• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought Fable the lost chapters the other day and the save game is not working. It keeps bringing me back to an autosave early into the game even though I saved multiple times on my own and tried them all. Anyone having this same problem?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Valve did have to experiment en masse with the coupons some time or other to see how they change buying behaviour but I think this won't make people buy things (but does giving users free games either which is the other test*; e.g. if Toma were to be given something for free and he likes it and writes a post dsoes that sell more copies) but yje coupons cost nothing then.

*-Also the carrot to make people want to complete the objectives.

Haha, yes please. Developers/Valve listen to this man :p

Danj

Anyone still considering DoD? ;) Just woke up, so for the Gaffers that havent read it before I went to bed :p

Dungeons of Dredmor

Seriously it was only 86 pence (or £1.36 with the DLC). Even if it was utter crap I'd probably still have bought it, it costs less than a double cheeseburger at McD's or a 6" Sub Of The Day at Subway. But as luck would have it it's pretty enjoyable and humorous, plus as an added bonus it has a Gift Pile achievement that's pretty easy. Sold.

can someone please tell me which games are in the Warner Bros. Complete pack?

it's not available in my region, and i want to know if it's worth it.

It's not available any more, Steam took it away!

So far this is the list of games:

Bastion
Bastion’s soundtrack
Batman: Arkham City
Arkham City’s Nightwing and Robin bundles
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, plus Reborn DLC
F.E.A.R. 3
F.E.A.R.s Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate
LEGO Batman
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Lord Of The Rings: War In The North
Watchmen: The End Is Nigh 1 and 2

Well, I think I'll grab Carpe Fulgur's other game aside from Recettear today...maybe Steel Storm: Burning Retribution and the DLC too as I don't think the latter is going to get more heavily discounted.

1-D_FTW

I don't understand Steam at all. I've taken the Steam folder from XP to 7 without issues. I've put the Steam folder on an entirely new hard drive without issues. But I reformat Windows 7 (Steam folder is on a separate hard drive) and EVERY single game now has to have its cache verified before I can launch it. This is the reason none of my games have been auto-updating. They won't auto-update (or even launch) until I verify their cache. And worse, just did Wings of Prey and that needs the entire 5.5GB redownloaded. WTF. I'd say fine if this was the norm, but I've done so much worse with zero issues. A clean re-install of Windows 7 is the one it objects to? Ugh.

The should have let you craft a higher number of coal to be guaranteed a game. 7 for a random gift (which might be a game) and then 12 for a random game. That'd be cool.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Think I'm going to bite on Shogun w/ Amazon. Not sure if Steam will get that low, but also there's a $5 credt, and 10x points on my amazon visa. Good deal?

Still can't believe how restrained I've been so far. Less than $7 given to Gaben. I'm finally realizing not to buy things I'm not going to play before the next huge sale.

Edit: yeah, pick up Shogun. Those Amazon points with that Visa are boss.

TGMIII

I'm seriously tempted to just hold on to every bit of coal I get from here on in. Of the list of stuff you can get from crafting the coal you'll get some sort of coupon most of the time and then most of the games are ass with one or two stand out titles like Witcher 2 and Skyrim. I don't think I'll ever get rid of some of these coupons unless I just give them away.

On the other hand people are out there farming coal like crazy and even if you ignore that you've got such a small shot at winning the grand prize, or any prize at all, so you might as well just buy a lottery ticket. The whole thing just seems sorta pointless but it's gotten me to play a few games I wouldn't have gotten around to by now so I guess that's good.

According to steam they stack unless the opposite is specified.

How many coupons can I use on an item?

You can use one coupon per item.

Can I use coupons on already discounted items?

Coupons are valid on discounted items unless specified otherwise.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4210-YIPC-0275

Right, and I'm sure each deal after the sales will say "Not valid with coupons". I seriously doubt valve are going to let people stock up on coupons that could possibly give them free games in the future.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Where THE FUCK did the Warner Bros. pack go?

Taken off.

Btw, just bought Detour, UFO Extraterrestrials and Blocks that matter. If anything jumps at me as being super good, I'll be back convincing you. :p

gdt

How is Total War: Shogun 2? Accessible strategy game?

Woot, forgot about Amazon credit I had. Got Sonic Gen for free (!) and about to pay 2.50 for Total War Shogun.

Toma

How is Total War: Shogun 2? Accessible strategy game?

Great strategy game. And yes, the game knows how to teach you.

In fact for many (including GT) best strategy game this year.

Jaxter09

It would be good if there was one thread for discussing the games on sale; and another thread for coupon bitching/coal hunting/general inventory stuff.

elektrixx

Banned
Can someone from the UK only please please gift it to me immediately? It's 1am here so I'm gonna sleep for a while, but trust me, I'm good for it!

Right, and I'm sure each deal after the sales will say "Not valid with coupons". I seriously doubt valve are going to let people stock up on coupons that could possibly give them free games in the future.

...but they're already giving away free games now, so I don't really see your conceptual problem with that.

Personally I'd have preferred being able to trade in coal for specific items from a 'gift pile', even if those items were DLC as happened with the summer sale, but I can't actually find fault with buying games I want at ridiculously cheap prices, AND having additional chances to get FREE games on top of that.

Shit, even if I get coupns I can't ever use, that's still even more value for money than the savings already are. I don't understand the mentality of complaining about this. You don't even need to buy or play anything to have gotten free stuff from valve.

Is there any other way than paypal if I want somebody from another country to buy a game for me which is cut in my country. Maybe like gifting a game back for the same price or something. I assume that if the game is bought in another country and the person gifts it to another one from another country, it still will be uncut after the gifting right?. For example I want L4D2 but in my country only the cut version is avaiable and the boxed import costs me 20 euro.

Toma

Is there any other way than paypal if I want somebody from another country to buy a game for me which is cut in my country. I assume that if the game is bought in another country and the person gifts it to another one from another country, it still will be uncut after the gifting right?. For example I want L4D2 but in my country only the cut version is avaiable and the boxed import costs me 20 euro.

Yup, if the game is uncut in his region, you'll get the uncut version.
And I cant use Paypal either, I just suggest to pay back by gifting another game/or more in the same value. People usually agree.

So what are the best non-indie games deals, that you should keep an eye on in case there won´t be a daily deal for them?

Again: non-indie. Not that indie games aren´t great games, but I guess many of us already own quite a lot of them thanks to the indie bundles.

Yup, if the game is uncut in his region, you'll get the uncut version.
And I cant use Paypal either, I just suggest to pay back by gifting another game/or more in the same value. People usually agree.

Ok thank you.
Should I try to arrange something now or is it possible that Left 4 Dead 2 will be in the daily deal in the next days aswell?

Toma

Ok thank you.
Should I try to arrange something now or will Left 4 Dead 2 be a daily deal in the next days aswell?

Dude. Whats the number 1 rule for Steam Sales?

Edit: The Party Poopers above me ruined my quiz question.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Might as well create a seperate Steam sales discussion board O_O

Heh, if users actually read OPs or used some discretion before spamming stuff like "THIS NOT WORK ME Y???" we'd have 75% fewer replies and it'd be nicely contained to one high quality thread!

Volcynika

Heh, if users actually read OPs or used some discretion before spamming stuff like "THIS NOT WORK ME Y???" we'd have 75% fewer replies and it'd be nicely contained to one high quality thread!

Every time the deals change over it's a bunch of "I GOT AN ACHIEVEMENT BUT IT DIDN'T UNLOCK THE GIFT"

Patience, people!

Artofwar420

Got 6 pieces of coal. Better keep playing Tropico 4 200+ people 800 to go. Goo thing I'm actually making a profit here. Also, the game is pretty fun to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom