• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Somehow I doubt that they have the tools to determine that and the only methods that could determine it would be stupidly time consuming.
Plus with the two achievement list sites I've seen both listing save files for multiple achievements, plus the Steam forums as well I think, the amount of people who've used at least one save file is probably huge.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Plus with the two achievement list sites I've seen both listing save files for multiple achievements, plus the Steam forums as well I think, the amount of people who've used at least one save file is probably huge.

Plus save files were used in the Portal ARG and no one that i heard of got banned.

Bah, Sonic Generations gets a ton of slowdown on my computer during certain sections. It gets really bad during high speed sections of Chemical Plant Zone. Drops into 20 FPS sometimes.

Thankfully I get a smooth 60fps for most of the game.

amdnv

I'm looking at the Tomb Raider games right now. I used to be a huge fan back in the 90s. I played through the first five games back then but haven't touched one since. So Tomb Raider Chronicles in 2000 was the last time I came in contact with one of these.

I'm not sure if I'd still like these types of games now, but I kind of feel like giving it a try. Which of the three (no interest in Guardian of Light) is best? Is Anniversary a true remake of the first game?

Sectus

Unless you finish the mode, see the ending ... and kill only 4 ultrayeti !
For some reason the 5th didn't showed up and i didn't got the achivement o_O
This is with me doind the achivement "manualy" ....

I guess this mean that i will try the save =P

Same thing happened to me. I assume the game bugged out somehow, since all enemies just stood still near the end. I tried again, and that time it worked properly. Was a pain in the butt though. I'm biased since I don't like tower defense game, but there's so many things which frustrated me with the game. It's impossible to predict enemies' movements so you need a level with obvious bottlenecks. The tooltip disappears too quickly so I couldn't read through them easily. Sometimes you get crystals near a bunch of rocks so it becomes inaccessible for any refinery.

I'm looking at the Tomb Raider games right now. I used to be a huge fan back in the 90s. I played through the first five games back then but haven't touched one since. So Tomb Raider Chronicles in 2000 was the last time I came in contact with one of these.

I'm not sure if I'd still like these types of games now, but I kind of feel like giving it a try. Which of the three (no interest in Guardian of Light) is best? Is Anniversary a true remake of the first game?

I'd say Tomb Raider: Legend is the weakest of the new ones. It's far more linear than the classic games. Combat is dull. Extremely easy.

Anniversary is a fairly faithful remake of the original. Level design has been overhauled quite a bit (obvious since the original was grid based), but the overall layout is the same. Gameplay wise it plays more like Legend than the classic TR games though. Whether or not that's a bad thing is up to you really. The new TR games are more inspired by gameplay in something like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. There's quite a bit of "find the one thing you can climb up to, and then shimmy along the path of ledges". It's worth noting that Anniversary is a LONG game. Probably longer than Legend and Underworld combined.

Underworld is my personal favourite of the newest games. Level design is more open ended and puzzles are harder (but still easier than the classic TR games). Unfortuantely, the game completely falls apart both story wise and level wise near the end of the game.

Actually, even though you said you aren't interested, I'd recommend Guardian of Light overall. I don't think the new TR games are as good as the classic ones, and although Guardian of Light is completely different from anything TR related, it's a very very enjoyable game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bah, Sonic Generations gets a ton of slowdown on my computer during certain sections. It gets really bad during high speed sections of Chemical Plant Zone. Drops into 20 FPS sometimes.

Chemical Plant Zone was the only one to give me slow down.

Dynoro

I heartily recommend TR:Underworld - has a nice selection of puzzles and beautiful locations

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine

Why no interest in GoL? I played it by myself and still enjoyed it. Beat a level, go back and beat it with one of the challenges in mind, beat it again to get another challenge. It was good even single player.

Plasma

Banned

Yeh it dropped quite a bit for me at Chemical Plant Zone as well, shame really because that is one of the best levels.

amdnv

Somewhat is the word I used to describe it I think. It's faithful, but not slavish.
I heartily recommend TR:Underworld - has a nice selection of puzzles and beautiful locations
kk, thanks for the input. I'll give one of those two a try then.

Why no interest in GoL? I played it by myself and still enjoyed it. Beat a level, go back and beat it with one of the challenges in mind, beat it again to get another challenge. It was good even single player.
I don't dig the bird's eye perspective.

Baconmonk

Anyone think they'll do a deal recap the last day? Kinda bummed I didn't jump on Sonic Generations, didn't get hype on it since I've been burned on sonic games since the dreamcast.

Anyone with a Sonic coupon they want to trade? I've got Civ 5 GOTY and AvP coupons to trade along with HLep1 and Portal (lol) and some coal.

TP17

So bought a couple more things today, and have nearly doubled my steam library this sale (pretty much only used it for Football Manager before).

- The Dungeons of Dredmor DLC
- Atom Zombie Smasher
- Machinarium
- Revenge of the Titans
- Frozen synapse (traded the 5 coal I'd won from achievements for it)

I'd never heard of revenge of the titans before today but looked up some youtube videos (yogscast and totalbiscuit) and it looked like a lot of fun for just £1.74

Askani

Gah...I just did the maths on my purchases so far. It's not good...

Code:
Portal                        2.49
Portal 2                      7.49
Bunch of Heroes               2.49
Chantelise                    2.49
Costume Quest                 3.74
Dungeons of Dredmore          1.87
Swords and Soldiers HD        2.49
Defense Grid: TA DLC: YM      1.24
Limbo                         2.49
E.Y.E.: Dvine Cybermancy      2.49
Jamestown Gunpowder DLC       0.74
Demolition, Inc.              2.49
Bulletstorm                   4.99
Anomaly: Warzone Earth        2.49
Rock of Ages                  2.49
Assassin's Creed II           4.99
Space Pirates and Zombies     2.49
                            ------
                      Total: 50.00

I also bought the IndieRoyal Xmas and IndieGala bundles. I need rehab for Steam. Is there rehab for Steam? There should be rehab for Steam.

Oh! New deals in an hour and a half!!!!

EDIT :::::
Steam says 246 games so far. What's wrong with me? Why am I a glutton?

Derrick01

Banned
I get the feeling maybe they utilized multiple accounts and sent coal to a primary account.

Yeah it has to be something like that. I don't think they can find out if you used a save file, nor should they do anything if they did find out. We still had to buy all these shitty games to get these achievements. I've probably put at least $50 down on them so far, so fuck them if they ban me for a save file.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I think Valve did remove the golden potato from cheaters. So they are able to identify cheaters I guess.

Still have my spud, so I guess saves alone isn't enough. (And a little cheat hacking on WEotW, 'cause seriously fuck that game.)

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah the people being banned for now are people with a bunch of alts getting coal on them. people are still gathering information in the russian forums because the bans just started rolling out, but coal farming with alts seem to be the common link.

Sonic Generations (Amazon) ~ €7.50
Dungeon Defenders (Amazon) ~ €1.50
Renegade Ops (Amazon) ~ €2.50
The Missing Link (Gamersgate) ~ €1.50
Dead Space 2 (Steam) ~ €4.50
Rock of Ages (Steam) €2.50
E.Y.E 4 Pack (Steam) €7.50
Psychonauts (Steam) €2.50
Magika (Gift)

Not bad for €30 euro.

Javaman

Yeah it has to be something like that. I don't think they can find out if you used a save file, nor should they do anything if they did find out. We still had to buy all these shitty games to get these achievements. I've probably put at least $50 down on them so far, so fuck them if they ban me for a save file.
That's the spirit! LOL

Sober

I doubt they would straight up ban the account you actually spend money on unless you really were just heinous with using alt-accounts and 1 penny HIB4 keys to farm coal to your main account.

Deadbeat

Banned
What did they do exactly?

I'm going to assume they made tons of alt accounts, hopefully valve aren't going to just ban multiple trades to an account from the same IP because I've traded with my 2 room mates.
I have two steam accounts, but each have at least 100 dollars in games. It would be complete bullshit if I get dinged for that.

Vamphuntr

Thank god I didn't buy too many of those games only for the achievements. Achievements wise I only picked up Orcs Must Die which is very good, Audiosurf which was cheap and a bit fun I guess and Swords and Soldiers HD that I didn't like much.

I have 23 objectives so far and only got coal and coupons. The rest of the games were already in my library from indie bundles or daily deals. I have to agree with Derrick01, a lot of these were really awful too.

I'm not taking this seriously anymore though. Got burned/tired of not winning anything so I'm simply checking each day to get the gifts for the cheevos I already unlocked.

It's good that they are banning people with alt accounts farming gifts/coals. It does lower your chance to win in the big raffle at the end if they take part in it. I don't think they will ban you for using save file as you did buy the games in the first place.

Matt_C

Hopefully Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition would be on sale today. It stinks I missed out on the Amazon sale last week when it was $16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom