• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn, Dead Rising 2 is on 75% off? I was really tempted to check this out. Also, my friendly really wants Rage though he doesn't have the money to buy it. Was thinking of being generous.

But those are both $10 games, I kind of wanted to check out Dear Ester, none of these are Arma II and I've already gone $5 over my original budget.

God. Damn. Valve!
Skip Dear Esther, IMO. Get DR2: OTR or be nice and buy a gift
real answer = buy both

DR2 is a great co-op game if you have someone. Great times!

dani_dc

So there's that one time service gesture refund that Steam does and I have it on Two Worlds II because of it's DRM. Should I do it or save it for when I mess something else up really badly?

I seriously doubt that they keep tabs on "one time gestures".
They'll probably just offer it on case-by-case basis, disregarding past offers. Usually companies say "one time" so customers don't expect that type of offers in the future, not because they're literally one time offers.

Genuine curiosity - what don't you like about the game? It's just so damn good.

Everything I hate about it can be summarized by everything I love about it. Freerunning on the rooftops, with nothing keeping me company except the wind, some tiny slivers of music here and there and all the (restricted) freedom in the world was one of those moments when I just felt for sure that videogames can indeed be art. And then they surround you with formulaic "bad guys are shooting at you, GTFO of there!" setpieces over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And remember all those sweet soaring heights among the rooftops? Well, hold on to that precious memory, because now you'll be stuck in monotonous and uninteresting tunnels for hours on end.

It just felt like such a waste... to me, it was like they gave me the tastiest slice of cake I'd have had in a long while, and when I caved and decided to order a whole cake, half of it tasted like foot.

I'm on the fence and I need some help.

Saints Row the Third with a GeForce 9600GT? Will it run smoothly on medium settings with 1680x1050 res?

Should be alright, depending on your cpu, but I have a 440gt, which is about the same as a 9600gt and I run it on mostly high settings and it runs fine.

Fable 3 is actually a good game, I don't get the hate for the game.

I can't understand people saying 2 is good, but 3 is bad. Not a huge difference in anything between the 2, really. Despite the obvious story and main character, gameplay is pretty much identical.

I liked Fable II on Xbox 360. If it came out on Steam, I'd seriously consider buying it again. But I'm not sure if I should get The Lost Chapters. Would you say that it's better than Fable II or worse?

I've seen many people say they liked the first better, but I personally enjoyed Fable II more. But TLC is not far behind. They are both really good and The Lost Chapters for $2.50 is a great deal.

Ok so I have a question regarding Indie BUndles and Buying Entire collections/packs:

I know that you don't get an extra copy to gift normally unless the game mentions it. BUT what happens if I store the games/pack in my inventory? I assume the Indie Bundles store as one giant pack, but what about those "Buy the whole franchies" or "buy the dual pack." If you store THOSE in your gift inventory do they appear as separate items for each game?

XOMTOR

Alrighty, here's an odd one: I voted for Deus Ex since the other 2 have already been on special but after a page refresh, Steam is telling me I voted for Skyrim. I know the voting's been a bit wonky but WTF?

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm a pretty huge Mirror's Edge fan and have it on PS3 already. Is the PC version a big upgrade visually?

LuuKyK

Here are the relevant PCGamingWiki pages of bugs, fixes and workarounds for today's Steam sale:

Some of these articles are incomplete, and many games in the deal don't have article pages yet. If you have the time, please add in new information and fixes you find, no account required.

Came in to ask about what is included in the Age of Empires Collection since the page has no info on Steam lol, but you just answered it anyway. Thanks. :)

Hey if anybody needs help buying Fable 3 before time runs out there still like 45 minutes ...

No no no, I cant do it. We all know nobody wants that piece of shit game : D

So which should I vote for GAf? DX or Skyrim? What does GAF want?

ugh, i wish dead rising 2 was on sale as well, im not that interested in Off The Record, its just a small game compared to the main one right?

Katoki

I seriously doubt that they keep tabs on "one time gestures".
They'll probably just offer it on case-by-case basis, disregarding past offers. Usually companies say "one time" so customers don't expect that type of offers in the future, not because they're literally one time offers.

Not very hard to tag an account with a note though. Also I'm already resigned to the purchase of the game since it's only $10. I basically made it back already this morning sitting around for an hour doing nothing but hitting refresh on this thread.

I did however ATTEMPT to get them to do something about telling people about it on the store page. Most likely not going to happen though.

Smellycat

quick question, if I buy a game that is only available on PC, what happens if it is made available on Macs later on? Do I have to buy it again, or can I download it for free?

ugh, i wish dead rising 2 was on sale as well, im not that interested in Off The Record, its just a small game compared to the main one right?
It's pretty much the same game. Feel free to get it now and get vanilla DR2 when next it's on sale (lol).

Wikipedia Page said:
Off the Record is intended as a complete reimagining of Dead Rising 2, with new missions, cutscenes, environments, enemies, and weapons. The photography mechanic from the first Dead Rising is also included. There are technical and system upgrades, such as optimization of loading times and improved network performance.[5][6] Off the Record also features a new sandbox mode. This allows players to explore Fortune City without the obstacle of time.[7]

LuuKyK

Hey if anybody needs help buying Fable 3 before time runs out there still like 45 minutes ...

No no no, I cant do it. We all know nobody wants that piece of shit game : D

So which should I vote for GAf? DX or Skyrim? What does GAF want?

Deux Ex please.

Edit: wow this thread moves fast. lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
quick question, if I buy a game that is only available on PC, what happens if it is made available on Macs later on? Do I have to buy it again, or can I download it for free?

If it is made available through Steam's Steamworks, you will get it for free.

Steam does not allow people to sell Mac games separately. So in some cases, especially if an external publisher licenses the game to do the mac port, the Mac version is not added to Steam for that reason and you wouldn't get that.

If you buy the Fear pack do you get individual copies?

For example, I have Fear 3.

If I bought the pack and store it in my gift inventory, would I get a copy of Fear 3 to give a friend?

No.

That almost never happens outside of valve games. Always assume they don't. They'll explicitly state if they do.

Edit: Whoops I misread your question. Ignore.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone know if there's a setting I can change so that launching Steam doesn't automatically log me into Steam chat? I absolutely hate being logged into Steam chat.

dani_dc

Not very hard to tag an account with a note though. Also I'm already resigned to the purchase of the game since it's only $10. I basically made it back already this morning sitting around for an hour doing nothing but hitting refresh on this thread.

I did however ATTEMPT to get them to do something about telling people about it on the store page. Most likely not going to happen though.

I don't doubt it would be easy to tag an account, I just don't think they actually do that. It's just an extremely common thing for business to to say to consumers in situations like this.
With that said I understanding prefering not to risk it.

Hopefully they'll add a warning on the page for future buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom