the work/research they had on their checkboxes.
again, I'm not so sure about this. I mean, were it true, it be cheaper to just take care of everything themselves. I think the existence of sweet baby indicates the exact opposite: that the folks running the companies aren't really all that crazy about, or on-board with, all this crap. but they know this crap is what's happening now with a portion of the gamer demographics & want to displease that demographic, & therefore they find it necessary to bring in someone who is familiar with this crap. I mean, check these guys out: ted price is 55, corey barlog's 48, & sam lake is 53. I'm thinking the people running these companies are simply attempting to make sure that their games don't somehow 'offend' this particular demographic, but call in an 'expert' because they've themselves quite understandably got no friggin' idea as to what exactly constitutes 'offensive' anymore...

jason10mm

Gold Member
Frank Herbert has openly stated that the spice is an metaphor for oil and the frequent use of Arabic words, notably jihad, is pretty evidential he was thinking of the Arabs when he envisioned the Fremen
]
Maybe, but the actual descriptions refer to red hair, blonde hair, dark pr black hair, tanned skin (versus olive skin for some). I don't think they were meant to represent an ethnicity that different from the Atredies or Harkonnen.

Heck, Duke Leto is described as olive skinned or "dark of skin", so if anything the atredies are darker complected than the fremen.

Haint

again, I'm not so sure about this. I mean, were it true, it be cheaper to just take care of everything themselves. I think the existence of sweet baby indicates the exact opposite: that the folks running the companies aren't really all that crazy about, or on-board with, all this crap. but they know this crap is what's happening now with a portion of the gamer demographics & want to displease that demographic, & therefore they find it necessary to bring in someone who is familiar with this crap. I mean, check these guys out: ted price is 55, corey barlog's 48, & sam lake is 53. I'm thinking the people running these companies are simply attempting to make sure that their games don't somehow 'offend' this particular demographic, but call in an 'expert' because they've themselves quite understandably got no friggin' idea as to what exactly constitutes 'offensive' anymore...

Actually it's cause a large majority of their employees are activists and they're scared of their subordinates. Remember when Jim Ryan sent that benign ass memo about "respecting each other's views on abortion" and every single ones of his studios went ape shit and staged walk outs? That's why these beta cucks let their employees do what they want and just nod along approvingly, they're scared. That may well even be why ole Jimbo was put out to pasture, a lot of people probably actually quit over that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom