• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artofwar420

main.php

1-D_FTW

You really forget how many good games you have in your library until you play some again for these scavenger hunts.

All of Valve's shooters are aces. And no level grinding to boot. Why have I gotten away from these?

Wings of Prey (bought a stick for it last Christmas) seems like a ton of fun.

I really need to be careful about adding much more to my backlog. I literally have years of games already sitting there.

scy

So, I have a coupon for The Void so I checked it out and ... well, I know nothing about this game. I mean, it's just $5 so that's pretty much a "sure, why not?" purchase but, hey, if I can save $5 now, I might as well right? So ... any comments on the game? Worth the $5?

Artofwar420

So, I have a coupon for The Void so I checked it out and ... well, I know nothing about this game. I mean, it's just $5 so that's pretty much a "sure, why not?" purchase but, hey, if I can save $5 now, I might as well right? So ... any comments on the game? Worth the $5?

I only bought it and played a bit ago because... boobs. That's it, maybe others have gotten farther.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Only if you like experimental and artistic experiences that kick you in the butt if you dont appreciate them. I liked it as an... experience? But the game behind can be very offputting and even hard.

Chavelo

Why did I think this gift pile crafting system would be a little nicer than TF2's setup?

Crafted 14 coals and I got...

a 75% Torchlight coupon and a 50% Bit.Trip Beat coupon.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, GABEN. :3

ElRenoRaven

Why did I think this gift pile crafting system would be a little nicer than TF2's setup?

That's why I'm going to save up coal and then trade it off to people for games on the last day or two.

Red

Get it. It's tough, but very original.

Can you guys mention any cool indie games that might fall through the cracks? Earlier you guys recommended Faerie Solitaire and Westward IV.
Find them by just browsing by lowest price and bookmarking any you find interesting using wishlist. After that look for impressions. When possible play demo too.

That is what I can trying anyway.

TGMIII

I got 15% off an Id title when I crafted my coal :/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Asking again: Do those games with no holiday discounts have a chance of gaining discounts as daily deals? I mean, like Batman AC and Skyrim?
Activision already did this with one Call of Duty. Game didn't have a global holiday deal, but it was on sale on a daily deal, with a 15% discount :D

upandaway

Aliens vs Predator
50% off Shattered Horizon
50% off Back to the Future
50% off Valve
1 coal

Gosh dangit! I don't want these coupons!

If anyone wants to trade anything for 'em, I'm here, and if not, just take them away from me anyway

Zzoram

so tempted to get tropico 4 for the achievement. lol. darn you Gabe.
no.. must wait for the magical 75% off

Dude, 66% off vs 75% off is a difference of $3.59

Is it really worth waiting 6 months for that?

Tropico 4 is a damn fine game. It's good for more than just the achievement.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Let me fix this picture ...

imgur is not working :(

Aliens vs Predator
50% off Shattered Horizon
50% off Back to the Future
50% off Valve
1 coal

Gosh dangit! I don't want these coupons!

If anyone wants to trade anything for 'em, I'm here, and if not, just take them away from me anyway

anychance i could take that coal from you

ElRenoRaven

If anyone wants to work a deal I'll trade a coal or two for a copy of RTCW which is going for 5 bucks during the sale. Just PM me if you want to deal.

Damn should have put this in trading thread. lol

MBison

If its not a daily deal I assume the price is good until jan 2? I want to get Bastion and it's 33% off currently. I should just wait and see if it gets on a daily deal of not just snag before jan 2?

wilflare

Dude, 66% off vs 75% off is a difference of $3.59

Is it really worth waiting 6 months for that?

Tropico 4 is a damn fine game. It's good for more than just the achievement.

that makes perfect sense. Tropico games aren't known for.. GOTY/Complete editions.. right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

naib

Hey y'all. Dungeons of Dredmor is kinda fantastic.

Picked it up after watching TB's WTF. 3 hours later I had forgotten all about the holiday cheevo. I was crafting some stuff just to lighten my load when I saw I had the ingredients for the Diggle Nog. Oh yeah!

On my 3rd attempt now and I'm one-hitting most baddies on the 1st and 2nd floor. Tinkering with the crafting now and trying to figure out what's worth keeping.

1st crafting recipe I found is amazing:
One-armed Leather Jacket + The Wizard's Sleeve = Magical Badass Jacket.
http://i.imgur.com/GgG6d.png
:lol

The only thing I find disappointing is that your gear isn't reflected on your character. Not too surprising given the budget. But there is native mod support..

Such a fun game. Best $2 I've spent in a long time.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Incoming and tangentially related to the sale: Every owner of The Ship will be getting two free copies of the game to gift, allegedly sometime later today. And anyone who gets one of those gifts will *also* get two copies to gift. So we can potentially make sure everyone on GAF owns a copy of The Ship.

Saaay whhaat. Who is running this promotion? It seems like a very un-Activision thing to do and the developer is dead.

Edit: Apparently Blazing Griffin bought the rights.

scy

I only bought it and played a bit ago because... boobs. That's it, maybe others have gotten farther.

Wait, boobs?

Only if you like experimental and artistic experiences that kick you in the butt if you dont appreciate them. I liked it as an... experience? But the game behind can be very offputting and even hard.

True difficulty or artificial from terrible controls or level design? I enjoy things that are difficult so just in that sense it may be worth the $5.

...that and, really, it's just $5.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wait, boobs?

True difficulty or artificial from terrible controls or level design? I enjoy things that are difficult so just in that sense it may be worth the $5.

...that and, really, it's just $5.

Lol, yes. Boobs. The difficulty comes from a gameplay design standpoint. From what you wrote, just give it a try for the experience. Wacky enough that it might be worth 5€ alone for you.

Zzoram

that makes perfect sense. Tropico games aren't known for.. GOTY/Complete editions.. right?

Well Tropico 3 did get a Complete bundle with it's expansion, but I bought them separately when they hit the prices that I was happy with ($20 game, $10 expansion). Tropico 3's price tanked when Tropico 4 came out.

Troipco 4 currently has 2 DLCs out, and they announced that they planned to make 3 DLCs total so 1 more is coming. There is a possibility of an expansion sometime late 2012. I suppose if you really want, you can wait until the Holiday 2012 sale and get Complete for $15-20 or something.

It depends on how much you want a game. The longer you wait, the more you save. Some people decide that they'd rather have a game 6 months or 1 year earlier and pay the extra $5 or $10 overall to experience the game sooner.

Personally I don't mind paying $13.59 for Troipco 4 now, and picking up the DLC and expansions when they're cheap in the future. It's an easy type of game to get back into with more content after a long break because it's not like there is a deep elaborate story you need to remember.

Chesskid1

Banned
there's some bethesda coupons floating around.

i imagine 50% off skyrim etc is a pretty good deal. try to nab one up if you want skyrim and can wait till jan.

MBison

Does psychonauts run fine on modern win 7 system or will I need to do a lot of tweaking? What's the max res on it also?

alf717

Wait I thought you had to leave your coal alone to be entered into the drawling for the games? Isn't crafting coal like throwing your chances to win away?

Turfster

Does psychonauts run fine on modern win 7 system or will I need to do a lot of tweaking? What's the max res on it also?

It got kind of a HD widescreen overhaul, works perfectly fine in win 7, has native xbox controller support.

There is absolutely no reason not to get it if you don't have it already.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wait I thought you had to leave your coal alone to be entered into the drawling for the games? Isn't crafting coal like throwing your chances to win away?

Well, yeah, it's a trade-off. Your odds of crafting something good are potentially much higher than winning in the big, end of sale drawing.

Cardigan

Yes, but instead you get the chance to win a game or coupon. Chance of game/coupon >>>>>> chance of winning in the drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom