• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

YL7gQMj.png

Cross posted from OT. I dunno where the NOLURKERS applies to, but it's there.

I'm giving to one lucky person a copy of the critically acclaimed Bad Rats! That's right, only one of you will win the grand prize! The other 4 people will be stuck with the joke gift Spelunky :lol :trollface kappa! I know that this will piss four of you off, but think of the one lucky guy or gal who gets his mitts on the crown jewel of steam games!!

Haha I love this.

Volotaire

I loved the 2008 game but have never completed any of the other games in the series. Been holding out for a daily/flash sale for that game and overall series. Fingers crossed.

The first 3D game is a brilliant mix of platforming, puzzles and the time mechanic. It's quite difficult in parts too IIRC.

Honestly it is tempting because I still don't have Bad Rats.

I don't have either, it's a win-win for me.

Anustart

Honestly it is tempting because I still don't have Bad Rats.

I don't have either of them :( I was gonna get my girlfriend Game of Thrones but it's 22 and change and could only afford a 20$ wallet card so I decided to give to you guys and gals :3 I love you all more than you could ever imagine. Sexually.

autoduelist

So Age of Wonders 3 is a daily deal. Buy it now or forever regret your dire mistake.

AoW3 is pretty good I just wish it had a bit more as far as city-building elements are concerned.

I think part of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on Endless Legend is that both AoW3 and Warlock2 were a little too light on those things for me and I'm worried it'll sit fallow in my library.

Endless Legend.

Easily.

So. I've been reading up on both Endless Legend and AOW3 but I honestly can't afford either at this point in time. They both sound great for different reasons (the combat I've read about in AOW3 makes my mouth water),

So now I'm looking for a cheap alternative that fits within my meager budget.

Does anyone know if Eador. Genesis is worth my time? It's only $1.79 and seems to be in the same general genre.

Anyone know of anything else dirt cheap that would scratch the itch? I prefer tactics over city building but don't mind both.

Spelunky/Bad Rats giveaway is really nice. I'd participate if I didn't already own Spelunky.

Haven't done too much gifting of Bad Rats this year since a lot of my friends list seems to already own it. :(

MattyG

Banned
How's Train Simulator 2015? I love trains, have since I was a kid, but it has a lot of negative Steam reviews. Is it still worth a buy?

cicero

I loved the 2008 game but have never completed any of the other games in the series. Been holding out for a daily/flash sale for that game and overall series. Fingers crossed.

I was going to do that this year too, but I noticed that the collection option was not on Steam, not sure if it was ever there, and GOG had them all together for $10 during their sale a couple of weeks ago.

It was actually cheaper during the Summer sale at $7.xx USD.
Worth it, though. I loved it.

He's confused the triple pack is 10. Single game is 7 and game and season pass is 15.

Finally got around to playing the DLC. Really enjoyed it. I liked the game a lot and have played the main game through close to three times.

I'm done with the sale. Ended up purchasing the games that I really want (Just Cause 2, If my Heart had wings) + got others through the help of the fine folks here @ NeoGAF. I've even finished decorating my profile page to the best anime style I could possible. Before, I thought creating a steam library would be a very expensive hobby, but here am I spending lesser than what I've paid for if I'll go through the console buying route.

Subjective experience, but thanks to the region-pricing I can get more games from my meager salary. before when it was pegged to the dollar, I could only afford one or two games but now an extra game or two can be considered a buy from me.

MUnited83

For you.
Going through my wishlist is so depressing... so many stuff that has already been discount for 75% off and further on previous sales now getting crappy discounts or no discounts at all. Terrible terrible sale.

This War of Mine is great, the devs hit a home-run. It's like Telltale's the Walking Dead mixed with actual, geunine gameplay. There's an intense survival aspect set in an utterly comeplling, war-torn world that you have to survive in.

Surviving, let alone living, has never been so brutal.

So. I've been reading up on both Endless Legend and AOW3 but I honestly can't afford either at this point in time. They both sound great for different reasons (the combat I've read about in AOW3 makes my mouth water),

So now I'm looking for a cheap alternative that fits within my meager budget.

Does anyone know if Eador. Genesis is worth my time? It's only $1.79 and seems to be in the same general genre.

Anyone know of anything else dirt cheap that would scratch the itch? I prefer tactics over city building but don't mind both.

Eador: Genesis barely worked on my 64-bit computer (no sound, required hardware downclock to run properly) and the dev basically remade the game with Eador: Master of the Broken World which I can't recommend either. Neither of them are particularly fun, they're plagued by technical issues, clunky mechanics, and slow, monotonous gameplay. There are seriously cool ideas but the dev isn't up to making it a reality.

Also, I recall a post by a marketing dude for Eador that basically all but said "we pushed it out when we did to beat the competition to market," and it shows. The game was not ready and I regret buying it at release.

If you're looking for cheaper strategy games in the vein of EL or AoW3, try something like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (a classic), Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (a classic), or King's Bounty: Crossworlds (not a classic but still rather good). There's other stuff like the newer King's Bounty and Heroes of Might & Magic games, as well as a couple small indie titles on the level of Eador, but the ones I listed are the best and most relevant, far as I'm concerned.

Good luck.

Teggy

I haven't, I've moved it towards the top of my wishlist for the last day of the sale though. I see that there are multiple games in that series. Would you recommend all of them?

Unfortunately I haven't played the rest yet. Soul Reaver was made by TR devs and feels linked to those games even though it has a very different setting and mechanics. I don't think the sequels are quite the same. Maybe someone else could add something.

MBison

Going through my wishlist is so depressing... so many stuff that has already been discount for 75% off and further on previous sales now getting crappy discounts or no discounts at all. Terrible terrible sale.

If something has already been 75% and you keep passing it up hoping it goes lower, what are you looking to save another buck or two? I mean really :)

The sales are always good. Just about everything on the site gets a good discount relative to its release. The only people that complain either already own eveeything or expect people to just give away stuff.

MUnited83

For you.
If something has already been 75% and you keep passing it up hoping it goes lower, what are you looking to save another buck or two? I mean really :)

The sales are always good. Just about everything on the site gets a good discount relative to its release. The only people that complain either already own eveeything or expect people to just give away stuff.
I have over 1000 titles on my wishlist, excuse me if I don't get all :p. And no, the sales are not always good and neither do they get a good discount. As I already said, there's many many stuff that has already been discounted by a larger percentage several times before, and some things are not even on sale at all. This sale is bat and that's it really.

Thought I'd post this, seemed like a pretty good deal. If anybody was interested in the Tomb Raider games, GMG has the Tomb Raider Collection for sale for $15.99 - 20% / 22% off coupons = $12.48 / $12.80.

20% off coupon - WINTER-SALE20-GROGRE
22% off coupon - BK0F62-EI6HXM-B8PXY4

It includes (all Steam keys):
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light DLC All the Trappings - Challenge Pack 1
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light DLC Things that Go Boom - Challenge Pack 2
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light DLC Hazardous Reunion - Challenge Pack 3
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light DLC Raziel and Kain Character Pack
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary
  • Tomb Raider I
  • Tomb Raider II
  • Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
  • Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
  • Tomb Raider V: Chronicles
  • Tomb Raider VI: The Angel of Darkness
  • Tomb Raider VII: Legend
  • Tomb Raider VIII: Underworld
  • Tomb Raider GOTY

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this.

So I meant to give away multiple copies of this and some other things but Steam seems to be acting up/not sending emails. Hopefully someone enjoys this. :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Threads, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ORION: Prelude -- MB-46101CA9CA8C92E7 - Taken by Sch1sm. 2 entrants total.

t1419391863z1.png

autoduelist

Eador: Genesis barely worked on my 64-bit computer (no sound, required hardware downclock to run properly) and the dev basically remade the game with Eador: Master of the Broken World which I can't recommend either. Neither of them are particularly fun, they're plagued by technical issues, clunky mechanics, and slow, monotonous gameplay. There are seriously cool ideas but the dev isn't up to making it a reality.

Also, I recall a post by a marketing dude for Eador that basically all but said "we pushed it out when we did to beat the competition to market," and it shows. The game was not ready and I regret buying it at release.

If you're looking for cheaper strategy games in the vein of EL or AoW3, try something like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (a classic), Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (a classic), or King's Bounty: Crossworlds (not a classic but still rather good). There's other stuff like the newer King's Bounty and Heroes of Might & Magic games, as well as a couple small indie titles on the level of Eador, but the ones I listed are the best and most relevant, far as I'm concerned.

Good luck.

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic looks perfect for me, I think. I've played HoMM / King's Bounty before, and they are definitely good too.

I used to play Warlords way back when... I think that's the scratch I'm trying to itch.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Last call!:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GuardianE, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Devil May Cry 4 -- MB-81A2BBB1E42B1AB8 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN

t1419391983z1.png

agvlaBB.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VisceralBowl, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AUPeRsu.jpg

MYSTERY GAME #3 -- MB-57E5AC58E6C64C15 - Taken by trailmix16. 3 entrants total.
MYSTERY GAME #2 -- MB-6E486CD3897925CF - Taken by pupo. 8 entrants total.
MYSTERY GAME -- MB-9470A6BB4AFA5605 - Taken by The Reloader. 7 entrants total.
MYSTERY GAME #5 -- MB-81E6E5D9B044F500 - Taken by Flandy. 11 entrants total.
MYSTERY GAME #4 -- MB-7D6D3007BA2156F3 - Taken by Belgarion. 10 entrants total.

t1419402543z1.png

So glad I didn't buy Alien Isolation as it came off of the daily (double day-ly?). Thank you based Nuuvem.

So is all the Season Pass stuff the Survivor mode? The game and the pass is the same price as what it cost on Steam yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom