• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Tarazet

I have a little STEM in my portfolio. Very little.

Shorting Amazon at the moment. Not doing too well right now but Monday is another day.

sonarrat said:
Shorting Amazon at the moment. Not doing too well right now but Monday is another day.

I sold Amazon at 58.50, a 17% swing or so from yesterday.

I think you are quite wise to be shorting it at this point. Anything that's trading at 40x its future price/earnings, in this market, deserves to come down a bit.

I think, anyway. I'm often wrong.

kinda looking into GERN and STEM

GERN was just FDA approved to begin a clinical trial of a stem cell therapy for spinal injury, which has showed promise in lab animals

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How will companies like STEM do in the current situation? Less credit, less funding I would think.

RotBot

Dear Zecco Trading client,

I'm writing to tell you that as of March 1st, 2009, we're increasing the minimum level of assets needed to earn 10 free trades per month to $25,000. We're also adding a new way to get free trades: customers who make at least 25 total trades per month will also qualify for 10 free stock trades per month.

Awww, dammit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ha! Like my Bank. I'd have to make 30 trades or so per quarter I think for the following ones to be free. It costs me $30 a trade. That's why I rarely trade, especially not on short term. Sucks:|

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm hoping for NTDOY to fall really low so I could buy some for cheap, like somewhere in the 20s. Sorry iifu;)

I'd like to get some Nintendo shares early on much earlier before any new console/portable is hinted at. They still have to release some sort of new Wii model.

alejob

Yeah financial and auto stocks suck big time. But that means high risk high reward! :lol Or you could end up screwed. Risky game to play.

So I think we will break the 8000 barrier this week, lets see what happens. I moved my 401k to a more secure fund. I'm expecting a short term meltdown here pretty soon. Just a gut feeling, but I've been wrong many times before.:D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Global crisis 'has destroyed 40pc of world wealth'

Steve Schwarzman, chairman of private equity giant Blackstone, said an "almost incomprehensible" amount of cash had evaporated since the financial crisis took hold.

"Business will be very different," he added.

His comments came on a day of the World Economic Forum characterised by the gloom of its participants and warnings that the crisis will endure for some time. News Corp chief executive Rupert Murdoch kicked off the meetings by warning that the atmosphere was worsening – despite global economic confidence plumbing the lowest depths on record.

"The crisis is getting worse," he said. "It's going to take drastic action to turn it around, if it can be turned around, quickly. I believe it will take a long time."

Executives participating in an economic brainstorming session said that despite the trauma caused by the economic and financial problems, another crisis at some point in the future was inevitable.

Sir Howard Davies, director of the London School of Economics and a former Bank of England policymaker said: "The outlook is pretty grim. Things are not good and business surveys are coming out showing they're getting even worse."

And yeah I think that the 8000 floor has been highly highly optmistic, completely artificial. I think this time we are going down for real, I expect Noubiri and co to be right in saying that we're going to lose another good 15 to 20%.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
four-bears-extended-large.gif

Tarazet

RotBot said:
Dear Zecco Trading client,

I'm writing to tell you that as of March 1st, 2009, we're increasing the minimum level of assets needed to earn 10 free trades per month to $25,000. We're also adding a new way to get free trades: customers who make at least 25 total trades per month will also qualify for 10 free stock trades per month.
Awww, dammit.

And they just lost my business. Between that and the yearly fees for IRAs, wtf.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Veneroso: Japan on the Edge of the Abyss

I have been writing about an Asian black hole for almost two months now. I have been crying from the rooftops about an emerging depression in Japan. It has been as though a neutron bomb had gone off in the world. There was no one who seemed to notice, no one who seemed to listen.

Every week it gets worse and worse and worse. Today it was Japan....

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN DATA THIS BAD FOR ANY MAJOR ECONOMY – EVEN IN THE GREAT DEPRESSION. December industrial production came in down 9.6%, worse than the METI forecast. It is now down almost 21% year over year. METI forecasts a further 4.7% decline in February. The inventory to production ratio soared again. Maybe METI will be correct.

If it is, Japan industrial production will have fallen 28% (non annualized) in four months. It will have fallen by a third in about a year. Nothing in the history of major nations compares. A 28% decline in four months would be more than half of the entire decline in U.S. industrial production over the 3 years and nine months of the U.S. Great Depression.

It would be a greater decline in four months than in any 12 month period in the Great Depression in the U.S. We are literally looking at the unimaginable. (I am attaching the U.S. industrial production index from the Great Depression for comparison).

IT’S A DEPRESSION IN JAPAN – ALREADY – PURE AND SIMPLE.

Ovid

CGT looks like a buy right about now. I'm thinking about picking up 1000 shares. Hey Ether_Snake, do you think it will ever reach $4 again?

kathode

sonarrat said:
Fuck me, AMZN kept going up. Tank already dammit, you're not worth it!

:lol I read your post and went and bought a put on it, so I'm cursing too. Luckily it was only a single put so I'm not worried about it. But I thought it was a good idea at the time! We'll see what happens over the next few days.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
CGT looks like a buy right about now. I'm thinking about picking up 1000 shares. Hey Ether_Snake, do you think it will ever reach $4 again?

What do you mean? It is at 5.64. I got a total of around 1000 shares or a bit more, worth around $9 a share (haven't look at my portfolio recently). I would buy more if I had the money, but I'm keeping to add to BHI and then HON (not too hyped about HON though, but I have to add some to it cause I bought a while ago, something like at 45 or so I forget). The only company in my portfolio with ATVI I could sleep on, but moreso than ATVI.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
What do you mean? It is at 5.64. I got a total of around 1000 shares or a bit more, worth around $9 a share (haven't look at my portfolio recently). I would buy more if I had the money, but I'm keeping to add to BHI and then HON (not too hyped about HON though, but I have to add some to it cause I bought a while ago, something like at 45 or so I forget). The only company in my portfolio with ATVI I could sleep on, but moreso than ATVI.
The stock is a bit oversold at the moment so I'll purchase tomorrow. I wonder what their earnings will look like on Feb. 11th?

Barrett2

sonarrat said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Shorting AMZN? God damn.... this is exactly the kind of situation that makes me too scared to short anything.

What is GAF's opinion on ATVI? How is their P/E so high?

Tarazet

lawblob said:
Shorting AMZN? God damn.... this is exactly the kind of situation that makes me too scared to short anything.

Good bye, 3 months of hard work. I would totally short it now, though, so I'm not selling..

kathode

:lol Just gotta pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and stay the course.

AMZN and STEM have been inspired picks by people here the last few weeks. Let me know if you have anymore :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sonarrat: you don't set a limit? From what I understand, when you short you could have unlimited losses.

ERTS is up 4% in AH after being up 4% today, and I'm surprised considering they just lowered their forecast and delayed three games.

I'm very confident in ATVI, especially over the long term. I still have my shares I bought in summer 2007, plus 100 more I bought recently at 9.74 or so. I think they are better positioned than anyone else. It's more about the market itself at this point IMO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
Hey Ether, are we going to here good things from CGT next week?

I have no idea! :lol Judging from the contracts they have been getting recently, I'm thinking they are doing well even in the recession. I think their aim to rely less on the US has been working. What I would really like to hear in the future is that they are looking at ways to make standalone simulators more versatile. I'm thinking one day you won't need simulators to be built for specific aircraft types. And it would be nice if they could diversify in other types of simulations too, anything like trains, subways, boats, etc. One day you'll be able to simulate any vehicle and its controls inside a black box;)

But more seriously, another thing to take into consideration is that CGT is paid in US dollars from what I know, and the recent rise must have been good for them. I remember they had been suffering from the rise of the CAD VS the USD a few months ago before things settled back.

Anyway I'm confident! But don't expect sharp upward movement even with good earnings, I never saw a sudden surge in CGT's share price. I'm thinking that since we're in a recession, even good results won't lead to a rally.

BTW the one thing I think allows ATVI to stand out above the competition is their lineup diversity. They are obviously doing it right; making sure their games don't compete with one another at any level, and can be expanded over time. They got the perfect strategy IMO. I wish we had that kind of management.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Ether_Snake said:
sonarrat: you don't set a limit? From what I understand, when you short you could have unlimited losses.

Only in theory. If you're shorting, which pretty much has to be done in a margin account, your broker has margin limits set for you (i.e. 40%). If you reach your margin limit, your broker will sell your positions immediately. Hopefully, you'll get a margin call before you reach that point.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I guessed right today on it being green. I have a touch for this shit or something. We are close to the bottom soon though. Summer 2009 will be catastrophic. Hopefully, the market will pull out afterward. Depends on the government's action.

Now? Moment to start businesses, buy long-range stocks and check oil contracts.

Ovid

Relix said:
I guessed right today on it being green. I have a touch for this shit or something. We are close to the bottom soon though. Summer 2009 will be catastrophic. Hopefully, the market will pull out afterward. Depends on the government's action.

Now? Moment to start businesses, buy long-range stocks and check oil contracts.
What's gonna happen in Summer '09?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
tarius1210 said:
What's gonna happen in Summer '09?

Shit will hit the fan. Maybe diarrhea. :lol It's just my opinion on what could happen, but I am investing with a possible apocalypse in the market anytime soon, especially in summer, happening.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hyundai Defies U.S. Slump as Asians Grab Record Share

Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp., South Korea’s largest carmakers, defied lower U.S. demand in January to help Asian brands grab record market share and outsell U.S.-based competitors.

Hyundai gained 14 percent after it began a program to let customers who lose jobs return cars. Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s biggest automaker, slid 32 percent, Honda Motor Co. fell 28 percent and Nissan Motor Co. declined 30 percent.

“Toyota and Honda may be feeling some pressure from smaller brands, particularly Hyundai with its buyback program,” said Jesse Toprak, director of analysis for auto-research firm Edmunds.com in Santa Monica, California. “Hyundai’s program seems to have really dealt with a core issue of making consumers feel more secure about a purchase.”

The gain for Seoul-based Hyundai was one of the few bright spots last month as auto sales withered amid mounting job losses and dwindling consumer confidence. Sales in the U.S., the world’s biggest auto market, dropped to the lowest unit total since December 1981, according to Autodata Corp.

Japanese and South Korean brands held a combined 49.5 percent share of the market last month, their highest ever, as U.S.-based competitors fell to a record low 42.5 percent, according to Woodcliff, New Jersey-based Autodata. Asian brands first overtook U.S. automakers in market share in June 2008.

Tarazet

Ether_Snake said:

I mean I have puts, which is basically an amplified short position. The risk of loss is lower because the value of the investment itself is usually lower, but you can lose it all in a blink.

Some notable earnings coming up:

Tomorrow:

Philip Morris (PM)
Cisco Systems (CSCO)
Clorox (CXL)
Kraft
Allergan
Prudential Financial
Time Warner
MetLife
Thermo Fisher
Devon Energy

Thursday:

Mastercard (MA)
Kellogg (K)
Cardinal Health

Philip Morris, when looking at its fundamentals, seems like a great buy right now. Good dividend yield as well. I would think its earnings would be fine. I might get into this one.

Cisco is VERY attractively priced. But what will its earnings be like? Tough to say. I'm tempted to get into this one, HUGE, but I don't think I'll do it.

Clorox is positioned well for the recession, in that its products are consumer staples. Bleach, Glad bags, kitty litter, a whole mess of things. I would bet its earnings will be good.

Now, Mastercard. I've had my eye on this stock. Obviously, common sense tells me that credit card companies are not the best buy right now. But in recent history, Mastercard has handily beaten expectations. +30% Dec 2007, +5.5% Mar 2008, 9.78% Jun 2008. Things have gotten much worse than then, but, it's not like people will quit with credit cards entirely, right?

Of course, Mastercard has a net loss the past couple quarters. At the same time, their revenue has been growing at a great rate. Their profit margin is exceedingly healthy, they have little debt, and they have $2 billion in cash reserves.

Here's a snapshot:MasterCard Inc. (NYSE: MA) is expected to post a fourth-quarter profit that is 45.4% higher that a year ago, or $1.63 per share. Its revenue is expected to be $1.2 billion, which is 12.7% higher than last year. For the full year, the profit is expected to be $8.83 per share on revenue of $5.0 billion, up from $5.69 per share on $4.1 billion. MasterCard's earnings have beat estimates in the past five quarters, by as much as 29.5%. The consensus recommendation of analysts has been to buy MA for more than 90 days. The long-range EPS growth forecast is 17.5%, better than that of rival American Express Co. (NYSE: AXP), which posted lower earnings last week. MasterCard shares have fallen 5.0% since the beginning of the year and are 36.0% lower than a year ago. MasterCard also recently declared a quarterly dividend, as well as changes to adapt to the economic climate. Rival Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is also expected to report this week, and analysts expect to see more modest earnings growth.

Another thing: There's 12 million worth of short interest in MA right now. If their earnings are good there will be a short squeeze, meaning a quick shot up.

I think I've convinced myself to buy Mastercard while doing this write up. We'll see. I may not buy any of these. Playing earnings is quite risky.

Ovid

I understand EA is cutting costs but they still have no major titles coming out. Why is everyone so optimistic about this company moving forward? This stock will drop below $14 in a few days.

Cisco's earnings a little lower than expected, bad outlook for 2009.

Philip Morris pretty much met earnings, the strong dollar took away a lot of their profit.

I jumped in pretty huge on Mastercard, at 140. Visa just blew away expectations and MasterCard is up 4% in after hours, with people no doubt thinking MasterCard will do the same when they report tomorrow morning.

Here's hoping.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
THQI down 9% in AH after missing estimates. Cuts 600 jobs. TTWO trading at $6, but I'm not buying anything from them (management must feel humiliated for not having sold at 25.75).

kathode

Dammit, I meant to short THQ earlier this week but totally forgot. Oh well, I don't have any free cash anyway. One more month to cashflow...

Tarazet

Had to give up on my AMZN puts. What can I do with an investment that goes that far south that fast? One of these days I'll hit it right.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ERTS up another 9%. Crazy. THQI down 17%.

EDIT: China Declares Highest Level of Drought Emergency

China, the world’s largest wheat producer, raised its drought emergency alert to level one, the highest class, for the first time.

About 155 million mu (10.3 million hectares) of all crops nationwide are affected, according to a statement by the Office of Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters. About 4.3 million people and 2.1 million large livestock have limited access to drinking water, the office said.

The drought may reduce grain output, limit exports and hurt efforts by the government to boost rural incomes at a time when 20 million migrant workers have lost their jobs. President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao have ordered “all-out efforts” to fight the drought, the official Xinhua News Agency has said.

Wheat prices jumped the most in two weeks yesterday because of the crop damage in China, the biggest grain producer. Wheat for March delivery was up 0.2 percent at $5.63 a bushel on the Chicago Board of Trade at 9 a.m. Singapore time today.

The drought is the worst to hit northern China in half a century, Xinhua said yesterday, citing a State Council meeting. The State Council has earmarked a further 300 million yuan ($44 million) to a drought relief fund on top of the 100 million yuan already allocated.

About 143 million mu of winter wheat crops are in drought, with more than 46 million mu in a “severe” condition, the office said. The dry conditions “rarely seen in history” have hurt almost 46 percent of the winter wheat crop in major growing provinces and may slow the planting of spring crops, it has said.

China has had five years of favorable weather and increased harvests, allowing the government to stockpile surplus food, said Wang Chen, director of commodity research at Wanda Futures Co., by phone from Beijing yesterday. Farmers who hold inventories of wheat, rice and corn would benefit from the higher prices induced by the drought, he said.

I might buy some DBC eventually. I think that since we're in rough times we'll be unlucky enough to get a lot of terrible crops, hurricanes, etc., that should get the price of oil and weath and corn up.

BTW I'm probably finally adding to BHI soon, sucks that it's at 35 right now but we'll see next week.

mollipen

So, thought this might be a good place to ask this, since I assume at least some of you do your own taxes.

This is the first year I've played around with stocks, and I'm a bit stuck on the "Wash Sale" part of filing my taxes. I had picked up 150 shares of WAMU at $3.84 each, and then as we know WAMU basically died. Right before the stock was pretty much killed, I got in a sell order and sold all 150 shares for $22.19. After that, I basically just said screw it, and used that money to pick back up 170 shares of WAMUQ at $0.14 each.

The catch that I'm on is the "substantially identical stocks" part, which tries to help avoid short selling for tax credit purposes (from how I understand it). The difference, for me, in those stocks being "substantially" identical is about $600 of refund.

Would those be considered substantially identical stocks? (In the opinion of anybody who wants to reply.) To me, the price and company situation makes me think that they aren't, but then again I could be totally naive. I'm probably going to call the IRS anyhow to get their opinion, but just wanted to see what you guys had to say.

Man, if they are substantially identical, then this damn WAMU stock is going to end up screwing me over twice. *heh*

kathode

Wouldn't hurt to ask the IRS, but if I had to guess, it sounds like a wash sale to me. I've got a couple of those myself :-/

First of all, a wash sale is just for accounting purposes. You are not actually losing any money in the process. Any net loss from your first sale gets added to the cost basis of your second sale, so you are still getting the deduction of the net loss. The only problem is if you continue to hold that second sale past tax time, then, obviously, you won't receive the deduction until next year, or whenever you sell your second holding.

And yes, what you did constitutes a wash sale. However, I'm having difficulty deciphering your numbers. Do you mean that you bought 150 shares at $23.84, before selling them at 22.19? I don't understand, maybe I'm missing something.

RotBot

tyguy20204 said:
Do you mean that you bought 150 shares at $23.84, before selling them at 22.19? I don't understand, maybe I'm missing something.
He sold all 150 shares for $22.19 at 14 cents each.

Top Bottom