• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

But CS:GO is prime example of the game with microtransactions (and some of them are not micro) and everybody is ok with it. TF2 is same. If they are only for bigger e-pen who cares let people spend their money on stupid things, you will have benefits from that too.

For some reason people are OK with that all Valve games with MT. CSGO, TF2 and DOTA2.

But it is almost the same thing. KF1 DLCs are microtransactions (they are all under 10$ and in some cases under 5$).

DLCs seems to be more acceptable than MT. Even then DLCs are also bullshit if they add nothing but cosmetics to the game

For some reason people are OK with that all Valve games with MT. CSGO, TF2 and DOTA2.

My take is that Valve's very good at integrating microtransactions in an inoffensive way, doing everything they can to push users into the microtransaction ecosystem (and thus pacify them towards the concept). The easiest example of this would be the crate system. They basically make slot machines as much as they make games, with how their crates work.

I'm assuming CSGO works the same. (I've never actually played it.)

Soulflarz

Banned
^this
Microtransaction is a term associated with pointless stuff or unneeded for us, as in shouldn't be in the game
DLC costumes generally er

unless it's dead or alive, there is a limit. Microtransactions have the issue of being neverending.

You buy all the zesteria dlc? Okay, no more DLC to buy. You buy all the microtransactions? They make more for days.

As for why normal DLC is acceptable, it generally adds things to your game. Hi bloodborne.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

MwPw6jE.png

Ozium

the kf2 update is basically crates you have to buy keys for, like csgo

you can sell the crates on the market or open them.. they say they are just skins

also they claim in a future update you will be able to craft skins but they dont say how..

seems like tf2

dex3108

My take is that Valve's very good at integrating microtransactions in an inoffensive way, doing everything they can to push users into the microtransaction ecosystem (and thus pacify them towards the concept). The easiest example of this would be the crate system. They basically make slot machines as much as they make games, with how their crates work.

CSGO system is literally slot machine. You press the button and weapon wheel spins until it stops and you get your skin.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
bought it at launch

Did you actually get it refunded, or simply turned in a request? I don't think I've seen anyone who put in a refund request over the microtransactions get theirs yet, if at all.

I also am having a hard time understanding the outrage over KF2's microtransactions, whereas with Payday 2 I completely understood as they were invasive to gameplay. Adding skins isn't something I mind, boosting stats or EXP/Money gains is not okay.

Did you actually get it refunded, or simply turned in a request? I don't think I've seen anyone who put in a refund request over the microtransactions get theirs yet, if at all.

I also am having a hard time understanding the outrage over KF2's microtransactions, whereas with Payday 2 I completely understood as they were invasive to gameplay. Adding skins isn't something I mind, boosting stats or EXP/Money gains is not okay.

jstu a request

sorry, i'm drunk. shouldh ave clarified

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
jstu a request

sorry, i'm drunk. shouldh ave clarified

All good! Just wanted to see if Valve has actually been granting refund requests during these community backlashes. I can't recall if anyone was able to get their Payday 2 refunded either, and that seemed to have way more players chomping at the bit to give Overkill the finger than this situation at current.

mrgone

But TF2 is free and CS Go is just 12$ or sth like that while KF2 is what? 20 or 25$.

TF2 had crate drops when it was still $20, though. And Killing Floor's always had microtransactions (both cosmetic and not), though not the random crate variety. People are totally entitled to their outrage, but I think some of it is misplaced here due to the Payday stuff.

I'm still willing to give Tripwire the benefit of the doubt, I guess. They've been really good to their playerbase in the past.

I think CS:GO gets a pass because players make money with it, it was around before the Payday stuff, and because players make money with it. Same with the TF2 stuff. If third-parties are able to make their stuff marketable, Tripwire should definitely be pushing for that right now if they're determined to stick with that model.

I think CS:GO gets a pass because players make money with it, it was around before the Payday stuff, and because players make money with it. Same with the TF2 stuff. If third-parties are able to make their stuff marketable, Tripwire should definitely be pushing for that right now if they're determined to stick with that model.

That's a great point. I actually forgot the Steam Marketplace existed for a bit there--don't really use it much, except to sell cards for some pennies.

I mean, Doto and TF2 are completely free and don't require an initial purchase of the game for real money.

Well, people are also okay with microtransactions in The Last of Us.. and any ND's future games, surely. And GTA V, AC games, EA games, etc.
People are okay with microtransactions on top of $60 initial purchase. What should we expect next?

Dr Dogg

Cosmetics or not, microtransactions have shown that it's NOT desired in any game in whatever form in whatever game

Well mobile says very, very different as do the likes of EA's sports games. Certain games and certain communities don't respond well to them and when you look at if with PayDay 2 and KF2 they have been added in after release though so did Destiny and that seemed to have a somewhat different response. It's not quite as cut and shut as some want to make it.

Kaleinc

Banned
TF2 had crate drops when it was still $20, though. And Killing Floor's always had microtransactions (both cosmetic and not), though not the random crate variety. People are totally entitled to their outrage, but I think some of it is misplaced here due to the Payday stuff.

I'm still willing to give Tripwire the benefit of the doubt, I guess. They've been really good to their playerbase in the past.

Valve gets away with a lot of stuff just cause.
I TAPED UP A RIP IN MY CHAIR BUT THE TAPE GOT STUCK TO MY BALLSACK WHEN I SAT D OWN
Don't you wear pants?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
it has to be a price mistake...

Amnesia for $3, it wasn't even significantly discounted yet... like at all
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4950/Amnesia-Memories/

The other IF games are 80% off, so I don't know if it's a price mistake, but the publisher for Amnesia listed on WinGameStore is Retroism. Steam has Idea Factory listed as the publisher on the actual store page. I'm not 100% studied up on A:M's rights but I wonder if something's up there?

EDIT: I guess not, they have Cladun and Fairy Fencer F listed as Retroism as well. Guess it's just some distribution thing.

Hektor

I TAPED UP A RIP IN MY CHAIR BUT THE TAPE GOT STUCK TO MY BALLSACK WHEN I SAT D OWN

The question we all ask ourselves now, why are you posting naked on GAF? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, people are also okay with microtransactions in The Last of Us.. and any ND's future games, surely. And GTA V, AC games, EA games, etc.
People are okay with microtransactions on top of $60 initial purchase. What should we expect next?

Well, people are okay with everything the naughty gods do, because they're the best, most selfless, friendly, smart, cool and progressive industry veterans in the world, so i don't know how good the compairson is, but the other ones had to face similar criticism. It just was probably less vocal due to them beeing more mainstream than PD or KF .

Don't you guys think you are missing the main point about people's acceptance of Dota2/CSGO microtransactions.

Everything is cosmetic only with no stat/gameplay benefits.

Its just bling.

Its when devs start added stat/gameplay changing things to the MT systems that people have a fit, and I totally agree with that.

dex3108

People were and some are still complaining how AC Syndicate is grindy because of MT. That just proves they never played Ezio trilogy where you had to grind way more to do certain things.

Don't you guys think you are missing the main point about people's acceptance of Dota2/CSGO microtransactions.

Everything is cosmetic only with no stat/gameplay benefits.

Its just bling.

Its when devs start added stat/gameplay changing things to the MT systems that people have a fit, and I totally agree with that.

KF2 are/will be cosmetic only items.

People were and some are still complaining how AC Syndicate is grindy because of MT. That just proves they never played Ezio trilogy where you had to grind way more to do certain things.

KF2 are/will be cosmetic only items.

Initially. They said they will introduce weapon drops later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom