• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, here there's still a mentality of 'a TV should last you at least 15 years'. Might be a post-Warsaw Pact thingy, no idea.

From my experience newer TVs dont last 15 years now though. All the FullHD that people bought in 2009/2010, whether its from my parents, friends, relatives all break at one point or another and people just buy a new tv, especially since they are cheap as hell.

I mean if you want to buy a new 32" FullHD TV now, they cost like 250-300€ while they were about 500-600€ in 2007 when I bought them.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Who cares about 1080p?

7Ogk2Vi.png

I recently got myself a 1080p monitor before that I had a 1280x1024 Sony CRT monitor.
I actually use it as a second screen now, works fine.

Grief.exe

Frankly, I think it will peter out, just like OLED screens and 3D screens before.
Remember those? Everyone and their dog was like 'this is the future! buy, buy, buy'...
People are not okay with buying a new TV every two years. Heck, here there's still a mentality of 'a TV should last you at least 15 years'. Might be a post-Warsaw Pact thingy, no idea.

3D yes, but OLED is still coming. It's not a gimmick, just needed significantly more time to get production prices down.

These are literally the same arguments people used about 1080p. Now you guys are defending 1080p with the same arguments. It has come full circle.
Must be a certain personality type.

Knurek

From my experience newer TVs dont last 15 years now though. All the FullHD that people bought in 2009/2010, whether its from my parents, friends, relatives all break at one point or another and people just buy a new tv, especially since they are cheap as hell.

Yes, the new ones are cheap, and don't last much longer than the warranty period.
Nevertheless, my parents were still pissed when their TV broke after 10 years of use.

Oh great, Goddess Returns seems to have always online DRM (game won't start without Steam Cloud enabled). What is it with those Japanese devs and their always online hard-on?

Dr Dogg

Right let's make this clear as this crops every time resolution locks are in games and always there's a bunch of plonkers that go on about 1920x1080 is fine for them and they don't care about 4k but what about all the other common resolution less than 1920x1080? Becuase by hardcoding your resolutions your chosing not to be flexible and support these folks when chances are if you let your game query the OS and if need be filter out the incomparable aspect ratios and then use what remains as your available rendering resolutions. You know like most PC titles have been doing for almost a couple of decades.

See this...
23289588969_79774a5a98_o.png

That's every resolution my system will accept. A game that handles resolutions correctly can access and render to close if not every single one of those. From my native 2560x1440, right up to DSRed 5120x2880, right down to 800x600. If I make a custom resolution of 320x240 then it's even possible the game will render at that too. This is why it's important to do this as you offer so much flexibility to 99.99% of users so they have an option for their native resolution or one as close to it as possible. Stop fucking banging on about 4k and what's good for you.

Corpekata

Banned
Frankly, I think it will peter out, just like OLED screens and 3D screens before.
Remember those? Everyone and their dog was like 'this is the future! buy, buy, buy'...
People are not okay with buying a new TV every two years. Heck, here there's still a mentality of 'a TV should last you at least 15 years'. Might be a post-Warsaw Pact thingy, no idea.

Things like 3d Screens are sidegrades and required things like wearing specialized glasses. 4k is linear progression. It has no real reason to die out.

I was in the market for a new TV recently. We needed another for the house to have my family watch football on it during Thanksgiving. I decided to go with a 1080 set as the advantages to spending more on a 4K TV didn't justify the extra cost for me. Broadcast TV is either 720 or 1080. Sports broadcasts in particular are only 720. The only sources of 4K content at the moment are either playing video games or streaming content from online only providers (i.e.- Netflix). I do think that 4K will become the standard as TV manufacturers will eventually stop producing 1080 sets and move on to 4K only. But I cannot see that happening for quite some time.

On a more Steam related note- I've spent several hours playing Elder Scrolls Online today due to the free weekend. I am having quite a bit of fun with it. Will probably purchase it before the weekend is up.

Dr Dogg

Sale not as good as hoped perhaps? Not seen a reverse from a new version of Windows lock in.. ever..

The 7/8/8.1 dongle drivers probably install even more nagware to upgrade to Windows 10.

Though so far for media consumption focused PC's, Windows 10 has been great for me.

I dont mind a 1080p lock because my gtx 770 can only do so much but, i get it. I prefer that games not be locked into any resolution, too.

Today's 1080p was yesterday's 640x480. Fine at the time but complete garbage half a decade or so later. So why should anyone be okay with 1080p locks when in like 5 years or so 1080p is really going to seem dated?

Uraizen

Banned
In case anyone's wondering, it uses a terrible emulator. Most probably way old MAME build, that didn't have support for Raiden II, had problems with sound emulation for Raiden Fighters and is best avoided.
And no, dotEmu wasn't as lazy as with the NeoGeo games, you can't use the roms with other emulators without some serious tinkering.
Also, no Steam keys for previous buyers, because dat dotEmu customer care.

Aww man, I got all excited when I saw this under new releases, too.

Turfster

Humble Total War Encore bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Medieval 2
  • Viking Battle for Asgard
  • Shogun
  • Arena 30 days premium
TIER 2: BTA
  • Arena Spartan Hoplite Unit
  • Medieval
  • Empire
  • Shogun 2
  • Napoleon
  • 66% off Attila coupon
TIER 3: 15$
  • Rome II + Wrath of Sparta, Caesar in Gaul, Nomadic Tribes, Pirates and Raiders

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Sarcasm, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sarcasm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mystery Giveaway -- MB-A5D55D46F72D4DB0 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 24 entrants total.

t1449778648z1.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
IndieGala "Mixcellaneous" Bundle

Pay $1.99 or more (ONLY FIRST 24h) and get the following 12 Steam Games!

Pay only $1 and Get these 3 great games!

Spoiler Alert (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Vertical Drop Heroes HD (STEAM)
Cubetractor (STEAM)

Pay only $1.99 or more (ONLY FIRST 24 Hours) and Get The Entire Bundle of 12 Steam Games!

Days Under Custody (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Fearless Fantasy (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Memories Of A Vagabond (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Pixel Puzzles 2: Birds (STEAM)
Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime (STEAM)
Kraven Manor (STEAM)
Broadsword: Age Of Chivalry (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Bloop Reloaded (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Agent Awesome(STEAM) + :tradingcard:

https://www.indiegala.com/mixcellaneous

Status
Not open for further replies.