• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Who here does not own Half-Life 2 Episode Two, but owns or has played HL2 and HL2 Ep1?

I have an extra copy. Quote this and tell me why you deserve it. And what's the best soda.

Probably going to miss out, haven't looked at any replies but

Episode 2, yeah!
That would compliment Ep 1
Since I've played neither!

It's worth a shot, even if it's in Haiku!

The best soda is all down to personal preference but one of mine is L&P.

=D

*edit*
Now I see it's been given away already, but that's ok. I am happy with winning Ep 1 off you yesterday. :^)

j-wood

Does Crysis ever prompt you to do this?

Me56r.jpg

I rest my case.

You do have a valid point there, that is a once in a game kinda deal lol

Reading that thread though, it sounds like they are targeting users who buy something on sale, then resell it to someone in another country for a profit?

How would they have any idea if someone sold a game for profit? And if that is the reason why then I certainly wouldn't be locked out. There have been many times where due to the person requesting the gift not including the proper amount to cover fees I have actually lost money. At one point in the sale I had lost $2.50. To me it's a trivial amount so I usually don't say anything unless they are short by like a whole dollar. And I know enough people will pay 5 or 10 cents too much that it all balances out in the end.

gdt

Holy shit, the text in Total War Shogun 2 is so small on my tv. Are there any mods out there to help with this?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I. Need. A. Fucking. Xbox. Gamepad.

Just recently bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B6MLTQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Super cheap, works perfectly, and it's a legit MS controller (unlike the crappy knockoffs that don't always register as 360 controllers). Plus, it's Amazon Prime! Beautiful!

If you have any other gamepad you can fool the game into thinking it's a 360 pad using x360ce (Google it!)
This, I did not know. Very cool.

Thanos2001

Neo Member
Reading that thread though, it sounds like they are targeting users who buy something on sale, then resell it to someone in another country for a profit?

I haven't gifted anybody. I have in the past, but just local US and just friends. Plus, what's the point if you can't use the service as intended? Extreme BS!

I really wish someone from Steam would contact me... 1 sale day left... So much to buy....

MRORANGE

Here is a post in the DD thread that says they are blocking gifters and that they will unlock our account if we agree to never gift to anyone outside of the U.S. again. Sorry International GAF, we cant be friends anymore. I can only hope this doesn't result in a breakdown of diplomatic relations that leads to WW3.

Awesome how the global economy is only meant to benefit businesses.

Edit: I have not received any emails yet, nor has customer service responded to my ticket.

That is kinda thread worthy imo.

Shurayuki

How would they have any idea if someone sold a game for profit? And if that is the reason why then I certainly wouldn't be locked out. There have been many times where due to the person requesting the gift not including the proper amount to cover fees I have actually lost money. At one point in the sale I had lost $2.50. To me it's a trivial amount so I usually don't say anything unless they are short by like a whole dollar. And I know enough people will pay 5 or 10 cents too much that it all balances out in the end.

Yeah one reason I never do the whole trading thing (there are so many shitty censored versions, not available games in Germany) is the whole calculating additional percents thing, if we could at least use paypal gifting but no~.

Gen X

Maybe the people they've been gifting to have been sending the 'gifter' Gift cards or something to credit their Steam account. If they track that then it would look dodgy.

I'm only speculating since no concrete proof about transactions has been posted yet.

Salsa

Got Arma II CO and Quantum Conundrum (no season pass) after making a quick deposit before banks closed.

Think im pretty much done

Retne

It kinda bums me out they are cracking down on that. Even though I'm state side that just seems shitty but I guess Valve has to try to protect their profit margins even if it's shitty. :/

On an unrelated note ARMA II: CO is $3 more than I told myself I was willing to spend on it so I think I will ignore it. My back catalog is far too big and I'm not entirely sure DayZ would even be something I would enjoy. Oh well.

Hopefully I can get some Lego action in the flash deals.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Valve has been doing this for a while now, but the blanket assumption that high-volume gifters are selling for profit isn't fair. The net shouldn't be as wide as it is, and, really, Valve should be restricting only the accounts that have Steam chat logs attributed to them wherein the intent to sell for profit can be ascertained.

I want to say that another GAFer found him/herself in this situation last year, and the matter was eventually cleared up after a bit of a back-and-forth with Support, but I can't be certain.

Salsa

"banning" regional gifting is stupid, just fix and have uniform prices around the world for DD first (althought I know that ball isnt on Valve's court).

Amzin

Anyone know if the 3rd Penny Arcade game still comes with Cthulu Saves the World? On the page it says through July 2nd, but... it's still on the page~

j-wood

OH, that seems cool. So it's not in Driver SF then?
I already bought it yesterday though. No regrets.

From what a few people have said no :(. It's why I'm on the fence, but then every time I think that someone posts about how awesome it is.

The best part about that old mode is that the cops would be on you literally the second you spawned. It was insanely fun just trying to get going.

Here is a post in the DD thread that says they are blocking gifters and that they will unlock our account if we agree to never gift to anyone outside of the U.S. again. Sorry International GAF, we cant be friends anymore. I can only hope this doesn't result in a breakdown of diplomatic relations that leads to WW3.

Awesome how the global economy is only meant to benefit businesses.

Edit: I have not received any emails yet, nor has customer service responded to my ticket.
That's really lame. Like... ugh.

Quick question, more of a general PC Gaming question but hoping the sale can help me out: Anything on Steam that is similar to Freelancer?

Getting back into PC Gaming, would like to play something Freelancer-esque, preferably with emphasis on trading rather than combat, but as long as it has a nice balance between the two I'm happy.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
"banning" regional gifting is stupid, just fix and have uniform prices around the world for DD first (althought I know that ball isnt on Valve's court).

It seems like they're only targeting people who have a significant history of gifting overseas. I doubt this will become THAT much of an issue, as long as more and more people step up to occasionally help out their fellow foreigner.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the wired one for my new gaming PC and it is glorious!
Truly Plug and Play.
Yes, that's part of the reason why I want one, Windows detects it right away. This monday I'll see if I can find one (yesterday I couldn't find a single one, and as I don't live in the USA, I don't wanna risk buying it from Amazon and getting it retained at customs).

If you have any other gamepad you can fool the game into thinking it's a 360 pad using x360ce (Google it!)
I know it, and I've got a PS1 DualShock with a USB adaptor, but I don't really like that controller.

Just recently bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B6MLTQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Super cheap, works perfectly, and it's a legit MS controller (unlike the crappy knockoffs that don't always register as 360 controllers). Plus, it's Amazon Prime! Beautiful!
Yeah, it's cheaper than I'll ever find around here, but as I said to Lyonaz, it's an electronics product, so importing it is a gamble I don't wanna take.

Herb

Banned
The thing about the ARMA 2:CO price is that Bohemia has never traditionally done amazing discounts on their games. Even before DayZ ARMA II (before expansions) was still commanding an average new retail PC price. I remember back on Steam's first summer sale ARMA 2 did moderately well during it's daily deal and even then it was maybe 40% off.

So if you think it's going to get cheaper, or that DayZ standalone will be cheap. I believe you're going to be in for a surprise. Though having said that waiting for DayZ standalone would be wise, just so the game is easier to patch and set-up between PCs.

Mikor

Quick question, more of a general PC Gaming question but hoping the sale can help me out: Anything on Steam that is similar to Freelancer?

Getting back into PC Gaming, would like to play something Freelancer-esque, preferably with emphasis on trading rather than combat, but as long as it has a nice balance between the two I'm happy.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6330

It was on a flash sale earlier, so you may want to hold out and see if it shows up again before the end of the sale. Game's quite a bit more complex than Freelancer, but its great.

Probably the closest one to Freelancer is Darkstar One, but if you'd rather focus on trading, then there's the X series and Evochron Mercenary.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The thing about the ARMA 2:CO price is that Bohemia has never traditionally done amazing discounts on their games. Even before DayZ ARMA II (before expansions) was still commanding an average new retail PC price. I remember back on Steam's first summer sale ARMA 2 did moderately well during it's daily deal and even then it was maybe 40% off.

So if you think it's going to get cheaper, or that DayZ standalone will be cheap. I believe you're going to be in for a surprise. Though having said that waiting for DayZ standalone would be wise, just so the game is easier to patch and set-up between PCs.

Looking at the price history graphs over at Steamprices, ARMA 2 has been up to 80% off in the past, while Operation Arrowhead has been up to half off.

Edit: ARMA 2:

ARMA 2: OA:

Shurayuki

I don't think I've ever played Freelancer but you're probably for something like the X series.
It's the deepest, richest, most profoundly confusing space sim complete with fighting in ships the size of an ant up to one's the size of planets and an economy system as deep as a black hole. Every ship in the game you can own and fly, every space station and factory you can build yourself.

You really only need to look at X3: Terran conflict (and maybe the expansion Albion), it's everything the others have and more, and the story is probably bunk anyways.

Bentendo

So is Bohemia going to publish the DayZ standalone game?

Gen X

The Love. I am feeling it today. My first random gift (outside of a birthday present).

3mz42.jpg

Thanks Grim! Put a smile on this gamers dial.

Salsa

It seems like they're only targeting people who have a significant history of gifting overseas. I doubt this will become THAT much of an issue, as long as more and more people step up to occasionally help out their fellow foreigner.

hopefully. I barely interact with people from my region so the collateral for this would be that I could basically never gift anything to anyone, specially on GAF

Koroviev

Can you pay for Steam games directly with PayPal? Because if that's the case, I wouldn't mind pitching in.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The best game on Steam

Someone should gift it to me, I'm in the mood to play a bad game

I would but I'm sending one to Shintoki first, as soon as he accepts my friend requests anyway >_>.

Exuro

They're getting locked out of buying though right? Kind of lame that they can't purchase anything for themselves while the sale is going on.

Mrbob

Think I'm going to pick up The Lost Shards and start playing some more Dungeon Defenders. Is any of that other DLC worth it? So much, head hurts looking at all the different dlc pieces available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom