• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Halloween Sale 2013 - Gaben slashes more than just prices...

This GIF is actually really stupid because what's happening in it is exactly what's supposed to happen. It's a level where you face off against blind xenomorphs. If you move, they hear you. If you stand still, they don't. It looks cheesy and the animation sucks, of course, but it's not bad AI. That's exactly what is intended.

The game still sucks, of course, but this GIF is not evidence of it sucking.

Is this better? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

milena87

Bought The Swapper and Vampire Bloodlines (from Amazon) for now.
I'm also interested in Brothers and possibly Castlevania...

Lijik

Home worth 50p?

I would advise against it, but its short and cheap it might be worth a chance. I really disliked it though. Its promises of changing to reflect your perspective and deciding how the story ends are so clumsily and bluntly handled which was a massive disappointment. I came away feeling the bulletpoint about "The truths in this game are all subjective" was just a copout to get away with not committing to anything in the narrative and have weak writing. Which would be fine if the atmosphere and game mechanics were top notch, but I found both to be a bore. It has some different aims but I found Lone Survivor which had come out around the same time to be infinitely more satisfying in every regard.

I bought the Penumbra collection immediately, any thoughts on Great Giana Sisters though?
Really rad platformer and swapping between the two personalities is really satisfying. The levels can go on for long stretches of time though (like 10-20 minutes if youre looking for everything) with no autosave to come back to if you quit out in the levels, so that might be a deterrent if you're not into that. I think the main release has 20 levels with four extra holiday stages, and the Owlverlord DLC has 7 more so its a got a good chunk of content altogether.

Is Homecoming worth the 5 bucks? The series seems like a hot-or-miss kind of thing.
Bought for that price in a christmas sale a few years ago. Absolutely not. I personally find Homecoming to be the lowest point in the entire series. Blandly designed game that trips all over its own scares with no sense of atmosphere after the opening sequence. Wish I could get my time back from playing it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I want a scary game for HWeen
Whats better
Amnesia 2 or Outlast
They are both poor games, when you get right down to it.

I enjoyed Amnesia more as its story telling was more interesting.

Outlast is way way way too scripted and focuses almost entirely on jump scares. It feels fantastic to control but I felt that it couldn't deliver what it promised.

Picked up F.E.A.R. 3, since I haven't played it and I'm doing a replay of the other two mainline games right now anyway. That's all I'm getting this sale.

It's a great game. I'd recommend buying it on GOG instead to get the soundtrack, albeit for $0.50 more.
BONUS CONTENT INCLUDED: The Making of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream and a full 54 track Soundtrack composed by Legendary composer John Ottman (Check your Steamapps/common/IHNMAIMS/ folder after downloading the game)
I suspect it's a card money purchase for a lot of people, anyway

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sound is completely broken and basically impossible to get running functionally, and the game only supports software rendering and as a result has graphical glitches and missing effects galore. Apparently it's loaded with glitches too, but after being unable to resolve the graphical and sound problems I didn't play it long enough to confirm those.

Just completely shit all around.

Wow, that's really bad. o_O Not that I doubt you, but can anyone else confirm this? (I.e. is this confirmed to happen to everyone, or just on some setups, any mods to fix it, etc.)

SJRB

Gold Member
Bought for that price in a christmas sale a few years ago. Absolutely not. I personally find Homecoming to be the lowest point in the entire series. Blandly designed game that trips all over its own scares with no sense of atmosphere after the opening sequence. Wish I could get my time back from playing it.

Thank you sir, will be skipping that one.

Grief.exe

Mhhh Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, i read some nice impressions about this game. GOTY like game, is this true?
Reviews are crazy good too but i dont see many people playing it, why?

Probably because its a short game. Great experience, but probably not too much replay value.

Bought Condemned, FEAR 2 Reborn DLC, and I Have no Mouth, and I Must Scream.
Good shit.
Also bought Riddick and Ghostbusters from Gamestop.
FUCKIN GOOD SHIT!

NotSelf

Mhhh Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, i read some nice impressions about this game. GOTY like game, is this true?

I played the ps3 demo it's good maybe more popular on console dunno either way go for it.

Martian

Bethesda: you better make Oblivion 5 euros

Also I am hoping for a splinter cell (earlier games as I cant run the newest) and rainbow six deal

Then Im outta here before spending too much
Maybe pick up some gifts (modbot you alive?l

Grief.exe

Bethesda: you better make Oblivion 5 euros

Also I am hoping for a splinter cell (earlier games as I cant run the newest) and rainbow six deal

Then Im outta here before spending too much
Maybe pick up some gifts (modbot you alive?l

Get you some Chaos Theory.

Runs great, plays great, no Uplay.

One of the best games I have played all year.

Nander

Yes, it's true. Definitely my GOTY, ahead of The Last of Us.

Not many people playing it? Well, the game hasn't gotten the sales it deserves. It's also a 4-5 hour experience with not much replayability so it not like people will play it continuously.

Just get it. Trust me, it will be the best seven bucks you have spent in a long, long time.

Got Typing of the Dead Overkill for £6 from GMG. GMG20-50Z66-SCTEU
Getting Walking Dead S2 for $22.49 directly from Telltale.
Nether and Dream seem linteresting, but I'm not into playing unfinished games.

So thanks but no thanks gaben.
Unless Master Reboot is something.
Just buy it.

pa22word

Wow, that's really bad. o_O Not that I doubt you, but can anyone else confirm this? (I.e. is this confirmed to happen to everyone, or just on some setups, any mods to fix it, etc.)

Head over to the steam forum for the game. Loaded with people who impulse bought it only to realize they stepped on a landmine =\

SlickVic

want to get some of the New VEgas DLC, what should it get and what should I avoid?

At $1.24 a pop, you might as well buy all the story DLC; Lonesome Road, Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, Dead Money. I think OWB and LR are considered the better of the bunch, so you may want to play the other 2 first.

Prorotype 2 is awesome. It's similar to the first but way more fun, and even crazier.

The PC port is really good. Runs great, well optimized, not buggy at all.

Well, that is not true. At least on my PC Prototype 2 wasn't running so nice and other people complained about the optimization too. Also story was worse than previous one, and game didn't have any really significant improvements. So I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want to check it out.

Bethesda, you greedy bastards, why is all the DLC for NV more expensive than buying the Ultimate edition. Get your shit together B,

Signed,

Lasthope106

Gammacide

Got I have No Mouth And I Must Scream and Deadlight for just over $6. Brilliant. I didn't get IHNMAIMS on GOG because the Steam version is Mac/Linux compatible which is awesome. Will likely get it on GOG too though for the soundtrack and the general support of the GOG guys. :)

SuperHans

It's very good. I think it still has the PS3 cutscenes but other than that I heard it's a great port. There's a demo on Steam if you wanna try it out yourself.

Thanks, I think I'll hold off until xmas for it. Might go lower. Might buy something else for a couple of euros. Zombie Driver any good. Videos of it look good.

Top Bottom