• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsyndrome

I apparently poked a hornet's nest so I'm not going to quote everyone.

$6 is perfectly fine to ask for an upgrade to that new edition, I hope most people can agree with that. It's a new publisher who went back to that old ass game because they still saw some value in it, did some stuff, fixed some things, charge a bit of money for it. Whatever.

Now, they made the mistake of being too generous by also giving copies away for free to certain people, but did it in a bit of an awkward way so people got envious. It's a little bit unfair, yes, but not a reason to review bomb the game and call Nordic Satan.

If they simply charged everyone $6 they would have avoided this PR disaster, but because people can't stand the thought of missing out on a +1 it ended up like this. I already see that I won't convince anyone, so keep being outraged until the publisher buckles and you get what you want.
I agree with this. Unfortunately, all the outrage wouldn't be there if they didn't give it away for free at all. Quality of the port aside, it's a better deal to upgrade than SotFS, and the reason I'll play this and never get the upgraded version of DSII.

The keys aren't missing a character, are they? GMG's Ghosts keys had that problem.

Edit: Ah, Funstock's were written down incorrectly.

So the funstock keys go fixed? I guess I'll get a refund and pick up from there if the game runs smoothly. It would be weird for a retailer with a physical store presence to be doing shady stuff with keys. They're probably just unorganized.

Grief.exe

I apparently poked a hornet's nest so I'm not going to quote everyone.

$6 is perfectly fine to ask for an upgrade to that new edition, I hope most people can agree with that. It's a new publisher who went back to that old ass game because they still saw some value in it, did some stuff, fixed some things, charge a bit of money for it. Whatever.

Now, they made the mistake of being too generous by also giving copies away for free to certain people, but did it in a bit of an awkward way so people got envious. It's a little bit unfair, yes, but not a reason to review bomb the game and call Nordic Satan.

If they simply charged everyone $6 they would have avoided this PR disaster, but because people can't stand the thought of missing out on a +1 it ended up like this. I already see that I won't convince anyone, so keep being outraged until the publisher buckles and you get what you want.

I agree with this. Unfortunately, all the outrage wouldn't be there if they didn't give it away for free at all.

I was about to bring up the same observation.

It seems this is mainly a perception issue. If Nordic had simply offered an 80% discount for owning Darksiders II, and not a free option then there wouldn't be an outcry.

Corpekata

Banned
Don't know why people are acting like there wouldn't be negativity if it wasn't given away for free.

Dark Souls 2, Sleeping Dogs, State of Decay, Metro Last Light all had questionable upgrades and their charging for them dominated the conversation about the game on PC. They did similar things, charged too much for what was largely a console upgrade and punished full price adopters of their DLC. None of these games offered free options, just a variety of upgrade paths.

Heck Metro Last Light Redux essentially wanted you to pay for what was barely a GOTY rebundle if you had the DLC.

Nordic would be getting shit either way because the upgrade by most accounts is paltry at best.

Jazz573

So while everyone is cheering on the downvoters of Darksiders 2 reviews, I'm getting eaten alive in the VN thread for even suggesting people should downvote G-Senjou no Maou reviews. :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Little OT, is there someone who's using firefox that has problems with searching on google? If I search anything and I click on the links nothing happens, and if I open the link in a new tab it gives me error 404. Chrome doesn't have this problem

My laptop's firefox install has reverted back to the old youtube player lately, I wonder if there's something going on that's messed up viewing google services on the browser.

madjoki

It seems this is mainly a perception issue. If Nordic had simply offered an 80% discount for owning Darksiders II, and not a free option then there wouldn't be an outcry.

It is. But I mean sure they can't honestly expect there not to be backslash when doing this?

"Yeah, some of you're getting it free and some of you have to pay for it despite having exactly same content".

Seems like asking for backslash.

Most of reviews seems to be about game being unplayable at all, so those are deserved.

Regardless, I wouldn't have paid 6€ for it anyway.

Annubis

So while everyone is cheering on the downvoters of Darksiders 2, I'm getting eaten alive in the VN thread for even suggesting people should downvote G-Senjou no Maou reviews.

To be fair, looking at that image posted here, it's not like anything that was critical was cropped out of that picture.
I mean it sucks, but it's not like there are any widescreen versions of those images and I'm pretty sure nobody wanted to put the money down to redraw the entire game.

Now, for my jerk-ish joke about the image:
OH GOD NO!!!! I CAN'T SEE WHAT HE IS EATING WITH HIS CHOPSTICKS NOW ! THE HORROR !!!

I heard you might like this.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pantsattack, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Read Only Memories -- MB-5FC733BFCC4F8204 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 8 entrants total.

t1446773585z1.png

Jazz573

To be fair, looking at that image posted here, it's not like anything that was critical was cropped out of that picture.
I mean it sucks, but it's not like there are any widescreen versions of those images and I'm pretty sure nobody wanted to put the money down to redraw the entire game.

Now, for my jerk-ish joke about the image:
OH GOD NO!!!! I CAN'T SEE WHAT HE IS EATING WITH HIS CHOPSTICKS NOW ! THE HORROR !!!

Well it is kind of disrespectful to the artist. Also, I'm less upset about the CGs than how SP handled the issue.

Backlogger

"Yeah, some of you're getting it free and some of you have to pay for it despite having exactly same content".

That is an excellent summary of what people are upset about and I think a perfectly valid thing to be upset about. Not sure why someone would tell you not to be upset about that.

Zeknurn

For any Swedes:

Be aware that some of them are only available for in-store pickup.

Well it is kind of disrespectful to the artist.

Well that of course excuses calling for the internet hate mob to mass-downvote positive reviews. You need to realize that many people don't care about this AT ALL. If you have a problem with it you should deal with it yourself.

Grief.exe

Most of reviews seems to be about game being unplayable at all, so those are deserved.

Regardless, I wouldn't have paid 6€ for it anyway.

Took a look, most of the other negative reviews are because the game is broken as shit on top of the discount fiasco. Internet is doing it's job.

Need independent confirmation before accepting those as fact. Could just be less mature versions of the pricing reviews.

I'm not saying the game isn't broken as I haven't done the necessary research to confirm either way.

Jazz573

Well that of course excuses calling for the internet hate mob to mass-downvote positive reviews. You need to realize that many people don't care about this AT ALL. If you have a problem with it you should deal with it yourself.

I'm not really upset about the CGs. What I'm upset about is how SP handled the issue.

ArjanN

so am i to understand that Trine 3 isnt worth picking up right now? is it still be worked on?

havent really kept up with this one

They added a free level and Linux support today.

It's pretty good, but the 3D stuff didn't really add that much and it's not all that long. it's pretty cheap now though, so I'd say it's still worth it.

MUnited83

For you.
I agree with this. Unfortunately, all the outrage wouldn't be there if they didn't give it away for free at all. Quality of the port aside, it's a better deal to upgrade than SotFS, and the reason I'll play this and never get the upgraded version of DSII.

Well, yeah, thats kinda the point, that its unfair.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Redrawing all his work wouldn't be that much more respectful =/

Could just do what the console versions did and add a toggle really. :p

Although I do think Jazz's dumb down voting plan is stupid mostly because there is no actual visible message behind it besides someone down voting positive reviews.

Jazz573

Could just do what the console versions did and add a toggle really. :p

Although I do think Jazz's dumb down voting plan is stupid mostly because there is no actual visible message behind it besides someone down voting positive reviews.

How is it different from the whole Darksiders issue?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
And as far as I can tell from the VN thread someone came into the thread, explained the situation and apologized. What's the problem here?

That's well and good but people can still be upset since it's not exactly been fixed, not saying that Jazz's course of action makes any sense at all though.

That's well and good but people can still be upset since it's not exactly been fixed, not saying that Jazz's course of action makes any sense at all though.

I'm not in the loop about the whole issue with SP so I can't comment on that, I'm just talking about the call for downvotes.

Eila

I don't think it's that big of a deal in this case, because there's a fan translation. But they really should know better.
There are standards, just check other old VNs on steam. The companies know what fans like.
It's a big deal with me when localizations butcher a game and you get told "just get the japanese version you goddamn nerd", so I'm supportive here.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Need independent confirmation before accepting those as fact. Could just be less mature versions of the pricing reviews.

I'm not saying the game isn't broken as I haven't done the necessary research to confirm either way.

Most people have reported that if you have (or had) Darksiders II installed previously, the game picks up your old save file and program settings, causing the new version to crash. A few people have reported either deleting their old files or launching the old version and changing some of the "shadows" options to low then exiting allows the new version to work correctly.

I haven't tried this fix yet personally but it sounds plausible. But it also showcases how low-effort this port was.

I don't think it's that big of a deal in this case, because there's a fan translation. But they really should know better.
There are standards, just check other old VNs on steam. The companies know what fans like.
It's a big deal with me when localizations butcher a game and you get told "just get the japanese version you goddamn nerd", so I'm supportive here.

But the change was done by the original dev. What are SP supposed to do?

Jazz573

Because, in Senjou no Maou's case, GOG users aren't getting uncropped 4:3 pictures.

I suppose it's not as serious as I made it out to be. I guess the whole Darksiders thing got me more upset about this than I would have otherwise. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom