• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

Neiteio

The game is fun, but why did it put me, alone, against 3 players as the first online match? Not impressed
Erm, that's not supposed to happen. Are you sure your teammates weren't just somewhere else on the map? The map is huge, and it might've just been how things worked out that three enemies converged on you in short order.

CoLaN

Erm, that's not supposed to happen. Are you sure your teammates weren't just somewhere else on the map? The map is huge, and it might've just been how things worked out that three enemies converged on you in short order.

In the pre-match lobby i have seen 3 blue players, and i was the only red listed

moolamb

Alright! I did it. I purchased the premium.

This game came out of nowhere and I fell in love with it. It's good and deserves my money.

No to decide which juicy new sub I'm gonna use. : )

I've decided to join the club if/when I can connect to nintendo servers and stay connected consistently. It's a ridiculously fun game but disconnecting every one or two matches, or waiting an hour to play the game is not cool.

The game is fun, but why did it put me, alone, against 3 players as the first online match? Not impressed

I believe you also get a whole bunch of extra health, so it's not too bad. Find a hiding spot and attack when they split up. It's fun being the shark.

AmyS

Two things I noticed:

In the eShop for the Steel Diver Sub Wars, under More Details scroll down to the very bottom, there's an option to Repair Software, and if you do, it asks
"Do you want to check whether this software needs to be repaired?"

Once you do the check, even if no problems are detected, you can initiate repair process anyway and re-download any additional content at no cost.

I haven't done this yet and I don't know if this is something standard for all or some eShop games, or it's just for Sub Wars, or what..

Also, more interestingly, on the Miiverse Community, something about an update for the free version, supposedly, "in session now". True or not, I'm not sure what, if anything, is being done.

So I have no clue about either of these things, but, fingers crossed and here's hoping the server issues will be fixed in short order.

Just a guess here, but perhaps Sub Wars is gaining in popularity rather quickly and Nintendo wasn't expecting this, or prepared for it.

All I do know for certain is, I very much want Sub Wars to be a real success for Nintendo :)

Neiteio

All I do know for certain is, I very much want Sub Wars to be a real success for Nintendo :)
Yes, for sure. This game is ridiculously addictive. And every four or five matches I unlock something new, which leads to me trying new subs, with new patterns, new colors and new crew. Which then leads to another four or five matches where I "test it out." And so on. :)

Camjo-Z

Also, more interestingly, on the Miiverse Community, something about an update for the free version, supposedly, "in session now". True or not, I'm not sure what, if anything, is being done.

If you're talking about the guy I think you're talking about, I'm pretty sure he's just some random dude with no clue about any updates. I definitely hope they fix the server issues soon though, I'd definitely have a much higher level/win streak if I wasn't disconnecting between matches.

AmyS

This was just posted:

WIFI ISSUES FIXED

Hope so^

EDIT:

If you're talking about the guy I think you're talking about, I'm pretty sure he's just some random dude with no clue about any updates. I definitely hope they fix the server issues soon though, I'd definitely have a much higher level/win streak if I wasn't disconnecting between matches.

Damn,

Elija2

I was just in an online match but I got disconnected. I tried reconnecting and I got an error saying the servers are currently under maintenance. So maybe they are fixing the servers? I'm kinda upset because a teammate had picked up a crewmate in the match I was in but it didn't save when I got disconnected.

I was just in an online match but I got disconnected. I tried reconnecting and I got an error saying the servers are currently under maintenance. So maybe they are fixing the servers? I'm kinda upset because a teammate had picked up a crewmate in the match I was in but it didn't save when I got disconnected.

Indeed, all subsequent attempts to reconnect now give Error Code 006-0811, with a description saying that the servers are undergoing maintenance. Sounds like encouraging news to me!

Gsnap

I hope they get the online working better. I never get disconnected from a match, but I almost always get kicked out to the menu between matches, so I've never been able to get a good win streak.

Neiteio

Ah man, I was looking forward to playing this tonight. I was just about to log on...

Any estimates on how long server maintenance will take?

Just tried out the demo and picked up the full version. Very fun so far!
I...I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong though. I've been able to unlock that first battleship (It's..blue. I forgot what its called) but I'm still having trouble with that....um..6th mission. Whichever one it has you go through the areas and the next is blocked off by the gates.

Should I just go back to the first levels and try to earn the Star medals to get more ships? Is there some way to upgrade the ships that I'm not aware of?

Also, is it random when and who you find crew-wise when you're doing missions?

Ah man, I was looking forward to playing this tonight. I was just about to log on...

Any estimates on how long server maintenance will take?

I don't even know of an announcement that the server maintenance is happening, let alone its projected duration.

Edit: The maintenance is done.

Neiteio

Just tried out the demo and picked up the full version. Very fun so far!
I...I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong though. I've been able to unlock that first battleship (It's..blue. I forgot what its called) but I'm still having trouble with that....um..6th mission. Whichever one it has you go through the areas and the next is blocked off by the gates.

Should I just go back to the first levels and try to earn the Star medals to get more ships? Is there some way to upgrade the ships that I'm not aware of?

Also, is it random when and who you find crew-wise when you're doing missions?
I can't answer your first few questions, because I'm not at the sixth mission yet. However, regarding crew members, they're indicated by a purple dot on your sonar, and yes, they appear at random, both in single-player and multiplayer. They'll be floating on the surface.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
After reading this I am looking forward to going home and trying this for myself. The only question is which of the kids I am going to steal their DS from.

watershed

Banned
I bought the premium version and am enjoying the challenge of the single player so far. Multiplayer ia still the bread and butter though. Ranking up sink points is great.

AmyS

So the servers are (or were) actually indeed undergoing maintenance ?

I had been staying at a friend's house since the game came out. Just got home to my own faster/better internet connection. Hopefully things are getting better.

Neiteio

Ran into Moolamb in a random match, lol. Also, I just got the crew member who can show allies on the map -- this is extremely useful, since I can tell by process of a elimination which squares on the map contain enemies.

Zebra

I just fought against two subs on my own, and I think I won because one of them mistook their own teammate for me and shot them down. :lol

Really enjoying this so far. For such a slow moving game, things can get intense.

Is anybody else experiencing a lot of lag? The last couple matches enemy subs have been jumping around all over the place.

Had the same happen to me, but only for one match.

AmyS

GAF, why is it whenever I see artwork for Steel Diver games...

UnHJ1e4.jpg

zqUHOiO.jpg

....I'm like instantly reminded of Irem's slow-paced scrolling sub-themed shmup Kaitei Daisensou...

Better-known as In The Hunt in the western world.

iwIQE4n.jpg

h5VjcyP.jpg

It happens to me every single time I see Steel Diver art!

Wonder if the artists at Vitei Inc. and Nintendo are somehow familiar with with Kaitei Daisensou. Nah...Pretty much doubt that, but who knows right?

Reknoc

Had my first online match the other day. Being on the red team is like a deathwish. Watched one guy conditioned through years of MP games telling you to kill the red guys TK p.much everyone.

why is it always a bunny that tries to sell you DLC in Nintendo eshop games?

I see a pattern here!

But peppy's a hare. :eek:

GAF, why is it whenever I see artwork for Steel Diver games...

UnHJ1e4.jpg

zqUHOiO.jpg

....I'm like instantly reminded of Irem's slow-paced scrolling sub-themed shmup Kaitei Daisensou...

Better-known as In The Hunt in the western world.

iwIQE4n.jpg

h5VjcyP.jpg

It happens to me every single time I see Steel Diver art!

Wonder if the artists at Vitei Inc. and Nintendo are somehow familiar with with Kaitei Daisensou. Nah...Pretty much doubt that, but who knows right?

Maybe my favorite "horizontal" shmup ever... Still amazing in motion and lots of fun.

E-phonk

Banned
Just chiming in to say I really enjoyed the few matches I played. Might buy the premium version just to support it.

Also, fu for those who talked about a multiplayer star fox battle game in the same vein. Now I want this.

moolamb

Ran into Moolamb in a random match, lol. Also, I just got the crew member who can show allies on the map -- this is extremely useful, since I can tell by process of a elimination which squares on the map contain enemies.

Haha, I had warm fuzzies when I saw you morse-screaming out my name. Good fun, we destroyed them blues.

Top Bottom