• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Halloween Sale 2013 - Gaben slashes more than just prices...

Also disheartening.

If they're not an unplayable mess I might be game.

I don't think they are unplayable at all. I might be more forgiving but I think they have aged fine. The only one that is a real mess is Soul Reaver 1, the other two look and play good. Soul Reaver 1 is still very much playable with some tinkering.

So glad I didn't buy MacGuffin's Curse last week like I was briefly considering...

Good man! By sheer coincidence I just replayed, I Have No Mouth...

Pro-tip... play by walkthrough. The game is an amazing narrative experience for adults, but there are fail-states the game won't report to you, meaning you can just get "stuck" permanently and never realize it.

Shit, really? Thanks for the heads up. This is one of those games that passed me by as a kid but I always wanted to play.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
that sounds like a pretty terrible idea to begin with though

It's actually tense and one of the better parts of the game. The section ends with a door that needs to be blowtorched open surrounded by Xenomorph eggs. So you do the blowtorch QTE and you're making tons of noise and you hear the xenomorphs start to rouse and it's like "OHHHHHH FUUUUUU THEY'RE GOING TO GET ME".

There's also another part where you can turn on a giant suction fan and watch a bunch of them walk towards it because they hear it and just get gibbed like crazy.

Again, I do not recommend the game. It's bad. It's bad for so many reasons.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Do you guys think Vampire The Masquerade will go on sale during the Winter Sale? Debating to buy it now or wait..

Seanspeed

Banned
Told myself I wasn't going to buy anything, but there's one game I was interested in already, one I very much wanted(needed!) and then one that I've been made aware of from this thread that looks brilliant.

Miasmata
Dead Space 2
The Swapper

All for £10. Hell yea.

I wanna play Swapper for the simple fact that it uses clay models (doesnt it?).

Also since when was Ninja Blade on steam?
Background models at least are real models. Not sure about the character.

Edge's review said
The Swapper is grainy, dark and cast in perpetual soft focus – your eyes can’t seem to find purchase on what should be cold, sterile metal and jagged, rocky ground. Its handcrafted art assets (constructed from clay models and everyday materials) could have easily lent homespun warmth to these clanking, empty corridors, but somehow they’ve done the opposite; shine your torch on the walls of Theseus station and the details can become murkier, the film grain fuzzier and the bloom more obscuring. And beneath all that, the absence of production line uniformity betrays itself: lines aren’t quite straight, details morph into blur. Facepalm Games has fashioned spaces that look more alien the closer you stare, and scored them with a soundtrack that’s equally unsettling, occasionally teasing the possibility of something more melodic, only to devolve into a harsh static drone.

cebri.one

Natural Selection yay o nay?

Anyone?

February-16-2012-02-17-52-cat.jpg

So I can get Condemned on the 360 for the same price as it's on Steam. I favour the controller strongly in games like these, but the higher resolution is pulling me the other way. Does the Steam port feature controller/higher resolution support?

So I can get Condemned on the 360 for the same price as it's on Steam. I favour the controller strongly in games like these, but the higher resolution is pulling me the other way. Does the Steam port feature controller/higher resolution support?

System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor:2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon equivalent (2.4 GHz recommended)
Memory:512 MB RAM
Graphics:DirectX 9.0 compatible video card with at least 128 MB video RAM
DirectX®:9.0
Hard Drive:8 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card
Additional:No controller support.

Well, thats Spelunky, The Sleepy Dogs DLC and Pirates purchased. Luckily I either have or don't really want anything else, since I'm trying to keep my spending down this month anyway. Just need to avoid thinking about Condemned too much, as I quite liked that when I played it years ago...

System Requirements
Minimum:

Processor:2.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon equivalent (2.4 GHz recommended)
Memory:512 MB RAM
Graphics:DirectX 9.0 compatible video card with at least 128 MB video RAM
DirectX®:9.0
Hard Drive:8 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card
Additional:No controller support.

Ah, should have checked that! Sorry.

Alastor

How is the disciples series?

Is the third good?

It's a good game with great atmosphere, but it's the worst from the series. It abandoned the unique combat grid for a system similar to HoM&M.

I've read somewhere that there's supposedly a "remake" of 3 in the works, with lots of bugfixes and more open maps. I'd tell you to wait for that, but it's probably dead. That news was long ago (...a year or so?), and there was nothing since then about this project.

So yeah, try it. It's worth your time.

No Love

Banned
I have pretty much every decent thing on there that I know of. How was prototype 2 and how is the pc port of that and the 1st game? I only played the 1st and it was flawed but fun in a lot of ways, which makes sense since it was handled by the Hulk UD (and batman origins) guy.

Prorotype 2 is awesome. It's similar to the first but way more fun, and even crazier.

The PC port is really good. Runs great, well optimized, not buggy at all.

pa22word

How Condemned holds up?

Played it last year and had a blast. The detective stuff is a little weak and the doors that require specific brands of weapons to break them down is annoying, but overall still a really fun game.

The plot twist broken to you ever so casually in the games outro that explains everything is still just as fucking stupid and pointless as ever, though >_>

Dec

Some people were mentioning Saw. I refreshed and there is a Saw game 50% off. Is that it?

Edit: Oh that was in the Steam thread and they already know. Nevermind!

The Boat

I don't think they are unplayable at all. I might be more forgiving but I think they have aged fine. The only one that is a real mess is Soul Reaver 1, the other two look and play good. Soul Reaver 1 is still very much playable with some tinkering.

I see. Thanks!

Magwik

Banned
My first Steam sale. Yay. Trying to stay under $25 and with games that I can run.
  • DMC4
  • Limbo
  • L4D Bundle
  • Fallout: NV

RE: The L4D bundle, while I'm one of the few who still prefers the original there's little point in buying it. Dead community and all the maps from 1 ended up in 2 anyway.

It's a good game with great atmosphere, but it's the worst from the series. It abandoned the unique combat grid for a system similar to HoM&M.

I've read somewhere that there's supposedly a "remake" of 3 in the works, with lots of bugfixes and more open maps. I'd tell you to wait for that, but it's probably dead. That news was long ago (...a year or so?), and there was nothing since then about this project.

So yeah, try it. It's worth your time.

Thanks, I forgot I bought disciples 2 for 1.99 on a GMG sale, going to play a bit of it, if I like it I am buying the third.

Top Bottom