• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Got 6 pieces of coal. Better keep playing Tropico 4 200+ people 800 to go. Goo thing I'm actually making a profit here. Also, the game is pretty fun to boot.

I was running on fumes by the time I got to 1000, I totally rushed it and had my population vastly outstripping my resources. I was losing something like 50-60,000 a year. Wasn't helped by the fact that I was also completing tasks in the meantime, which required a surprising amount of resources.

Artofwar420

I was running on fumes by the time I got to 1000, I totally rushed it and had my population vastly outstripping my resources. I was losing something like 50-60,000 a year. Wasn't helped by the fact that I was also completing tasks in the meantime, which required a surprising amount of resources.

The plus side of the side tasks is that sometimes they give you poop-tons of money. I ain't not expert in T4, but keeping the US or USSR happy helps too.

Just got 25% off any TellTale game

that's a pretty cool coupon actually, especially if it stacks with regular deals. TT's stuff seems to always go on sale, so I might as well wait until then to pick up Puzzle Agent, maybe for 75% off the original price, and then an additional 25% off, bringing it down to nearly pennies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Have we gotten anyone with an "oh man, I've been working for the last 72 hours straight. I can't believe I missed this deal by an hour! :-(" yet?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So I got a gift called Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor... is it a good game?

They're fine games (if you like top-down shooters). But you probably won't find many interested in trading for them, though, as they were part of the Humble Frozenbyte bundle a few months back.

Kabouter

The plus side of the side tasks is that sometimes they give you poop-tons of money. I ain't not expert in T4, but keeping the US or USSR happy helps too.

Others get really expensive though, doing the 'no shacks' thing when I had 700 people living on my island was a bad idea :D. I had giant, endless fields of apartment buildings. And of course to avoid any shacks still being built, I charged almost nothing for them haha.

Artofwar420

Others get really expensive though, doing the 'no shacks' thing when I had 700 people living on my island was a bad idea :D. I had giant, endless fields of apartment buildings. And of course to avoid any shacks still being built, I charged almost nothing for them haha.

I'm such a communist in this one. Free housing for everyone!

Turfster

Maybe a "show the first post on top of each page" option that only gets turned on for threads like this?

Not that it would help a lot probably...

Philthy

Dungeons of Dredmor is one of my favorite roguelikes. I was apprehensive about the weird art style and humor for a roguelike, but the game is amazingly hilariously fun. It offers a really unique style and atmosphere to the genre without leaving it. I have gotten my moneys worth out of this game twenty times over. It is one of those indie gems that can be set next to Minecraft, Star Ruler, Terarria, etc.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Maybe a "show the first post on top of each page" option that only gets turned on for threads like this?

Not that it would help a lot probably...

First post is huuuuge. And sometimes its more than 1 post. Nope, sorry.

scy

So, I bought Tropico 4 on a whim because why not. About 6 hours later, I realized I had been playing for 6 fucking hours. What manner of sorcery is this?!

It was odd. I was about the same until ~500-ish people and then quickly was getting $40-60k+ surplus for awhile until the 800s and then the economy tanked. Shortly after breaking 1000, I had a $100k+ yearly surplus somehow.

My problem was my population was vastly outstripping my housing, I had 1.5 million in the bank but my palace was surrounded by shacks

Oil + Tourism is a nice combination

Turfster

First post is huuuuge. And sometimes its more than 1 post. Nope, sorry.

Well of course this would require the first post to become just a short list of rules, and the second post to be the 'normal' OP. And I did say only for threads like these were people keep repeating the same questions =p

Anyone still considering DoD? ;) Just woke up, so for the Gaffers that havent read it before I went to bed :p

Dungeons of Dredmor
listen to this man's ramblings! Dungeons of Dredmor oozes charm and inventiveness and the game just begs to be endlessly replayed. i have been furiously addicted since grabbing it several weeks ago, and that is just from playing the exact same mage build over and over (until the recent big balance patch, at least. RIP burglary). there are still countless character builds that i have yet to experiment with.

coopolon

I really had a good time with Tropico 3, but after about 23 hours it got the point where I was doing the same thing every map to win regardless of what the challenge was and so I forced myself to move on.

So I'm really tempted to get Tropico 4, but it just looks like too incremental a step up from Tropico 3. Maybe when it hits $5 or less.

I'm also really tempted to get Shogun. It's not really my genre, but for $7.50 plus $5 credit, Idunno, I feel like it's worth trying just to see what the hype is about.

Is the demo representative of the actual game's performance? I'm a little worried about my puny 3 Ghz dual core.

backdrifter

Neo Member
I'm not quite sure exactly why I'm so gripped with this particular sale/Gift Pile, but it's helping me pick up some cracking titles I'd been quibbling over, as well as making a little headway through my epic backlog.

Dungeons of Dredmor in particular is phenomenal for the meager price point it's standing at.

Currently packing some awful coupons, and 6 lumps of coal! Hopefully this evening will be spent worrying over whether or not to risk switching my coal into another inevitably disappointing coupon

Artofwar420

Can you guys mention any cool indie games that might fall through the cracks? Earlier you guys recommended Faerie Solitaire and Westward IV.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can you guys mention any cool indie games that might fall through the cracks? Earlier you guys recommended Faerie Solitaire and Westward IV.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411010

:)

Personal recommendations would be SpaceChem, Frozen Synapse, Dungeons of Dredmor,Binding of Isaac, Jamestown, Geneforge/Avadon, Eschalon, Recettear,Children of the Nile, Civcity, Lucas Arts Adventure pack (not exactly Indie but overlooked nonetheless) ...

Chaos

ilyvhl.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Asking again: Do those games with no holiday discounts have a chance of gaining discounts as daily deals? I mean, like Batman AC and Skyrim?

Toma

Asking again: Do those games with no holiday discounts have a chance of gaining discounts as daily deals? I mean, like Batman AC and Skyrim?

Sure, yes. Might get a 25% or even 33% deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom