• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

After 52 hours, I'm done with Zestiria.

Decent B-tier JRPG. Great music, especially Go Shiina tracks. Nice graphics, especially at 60 fps+SGSSAA. Decent characters. Terrible story. Terrible fighting system. Terrible character growth system.

A+, would fantomena again.

Last time dotEmu pulled that, there was a backlash and steam keys were provided eventually... can't remember the game name though. Little Adventure or something like that.

Dotemu specifically mentions Little Big Adventure fiasco in the thread about no Steam keys, stating Groupees misled bundle buyers about Steam keys... I guess they just don't give a fuck about qualitybacklash.

Dr Dogg

Personally 1080p is all I need but in the near future 1440P/4K will be standard and then even folks like me will scratch their heads why they didn't make more fuss for unlocked resolution being standard in the "past".

But hey, let's look at it positively. One of the most unexpected console exclusives ever is now on PC! What nice times we live in really.

You do not lock your game to predefined and hardcoded rendering resolutions you've pulled out a hat. It's sloppy, has incredibly limited flexibility both for higher and lower resolutions that what's offered here, and on evidence of how the game handles them has no issues with different resolutions interfering with presentation or UI. Couple that with the last 2 titles, bar a little odd scaling issue with multiples of 1280x720, they were perfectly fine with any 16:9 resolution you threw at them. This smacks more of inexperience with flexible platforms rather than inability to implement it.

The fact who ever did the work here went to some effort to give some toggles (ambiguous as they are) to various rendering settings it's incredibly frustrating that they haven't implemented one of the ways of querying the OS for available system resolution. I'll happily bet that would be far less effort than what they've done with the other settings. Well I guess it's the third time this year I'm emailing Squenix about this same flipping issue on another of their games.

It obviously won't happen, BUT since afaik the Lightning returns engine is the same as the previous xiii entries, it would be possible to fix the FPS drops in the older ones if they apparently managed to fix it in the last one?

maty

Another "hey Frost, where ya been?" episode is here! Rejoice if that's your sort of thing.
Very solid Zelda clone. Enjoyed it more than I remember enjoying Wind Waker; probably because I had 0 expectations for this game and the highest expectations possible for WW after OoT.

Nice, I'm still waiting for a good discount on nuuvem to buy it.

Just a nitpick, I wish devs made different icons for every achievement instead of using only one. Another example of this is Fly'n. Great art in-game but the achievement icons were so boring. Oh well, as long as the game is fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Dsyndrome

I don't know what it was, but that new XCOM 2 trailer skyrocketed the game up my most anticipated list for next year pretty handily. Haven't even beaten the first yet.

Parsnip

Same here. Time to
not play it

I'm installing it and planning to test it a bit, just to see if the xbone (wireless) controller issue persists.

Still haven't played 13 on PC. Played a bunch of it on PS3 but kind of hit a wall after leaving Gran Pulse, I still kind of have no idea where it went wrong. Suddenly all minor battles started feeling like minibosses and I kept dying all the time. Felt like I was missing some key feature of the battle system, or I was underleveled or something.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
XCOM 2
Haven't even beaten the first yet.

giphy.gif

Grief.exe

So then...

Hardcoded resolution and some of the most ambiguous settings I've seen in a PC game. Fucking speechless.

Good thing Square took their time with this one.

Personally 1080p is all I need but in the near future 1440P/4K will be standard and then even folks like me will scratch their heads why they didn't make more fuss for unlocked resolution being standard in the "past".

But hey, let's look at it positively. One of the most unexpected console exclusives ever is now on PC! What nice times we live in really.

I was about to point that out to people who say '1080p is fine.'

i'm really surprised with the negativity surrounding fallout 4, i would've bet money on it receiving widespread acclaim the same way skyrim did

it kind of makes sense tho, skyrim felt like a more refined evolution of oblivion, while fallout 4 feels like two steps back for each step forward it took over fo3.

i'm glad, bethesda just streamlined their game into a soulless thing and just simply destroyed an amazing character system, so they deserve all the backlash they get

it's so gross to see ubisoft or ea publishing tetris

it just feels wrong

It's nice to have critical discussion occurring up front, rather than forced to wait for the infatuation period to end.

Lain

After 52 hours, I'm done with Zestiria.

Decent B-tier JRPG. Great music, especially Go Shiina tracks. Nice graphics, especially at 60 fps+SGSSAA. Decent characters. Terrible story. Terrible fighting system. Terrible character growth system.

A+, would fantomena again.

Dotemu specifically mentions Little Big Adventure fiasco in the thread about no Steam keys, stating Groupees misled bundle buyers about Steam keys... I guess they just don't give a fuck about qualitybacklash.

dotEmu sucks.

At least LR is where it deserves to be, to brighten my day.
BmCb.png

Knurek

I was about to point that out to people who say '1080p is fine.'

How can anyone say a day when 4k is a standard will be in 'near future'
I mean, 5-10 years, maybe. Provided we get another computational breakthrough on par with Core2 and/or Maxwell.
Unless you mean 4kp30. If that's so, then eww... Give me 60fps or give me death.

$62 in brazil lol

expected as much. Bethesda went all fuck on latin america a while ago

Wonder why? I mean its like 24$ here in China...

Not everyone cares about 4K.

I dont have a 4k monitor or TV yet, but I can see why people would care. When the first 720p tvs came out, people said no one would need FullHD that soon. Then 2 years later FullHD became normal.
People even, before the PS4 came out, said 1080p60fps would be the future and they couldnt play on lower frames/resolution than that.
Then the reality kicked in and people said "Its okay..."

You do not lock your game to predefined and hardcoded rendering resolutions you've pulled out a hat. It's sloppy, has incredibly limited flexibility both for higher and lower resolutions that what's offered here, and on evidence of how the game handles them has no issues with different resolutions interfering with presentation or UI. Couple that with the last 2 titles, bar a little odd scaling issue with multiples of 1280x720, they were perfectly fine with any 16:9 resolution you threw at them. This smacks more of inexperience with flexible platforms rather than inability to implement it.

The fact who ever did the work here went to some effort to give some toggles (ambiguous as they are) to various rendering settings it's incredibly frustrating that they haven't implemented one of the ways of querying the OS for available system resolution. I'll happily bet that would be far less effort than what they've done with the other settings. Well I guess it's the third time this year I'm emailing Squenix about this same flipping issue on another of their games.
How do you see chances SE will patch something more understandable in settings and resolutions?
OMG i got booster pack on Steam :O
Nice. Usually get a 10-10 cents booster every 1-2 months. Exciting not for the profit but just the sensation, haha.

But why should I care about going higher if I don't have any personal interest or need for it?

Maybe in like 5 years, but right now I don't need it.

Thats the same thing console fans said last generation. "720p is okay".

I guess if you play on 4k normally, you get used about that and lower resolutions look worse. I know you are talking abour your personal experience, but I can see why people want to have the option to play in 4k.
Especially since they are playing on PC and there is no excuse to lock the resolution.

Dr Dogg

Good thing Square took their time with this one.

Funny thing is they probably did. Just as HexaDrive did spend a bit of time with Type-0. But that's great and all but when you fudge up possibly the most pivotal scaling setting on any PC title, resolution, then I can't help think someone just need to spend 30 mins to an hour explaining how Windows already knows the info you want and can implement it pretty easily too. Unless you've done something very daft with you title that is.

How do you see chances SE will patch something more understandable in settings and resolutions?.

I'd guess none to fuck all but I'm a miserable git. Saying that seeing as they're static resolutions you might be able to alter them via hex editing. Pretty much happened with Type-0. And when HexaDrive did add more resolution options other than 1280x720 (which there are close to fuck all TV's let alone monitors ever made than have that as a panel resolution) and 1920x1080 all they did was hard code some new ones in. Urrgghhh one day we'll all be singing from the same page but right now if you own a monitor not supported, say a 1680x1050 monitor, quite a popular resolution too, Lightning Returns is not going to look right for you.

I mean did anyone even do QA for Lightning returns. It seems to run well, but seriously. Still having "Do not turn off your PS3" that everyone who would do QA would see thousands of times... thats shitty.

Eila

Wonder why? I mean its like 24$ here in China...

China got amazing prices in line with India and close to Russian prices.
Mexico/Brazil are in America so some shitty publishers choose to put retail prices on the games. Most of the big publishers are guilty of this, like Activision, Bethesda, Rockstar, Warner, Capcom (just in Mexico, though).

Grief.exe

How can anyone say a day when 4k is a standard will be in 'near future'
I mean, 5-10 years, maybe. Provided we get another computational breakthrough on par with Core2 and/or Maxwell.
Unless you mean 4kp30. If that's so, then eww... Give me 60fps or give me death.

It is fine.

Not everyone cares about 4K.

4K is here in the very near future.

Just like 1080p before it, content producers are starting to push content (sports games for example in early 2016), sales are increasing, and it will quickly become the new standard.

Games will be more difficult to run at those resolutions, but hopefully die shrinks and HBM2 helps us along.

What you are currently playing at now is irrelevant, I'm talking about the future.

But why should I care about going higher if I don't have any personal interest or need for it?

Maybe in like 5 years, but right now I don't need it.

Well I'd your personal situation is as far as your thinking goes then I don't think there is anything else to discuss.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know what it was, but that new XCOM 2 trailer skyrocketed the game up my most anticipated list for next year pretty handily. Haven't even beaten the first yet.

oh, new trailer

nice thing to get home to

It's nice to have critical discussion occurring up front, rather than forced to wait for the infatuation period to end.
yeah, but i find it interesting that it's happened now, feels like beth might've pushed too far

Last time i got one was during Summer Sale so it is huge thing for me XD
lol

Knurek

4K is here in the very near future.

Just like 1080p before it, content producers are starting to push content (sports games for example in early 2016), sales are increasing, and it will quickly become the new standard.

Frankly, I think it will peter out, just like OLED screens and 3D screens before.
Remember those? Everyone and their dog was like 'this is the future! buy, buy, buy'...
People are not okay with buying a new TV every two years. Heck, here there's still a mentality of 'a TV should last you at least 15 years'. Might be a post-Warsaw Pact thingy, no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom