• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

CPUs give you points for damage (but not sinking), and it doesn't sound like you're getting win streaks in the random matches, either.

Huh, I didn't notice that, I thought those damage points were coming from hits on regular players in those matches. In that case then....
*tries something*
...yup. You can farm the enemy supply ship for something like 160 points a battle fairly easily. Well, assuming you're close enough to it at the beginning that you can do so without making yourself a big target, or harming your own team's chances at winning.

Hale-XF11

It's like grinding rails in skateboarding, only the railing is a nuclear submarine and the skateboarder is also a nuclear submarine.

Imagine if they had that event at the next X-games!

I'm starting to question your sanity, dude. :p

I'm so sorry to whoever was on my team last night. It was 3am, on my last legs of consciousness and I had been playing as red for a streak and so I was conditioned to shoot at blue. I sunk two of my teammates. I admit it, I am sorry.

But if you stuck around I also sunk the other 4 enemies too...

lol, I can't lie, the same sorta thing happened to me at like 2am after playing for a good couple of hours or so. I even apologized out loud, but was too tired to realize that they couldn't actually hear me. :(

Nintendo, please gave us a way to invite friends, leaderboards(daily, weekly, monthly) and even clan battles. If this game had these features this was make this so much better.

All of this. While we're at it, I want more DLC in the form of single player missions, subs, patterns and multiplayer maps. Just more of everything.

Huh, I didn't notice that, I thought those damage points were coming from hits on regular players in those matches. In that case then....
*tries something*
...yup. You can farm the enemy supply ship for something like 160 points a battle fairly easily. Well, assuming you're close enough to it at the beginning that you can do so without making yourself a big target, or harming your own team's chances at winning.

I farm the hell out of supply ships when I can. Gotta make up for all those connection errors I keep getting.

dwuuuu

Banned
Nintendo, please gave us a way to invite friends, leaderboards(daily, weekly, monthly) and even clan battles. If this game had these features this was make this so much better.

no, it wouldn't work

Steel Diver is more of a quick pick me-up 5 minute game

Honestly, it's fine just the way it is with 8 player online multiplayer, win streaks and stat tracking of your last one hundred opponents.

The more modes you add, the bigger it splits the player pool. Already ranked matches become pointless beyond lv 15.

What's the power difference between the starter sub and the highest level sub with crew members and all that? In other words, how much does character/account progression factor strategically?

The main difference is that the crew member combinations in the later subs allow you to be highly specialized. When it comes to being all-purpose, nothing beats the starter sub. Meanwhile, the later subs more often than not end up with certain traits where the starter submarine is actually better (For example, the Super Cod, level 31 submarine specializing in health, has a turn rate of something like 2, while the starter sub has 4).

I wish it was easy to invite friends to play in ANY Nintendo online game. I don't even get what the point of having a friends list is sometimes for their systems.

Exile20

no, it wouldn't work

Steel Diver is more of a quick pick me-up 5 minute game

Honestly, it's fine just the way it is with 8 player online multiplayer, win streaks and stat tracking of your last one hundred opponents.

The more modes you add, the bigger it splits the player pool. Already ranked matches become pointless beyond lv 15.

How so? inviting friends just means that you invite friends to you own team and play other randoms or other parties. I am not sure how this splits the userbase, They are all in the same pool of players

Leaderboard is just that, just leaderboard.

Clan battles might split the userbase but it will add a sense of community and stop clans(which are usually way higher levels) from playing lower level players.

I just played through the tutorial last night. The morse code is a very cool idea! Remember the news story about the little boy who saved his sister from a moose thanks to playing WoW? Expect a similar news story about this.

Arkam

How so? inviting friends just means that you invite friends to you own team and play other randoms or other parties. I am not sure how this splits the userbase, They are all in the same pool of players

Leaderboard is just that, just leaderboard.

Clan battles might split the userbase but it will add a sense of community and stop clans(which are usually way higher levels) from playing lower level players.

I would like be able to access a contact list(s), send them invites and form a party to keep us on the same team in online matches. . And I would like to have some basic leaderboards. Though I agree that player pool can quickly get diluted when introducing new features. Maybe to keep it one pool, only allow friends to pair up in groups of two(2) for playing online. Then add a rule in matchmaking that doesnt allow for 2 pairs vs 4randoms for balancing. Pairs that are added to a match are added to red then blue team. Once a team has a pair it cannot add another until the opponent has the same amount of pairs. (with time out overide probably)

You could still have clans and clan battles with limiting parties to pairs. Make clans a full system like a guild in an mmorpg instead of just a text tag before your handle. Much lighter of course, but same idea where your charcter/user/account/whatever is marked as a member. With that, anytime two clan members paired they would earn clan points in addition to normal user pts (maybe just for leaderboard? idk). Clans can then compete to top the leaderboards by simply playing in pairs together. Leaderboards get reset semi-regularly and clan on top get reward.

Now when a match has clan pair, from different clan on each team, it becomes a Ranked Clan match for those in clans. For non clan members it would be treated like any other online match.

Pretty much gives you most of the hardcore/stat driven features while not reducing the user pool or impacting the experience of the casuals. Maybe we will see some of this in a sequel at some point.

*Sorry if thats poorly explained. Its late

mihon

So what are everyone's favorite maps?

Mine are the Stone Pillar and Sunken Ruins. Lots of obstacles to hide and play mindgames.

The worst are probably the Underwater Base and Swimming Pool. Matches in these maps tend to turn in confusing slugfests. Underwater base you can at least do some shenanigans by going in the spaces under the base, but Swimming pool... Not much going on in the map.

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but the base sub has 4/10 in every stat (I.E. 4 Turn Rate, 4 Surface Speed, 4 Submerged Speed, etc), while the lv. 40+ subs can average around 6-7/10 in each stat, and the starter sub can carry two crew members, but the lv. 40+ subs can carry five crew members. Each crew member adds a passive bonus, like "+1 Health" or "See allies on map," so a lv. 40 sub with five crew could be something indeed. But even then, no one's invincible -- there were reports here on GAF of lv. 20 subs sinking lv. 40 subs. You don't get stronger by leveling; you just gain access to stronger subs.
Not only do crew members add a bonus to one stat, they also tend to decrease another stat in return. Having more crew members is not necessarily an advantage, it just means you're going to move stats around as you prefer.

Of course certain stats are probably more important than others, but I haven't gotten to the point where I could say for sure.

dwuuuu

Banned

Mine are the Stone Pillar and Sunken Ruins. Lots of obstacles to hide and play mindgames.

The worst are probably the Underwater Base and Swimming Pool. Matches in these maps tend to turn in confusing slugfests. Underwater base you can at least do some shenanigans by going in the spaces under the base, but Swimming pool... Not much going on in the map.

Underwater base by far !

Everyone starts of in 8 way and it cultimates into the center of sunken oil station !

Really, smart great level design yet so simple.

Neiteio

Not only do crew members add a bonus to one stat, they also tend to decrease another stat in return. Having more crew members is not necessarily an advantage, it just means you're going to move stats around as you prefer.

Of course certain stats are probably more important than others, but I haven't gotten to the point where I could say for sure.
The crew members you get in multiplayer only increase stats. But yeah, if you want to really invest in a specific stat, you'll have to use the single-player crew, as well, and those ones will decrease other stats.

Hale-XF11

Just a heads up reminder. The 10 point Club Nintendo follow up survey is available today for those that registered the game on day one.

Exile20

I would like be able to access a contact list(s), send them invites and form a party to keep us on the same team in online matches. . And I would like to have some basic leaderboards. Though I agree that player pool can quickly get diluted when introducing new features. Maybe to keep it one pool, only allow friends to pair up in groups of two(2) for playing online. Then add a rule in matchmaking that doesnt allow for 2 pairs vs 4randoms for balancing. Pairs that are added to a match are added to red then blue team. Once a team has a pair it cannot add another until the opponent has the same amount of pairs. (with time out overide probably)

You could still have clans and clan battles with limiting parties to pairs. Make clans a full system like a guild in an mmorpg instead of just a text tag before your handle. Much lighter of course, but same idea where your charcter/user/account/whatever is marked as a member. With that, anytime two clan members paired they would earn clan points in addition to normal user pts (maybe just for leaderboard? idk). Clans can then compete to top the leaderboards by simply playing in pairs together. Leaderboards get reset semi-regularly and clan on top get reward.

Now when a match has clan pair, from different clan on each team, it becomes a Ranked Clan match for those in clans. For non clan members it would be treated like any other online match.

Pretty much gives you most of the hardcore/stat driven features while not reducing the user pool or impacting the experience of the casuals. Maybe we will see some of this in a sequel at some point.

*Sorry if thats poorly explained. Its late

Those are some good ideals, I tweeted my same post to @giles and he Favorited and retweeted my tweet. Not sure what that means but I hope they plan to expand this game.

catmario

Online multiplay is great.

This game is First Person Shooter, and I waited for this genre in 3DS.

But... each online match is too short.. :(

Can someone who unlocked all of the crew members give me tips on finding Gunslinger B? The one that's said to be in the third canal in Mission 6 or the surface of Mission 7? I've been trying to so much as get that crew member to spawn for hours now! I've gotten stars on all three difficulties in Mission 6 I've been at it for so long, and have been resetting the first two levels of Mission 7 like a madman! The game's giving me the Spy when I already have that crew member, but I haven't so much as seen Gunslinger B! Any tips?

Edit: Nevermind, after all of this resetting Mission 7 Level 1, I finally managed to at least get Gunslinger B to spawn!

I really like fishbowl as it does have some hiding spots but it is not so huge as to be looking for someone then get outnumbered. It is also fun to look at graphically.

Definitely really enjoying this game. Surprisingly scratches that competitive FPS itch though I feel I am only just at the surface when it comes to strategy - the replays really help to see how good players do it. Saw a lvl41 take on 3 ships at once, though granted one of them was shooting the other in the back :/

Nintendo really did this in a clever manner. SInce it is slow-paced connection issues and pings are not as huge an issue in more faced paced "shooters" and it makes it a blessing that there are only a few ships out at a a time (keeping player counts low as well). Would be nice to see some sort of friends play and less disconnects but regardless really enjoyable - all should try it!

Neiteio

Got that Gun Slinger! 2-second reload time with 10 torpedoes, here I am!
Two seconds to reload 10 torpedoes...

tumblr_m5pho1y7at1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Two seconds to reload 10 torpedoes...

tumblr_m5pho1y7at1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Yeah, my DPM (as opposed to DPS) is leaving me capable of 1v1ing enemy submarines in their spawns at the start of the match, healing myself with the powerups they drop, and then move on to my next target!

I am a submachine submarine, not to mention an exp-earning machine, given that you get points for dealing damage and sinking enemies. In one match, I single-handedly sank an enemy sub at the start of the match, went on to singlehandedly sink the enemy supply ship in a minute or two, and then moved on as the last person remaining on my team to kill off two battle-weakened enemy subs (which I ended up engaging simultaneously) to win the match. I got 400 experience points, without a multiplier!

Neiteio

Yeah, my DPM (as opposed to DPS) is leaving me capable of 1v1ing enemy submarines in their spawns at the start of the match, healing myself with the powerups they drop, and then move on to my next target!

I am a submachine submarine, not to mention an exp-earning machine, given that you get points for dealing damage and sinking enemies. In one match, I single-handedly sank an enemy sub at the start of the match, went on to singlehandedly sink the enemy supply ship in a minute or two, and then moved on as the last person remaining on my team to kill off two battle-weakened enemy subs (which I ended up engaging simultaneously) to win the match. I got 400 experience points, without a multiplier!
Man, that sounds like fun. I'm a couple levels away from unlocking your sub... but it'll be awhile before I have the necessary crew members. Something to work toward! I definitely want to try out that build. :)

Man, that sounds like fun. I'm a couple levels away from unlocking your sub... but it'll be awhile before I have the necessary crew members. Something to work toward! I definitely want to try out that build. :)

You can replicate it on any 3-crew sub with a 5-second reload time, you just get fewer torpedoes per set (and you need to collect the crew members).

Neiteio

You can replicate it on any 3-crew sub with a 5-second reload time, you just get fewer torpedoes per set (and you need to collect the crew members).
That's true... I just want to try it out. :) Chances are I'll still go back to my mid-range sub (Blue Shark) just because I love nailing targets from halfway across the ocean. The cymbal crash sound effect when you hit a target long-distance... It's addictive!

It took me so long to reply because I was trying to recall a specific example, but I like maps where I like the music. I especially like the music for Underwater Base, for example.

Speaking of good music from this game, there's a disappointing lack of this game's title screen/main menu music on Youtube!

Zarovitch

Can someone who unlocked all of the crew members give me tips on finding Gunslinger B? The one that's said to be in the third canal in Mission 6 or the surface of Mission 7? I've been trying to so much as get that crew member to spawn for hours now! I've gotten stars on all three difficulties in Mission 6 I've been at it for so long, and have been resetting the first two levels of Mission 7 like a madman! The game's giving me the Spy when I already have that crew member, but I haven't so much as seen Gunslinger B! Any tips?

Edit: Nevermind, after all of this resetting Mission 7 Level 1, I finally managed to at least get Gunslinger B to spawn!

So the crews are always at the same place in a map, they are not random. I'll begin to search area.

So the crews are always at the same place in a map, they are not random. I'll begin to search area.

Actually, they are random. There's specific places where they seem to have chances of appearing, but it could be any crew member that can appear the described location that ends up there, or none at all.

Doorman

Downloaded the game a few days ago, and finally just tried out a few online matches, about three of them. Just as expected...I really suck. :p

The second match in particular was brutal, one of my allies was down within like 20 seconds, a second shortly thereafter, after which it seemed like three of the four enemies all came upon me all at once. Trying to hold out, I did manage to take down one sub and put up pretty good damage on another, during which time my last ally sank. Watching the map play out after the match was kind of sad.

The way the subs maneuver still messes with me a lot, I keep feeling like the Y-axis controls should be inverted for diving and surfacing like plane-style controls, but then since movement is also tied for aiming, trying out that control method makes lining shots up really weird. Similarly, if you tilt the circle pad to dive while running in reverse, you still go down rather than up. That's hard to get used to! The game is still kinda fun, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to get a hold of the mindgames aspect of it.

hoserx

Downloaded the game a few days ago, and finally just tried out a few online matches, about three of them. Just as expected...I really suck. :p

The second match in particular was brutal, one of my allies was down within like 20 seconds, a second shortly thereafter, after which it seemed like three of the four enemies all came upon me all at once. Trying to hold out, I did manage to take down one sub and put up pretty good damage on another, during which time my last ally sank. Watching the map play out after the match was kind of sad.

The way the subs maneuver still messes with me a lot, I keep feeling like the Y-axis controls should be inverted for diving and surfacing like plane-style controls, but then since movement is also tied for aiming, trying out that control method makes lining shots up really weird. Similarly, if you tilt the circle pad to dive while running in reverse, you still go down rather than up. That's hard to get used to! The game is still kinda fun, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to get a hold of the mindgames aspect of it.

Play more, you'll adapt to the controls. Don't sell yourself short....... your mind is very capable.

dwuuuu

Banned

I recommend for beginners to just keep the sub going at full max. Don't bother slowing the sub down.
Turn the 3D on max, so you getter a better draw distance.
As for shooting, hit sonar (y), then keep your aiming steady and fire !
Use surface oftern when you get damaged and mask.

I believe the inversion issue can be resolved by going into the options menu, as I think they allow for inverting those things.

SuperSah

Banned
Okay, my recommendations for an update:

1) slightly better 3D graphics
2) more free submarines
3) party play
4) leaderboards
5) voice chat? *lolnintendo*
6) more modes such as FFA etc. etc.

Hale-XF11

Nothing like having a Level 1 player on your own team who pursues you and shoots at you and only you the entire game. Yup.

Neiteio

I did that for a little bit because I assumed that the red names were for enemy ships!
One time I played a few matches in a row, on the red team... Then the next match, I was on blue, but I didn't realize it, so I started shooting at a blue guy... Then I realized my mistake, after hitting him just once, and I kept spamming "SORRY" over Morse code, but he didn't seem to realize I made a simple mistake, and he pursued me the entire match, heh.

-Horizon-

Okay, my recommendations for an update:

1) slightly better 3D graphics
2) more free submarines
3) party play
4) leaderboards
5) voice chat? *lolnintendo*
6) more modes such as FFA etc. etc.
I would love it if they had these updates. The game is just so much fun to play, even free.
why is there no Arpeggio or KanColle crossover promotion yet?!

Hale-XF11

That feeling of being all alone in the underwater cave, then being discovered and pursued by two enemies, then masking and taking both of them out. Feels so good.

Camjo-Z

Don't forget guys, if you got this game last week then the Club Nintendo post-play survey should be available for you, so make sure to ask for fixed online and other additional features you want. IDK whether it actually will work but it's worth a shot.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Now that I'm at level 23, the dropping during random battles is making it to where you have to play 1-2 hours just to level up once. I can't imagine how difficult it is going to be to make any progress at 30+.

Nintendo needs to fix this stat or my interest in the game is going to start to sink...

mihon

Now that I'm at level 23, the dropping during random battles is making it to where you have to play 1-2 hours just to level up once. I can't imagine how difficult it is going to be to make any progress at 30+.

Nintendo needs to fix this stat or my interest in the game is going to start to sink...

Server errors... Server errors everywhere!

Don't even tell me about it. If it weren't for those, I would easily be 41+ level by now, having access to all subs.

I'm using the Black Eel now, which is kinda of a funky ship. It has long range torpedoes, but only 6 and a reload time of 5 seconds, which is the standard time for subs with short topedoes.

It also has a 9 (!) surface speed and 3 submerged speed, which is kinda funny. So I put a crewmember to increase that to 10 and the repairman. Now I can run away while repairing :p.

By the way, it seems that the max surface speed is 11.8.

I would love it if they had these updates. The game is just so much fun to play, even free.
why is there no Arpeggio or KanColle crossover promotion yet?!

Speaking of Blue Steel, for wanting to think of this as a game adaptation of that, I sure hope you bought the I-400 class submarine out of the game's shop!

Doorman

Playing a few more online matches now, and things are finally starting to fall into place a little bit more. I'm getting better at taking down opponent's subs, at least. The past three games in a row I scored the winning hit, the first of which was a pretty nailbiting showdown against myself and another as the lone survivors. I wish the multiplayer had some more features (or at least the ability to join friends' rooms, I could probably sell a few buddies on this, and I bet GAF rooms would be a blast), but it's simple fun.

I'm still not sure if it'll dig its hooks into me enough to spring for the premium version but this is making a nice little diversion between Bravely Default and Monster Hunter grinding.

Zebra

So, is Nintendo even aware of the disconnects? Are they doing anything about them?

I saw a level 42 and my jaw dropped.

So, is Nintendo even aware of the disconnects? Are they doing anything about them?

I would imagine that they're aware, given that the CEO of Vitei, the company that developed this game with Nintendo EAD 5 (Vitei getting the title screen credit) linked to the other Steel Diver GAF thread in a Twitter post.

No official word on these disconnects, but the servers do apparently get maintained and many of us filled in our Club Nintendo post-play surveys for this game today.

Neiteio

I was battling someone earlier and I swear we were on a teeter-totter as we approached each other, both bobbing up and down. And we were both dodging each other's torpedoes this way, lol.

I was battling someone earlier and I swear we were on a teeter-totter as we approached each other, both bobbing up and down. And we were both dodging each other's torpedoes this way, lol.

Welcome to head-on engagements!

I'm at level 30 now. When I wake up tomorrow I'll play the rest of the way to unlocking my precious Super Cod.

And for those curious, you hit level 30 when you get a total of 40,000 multiplayer points since your first match.

dwuuuu

Banned
A 4 v 1 sub warfare, is like a pack of wolves hunting together and preying on a lion, taking turns to shoot while seeing the wounded sub with smoke running away, must surely rank as the cruelest way to team up and kill !

A 4 v 1 sub warfare, is like a pack of wolves hunting together and preying on a lion, taking turns to shoot while seeing the wounded sub with smoke running away, must surely rank as the cruelest way to team up and kill !
It's funny when you think about it: a blodless, Nintendo-developed FPS can make you feel crueler for destroying an enemy virtual submarine than most typical FPSes make you do for virtual people.

It's purely out of feeling bad for the player playing as the submarine!

Hale-XF11

So, if you're looking to get a decent win streak with few connection errors, the servers seem to be most stable very late at night/early morning when hardly anyone's on but a few people. Managed to level up nicely late last night.

Top Bottom