• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

Zips

You think you do, but you're a huge sitting duck while you're up there. :)

Still, if you can sneak far enough away, it could be useful.

One of the fights it became 4 vs. me, after I had managed to take down three the last one was far away and we had a good two minutes+ before contact. Searched for the supply ship but could only find the other team's, and lost the last sliver of health I had from a collision with the last sub :(.

Neiteio

Yeah, player counts are excellent for this game. And I anticipate they will continue to be so with the eventual SpotPass notices, general word of mouth, and future DLC support (made evident by the fact the historical subs in the shop have dates listed for when they were made available, suggesting more yet to come).

Yes Boss!

I think I might be the only person who actually bought this for the single-player missions.

Had a great time with them this weekend. Still quite a few hours of play more till I medal on all of them.

Hale-XF11

I think I might be the only person who actually bought this for the single-player missions.

Had a great time with them this weekend. Still quite a few hours of play more till I medal on all of them.

That's why I bought it. Well, that and getting more crew members and subs. But the extra missions are what made it a done deal for me.

Arkam

I ended up buying the full game. The single player levels are a blast and offer a great variety of missions. And DAMN the multiplayer is addicting. I am losing most of my matches but having so much fun doing so!

Everyone who owns a 3DS needs to at least download and TRY this game. You owe it to yourself.

I almost have to wonder if it's the win streaks themselves that are responsible for the error messages, because I have played at least six or seven skill-based matches in a row now without a single error message.

Edit: Still haven't gotten any errors while keeping at it, though I did just learn that Draws have their own graphic, but use the music of a defeat.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Bit the bullet and bought the premium version. Well worth it just to support such a fun game!

I almost have to wonder if it's the win streaks themselves that are responsible for the error messages, because I have played at least six or seven skill-based matches in a row now without a single error message.

Edit: Still haven't gotten any errors while keeping at it, though I did just learn that Draws have their own graphic, but use the music of a defeat.

I've noticed that as well but right now I'm not having any problems with it.

Having no problems getting into matches initially, but going back into an internet match after wining or losing one often leads to an error. =/

Also....I'm starting to notice something I thought I'd never see again after I stopped playing WoW. Idlers. People not moving whatsoever from their starting position for a whole match, not even fighting back when they're the last person and getting pounded. You'd barely get any points doing this (basically only ship survival points when you win), but apparently some people are desperate enough to level to do it. =/

Having no problems getting into matches initially, but going back into an internet match after wining or losing one often leads to an error. =/

Also....I'm starting to notice something I thought I'd never see again after I stopped playing WoW. Idlers. People not moving whatsoever from their starting position for a whole match, not even fighting back when they're the last person and getting pounded. You'd barely get any points doing this (basically only ship survival points when you win), but apparently some people are desperate enough to level to do it. =/

If you want the inter-match errors to stop, go with skill-based matches. That should also solve the idler issue.

I've tried that. The problem there is that not only do the similar skill matches not allow you to rack up win streaks, but they also are much more prone to having to fill spots with bots which don't give you any points. It really diminishes your leveling potential.

Long-range torpedos hit hard. I'm trying some long-range ice-cream right now:
zlCfzRhc7MwSaFZ0v2

And I just downed an enemy sub in two hits. Long-range hits, admittedly, but still.

SoupyFlow

Banned
I got to play for the first time last night for about an hour. I mainly did multiplayer and it was fun for what it is. I will probably go premium.

I've tried that. The problem there is that not only do the similar skill matches not allow you to rack up win streaks, but they also are much more prone to having to fill spots with bots which don't give you any points. It really diminishes your leveling potential.

CPUs give you points for damage (but not sinking), and it doesn't sound like you're getting win streaks in the random matches, either.

Ugh, finally had my first case of being on the red team and one of your team members being conditioned to kill anything that's red ruining your chances of victory. There goes a 3 win streak.

Skiesofwonder

Here I am in clinicals but all I can think about is sinking subs...

jFb8VQ3b1OMYB.png

the /vg/ crew is truly a force to behold

I salute blue team against those insurmountable odds!

Ugh, finally had my first case of being on the red team and one of your team members being conditioned to kill anything that's red ruining your chances of victory. There goes a 3 win streak.

Ughhhh that's so frustrating when that happens!

mihon

Unlocked the Super Cod sub, but can't make it work. Even with 10 health, that turn rate 2 just makes it incredibly vulnerable. It doesn't help that it uses Short missiles and the submerged speed is 3. Also, 10 health doesn't seem to increase durability by much.

I'm playing a lot better today now that it's not lagging for me anymore! Getting like 5-7 hits a match which is good for me!

Edit: How many hits are y'all getting per match?

Neiteio

Unlocked the Super Cod sub, but can't make it work. Even with 10 health, that turn rate 2 just makes it incredibly vulnerable. It doesn't help that it uses Short missiles and the submerged speed is 3. Also, 10 health doesn't seem to increase durability by much.
Turn Rate is probably the most valuable stat for my tastes. High maneuverability + the right maneuvers = underwater ballet.

Skiesofwonder

When the game doesn't drop you, leveling up is actually pretty easy. For example I just got over a 1000 points in one match because I'm on 5 game win streak.

To bad it dropped me the next one though because I just would have gotten 1100+ that last match. :/

Skiesofwonder

Just sunk a level 41 sub! It was in the swimming pool, but it felt damn good nonetheless!

Just hit level 20, on a 10 game win streak
to bad it has dropped three times during it
!

NandN3DS

Banned
Wow,I love this game. It is so addictive but I do hate the errors that keep me from playing three matches in a row.I go by Nvg in online matches.

What's with all of the folks playing with "88" in their name. Last I knew this was most prominently associated with neo-nazi's and hate speech. Does it have a different meaning in gaming circles?

edit: nevermind, apparently it is also short hand for hugs and kisses in morse code. Seeing as how a bunch of folks have been entering heil into the chat log though I'm still not so sure that the usage is universal. online mp, blerg!

I'm 5 levels away from it now. I have only one sub standing between me and the Super Cod now, and I have developed a plan for making the Super Cod work for me. I think it will work quite well.

mihon

I'm 5 levels away from it now. I have only one sub standing between me and the Super Cod now, and I have developed a plan for making the Super Cod work for me. I think it will work quite well.

Good luck with it! :) What's your plan btw?

That turn speed just kills it for me. If an enemy gets behind, I'm toast. The turn speed is so low that the other sub can just keep shooting without me even having a chance to fight back.

gerudoman

First time I'm actually able to play 3 consecutive matches and I get disconnected in the middle of the battle, therefore ruining my strike :/

I hope the connection errors will eventually get solved, but considering Nintendo is involved I wouldn't hold my breath. I like the game, I'd like to support it by buying the premium version to experiment with other settings, but as it's now (and being multiplayer focused) I think it's an unfinished game.

Camjo-Z

What's with all of the folks playing with "88" in their name. Last I knew this was most prominently associated with neo-nazi's and hate speech. Does it have a different meaning in gaming circles?

edit: nevermind, apparently it is also short hand for hugs and kisses in morse code. Seeing as how a bunch of folks have been entering heil into the chat log though I'm still not so sure that the usage is universal. online mp, blerg!

don't quote this post or anything.

Zarovitch

I've play many games last night online it was better than the last time i try it.
I begin to get better and that help :)

I found some crew member, get some kill. The satisfaction when you dodge a torpedo.

Like everybody i got many disconnect between match, they need to patch that for the streak.

edit: I want this game for the Wii U, but why not a Mech games like this one?

Hale-XF11

K, so I had my GAF name changed to better match my handles on all my game systems, plus it's the exact same as my NNID. Also, I cleaned up and updated the OP a bit. If Nintendo comes out with more DLC for this game, then I'll be sure to update it with that info as well.

Ramming speed as a last ditch effort feels pretty good :)

It sure does, especially when the other guy also decides to go full out kamikaze, like two goats butting heads for dominance.

Neiteio

You guys mentioned ramming speed scenarios. Personally, I like pulling up a the last second, going over the incoming enemy, and then diving on top of him, grinding along the top of the enemy sub. I think you deal more damage this way (to everyone involved, self included, lol).

Hale-XF11

You guys mentioned ramming speed scenarios. Personally, I like pulling up a the last second, going over the incoming enemy, and then diving on top of him, grinding along the top of the enemy sub. I think you deal more damage this way (to everyone involved, self included, lol).

Oh god, I've done this so many times now. It's like nails on a chalk board as the subs grind against each other. I cringe just thinking about it.

Neiteio

Oh god, I've done this so many times now. It's like nails on a chalk board as the subs grind against each other. I cringe just thinking about it.
It's like grinding rails in skateboarding, only the railing is a nuclear submarine and the skateboarder is also a nuclear submarine.

Imagine if they had that event at the next X-games!

Some additional strategy tips that I carry over from the metagame for World of Tanks (another team-based vehicle-based shooter where you don't respawn):

• If you start shooting at an enemy, keep shooting at that enemy until it's sunk. Don't be distracted by other enemies shooting at you, because it will most likely take you longer to sink those enemies than the one that's already getting its health lowered!
  • If you know that an enemy is at low health (leaking oil is a surefire sign of this), do not hesitate to finish it off before moving on to higher-health enemies! A low-health enemy's torpedoes do just as much damage as those of a higher-health one!
  • If an ally is shooting at an enemy, help that ally destroy the enemy if you can: 1 enemy vehicle down means 1 less torpedo platform, and helping your allies handle an enemy means that you eliminate a torpedo platform twice as quickly. There's no such thing as kill stealing when respawning is impossible!
  • However, if you see your ally being shot from behind by another enemy submarine, even if your ally is shooting at some other submarine, get the submarine off of their back by any means necessary! You'll be saving an allied torpedo platform that way and/or attacking a vulnerable enemy.

On the subject of ramming, in head-to-head engagements, I like to ram into their front, with a slight height advantage, with the goal being that the enemy is in front of my torpedo tubes while I'm too high above theirs for them to consistently return fire on me!

mihon

It's kind of funny how it took Nintendo, of all companies, to make me interested in a multiplayer FPS game again. Used to play a lot of Counter Strike 1.6 back in the day, but now I have no interest in the current FPS offerings. Well, except Neo-Tokyo, but very few people play that.

I really like the slow paced, strategic nature of the game. We need more stuff like this.

dwuuuu

Banned
It's kind of funny how it took Nintendo, of all companies, to make me interested in a multiplayer FPS game again. Used to play a lot of Counter Strike 1.6 back in the day, but now I have no interest in the current FPS offerings. Well, except Neo-Tokyo, but very few people play that.

I really like the slow paced, strategic nature of the game. We need more stuff like this.

I bet it doesn't feel slow anymore when you get bombarded by torppedoes left, right and center, forcing the sub to mask in crisis mode !!!

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Tried the free version earlier and it was pretty fun. Lost the 1st match but won the second on hot springs map somehow when all of my team died pretty quickly and it was just me left. Felt good.

Don't know if I want to buy yet though

Riposte

What's the power difference between the starter sub and the highest level sub with crew members and all that? In other words, how much does character/account progression factor strategically?

Neiteio

What's the power difference between the starter sub and the highest level sub with crew members and all that? In other words, how much does character/account progression factor strategically?
Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but the base sub has 4/10 in every stat (I.E. 4 Turn Rate, 4 Surface Speed, 4 Submerged Speed, etc), while the lv. 40+ subs can average around 6-7/10 in each stat, and the starter sub can carry two crew members, but the lv. 40+ subs can carry five crew members. Each crew member adds a passive bonus, like "+1 Health" or "See allies on map," so a lv. 40 sub with five crew could be something indeed. But even then, no one's invincible -- there were reports here on GAF of lv. 20 subs sinking lv. 40 subs. You don't get stronger by leveling; you just gain access to stronger subs.

moolamb

I'm so sorry to whoever was on my team last night. It was 3am, on my last legs of consciousness and I had been playing as red for a streak and so I was conditioned to shoot at blue. I sunk two of my teammates. I admit it, I am sorry.

But if you stuck around I also sunk the other 4 enemies too...

Exile20

Nintendo, please gave us a way to invite friends, leaderboards(daily, weekly, monthly) and even clan battles. If this game had these features this was make this so much better.

Top Bottom