• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

when I asked why so many posts, I didn't exactly expected everybody just to stop posting to keep that post count low

dex3108

OMG best Chrome extension after Enhanced Steam

ImprovedYoutube

Why? Because you can hide comments! :D

P.S. It is Humble Bundle day and i hope that we will see new one today and we can only hope that it will be good XD

yuraya

P.S. It is Humble Bundle day and i hope that we will see new one today and we can only hope that it will be good XD

They are probably skipping this week. They are participating in pc gamer show next tuesday. So my guess is they announce new bundle next week.

Hektor

Humble PSN Bundle

1$ Tier: Journey, Retro/Grade, Axiom Verge

10$ Tier: Drakengard 3, NepNep 2

25$ Tier: An Autogram from Shuhei Yoshida

Regionlocked to Japan only.

You've heard it here first.

Arthea

Humble PSN Bundle

no hug pillows? Totally fake

edited: it will be a break, yeah. They might do flash E3 bundle as horrid as last time. Please be excited!

Haunted

Humble PSN Bundle

autograph

Also, I think like there was a phase where steam sales were overshadowed by offers on Amazon etc, humble bundle kinda got overtaken by bundle stars and other bundle sites, I've certainly bought more from other sites than HB recently.

Arthea

autograph

Also, I think like there was a phase where steam sales were overshadowed by offers on Amazon etc, humble bundle kinda got overtaken by bundle stars and other bundle sites, I've certainly bought more from other sites than HB recently.

HB store lost most appeal to me when they introduced regional prices. I used to buy a lot of games there.

hello!

I doubt it. I think no one is going to care anymore in two months. If the devs that are being "ruined" by refunds like Moorhead hate it so much they should go and sell their games somewhere else. Good riddance.

seriously?

Hektor

autograph

Woops!
62fx62f

HB store lost most appeal to me when they introduced regional prices. I used to buy a lot of games there.

Pretty much. The only interesting thing the humble store has left is the DRM-Free copy you get with every purchase, though i personally dont have any use for that.

Phinor

Well that was slightly awkward. Requested a refund on Homeworld (needless to say people enjoy it but it just wasn't for me) and just when the refund was approved, I noticed Idle Master was idling cards for.. Homeworld. The game didn't exist in my library anymore but Idle Master had already begun running the game. Obviously I shut it down but I got another card already.

Not planning to use the refund feature often but I'm glad it exists now. I do think they need to figure something out for shorter games though. I enjoy short games just as much as longer games and the system will be abused because it exists.

Hektor

Well that was slightly awkward. Requested a refund on Homeworld (needless to say people enjoy it but it just wasn't for me) and just when the refund was approved, I noticed Idle Master was idling cards for.. Homeworld. The game didn't exist in my library anymore but Idle Master had already begun running the game. Obviously I shut it down but I got another card already.

Not planning to use the refund feature often but I'm glad it exists now. I do think they need to figure something out for shorter games though. I enjoy short games just as much as longer games and the system will be abused because it exists.

People who desperately dont want to pay for a game, will always find a way. Once this "two hour loophole" is closed, those people will just resort to piracy

DwarfBag

Neo Member
one word introducing post? surely, you can do better than this
also welcome to this mad house

edited: I try to stay away from gog, to save me some money. It's not easy, I must say

sup? lashman or robotbrush whatever his name here is neogaf got me into this i hope i get to play and have fun talking to you guys

Haunted

If that's really possible, the card economy will tank so damn hard.

3 cent cards everywhere.

Eanan

Humble PSN Bundle

Unlike Nintendo though, its simple to make a Japanese PSN account and you can play the downloaded games on your normal european/USA account also.

seriously?
Yes.
bEDihBp.png

YVIBsL5.png

It's not the first time that he says something like this. If you hate your audience, do something else. I also don't think that simply making a thing, anything, and selling it on Steam entitles you to be successful or earn a living wage, which is something many devs believe. Making something that enough people want to pay for does. If people don't like what you're doing you should probably find a different job and make games as a hobby.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you guys also got a bit caught up in Splatoon? goddaaaaaaaaaaamn what a ride, wooosh. Add me if you have a wii u, nnid same as gaf name

Arthea

Yes.
http://i.imgur.com/bEDihBp.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YVIBsL5.png[/IMG

It's not the first time that he says something like this. If you hate your audience, do something else. I also don't think that simply making a thing, [I]anything[/I], and selling it on Steam entitles you to be successful or earn a living wage, which is something many devs believe. Making something that enough people [I]want to pay for[/I] does. If people don't like what you're doing you should probably find a different job and make games as a hobby.[/QUOTE]

wait, so lemme get this straight, if someone is unhappy with a new order, we shouldn't try to solve problems, and there are obvious problems here, we should just get rid of them, no problems to solve. Am I right?
If people don't want your game, they don't buy it, if they buy it and play it and then get refund, they just want your game free. And as we all know, people love free stuff, so in fact they love your game.

Mivey

It's not the first time that he says something like this. If you hate your audience, do something else.

Seems to me he sees himself more as an artist, then an entertainer. Which is fine, but Steam is a marketplace. An artist seeking creative freedom should find a patron, or make a patreon site.

wait, so lemme get this straight, if someone is unhappy with a new order, we shouldn't try to solve problems, and there are obvious problems here, we should just get rid of them, no problems to solve. Am I right?
If people don't want your game, they don't buy it, if they buy it and play it and then get refund, they just want your game free. And as we all know, people love free stuff, so in fact they love your game.

I don't think there are any problems here, and
if they buy it and play it and then get refund, they just want your game free.
this isn't true.
Seems to me he sees himself more as an artist, then an entertainer. Which is fine, but Steam is a marketplace. An artist seeking creative freedom should find a patron, or make a patreon site.
That's absolutely what he thinks, and guess what, many artists can't live from their art. Boo hoo.

Chariot

Stop having fun with games! If you don't have fun with a game you bought it was because Jesus wanted it to be that way. Do you hate Jesus, DO. YOU. HATE. JESUS.

Arthea

I don't think there are any problems here, and

this isn't true.

That's absolutely what he thinks, and guess what, many artists can't live from their art. Boo hoo.

you don't think? I guess that makes it true and you saying that something isn't true, makes it so, gotcha.

Except there is no problem here. People are judging this system based on small data and acting all melodramatic. This is the most pro-consumer policy Valve have come up with since forever.

you don't think? I guess that makes it true and you saying that something isn't true, makes it so, gotcha.

No we're discussing things here and I already posted why I think this isn't a problem before. Don't take this personal. You have zero proof that this actually is a problem either.
I don't have a horse in this race. I didn't get a refund yet and I don't plan to in the future so Valve can do whatever they want. In general I think a customer friendly approach is ALWAYS the right way to do business.

Arthea

Except there is no problem here. People are judging this system based on small data and acting all melodramatic. This is the most pro-consumer policy Valve have come up with since forever.

I'd like to live in your alternative universe where people are happy not being paid, for reasons.
Totally no problems here, from your perspective, I get it, I'm not talking about you guys, of course you have no problems with it.

No we're discussing things here and I already posted why I think this isn't a problem before. Don't take this personal. You have zero proof that this actually is a problem either.

there were quite a few voices of unhappy devs by now, I don't need any more proof, do I? I'm not a dev, just being realistic and I know how people behave in situations like this.

I like to live in your alternative universe where people are happy not being paid, for reasons.

Stop saying this as if it's the truth. You don't know that.
People are going to make loads of money in the upcoming sale, like always. and refunds will change very little about that. Unless your game is crap.
there were quite a few voices of unhappy devs by now, I don't need any more proof, do I? I'm not a dev, just being realistic and I know how people behave in situations like this.
The thing is live for a single week that is leading up to one of the biggest sales of the year. That's not how data analysis works. You can tell exactly nothing from the data.
https://twitter.com/cliffski/status/607491581923500032

I mean come on now, this is ridiculous. Bunch of drama queens.
EDIT: Derp

Yes.
bEDihBp.png

YVIBsL5.png

It's not the first time that he says something like this. If you hate your audience, do something else. I also don't think that simply making a thing, anything, and selling it on Steam entitles you to be successful or earn a living wage, which is something many devs believe. Making something that enough people want to pay for does. If people don't like what you're doing you should probably find a different job and make games as a hobby.

Had to look up what he made, ahhh Stranded!

Coincidentally I played through Stranded today, start to finish in about 30mins. It's an experience, whether I enjoyed it or not, I'm not really sure. It's has an interesting setting, has great music, but there just isn't enough content to justify the ridiculous RRP of $7.99. I can't blame anyone asking for a refund buying it at $8.

Also for a game where all you can do is walk places, how about making the walking not so janky?

Now if you don't want to play the game, the story in complete unadulterated detail.

You crash on a planet. Strange robots abound. Walk to four temples, nothing happens. Go back to the ship and go to bed.

Wake up at night. Everything glows. Walk to 3 of the 4 temples, they light up! Walk to 4th temple, dead robot blocks entrance. Back to the ship for sleepytime.

Wake up during the day go to all 4 temples, nothing happens. Back to the ship, no Oxygen! Watch a robot take a bath in a lake. Back to bed.

Finally nighttime again. Walk to 3/4 temples, they light up again. Walk to the 4th, no dead robot, go inside. All the lights combine and now you are a robot. Clearly the other robots were once marooned spacemen showing you how to survive on the planet and the importance of robot cleanliness.

Adapt to survive

zkylon

zkylewd
well no one voted for my monitor to break so i guess i know who's days are numbered

Yes.
bEDihBp.png

YVIBsL5.png

the guy's just weird

he says in his blog he rather 30% of his players love his games, than 90% think they're good and forgettable, but he still wants the 70% remaining to pay for his games, which is kind of awful imo

you can't pretend your game is niche but then also want a pool of impulse buyers to sustain you, that's just kind of ridiculous

and it's kind of funny cos the solutions he suggest at the end are super simple and reasonable, so no idea why he gotta go around creating enemies for something so dumb

Arthea

Stop saying this as if it's the truth. You don't know that.
People are going to make loads of money in the upcoming sale, like always. and refunds will change very little about that. Unless your game is shorter than 2 hours.

fixed that for you

as I said, we'll see where things go after the sale. Now it's not the right time.

I'd like to live in your alternative universe where people are happy not being paid, for reasons.
Totally no problems here, from your perspective, I get it, I'm not talking about you guys, of course you have no problems with it.

How about we wait a couple of months how this turns out. Right now it's too early to come to any conclusions.

People are comparing 180 days of potential refunds vs a few days of sales. Of course, the refund percentages are going to seem high in that kind of comparison. 13 refunds over 3 days when you sold 18 copies that day sounds high. 13 refunds covering a period of 180 days during which you've sold 1,000 copies is much less impressive.

For us, Day 1 Refunds > Day 2 Refunds > Day 3 Refunds. They're dropping each day and they're dropping fast. I don't know when the refunds/day will stabilize, but it's way too soon to draw much of any conclusion.

Considering how fad-driven the internet at large is, I find that the argument that people are getting refunds a lot more now than they will a week or a month from now quite convincing.

Also, at least according to Steamspy, total game ownership on Steam has increased since the new policy:
TeFgzwO.png

Just Cliffy being Cliffy.

He's not CliffyB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom