• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Degen said:
maybe you gamer investors can give me some extra insight on this...

investing in sony while they're (sort of) down: smart? stupid? no way to tell?

Depends on who you ask. I don't think there's many of us in this thread holding onto Sony stock.

I think they have learned a lot of lessons this gen and have shown that they have smartened up. I still don't think they know how to turn a good profit though.

hauton

I'm pissed at myself for not buying CRAY early yesterday.

I wasn't confident since the last stock I bought right before earnings has been doing pretty poorly.

:/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow I regret selling TTWO:(

Glad I sold ATVI a few weeks ago.

Glad I've kept ERTS:)

diddles

Banned
guys you're doing it wrong. you're not supposed to get emotional. no regretting, no wishing.

i'm taking a bit of a breather myself. it seems to me things are way too up and down right now to be able to make an educated guess about what to invest in.

Ether_Snake said:
Wow I regret selling TTWO:(

Glad I sold ATVI a few weeks ago.

Glad I've kept ERTS:)

My imaginary stock in EA on Investopedia is up 11pts from when I bought it...the better you do in this game, the more you're kicking yourself.

venne

End of an era for me.

Sold off all but 30% of my Ashland Chemical stock (ASH). It was my big breakout stock over the past couple years and I hate to let go, but I'd rather secure my profits as it's dividend isn't fat enough for me to hold onto it indefinitely.

Bought in at $7.13 and sold at $62.12.

/salute

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TheRagnCajun said:
My imaginary stock in EA on Investopedia is up 11pts from when I bought it...the better you do in this game, the more you're kicking yourself.

I'm up 34% on it, and in real life:)

And oil is tanking, as I expected! HA!

Anno

I'm liking my double-down on INTC prior to earnings even more now that they've announced their second 15%+ dividend increase in about 6 months. I'm up to yielding about 4.1% based on my entry point, plus the recent run up in price. Thinking of doing the same with MSFT next for largely the same reasons.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
venne said:
End of an era for me.

Sold off all but 30% of my Ashland Chemical stock (ASH). It was my big breakout stock over the past couple years and I hate to let go, but I'd rather secure my profits as it's dividend isn't fat enough for me to hold onto it indefinitely.

Bought in at $7.13 and sold at $62.12.

/salute

Damn

Anyway.. How long did you play with virtual money before you moved into the real world of trading?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TheRagnCajun said:
When did you buy in? I plan to buy IRL before battlefield 3 drops.

Quite a few months ago, I forget when. Bought some more on strong dips in the past.

bender_84

This has probably been asked before somewhere in the thread, but who's the best site to trade through(quickest money transfer and lower commissions)? Someone could just PM if they had a quick suggestion

Meier

Well I'm glad I held onto ATVI.. I'm back at break even finally lol. I saw someone put a target of $14 a share on it so I may just keep holding for a bit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Meier said:
Well I'm glad I held onto ATVI.. I'm back at break even finally lol. I saw someone put a target of $14 a share on it so I may just keep holding for a bit.

I'm glad I sold and held on ERTS! ERTS rise to heaven!:D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hope none of you owned ESLR (Evergreen Solar). It tanked 23% today. Got spooked that the same would happen to my STP, which is the worst stock I ever owned. I'm holding onto it until bankruptcy lol

And I'm now up 41% on ERTS. I have confidence in the company now, but from here on out I think it will ride the same waves as the broad market, unless another big player falls.

hauton

Ether_Snake said:
I hope none of you owned ESLR (Evergreen Solar). It tanked 23% today. Got spooked that the same would happen to my STP, which is the worst stock I ever owned. I'm holding onto it until bankruptcy lol

And I'm now up 41% on ERTS. I have confidence in the company now, but from here on out I think it will ride the same waves as the broad market, unless another big player falls.
I hope none of you owned RMBS lmfao

Neo C.

Question for Stock-GAF: Soros has sold his gold now, because he thinks the gold is at its peak. Paulson bets on rising oil and gold prices though. Who do you think is right on the money?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oil prices are falling. They CANNOT go up without taking the economy down, hence a correction must occur.

But gold might go up as a result.

Don't take my word for it though, gold is very high.

Neo C.

The interesting thing is though, that Paulson made a bet of both oil and gold going up. The deal only works in his favor when the correlation is there. That means, right now he is losing, but if the deal goes on a long time frame (I don't know about the details, unfortunately), perhaps he once again sees more than most of us, including Soros?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No idea., but damnit TTWO is going up like crazy again! I really hate myself now for selling it.

I still think Activision is going to buy them out. I was dumb of selling TTWO when I had good faith in it long term. At least I made good money on it (50%) return and now I'll just focus on ERTS.

Biff

So LinkedIn went public today, selling initial shares at $45.00

They are now at ~$86 with a volume of 6.5 million... At 10:15 am XD

Wowee.. Someone made a killing.

bender_84

Got all the way upt to $115 and paired some of those gains, but still sitting at 105 right now. Insane because most people including myself were thinking that $45 was too pricey for the stock. It's way overpriced now.

bender_84 said:
Got all the way upt to $115 and paired some of those gains, but still sitting at 105 right now. Insane because most people including myself were thinking that $45 was too pricey for the stock. It's way overpriced now.

If I had bought in at opening (which I had no intention to, and thus, did not buy any) I would have sold by now, personally. I can't imagine it staying above $80 in the short term.

venne

Slayer-33 said:
Anyway.. How long did you play with virtual money before you moved into the real world of trading?

Never did the virtual thing. I invest knowing I may lose the entire principal. That knowledge leads me to be cautious. I don't buy stocks that don't pay out what I perceive to be sustainable dividends which I DRIP into more shares. I'm not looking to get rich quick and, unless something crazy happens like the Ashland return, my holding period is forever. I don't want to search out the next breakout stock. I'd rather have my money in a company like Proctor & Gamble at a good entry point. Fortunately, I bought most of my holdings during the economic downturn which gave me solid values on solid companies.

I don't think I'd want to get into the current market. Out of my holdings, maybe MSFT at under $25 has some upside. Some of the valuations I see on some of my others give me pause, but like I said, I'm long term and mainly in it for dividend growth. I'll continue to put my kids' money in VIG as I find it to be a quality ETF with low fees. They won't see it for +15 years anyways.

Anno

Soka said:
If I had bought in at opening (which I had no intention to, and thus, did not buy any) I would have sold by now, personally. I can't imagine it staying above $80 in the short term.

The crazy thing is that if you had placed a market order as early as you possibly could you would've bought the stock for somewhere north of ~$85. All of the big brokerages who financed the IPO are the ones that made our with insane amounts of cash, even if they sold immediately. Well played to any individual investor who managed to get priced in at $45.

Diggin' my 8.45% move in RAVN today. Still my best buy ever and something I want to hold until I die.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wondering if I should sell ERTS. Up 41%. I have a lot of faith in them for the years ahead, little faith in ATVI, but who knows where the market could go.

Always difficult to decide between holding or selling.

Gallbaro

Banned
Anno said:
The crazy thing is that if you had placed a market order as early as you possibly could you would've bought the stock for somewhere north of ~$85. All of the big brokerages who financed the IPO are the ones that made our with insane amounts of cash, even if they sold immediately. Well played to any individual investor who managed to get priced in at $45.

Diggin' my 8.45% move in RAVN today. Still my best buy ever and something I want to hold until I die.

The stock was almost entirely sold to institutional investors, no retail participation in the IPO what-so-ever. Retail has to be the people buying into this 700x annualized earnings rally.

Also, what a gigantic fuck up on the genius investment bankers and private equity holders, look at all the fucking money they left on the table.

After meeting many investment bankers, there really is no skill or intelligence required in their trade

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Facebook could kill LinkedIn by doing a business side to FB that is separate from your friend profile.

In fact I thought of something like this recently. Basically, a sort of business card side to FB that you can let who you want, or anyone, look at, which would of course include resume, etc., or whatever you want to put up.

They are probably not smart enough to bother though.

hauton

Neo C. said:
Question for Stock-GAF: Soros has sold his gold now, because he thinks the gold is at its peak. Paulson bets on rising oil and gold prices though. Who do you think is right on the money?
Paulson also lost $75M single-day by betting on HPQ.

Ether_Snake said:
Facebook could kill LinkedIn by doing a business side to FB that is separate from your friend profile.

In fact I thought of something like this recently. Basically, a sort of business card side to FB that you can let who you want, or anyone, look at, which would of course include resume, etc., or whatever you want to put up.

That would go against everything Facebook is and would be terrible, imho.

Biff

Ether_Snake said:

I think it would have to be an entirely separate URL, with ties to Facebook only via a small 'Powered by Facebook' graphic under the site name.

As mentioned above, Facebook is a place to be dumb and like posts about meaningless garbage that would make most employers second guess their judgement of you as a person and professional. I try not to be too retarded with my Facebook activity, but I would definitely never let an employer or potential employer anywhere near my activity :p

Gallbaro said:
The stock was almost entirely sold to institutional investors, no retail participation in the IPO what-so-ever. Retail has to be the people buying into this 700x annualized earnings rally.

Also, what a gigantic fuck up on the genius investment bankers and private equity holders, look at all the fucking money they left on the table.
I was reading a post-mortem yesterday that was talking about analyst predictions. The 5% edge of the bell curve with the most aggressive estimates were around at the $60 mark :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My portfolio, in order of moneys spent. No stock represents more than 15% of my portfolio (note: that does not mean the top stock represents 15% :p )

coca cola (KO)
google (GOOG)
Wells Fargo (WFC)
wal mart (WMT)
Nintendo (NTDOY)
Amazon (AMZN)
Best Buy (BBY)
Microsoft (MSFT)
Target (TGT)
Kraft (KFT)
Apple (AAPL)
Campbell (CPB)
3M (MMM)
Intel (INTC)
General Electric (GE)
Costco (COST)
Nike (NIKE)
Nestle (NSRGY)
Exxon Mobile (XOM).

ChefRamsay said:
I think it would have to be an entirely separate URL, with ties to Facebook only via a small 'Powered by Facebook' graphic under the site name.

As mentioned above, Facebook is a place to be dumb and like posts about meaningless garbage that would make most employers second guess their judgement of you as a person and professional. I try not to be too retarded with my Facebook activity, but I would definitely never let an employer or potential employer anywhere near my activity :p

I think it would be a fantastic idea provided the user can easily keep the business profile and personal profile as connected or separate as they want. People are already using Facebook for professional networking. I'd argue people are using facebook for professional networking more than linkedin.

Biff

GaimeGuy said:
My portfolio, in order of moneys spent. No stock represents more than 15% of my portfolio (note: that does not mean the top stock represents 15% :p )

coca cola (KO)
google (GOOG)
Wells Fargo (WFC)
wal mart (WMT)
Nintendo (NTDOY)
Amazon (AMZN)
Best Buy (BBY)
Microsoft (MSFT)
Target (TGT)
Kraft (KFT)
Apple (AAPL)
Campbell (CPB)
3M (MMM)
Intel (INTC)
General Electric (GE)
Costco (COST)
Nike (NIKE)
Nestle (NSRGY)
Exxon Mobile (XOM).
May I ask why you have so many companies that directly compete with one another within the same industry?

Why not just pick the one you believe in more? Sell the other, reallocate towards that company. You clearly have the intelligence to do so, as you could have easily just bought a fund that tracks the S&P500 (as most of your stocks are well diversified S&P companies, even more so blue chips).. But you are obviously doing this because you think you can beat the S&P.

GaimeGuy

ChefRamsay said:
May I ask why you have so many companies that directly compete with one another within the same industry?

Why not just pick the one you believe in more? Sell the other, reallocate towards that company. You clearly have the intelligence to do so, as you could have easily just bought a fund that tracks the S&P500 (as most of your stocks are well diversified S&P companies, even more so blue chips).. But you are obviously doing this because you think you can beat the S&P.
I pick companies that I think have solid fundamentals. Whether or not they overlap is irrelevant for large retail chains. You'll note my overlap is primarily in that realm, and Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and Costco all have different niches they cater to. All have solid business models.

Gallbaro

Banned
GaimeGuy said:

coca cola (KO)
google (GOOG)
Wells Fargo (WFC)
wal mart (WMT)
Nintendo (NTDOY)
Amazon (AMZN)
Best Buy (BBY)
Microsoft (MSFT)
Target (TGT)
Kraft (KFT)
Apple (AAPL)
Campbell (CPB)
3M (MMM)
Intel (INTC)
General Electric (GE)
Costco (COST)
Nike (NIKE)
Nestle (NSRGY)
Exxon Mobile (XOM).

You might as well just buy a Dow 30 etf.

Ovid

GaimeGuy said:

coca cola (KO)
google (GOOG)
Wells Fargo (WFC)
wal mart (WMT)
Nintendo (NTDOY)
Amazon (AMZN)
Best Buy (BBY)
Microsoft (MSFT)
Target (TGT)
Kraft (KFT)
Apple (AAPL)
Campbell (CPB)
3M (MMM)
Intel (INTC)
General Electric (GE)
Costco (COST)
Nike (NIKE)
Nestle (NSRGY)
Exxon Mobile (XOM).
You need more exposure to the banking/financial and energy sectors.

Like Gallbaro said, you're better off buy an ETF.

GaimeGuy

oh don't worry, these are just my first purchases. I plan on expanding my portfolio with further purchases, this is just an initial 10K start.

(I have 10K in money market, 10K in my company retirement plan, plus 10K in this portfolio, and about 3-5k in my checking account at the moment)

boo7z

ChefRamsay said:
So LinkedIn went public today, selling initial shares at $45.00

They are now at ~$86 with a volume of 6.5 million... At 10:15 am XD

Wowee.. Someone made a killing.

It would be impossible to have purchased any reasonable number of shares at $45.00. Only the biggest investment firms and their biggest clients were able to buy at that price. And for the people that did, it would be very few shares.

boo7z

Ether_Snake said:
Wondering if I should sell ERTS. Up 41%. I have a lot of faith in them for the years ahead, little faith in ATVI, but who knows where the market could go.

Always difficult to decide between holding or selling.

Not in these times. You are never wrong for taking a profit.

Bulls and bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered.

I'd sell any video game stock if it's up right now. (Mad sell rush on ERTS right now - 5 mill volume)
ATVI will never break $12. It's fully manipulated by Vivendi. Worst game stock IMO.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugghh getting crushed this month. Also wanted to sell C before the reverse split but was distracted around that time and not checking my portfolio.

My whole board is red today.

LegoDad

scola said:
Ugghh getting crushed this month. Also wanted to sell C before the reverse split but was distracted around that time and not checking my portfolio.

My whole board is red today.

Cause Dow Jones down over 1%... Gotta have some lows to go back up.

Anno

The market had to take a breather at some point. It's been a crazy last year or more. With little in the way of impetus coming I wouldn't be surprised if the next few months are down to flattish. Which is good, because I've been running out of fairly priced targets. I'll be happy to reinvest my dividends and look out for some weakness.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How does Linked even make money? People visit the site to update some info once in a blue moon. I got a page and I don't update it because I don't care. When I'll be out of work, I'll visit it. But that means I'll have visited the site like three times in 5 years or so.

So what do they base their value on, and how do they even make money?

Top Bottom