• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying out the giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

PAYDAY The Heist -- MB-FB6228D30F1D98CA - Taken by intheinbetween. 11 entrants total.

t1403767939z1.png

Kadin

I have to say I'm surprised to see Skyrim so high. It definitely deserves to be up there but I didn't think it would. I really need to go back and finish that game. Should only take another 100 hours or so since I constantly get distracted...

That Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass is tempting me, but I can't see myself using the skins or the Challenge Maps (And I've already got the New Millennium Skins pack from Humble). Maybe I'll just get the Cold, Cold Heart DLC, since that's what I'm most interested in.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
How do I get windowed mode in the Blackwell games?

Here you go.

Slippy Maldito said:
Here's some solutions that people have commented in this thread! Thanks guys! :D
Windowed solution:
* Open "winsetup.exe" at the game folder. You can configure it so you can play windowed, but there's no resolution options.
* Otherwise, there's also an alternative way to launch the game in windowed mode: Right click on the game in Steam and go to "Properties". Then click on "Set Launch Options..." and just add -windowed.

Resolution solution:
* You can resize the game window using a program called "Sizer". People say it works great!

That Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass is tempting me, but I can't see myself using the skins or the Challenge Maps (And I've already got the New Millennium Skins pack from Humble). Maybe I'll just get the Cold, Cold Heart DLC, since that's what I'm most interested in.

Thanks for reminding me about that, been wanting to check out Cold, Cold Heart and I can stomach paying $2 for it. Did want to save my wallet for Rocksmith DLC, but hopefully I can grab a few more Mars codes bef-

And I lost again. Goddamnit.

squidyj

witcher 3 is the greatest combination of awesome game with a high price tag that nobody owns yet. I feel like if it isn't the top of your wishlist for the summer sale you're doing it wrong.

Danielsan

Still holding out for Enslaved to turn up on a daily/flash sale, but I'm beginning to suspect that 75% off will be as good as it gets.

Copons

G'morning y'all!

Last night I finished Witcher 2 and, against any expectations, it was a bit of a let down.

First and foremost, the graphics.
I loved TW1 art style and I loved TW2 even more, but for fuck sake, to fully enjoy it you basically need to take a screenshot, becase in movement... eh, it kinda sucks.
I mean, it has huge inconsistency in quality and polish between the art and the tech, if you get what I mean.
Colors, designs, compositions, everything really, are wonderful.
But then you get constant texture pop in, very obvious dithered shadows, bad collisions (even in cutscenes!!), huge "darksoulsesque" DOF blurring even in relatively small (or even closed) areas, and an overall feeling that this game was NOT polished at all, like they got to some point in QA and then just released it for good.

But I'm not a tech bitch, I played turning all details to zero for dozens (like, 1 dozen) of years, so I would still have been fine with it.
If the plot, or better yet, the writing didn't fail so badly in the last chapter.

(SPOILERS ABOUT WITCHER 2 - of course - BUT ABOUT WITCHER 1 TOO)

WARNING #2: I TOOK THE IORVETH PATH, so if you took the Roche path and don't want to know about Iorveth quit reading!

Until Loc Muinne I'd say that everything proceeds smoothly. Maybe the tutorial is a little too "in medias res" and too long, but still. After that, I found the plot intriguing and engaging. I was seriously challenged with moral decisions, and when I picked Iorveth over Roche, I actually needed a couple of hours off to think of all the pros and cons of supporting Scoia'taels instead of Dho'innes.

Vergen is great, even though crossing the battle of the damned 3 times is always a fucking pain in the ass.
But the city of Vergen and all the cliffs around are incredibly well designed, to the point I was actually speechless thinking of how much work (and talent!) they put in that chapter's level design.

So hey, great props to CDPR for being able to create a consistent world AND what is for me the most interesting fantasy setting ever for the second time (and after the sale, when the thread will be quieter, I'm gonna ask you all about Witcher novels).

And then Loc Muinne.
In TW1 the ending arc was full of suspense, a climactic run that spanned from the burn of Vizima to the very end. I don't remember what happened, but I do remember it was kinda frantic.
Loc Muinne instead is a location like any other. You proceed like always, with secondary quests, dice games, arm wrestling and all that stuff. Until you decide it's time to end the game, meet Iorveth and start a long cutscene with the final boss fight in the middle.

And then in the most anticlimactic moment of all, you get a 15 minutes long full fledged explanation of about every mystery you confronted during the game.
And then... they give you the choice to spare Letho. Like, WTF? 30 hours spent trying to find this guy's butt to kick it all day long, and then "eh ok, he explained everything to me, he's such a cool guy".

I spared him because after 15 mins of cutscene and 15 mins of Letho talking at 2AM, I just wanted to end the game asap. (also because it fit better my interpretation of Geralt, but really I didn't care to fight at all)

I don't know anything about TW2 developing history, but it really seemed to me that it all went exceptionally well until some point, where they just stopped refining and polishing the game.
You can see it in how the graphics work, in the ending arc of the game, in the combat system (I've played with the rebalance mod, so I don't know the original one, but I didn't like the rebalance at all), in menus, inventory management.
For fuck sake, even the save system is broken: every save is an almost 1MB file PLUS an almost 1MB bmp image. After a bit I noticed a HUGE slowdown everywhere, until I discovered an almost 1GB saves folder, that was impossible to cloud sync on Steam and, worse, crashed the game every now and then when I opened the load game menu.

So, I guess they REALLY should take their time for their games.
Think about Valve, but with a release date for the third chapter.

Dascu

There haven't been any sales on Killer is Dead, Ikaruga or Strider (other than the failed vote) yet, have there?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mars: War Logs any good, even for that price? Thinking about picking it up but wanna know if it's any good beforehand.

its the good kind of euro jank. of course if you dont apreciate any kind of eurojank, even the good kind is bad

you dig?

JustinBB7

I really need to check my wishlist more, keep forgetting about DLC that I wanted to buy, Metro Last Light season pass only 2,50.

ArynCrinn

Banned
There haven't been any sales on Killer is Dead, Ikaruga or Strider (other than the failed vote) yet, have there?

Ikaruga had a sale of some kind, I think. Maybe a flash? Or was it a Community Vote that lost.

Volgarr and One Finger Death Punch needs a flash/vote sale too!

Ikaruga is still a steal at $5, it's worth every penny even at full price!

its the good kind of euro jank. of course if you dont apreciate any kind of eurojank, even the good kind is bad

you dig?

I dig. Usually with a longer stick though.

aku:jiki

Rogue Legacy is amazingly good at making me nope out of rooms. I'll go in, see five enemies and I'll just instinctively nope the fuck outta there. I find myself doing it constantly and then I have a good chuckle at myself and remind myself that I kinda have to go back in there and fight.

The only time I let myself run away is when I see the other areas you can access. Nope, not even trying to fight that crazy shit! Speaking of, I think my descendents are starting to be decent enough to venture outside of the castle - which is the easiest next area to tackle?

hes back bitches

anime-makai-senki-disgaea-658328.gif
That's supposed to be a dude? I swear animu makes no sense.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Nuked these since no took'em. Edit: The Journey Down: Chapter One - Taken by ArynCrinn. HM - Taken by Toshin. I have no idea why ModBot never updated this post.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Journey Down: Chapter One -- MB-D742E611E0EC5AE6 - Taken by ArynCrinn
Hotline Miami -- MB-07603A7ED4813DA9 - Taken by Toshin

Ezahn

Don't tell me Transistor already got a flash sale or anything.
I need it badly and didn't see it coming if it did.

_hekk05

Banned
Ikaruga had a sale of some kind, I think. Maybe a flash? Or was it a Community Vote that lost.

Volgarr and One Finger Death Punch needs a flash/vote sale too!

Ikaruga is still a steal at $5, it's worth every penny even at full price!

I dig. Usually with a longer stick though.

Ikaruga hasn't had a daily or flash yet. One finger death punch lost a community vote. Not sure about volgarr

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I believe it was a daily or flash sale. Only 33% off at most.

no, it lost a vote, and it was going to be 25%

dont take this personally, as its not about you per se, but this is about the time in the sale where people start saying games were on sale already when they werent. happens every year :)

Tnx but ouch!
(both for the discount and it being gone - I still hope it returns soon, I'll gladly support Supergiant Games)

and then it spreads :)

again, dont take it personally, just using you as a recent example.

Has anyone here played Eador: Masters of the Broken World? I'm eying its Humble Weekly Presence and really considering it, but want to know how it is. I heard it was rocky at the start, but it seems like the kind of game the developer would probably patch to greatness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom