• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

mihon

By the way, regarding the stat bonuses. You cannot make them go beyond 10. I just tested with the Dive/Surface stat. It capped at 10. So no subs with 12 health :). Most likely, the game logic doesn't even expect values greater than 10.

moolamb

That was a really entertaining lead. 25 year old captain, basically sinks the enemy sub by using the force.

My favourite part:

Launders set about the task, making one risky but calculated decision: he decided to switch off Venturer's ASDIC. They would rely solely on Venturer's hydrophone, a common and long-used, though far less sophisticated underwater acoustic detection device than ASDIC, to try to detect U-864 along the course that the Enigma-encoded traffic suggested.

ASDIC is an active echo location system; it can quickly provide enough data on range and course for a target's speed and bearing to be calculated, and a firing solution for a weapon to be arrived at, even against a vessel taking evasive action. However – the ping given off can be heard by the target as well, it can also be heard much further away than the returned echo that indicated a target. Hydrophones are passive devices, very sensitive underwater microphones that an operator can use to tell where a noise is coming from; working out distance and speed are much more difficult, especially if a vessel takes evasive action. In using hydrophones, the hunting vessel has to move quite slowly so as not to mask out any external noises by its own sounds. Launders' choice was to hide and see if he could hear the U-Boat in the area. His plan was to listen for the German vessel and stalk her rather than risk alerting the enemy craft, although it would improve his chances of detecting her.

Yep, sounds like Sub Wars alright...

Now if only my Blue Shark could carry more than two crew members, lol

Also my sub of choice. BEWARE OF SHARKS...

I did some tests and I think I know how the whole crew thing works in Single Player.

First, most crew members can possibly appear in 2 levels. Their appearence is totally random and it's not related to the mission level. Either a crew member appears or nobody appears. There are actually 3 crew members from single player that increase health: Brute A, B and C.

Brute A can be found in level 1 (area where the last ring is) or 2 (starting area). It's easier to find him in level 2. The fastest way to find him is to load level 2 and immediately activate the sonar. If a purple dot appears, go get the guy. It might be Brute A or not. If no purple dot appears, press start and restar the level. Do this until purple dot appears. After you get the crew member, you need to complete the mission.

Brute B can be found in mission 3 (radar base area) or 5 (starting area). Again, its easier to do in mission 5. Repeat the same process you did for Brute A.

Brute C can be found only in mission 7. Do the same process you did for the other Brutes.

Remember, it's totally random which crew member will appear and if it will appear at all. Be prepared to farm a lot :).
Thanks for the strategy guide! I was spending quite a while looking all over the place in Mission 2, until I read this. And yeah, you're right, their appearances are random.

By the way, regarding the stat bonuses. You cannot make them go beyond 10. I just tested with the Dive/Surface stat. It capped at 10. So no subs with 12 health :). Most likely, the game logic doesn't even expect values greater than 10.

Also thanks for this! This makes the farming useless, seeing as I only intend to use them on a sub with 9 health, and I already have Brute D!

Also, has anyone else noticed that Torpedo Ace C is an Internet Mode crew member that does have a stat tradeoff? (+2 torpedo count, submerged speed -1)

mihon

Also, has anyone else noticed that Torpedo Ace C is an Internet Mode crew member that does have a stat tradeoff? (+2 torpedo count, submerged speed -1)

Yes, I noticed that too. But the even stranger thing is that Torpedo Ace A gives +1 torpedo count and -1 dive-surface. OK... but then Torpedo Ace B (which is a single player crew) gives + 2 torpedo count and -1 Health, the same type of tradeoff as the internet mode guy. Bizarre.

Gsnap

Yeah. I guess they feel 2 free torpedoes is too good? But then, Torpedo Ace A only gives you one torpedo, but still has a - in dive/surface.

Who knows.

Neiteio

Yes, I noticed that too. But the even stranger thing is that Torpedo Ace A gives +1 torpedo count and -1 dive-surface. OK... but then Torpedo Ace B (which is a single player crew) gives + 2 torpedo count and -1 Health, the same type of tradeoff as the internet mode guy. Bizarre.
Must be that way because you can only have one of each crew member. Some crew members will have the same buffs/nerfs so that you can specialize. In this case, if all you wanted was firepower but didn't care about durability, you could equip both Torpedo Ace B and C.

Okay, you guys convinced me to give this game a try. It is as fun as it is addicting. Where do we need to send our hopes for a Wii U version?

Gsnap

Just got star medals on all 3 levels of the morse code mission.

It is SOOO much fun for me. I've already got a few letters memorized, and many of them I can quickly glance down and tap it out without missing a beat. I really want to keep practicing this and be able to communicate efficiently in multiplayer.

Neiteio

Just got star medals on all 3 levels of the morse code mission.

It is SOOO much fun for me. I've already got a few letters memorized, and many of them I can quickly glance down and tap it out without missing a beat. I really want to keep practicing this and be able to communicate efficiently in multiplayer.
I'm able to write "SHIET" in Morse code without looking at the alphabet.

3 dots
4 dots
2 dots
1 dot
1 dash

Gsnap

Finally able to play a few matches in the hot springs. That's a really good map. The layout is cool. You know where the enemy is immediately, but getting to them puts you at risk.

Neiteio

Finally able to play a few matches in the hot springs. That's a really good map. The layout is cool. You know where the enemy is immediately, but getting to them puts you at risk.
Yeah, the Hot Springs map has cool music and a strong sense of place, as well. You have the snowy rocks, the steamy water, the bathhouse and picket fence, and all of the flat stones forming natural hiding places in the water. And like you say, you know right away where to find the enemy... It's just a matter of whether you'll go to them, or if they'll come to you. :)

mihon

So I was farming the remaining crew members in Mission 7 and then... 2 crew member apppeared at the same time! This game manages to keep surprising me...

Btw the crew members from this mission are the most funny and bizarre in appearence.
They also have some funny quotes:

Torpedo Ace B: "Homing torpedoes are for cheats. Real submariners use only normal torpedoes". Do you hear that guys? lol

Sea Dog C: "Nautical miles are useful for sea navigation. One nautical mile is about 6,076 ft". The more you know...

By the way, anyone got crew member number 21, Clairvoyant? The description is kinda mysterious: "Increase Name Visibility". Maybe it increases the size of the font of players in multiplayer?

Gsnap

Overall I think the only map I don't like is the swimming pool. No hiding places. Essentially all out war from the very beginning. The fish tank is similar, but it has more stuff in it and isn't just open water.

They're still nice sometimes due to their change of pace. But I enjoy the other maps more. Sunken ruins is cool. Hot Springs is cool. Stone something.. whatever it's called is cool. Caverns is cool.

Honestly surprisingly good maps over all.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My only complaint is all the drops between matches. It is really ruining any chance of creating a streak. Without it leveling up is a bitch.

Neiteio

My only complaint is all the drops between matches. It is really ruining any chance of creating a streak. Without it leveling up is a bitch.
Yeah, this is my only complaint, as well. I've won enough consecutive matches that, were it not for the disconnect between matches, I would be a much higher level now.

This game is so much fun. I have a difficult time putting it down once I get started.

By the way, anyone got crew member number 21, Clairvoyant? The description is kinda mysterious: "Increase Name Visibility". Maybe it increases the size of the font of players in multiplayer?

This is just a wild guess, but maybe this crew member makes it so that you don't need to keep pinging your sonar to see the names above enemy submarines at medium range?

Skiesofwonder

Yeah, this is my only complaint, as well. I've won enough consecutive matches that, were it not for the disconnect between matches, I would be a much higher level now.

This game is so much fun. I have a difficult time putting it down once I get started.

Yeah me as well. I find myself playing for hours at a time. It's been awhile since an online multiplayer game has hooked me this much. Btw what are some of your scree names? Mine is Colin, LVL. 13.

Hale-XF11

Yeah, I'd easily be over level 30 by now and have a 12 on the side of my ship if it wasn't for all the disconnects.

I miss Peppy. Also, the remix of the main theme from the original game only played when Peppy was around. I miss that too. Tried to find a recording of it on youtube, but no such luck. Hopefully somebody rips it soon.

mihon

This is just a wild guess, but maybe this crew member makes it so that you don't need to keep pinging your sonar to see the names above enemy submarines at medium range?

I'm thinking it may be something like this. It's the only crew member I'm missing now.

They should have put Peppy as a secret crew member or something. I also miss him.

Skiesofwonder

I just sunk two teammates of mine trying to sabotage us, and then like a boss us two subs left took down three subs before finally being sent to the bottom of the sea. That moment when we both turned towards the pack of four and just went full throttle, knowing defeat was most undoubtedly at hand was pretty darn badass.

Camjo-Z

I'm thinking it may be something like this. It's the only crew member I'm missing now.

They should have put Peppy as a secret crew member or something. I also miss him.

I'm surprised there isn't a crew member or sub that references another Nintendo game, even the first Steel Diver had the Mario stamp.

mihon

I'm surprised there isn't a crew member or sub that references another Nintendo game, even the first Steel Diver had the Mario stamp.

Maybe they will release some stuff later as DLC... who knows... Great Fox Sub anyone?

Regarding the last crew member, I just got it. All crew member rescued! That was tiresome...

I tested the Claivoryant guy and didn't notice a significant difference. Will test more to see if I find what exactly he does.

Neiteio

I just sunk two teammates of mine trying to sabotage us, and then like a boss us two subs left took down three subs before finally being sent to the bottom of the sea. That moment when we both turned towards the pack of four and just went full throttle, knowing defeat was most undoubtedly at hand was pretty darn badass.
That sounds like the end of Pacific Rim (and no, that's not a spoiler, lol)

Hey, that's what they should add to this game -- kaiju!

Yeah me as well. I find myself playing for hours at a time. It's been awhile since an online multiplayer game has hooked me this much. Btw what are some of your scree names? Mine is Colin, LVL. 13.

Shannon, now in the Level 20's. If you see someone in an I-400 class named "Shannon" in worldwide random battles, that's me.

Neiteio

I go by "Neiteio." I'm around lv. 20, piloting a Blue Shark with an American flag pattern (Pattern 16 -- blue bow, with red and white stripes on the sides).

Elija2

Does your sub move faster when it's surfaced or is it the same as the submerged speed (assuming both speed stats are equal)?

Gsnap

How much faster are you while surfaced? Like is a 10 in submerged speed equal to a 1 in surfaced speed?

Not much. I have a sub with an 8 in both speeds. You go fast either way.

But being surfaced is generally bad. Even with the small speed bump.

dwuuuu

Banned
I think the circle pad is god-ly with this game !

The resistence of the circle pad plus the responsiveness of the controls pretty much nails that immersive feeling of piloting a huge submarine with weight.

Skiesofwonder

Who will be the first to unlock the Big Walrus? I really want to see what it looks like. Its silhouette is so cool!

Wouldn't be surprised if it is already lurking somewhere, probably in the eastern hemisphere.

Saw a level 36 player earlier. Kind of ridiculous to see anyone that high up already. I wonder what the cap is.

It really is. I was feeling pretty good about my 24W 17L record with sinking twice as many subs as the times I've been sunked, but then I view the combat record of some level 35 dude with 219W 39L and an average of five sunk subs per death.... *sigh* gotta work on my handling!

Gsnap

Yeah, I have no idea how some people just come into a game like this and start being amazing right away. My win loss ratio is almost 50% and I can't get consistent win streaks to level up quickly.

dwuuuu

Banned
Really disapointed ranked matches no longer delivers 8 players consistently anymore now that i'm at lvl 15

Such a shame !

Wish there was a way you could wait untill there was all 8 players available

Neiteio

Really disapointed ranked matches no longer delivers 8 players consistently anymore now that i'm at lvl 15

Such a shame !

Just stick to Worldwide matches -- the lobbies always fill up quick there. Lately there have been a lot of lv. 15-20 players in randoms Worldwide, and those lv. 10 and under are decently skilled.

Zips

A fun little game.

So far managed to have a bit over a 4:1 kills to deaths ratio (40-something to 10). Haven't yet managed to take down a whole team on my own after my team has managed to get themselves slaughtered, but have had a couple tense fights where I got three out of four of the enemy.

One-on-one fights can be pretty tense too, such as the time a guy managed to surprise me by masking just before coming around a corner and 'de-cloaking' to fire right in front of me, leading to a masking battle.

Right now around level 14. Name is in Japanese text though since I used the Mario mii I downloaded once.

I want that repair on surface crew member...

watershed

Banned

Such a shame !

I'm at level 15 also and have never not had a full lobby. Play online, worldwide, match skill, done.

Top Bottom