• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Meier

Regretting dumping Citi when I finally did. :lol Also sold some of my AIG today and it's up another 10 cents, sheesh!

Ovid

Meier said:
Regretting dumping Citi when I finally did. :lol Also sold some of my AIG today and it's up another 10 cents, sheesh!
Isn't Citi's common stock going to be diluted at some point?

Wow...look at FAZ. That piece of shit is trading at 5 bucks now.

DIS up 12%.

tarius1210 said:
Isn't Citi's common stock going to be diluted at some point?

Wow...look at FAZ. That piece of shit is trading at 5 bucks now.

DIS up 12%.

:lol I bought FAZ at $17ish, sold at $13, and my girl started saying I don't have the patience to invest in stocks, buy more, dollar cost average, blah blah...now I show her where that piece of shit is at and she's speechless.

kathode

I sold my DOW puts for a 2% gain. Came close to selling WFMI puts (for another paltry profit) but held back and missed my chance this morning. CAT is still disgustingly green. Hasn't had a red day at all in over a week.

Javaman

PapiShasho said:
:lol I bought FAZ at $17ish, sold at $13, and my girl started saying I don't have the patience to invest in stocks, buy more, dollar cost average, blah blah...now I show her where that piece of shit is at and she's speechless.

She wanted you to short the market in the long term?

Javaman said:
She wanted you to short the market in the long term?

Yes, my girl doesn't really know about the market, she's just heard the common investing cliches, so she thought FAZ was a company or something, not a 3x inverse fund.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
I'm thinking of loading up on CGT prior to earnings on the 14th. I bought some last month and I know CGT doesn't move much after earnings are released but do think it will be different this time since investors are bit more optimistic about the economy?

I don't know really, I have no idea. CGT is often down on up days and vice versa, for whatever reason. I think it might be more related to the USD/CAD than anything else, I haven't checked. IMO the company has continued to demonstrate that they are serious and have good management, so that's all I need to know. I'm still down on it since I bought my shares at something like $10CAD a share and didn't have to average down again in a long time.

ERTS down after their earnings report, no big surprise to me. If they downsize enough I COULD see them being bought out eventually. Someone's gonna do it. But now is not the time IMO. Maybe after this holiday we'll be able to have a better idea on the real value of ERTS, or if it's still in panic mode and without a thought-out strategy.

ATVI earnings tomorrow, I never expect them to rally on good earnings, so whatever, I'm pretty confident in them in the long term anyway.

HON up 5.7% today.
STP up 8% + another 3.5% in AH. From $5 to $18 since March:p Of course, I'm actually in the red on that anyway.
BHI almost back to $40.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
I don't know really, I have no idea. CGT is often down on up days and vice versa, for whatever reason. I think it might be more related to the USD/CAD than anything else, I haven't checked.
You know what, I think your right. There seems to be some correlation between the value of the currency and the stock price.
2djeaki.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, that's it. Seems to be sort of a confidence issue unrelated directly to the company, so maybe the potential is really high and they are undeservedly unfavored by the currency's value.

Anyway they have been focused on diversifying for the past few years, relying less exclusively on the US and growing their operations in Europe and Asia. Seemed like it was working too last I heard. I don't pay enough attention to CGT, too confident in them;)

Zyzyxxz

PapiShasho said:
Yes, my girl doesn't really know about the market, she's just heard the common investing cliches, so she thought FAZ was a company or something, not a 3x inverse fund.

my mum is pretty dumbfounded when it comes to stocks, she really thinks just because it use to be so high it will get back there.

Good thing I am managing it after her bludner of buyign in BAC when it hit $20.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yes.... roll over market, roll over. EVEN THE MIGHTY CAT WILL FALL OH YES!!!

I swear, this is like fighting a Super Mutant Behemoth.

RSTEIN

ARGH QUESTRADE WENT DOWN I CANNOT TRAAAAAAAADE

Edit: CRISIS AVERTED!

Imagine that... waiting to take profits in my positions and then BAM trading platform goes down and market rallies again :lol

kathode

CAT puts are within 15 cents of my brake-even. Trying to decide to cut and run or stick around. I'll set a limit for a 10% profit and see what happens in a couple hours.

WFMI is the new super stock that won't go down. Luckily it was a smaller position.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
THQI up 23%, wtf? Just because it was upgraded by some analyst?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
RSTEIN said:
Yes.... roll over market, roll over. EVEN THE MIGHTY CAT WILL FALL OH YES!!!

I swear, this is like fighting a Super Mutant Behemoth.

Why do you want the market to go down?

kathode

The bid on CAT is 5 cents from my ask. I'm literally sitting here at my desk stomping my feet trying to get it to go that last little distance so I can stop worrying about it :lol

AAAAnnnd I'm DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2% gain!!!! Hooray!!! :D

Next up: I burn down a Whole Foods! Stay tuned!

Took a 3% loss to get out of WFMI.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
YEAH!

Activision beats earnings targets on strong sales, and it is up in AH after being up during the day as well, even after another conservative outlook. Shows confidence IMO:

Activision Blizzard Inc. beat Wall Street's earnings targets for the first quarter on strong sales of popular video-game franchises like "Guitar Hero," "Call of Duty" and "World of Warcraft."
However, the video-game publisher maintained a highly conservative outlook for the current quarter, despite a big slate of new game releases scheduled for the period.

ATVI rose nearly 3% in after-hours trading Thursday following the report.
"I think the numbers reflect the company's lineup of strong franchises, as well as the most conservative management team in the business," Todd Greenwald of Signal Hill Advisers said. "Q1's original guidance was also criticized for being overly conservative, and Q1 turned out pretty well."

For the quarter ended March 31, the company reported net income of $189 million, or 14 cents a share. Comparisons to last year's first quarter are not available, as the company had yet to consummate its reverse merger with Vivendi's video game unit that resulted in the creation of Activision Blizzard.

Earnings excluding the impact of deferred game sales and other charges came in at $111 million, or 8 cents a share. Analysts were expecting earnings of 5 cents a share for the period, according to consensus estimates from FactSet Research.

Revenue came in at $981 million. Excluding revenue deferred from online-enabled games, the company said its top line was $724 million. Analysts were expecting $598.5 million for the quarter.

The company said sales for the quarter were driven primarily by its top three game franchises: "Guitar Hero," "Call of Duty" and "World of Warcraft."

Conservative forecast

For the current quarter, Activision projected results that were below Wall Street's expectations. Revenue excluding deferred sales is expected to come in at $775 million, below the $840.6 million expected by analysts. The company also projected earnings of 6 cents a share, excluding charges -- a penny below the Street's target.

Activision has a relatively busy release slate for the second quarter. The company will release movie tie-ins for "X-Men Origins," "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs." In addition, the period will include a new third-person action game called "Prototype" and two new "Guitar Hero" titles.

In a conference call, Activision Publishing CEO Mike Griffith suggested that the retail environment was starting to improve.

And yeah did you guys miss my post earlier?

THQI up 20%!? On an upgrade?? Down 0.64% in AH only??

And oil companies assets being seize in Venezuela as the state nationalizes them.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
YEAH!

Activision beats earnings targets on strong sales, and it is up in AH after being up during the day as well, even after another conservative outlook. Shows confidence IMO:
Had an order to buy after hours but it didn't fill :(

RSTEIN

I just made two awesome trades. Bought RF and CSCO when they bounced off resistance. Already up 5% and 1%, respectively. All of my put positions are down but my longs are on fire (COV, XLP, SPY, CSCO, RF, PG).

Meier

Holy SHIT at FITB! I was so close to getting into it when I first opened my account... up over 2 bucks/40% today. Wow.

kathode

I got nothing but my darling little penny stock, now worth $0.0011/share :lol

Not sure if I'll jump in anything today. Normally I'd be buying up puts but I'm wary of getting burned in this market.

What do you guys use as your broker, and how much do they charge per trade?

I'm at Zecco, and I'm starting to get pissed off at their customer service and their trading platform.

I do like their cheap trades however. I'd be interested to hear your testimonials.

argon

tyguy20204 said:

I'm at Zecco, and I'm starting to get pissed off at their customer service and their trading platform.

I do like their cheap trades however. I'd be interested to hear your testimonials.

Scottrade is the way to go. $7 trades and excellent customer service.

Ovid

tyguy20204 said:

I use Scottrade for most of trades (especially if I get a day off and day trade). I use Zecco for penny stocks (like CBAI which is up 16% today btw) that are not available through Scottrade. And finally, I use Sharebuilder for long term holdings that I don't plan on selling in the near future. The commission for Sharebuilder's automatic investment plan is only $4 (just like Zecco). You can also link your ING Direct bank account directly to the website so that you can have fast free instant transfers.

Tarazet

Scottrade does hard credit inquiries when you try to open an account. They're the only broker I've ever encountered that did that.

Ovid

sonarrat said:
Scottrade does hard credit inquiries when you try to open an account. They're the only broker I've ever encountered that did that.
Very true. I checked my credit score recently and saw that they did do a credit inquiry when I opened an account with them. It didn't affect my credit score through. The same thing happened with Sharebuider when I applied to trade options with them.

Picked up DELL and the Q's (QQQQ) today. Going long with these.

Zyzyxxz

tyguy20204 said:

I use TDameritrade.

It performs orders quite fast, the site is easy to use, never tried using any of the research tool, because I do that outside of the site anyway.

$10 trades too.

alejob

LOL! This market is craaazy! I've been buying bank stocks and what do you know lol!

I'm up like 80% on wells fargo.

I sold my zions bank today. Go look at what that one has done the last few days.

Also sold BoA two days ago, yeah I'm kicking myself for that one.

I wish I had put more on them when I did. But overall :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone else think THQI's sudden rise, after a mere "upgrade", might be due to insider info? Another 13% today, on NOTHING AT ALL. It's totally unexplainable.

34hhrv6.jpg

I'm betting it's insider info. Something about a buyout or some such. Eidos and Midway being out of the picture, these guys and TTWO are next, no single doubt about it, especially as the market starts rallying the game will be played now or never you know? It's cheaper now than later, in fact in a lot of cases the recent rallies in the markets probably closed a whole lot of deals, everyone being too optimistic and able to ask for more.

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone else think THQI's sudden rise, after a mere "upgrade", might be due to insider info? Another 13% today, on NOTHING AT ALL. It's totally unexplainable.

I doubt it's insider info. I think THQ was priced essentially on the idea that they were about to go bankrupt. While the earnings data wasn't good by any stretch, it did show that they have been cutting costs and they are not in danger of imminent doom. Deutsche Bank put a $6 target on it, which is the same as Pachter maintains. So seeing it up in the $5 realm is in line with those expectations.

Bought GD puts again on Friday - same ticker as last time too. Down 2.5% so far. 15% gain on puts but looking for 20.

Ovid

The hell!!!!! FDO dropped below $30 this morning. Damn it, I could have picked up more shares. Now it's up 7%. Fuck.

Anyone have AT&T (T) in their portfolio? I like their financial statements.

RSTEIN

This is making the rounds... pretty awesome.

Video

She gets absolutely destroyed here in this little exchange.

Q: Do you know who received $1 trillion from the Federal Reserve?
A: For the... We're in the process of doing our review.
Q: But you're the inspector general... Who received the $1 trillion since September?
A: We do not know. We have not looked at that specific area.

Q: What about trillions of dollars of off balance sheet transations.
A: Well that's not really our jurisdiction.
Q: If you're not investigating the loans who's supposed to be investigating them?
A: Um... would you please repeat the question.
Q: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR LOOKING INTO ALL THIS MONEY??
A: I'm not really in a position to respond.

:lol :lol

Top Bottom