• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

argon

Scary chart of the day:

20090515.gif

Stocks are not cheap, but I think they will be by the end of the year.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I sold all my longs (except DELL & XLP) this morning and bought KO and GD puts. It was pretty good timing :lol I had a few other orders in that never got filled. My CVH is still killing me.

kathode

My put stocks all ended the day still in green. Annoying when the market tanks but my three stocks just kind of slightly dip down. I doubled down on CVH. That shit is going down! (one of these days...)

gkryhewy

THQI is up significantly over the last two days. I think the UFC game could break out into a significant hit -- I wonder whether it might make them more attractive as an acquisition?

I also would probably buy and hold ERTS if I didn't think the market was going back to 7500 or so -- their Wii investments are quite smart.

TheKingsCrown said:
I disagree with you on ATVI. That stock is a buy, plain and simple. While the market may put too much earnings weight on guitar hero, I believe it places too little on the 3 Starcraft 2 titles coming out. Additionally, the assets under the umbrella on ATVI are second only to Nintendo / Square-Enix, and maybe a couple other studios. They are extremely well positioned in the industry and will continue to be. This should overwhelm any balance sheet issues that arise.

ATVI's own yearly earnings forecast is revenue-wise similar to ERTS despite all these products

My biggest issue is with the quoted assets on their balance sheet. Goodwill needs to be revalued since it is based on a 2007 merger and I see it falling 30% = direct affect on shareholder's equity

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
ATVI's own yearly earnings forecast is revenue-wise similar to ERTS despite all these products

My biggest issue is with the quoted assets on their balance sheet. Goodwill needs to be revalued since it is based on a 2007 merger and I see it falling 30% = direct affect on shareholder's equity

Yeah but clearly investors don't know when Starcraft 2, for example, is launching. If they did, the stock would react more violently than it has, wouldn't it? Everyone has their suspicions but money now is worth more than money later, except investors don't know when "now" is.

Also, I think the majority of investors underestimate the power of Blizzard's brand and the effects that a major release of theirs has on the PC sector.

We'll see.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
TTWO up 4% today on buyout rumor. Ether_Snake, didn't you pick up shares of this company a few weeks ago?

Yeah two or three weeks ago or so, at $8.84. I didn't read any buyout rumor today though, where did you see that? Anyway I bought them because I already made money on them before when EA made an offer, and like I said before TTWO will definitly be bought out eventually, there's not enough chances in their favor for them to grow significantly on their own, so management will see that and they'll accept an offer eventually. They fucked up big time by saying not to EA at $25.75 a share.

gkrykewy said:
THQI is up significantly over the last two days. I think the UFC game could break out into a significant hit -- I wonder whether it might make them more attractive as an acquisition?

I also would probably buy and hold ERTS if I didn't think the market was going back to 7500 or so -- their Wii investments are quite smart.

THQI has been going up abnormally since some analyst rated them at $6 something. But I'm not interested in THQI, I don't see the value, I see them as Midway 2. They might make for a good acquisition for a non-gaming company though since they're a publisher.

I'm not buying ERTS shares, I think ERTS is screwed for good, unless ATVI royally fucks up.

EDIT: About ATVI, there are few things that worry me, mainly outside of Blizzard; Prototype doesn't fit in their strategy (although I hope for them that it will sell well), having a skateboard peripheral for Tony Hawk is a big risk especially in a fucking recession, and that Blur racing game also doesn't fit in their strategy and it just makes no sense to begin with. So I'm starting to be a bit pessimistic. Other than for Blizzard.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah two or three weeks ago or so, at $8.84. I didn't read any buyout rumor today though, where did you see that? Anyway I bought them because I already made money on them before when EA made an offer, and like I said before TTWO will definitly be bought out eventually, there's not enough chances in their favor for them to grow significantly on their own, so management will see that and they'll accept an offer eventually. They fucked up big time by saying not to EA at $25.75 a share.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/30845077/site/14081545

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
THQI has been going up abnormally since some analyst rated them at $6 something. But I'm not interested in THQI, I don't see the value, I see them as Midway 2. They might make for a good acquisition for a non-gaming company though since they're a publisher.

Right, but the volume on Tuesday - the day UFC released - was roughly 5x the average volume.

RSTEIN

Gamestop getting the shit kicked out of it today. I don't trade based on fundamentals but I would never touch that company.

Zyzyxxz

RSTEIN said:
Gamestop getting the shit kicked out of it today. I don't trade based on fundamentals but I would never touch that company.

hmm never thought of trading based on what I thought of the company, seems my sense of business ethics is not as strong as yours.

Anyway everything going down today but the banks are still green, lucky for me.

kathode

CVH is pissing me off. I could probably sell it off by dropping 5 cents from my limit order, but that ends up being $300 from my proceeds.

TSN - Look at this fucking chart. This thing is mocking me.
21osk0h.jpg

"Ok ok I'll go down. Whoops! Just kidding. All right all right, you got me, I'm dropping. HA! Got you again!"

RSTEIN

kathode said:
CVH is pissing me off. I could probably sell it off by dropping 5 cents from my limit order, but that ends up being $300 from my proceeds.

TSN - Look at this fucking chart. This thing is mocking me.
21osk0h.jpg

"Ok ok I'll go down. Whoops! Just kidding. All right all right, you got me, I'm dropping. HA! Got you again!"

Watch out, strong stocks like that in bad days like today can explode if the market reverses around 3:00.

Ovid

RSTEIN said:
A stock drops 16% and you don't see that as a buying opportunity? They lower guidance for Q2, big deal. Does Gamestop ever do exceptionally well in the middle part of the year? I don't think so.

GERN keeps rising (it a high of $7.49 this morning). There is no new news on this company yet the stock price keeps going up. I wonder if I should sell my position or ride it out. I was planning to hold it for a couple of years, but if the stock plummets I could possibly buy in at a cheaper price.

RSTEIN

tarius1210 said:
A stock drops 16% and you don't see that as a buying opportunity? They lower guidance for Q2, big deal. Does Gamestop ever do exceptionally well in the middle part of the year? I don't think so.

I don't know if it's a buying opportunity or whatever. That's not really my approach. I'm just saying I hate Gamestop with a passion.

Let's say there's a company that drills for oil. At one of their drill sights there is an explosion. 200 babies are killed from the explosion. I'd rather buy that company than Gamestop.

Gamestop: worse than killing 200 babies.

kathode

Hit my limit for CVH, made right around 20%. Took 12% on FISV. TSN I couldn't get out of. It fell down to about a 1.5% loss, but really didn't move the option price that much. Then it came back up right towards the end. Very frustrating.

Tarazet

Zyzyxxz said:
hmm never thought of trading based on what I thought of the company, seems my sense of business ethics is not as strong as yours.

I'm with RSTEIN, I would rather trade Monsanto or tobacco companies than freaking Gamestop.

kathode

Well got out of TSN but had to take a 20% loss on the chin. It took quite a bite out of my gains from yesterday but I still made several hundred bucks all told. I think it was the right choice - they just got an upgrade today and shot up after my limit hit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ADSK up 11% after analyst mentions cost cutting measures.

About THQI, personally, I don't see potential. It's a gamble, could be good, who knows. Probably will be acquired eventually.

kathode

KO seeing a nice run-up. Might be in for some puts. On my five day view, RSI is reading around 85! :O

THQI - I'd avoid. It's reading as overbought looking at RSI and MACD. The UFC game might actually do ok, but I'd wait for it to relax a bit before diving in.

Barrett2

kathode said:
THQI - I'd avoid. It's reading as overbought looking at RSI and MACD. The UFC game might actually do ok, but I'd wait for it to relax a bit before diving in.

What do you see as a good price point for jumping into a small position?

kathode

lawblob said:
What do you see as a good price point for jumping into a small position?

It's really tough to say. I would at least wait until it comes down to the mid or low 5's. It just depends on how bullish you are on them. They could come out in a week and say UFC did awesome and sold a ton, and the stock could shoot up. Or they could not say anything about anything and just slowly glide down. You never know. All I can tell you is that when I look at them, they're up 10% this week alone, and up over 60% in the last month, so this isn't a stock I'd make a bet right away on continuing that kind of performance.

Zyzyxxz

OMG I woke up this morning to hear that the government will keep GM alive and the price was at 1.45!

30 minutes later after I'm fully awake its 1.70!

Dammit could have made an easy 20%

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm starting to have a bad feeling about Activision. Prototype, Blur, and Tony Hawk, are all bad ideas in my book. $120 for a skateboard game is ridiculous, and it takes up huge shelf space. It's like Guitar Hero where you can keep buying more music for it and extend its worth, it's not a game you would want to play with other people, etc. Big mistake. I'm thinking of selling my shares to come back after a big drop, but I'm hesitating because I think DJ Hero will do well and also COD6. Also, I don't see better ahead from EA anyway, so it's not like their position is threatened.

We'll see.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
Where did you hear that? No such story broke today.

my bad I heard the news wrong, but it seems that GM is now trying to avoid bankruptcy for real instead of letting it happen and I thought I heard the government would be willing to give them more money if they were serious.

Ether_Snake said:
I'm starting to have a bad feeling about Activision. Prototype, Blur, and Tony Hawk, are all bad ideas in my book. $120 for a skateboard game is ridiculous, and it takes up huge shelf space. It's like Guitar Hero where you can keep buying more music for it and extend its worth, it's not a game you would want to play with other people, etc. Big mistake. I'm thinking of selling my shares to come back after a big drop, but I'm hesitating because I think DJ Hero will do well and also COD6. Also, I don't see better ahead from EA anyway, so it's not like their position is threatened.

We'll see.

Same here, also the Activision execs sold off a ton of stock

http://www.*******.com/2009/05/25/report-activision-execs-sell-off-a-bunch-of-stock/

replace *** with *******

dionysus

Yaldog
I have been absent a while from this thread. So here is what I am currently in.

TTWO Long

EEV Long - Proshares UltraShort MSCI Emerging Markets ETF, means I am actually double short BRIC basically

Honda Motor Short

Bancolombia Long

DBB Long - Powershares DB Base Metals, mostly copper and zinc ETF.

Watchlist: ERTS, FIG (I missed a 600% return in a month. I came so close to buying it at $1 as a speculative play.)

Longterm I will be moving to protect myself against hyperinflation in the US and the cratering of the US economy. By longterm I mean 2 year horizon. I have already made some of these moves by buying into commodities. Recently I have gotten out of ATVI with a nice profit and I have removed all long exposure to industries currently in the US government's target sights.

RSTEIN

Been quiet but profitable last couple of weeks. Trades since last Monday:

05/18/2009 GILD Gilead Sciences, Inc. LONG -1.89%
05/19/2009 PEP PepsiCo, Inc. LONG 3.37%
05/19/2009 PG The Procter & Gamble Company LONG 7.64%
05/19/2009 F Ford Motor Company LONG 8.67%
05/20/2009 NSC Norfolk Southern Corp. LONG 7.88%
05/20/2009 COST Costco Wholesale Corporation SHORT -2.64%
05/20/2009 PEP PepsiCo, Inc. SHORT -1.98%
05/21/2009 DELL Dell Inc. LONG -2.26%
05/21/2009 GDTK General Dynamics Corporation PUT 21.58%
05/21/2009 KOTW The Coca-Cola Company PUT 8.40%
05/22/2009 CVHVD Coventry Health Care, Inc. PUT 8.35%
05/26/2009 NSC Norfolk Southern Corp. LONG 6.00%
05/26/2009 MA Mastercard Incorporated LONG -2.87%
05/26/2009 SOKO The Southern Company PUT 14.87%

Ovid

dionysus said:
Longterm I will be moving to protect myself against hyperinflation in the US and the cratering of the US economy. By longterm I mean 2 year horizon. I have already made some of these moves by buying into commodities.
I wouldn't about hyper inflation. As long as the Fed increases interest rates during the recovery period we'll be fine.

kathode

So yeah, I went really hard into puts yesterday and made about $15k worth of orders! Decided to sell out this afternoon of everything and take what I could. I was thinking the GM bankruptcy would depress things more when it finally comes but I think it might be just about priced in at this point.

KOTW Coca Cola Company 17% (~2x the position of everything else)
AVPVZ Avon Products 10%
XSQF Citrix Systems 6.4%
TAPVH Molson Coors Brewing Co -2.7%
CSCUH Computer Sciences Corp -4.3%

Not too shabby! TAP and CSC kept their heads above water most of the day and I didn't want to get stuck with them on the off chance of a rally. I set a too-conservative limit on XSQF and it hit while I was driving into work. Could've made 18-20% on that easily, but when I left this morning futures were up, the headline on marketwatch was "Worries in the rear-view now!" and I was thinking I'd have to commit ritual suicide within the week :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am making a KILLING on GM. I shorted those shares at like 1.60 and got like 2500 of them. Now it's at 0.78 and I am pulling out.What a fucking killing XD. .80 x 2500 = $2000. So happy XD.

dionysus

Yaldog
tarius1210 said:
I wouldn't about hyper inflation. As long as the Fed increases interest rates during the recovery period we'll be fine.

What are they going to raise it to? 17%? Cause that is what will be necessary to combat doubling the monetary base in 6 months.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think we've hit bottom, but greed is back and oooh how quick. Look at oil prices for fuck's sake. US dollar is worth shit right now, 1.40 compared to Euro. If Oil Prices keep growing we will be stuck in this situation for a while thanks to greedy motherfuckers. I really can't wait for the day we get the hell out of oil dependency. I give it like 5 years when newer technology finally hits the roads. Reall, it's stupid. A sign of recovery and speculation begins, playing right into the hands of the OPEC, which is practically price fixing, and no one dares to touch them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Relix said:
I am making a KILLING on GM. I shorted those shares at like 1.60 and got like 2500 of them. Now it's at 0.78 and I am pulling out.What a fucking killing XD. .80 x 2500 = $2000. So happy XD.

What does "shorting" mean?

kathode

I can't find much interesting out there. Some stuff looking overbought but I'm just nervous. I'm not sure the effect a GM bankruptcy will have, and supposedly the rumor is that they're filing on Monday.

dionysus

Yaldog
Relix said:
I think we've hit bottom, but greed is back and oooh how quick. Look at oil prices for fuck's sake. US dollar is worth shit right now, 1.40 compared to Euro. If Oil Prices keep growing we will be stuck in this situation for a while thanks to greedy motherfuckers. I really can't wait for the day we get the hell out of oil dependency. I give it like 5 years when newer technology finally hits the roads. Reall, it's stupid. A sign of recovery and speculation begins, playing right into the hands of the OPEC, which is practically price fixing, and no one dares to touch them.

First off, Europe is more foreign oil/gas dependant than the US. So I am not sure why you are implying that oil has something to do with the value of the greenback vs. the Euro. Second, oil dependancy has very little to do with the value of the dollar. If you want an explanation of why the dollar moves, I'll give you the 3 biggest influences: growth rate in the monetary base, relative interest rates, and the country's relative economic growth.

The scariest thing happening the US dollar right now is the monetizing of the national debt, ie the Fed printing money to buy US treasuries. This breaks 50+ years of Fed tradition and is a big no-no in countries with stable currencies. It is financial incest and should only happen in Banana Republics like Argentina and the like.

Edit. I should add a fourth influence on currencies. Stability and low political risk. It is actually the most important, but when comparing stable regions like the US and Europe it has no impact.

gkryhewy

Relix said:

The peak oil crowd said that as the global production peak was reached, we would see wild swings in prices, with high oil prices leading to recessions, bringing down prices, and then slapping down growth as prices rise again and again in response to ever more stunted recoveries.

I don't necessarily buy it, but it's looking prescient at the moment.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
gkrykewy said:
The peak oil crowd said that as the global production peak was reached, we would see wild swings in prices, with high oil prices leading to recessions, bringing down prices, and then slapping down growth as prices rise again and again in response to ever more stunted recoveries.

I don't necessarily buy it, but it's looking prescient at the moment.

Oh yeah I remember that stuff. Well, they are so far spot on :lol Let's see how that works in the next 3 or 4 months. When you look at it, its definitely logical.

mckmas8808

Relix said:
In a way you bet that the shares will go down. You sell a stock that you don't have, and then actually purchase it at a later time. Makes profit. You need a margin account to handle any loses since shorting is dangerous.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_(finance) Better explained.

So the other person sold the GM stock that he doesn't have for $1.78, but really buys it for $0.79 later on?

If that's the case then what do you do with the stock that you bought for real at $0.79?

Ether_Snake said:

We'll see.

You know, Activision only brings in 20% more of total revenue for ATVI than Blizzard (~60% vs. ~40%).

dionysus

Yaldog
mckmas8808 said:
So the other person sold the GM stock that he doesn't have for $1.78, but really buys it for $0.79 later on?

If that's the case then what do you do with the stock that you bought for real at $0.79?

A short is like a loan to you of cash that must be paid back in shares. You promise to give them (the dealer) X shares for Y money. Except you don't receive Y money until you give them back the X shares. So if you are able to purchase the X shares for less than Y money in the future, you have made money.

mckmas8808

dionysus said:
A short is like a loan to you of cash that must be paid back in shares. You promise to give them (the dealer) X shares for Y money. Except you don't receive Y money until you give them back the X shares. So if you are able to purchase the X shares for less than Y money in the future, you have made money.

Oh so they only care about the "number" of shares and not the amount of the cost per share?

dionysus

Yaldog
mckmas8808 said:
Oh so they only care about the "number" of shares and not the amount of the cost per share?

You only have to reimburse them in quantity of shares. If they lose 100% so be it. They will watch the change in share price from the short price though, so if you start losing to much money (the share price increasing) they will call you on the short and you will have to reimburse them the shares immediately.

Edit. I don't think they can limit their losses though other than the natural limit of 100% (a stock can't be worth less than 0). Correct me if I am wrong and the dealer can call you to reimburse them to limit their losses.

Top Bottom