• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just noticed, LNKD has a PE of 1087???? lol

My poor buddy:|

Flo_Evans

eeeek!~

Well my sndk@45 buy sucks :(

I still think they are in a good position, maybe because I still don't understand all the numbers. I kind of want to buy more? Am I crazy?

*waits for tag quote

Mixed day for me that would leave me pretty flat overall if not for COOL kicking ass. High-five, COOL.

Recently purchased a home and am thus in no situation to be buying any new stocks for a while, so all I do now is sit and wait. Might sell some things here or there, such as COOL in the next day or two (earnings report tonight I believe) and use that cash to purchase something, but really, I see no good buys right now.

Meadows

Banned
Okay guys, I've saved up £2000 of hard earned money ($3250) and want to invest it in some businesses, so if you could answer questions to my following questions, I'd appreciate it!

1) Is the market good for a newbie right now? Are we still too volatile or are the green shoots growing?

2) What's a good commodity? I was thinking Eurasian Copper, but this is already high in price.

3) How is CNBC as a source of good tips? I watch Asia Squawk box when I can't get to sleep and I love it (I'll be going to Taiwan this summer!)

4) What's a good UK web trader?

5) I've read the OP but has anyone got some links too particularly good starting guides/videos?

Thanks for your help!

Mikey Jr.

Absolute green fucking newbie here. Read the OP, but have a quick question.

What is the minimum amount of money that I need in order to tinker around with stocks? I don't plan on making money, just want to use that money to see how stocks work. Experience is the best teacher, right?

Anno

Mikey Jr. said:
Absolute green fucking newbie here. Read the OP, but have a quick question.

What is the minimum amount of money that I need in order to tinker around with stocks? I don't plan on making money, just want to use that money to see how stocks work. Experience is the best teacher, right?

I guess that depends on how you want to do it and what your timeline is. I started back in October 2009 with about $4000 and have been gradually adding since then and I've done pretty well. You just have to watch fees more if you have a lower capital base and it becomes harder to be truly diversified.

If you really just want to practice I'd suggest one of the fake-money investing simulators. If you just want to dive on in you can either look into starting with something simple and diverse like an SP500 fund/ETF or just be ready for increased volatility in your limited number of holdings if you want to go into individual stocks.

You might also look into stuff like company-sponsored direct DRIP plans that let you buy stock directly from companies, many times with no fees, a very little at a time. This lets you average your way into a stock over a long period of time which has been shown to reduce volatility.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mikey Jr. said:
I don't plan on making money, just want to use that money to see how stocks work. Experience is the best teacher, right?
Losing money is something I'm sure you have experienced before and it makes no sense to throw more money away.

I'd take a serious look at the fake money investment games and only make decisions you feel comfortable with.

unomas

Banned
Not a single penny in any stock, this is going to be one hell of a crash. QE3 up to bat next, I've got almost all my money in physical silver. Hopefully the bottom falls out of silver so I can buy a ton more soon, I'd love to see $10 an ounce silver.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Serious question here.
Why not simply sell short on some stocks?
I would find it very hard to believe some of the larger companies would actually go bankrupt.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm so tempted to put more money in STP just to reduce my losses on this one. Worst stock ever. Other than this one I could sleep on the other ones. Solar energy is so unpredictable.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Investopedia game. I checked my ranking. Slowly going back up on the US side.

On CAD side I was dead last. But now?

1. Ether_Snake
$401,400.77
+$320,975.00
+301.40%

lol

Just a bug:(

Biff

unomas said:
Not a single penny in any stock, this is going to be one hell of a crash. QE3 up to bat next, I've got almost all my money in physical silver. Hopefully the bottom falls out of silver so I can buy a ton more soon, I'd love to see $10 an ounce silver.
Well the crash will only happen if Greece fails. IMF announced today they wouldn't get in the way of 12 billion euro of international loans to prevent a default.. The foundations are in place to save Greece. They have a month to make it happen and since Greece would most likely take other EU countries down with them a default is very unlikely IMO.

Takuan

I put all my eggs in one basket and am currently down 30-40%. I do not see this stock going back up again for the short term. Do I cut my losses now, wait for it to bottom out and buy back in to recoup?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Can't tell you what to do though.

RIMM down 15%.

Takuan said:
I put all my eggs in one basket and am currently down 30-40%. I do not see this stock going back up again for the short term. Do I cut my losses now, wait for it to bottom out and buy back in to recoup?
like rule one of investing is diversify... why the heck would you put all your money in one basket

anyone see rim drop? maybe good time to go in?

Gallbaro

Banned
Takuan said:
You realize that 40% is not coming back anytime soon and diversify your holdings, expecting normal gains from now on.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BTW, I wanted to mention one thing about the "analysis" I got in this thread:

tarius1210 said:
You need more exposure to the banking/financial and energy sectors.

Like Gallbaro said, you're better off buy an ETF.
Why in the blue hell would I want to expose myself to all the volatile shit in the finance and banking sectors? Every ten or twenty years or so there's some kind of massive financial crisis or scandal that wipes out billions of dollars because some jackasses got careless playing with money and bring down everyone else with them.

That's really what the finance and banking fields are about. Playing with what we as a society use as stores of value, units of account, mediums of exchange, and a standard method to settle a debt. Naturally there's going to be a lot of money and wealth tied up in such industries, but the circular dependencies on money and wealth and value introduced in industries which are basically all about manipulating these things to their own benefit just means shit's going to hit the fan a lot harder when it does, and it typically will propagate to other industries and fields, too.

I recognize that finance is an essential part of the economy, but because it revolves around the manipulation of money, there's a whole lot of perceived, intangible value to its operations. The value of the products, services, or assets being financed and produced is what is actually important and creates wealth, not the finance in and of itself.

Basically, when there's a financial crisis, an economic bust happens and really, really, REALLY fucking hurts. I think it makes more sense to invest in the goods and services themselves rather than the financing mechanisms, and that it's probably more reflective of the capital in general. The success of the heart of the economy does translate over into success for financial companies, but finance is basically a barely stable gas heated under pressure in a bottle. All it needs is a little tap (failure) and there's a huge violent explosion that damages everything around it.

Anno

I agree that not everyone needs to be exposed to every sector out there. That said I also don't think you should completely write off the entire bunch. If you don't like banks look into something less risky and more "sticky" like insurance companies or thrifts. I'm doing some digging into Aflac right now just because I think it's been punished far too much by the situation in Japan and their portfolio de-risking. It'd be a hell of a company to pick up so near it's 52wk low.

GaimeGuy

Anno said:
I agree that not everyone needs to be exposed to every sector out there. That said I also don't think you should completely write off the entire bunch. If you don't like banks look into something less risky and more "sticky" like insurance companies or thrifts. I'm doing some digging into Aflac right now just because I think it's been punished far too much by the situation in Japan and their portfolio de-risking. It'd be a hell of a company to pick up so near it's 52wk low.
that's actually one of the companies I'm looking into.

And if you look at my portfolio, Wells Fargo is actually one of my top investments (I'll mention right now: It's about 8% of my portfolio)

Cloudy

Banned
videogamer said:

I wouldn't. Where exactly is the upside for this company moving forward? They are losing marketshare at an alarming rate and I don't think the freefall is over

videogamer said:
like rule one of investing is diversify... why the heck would you put all your money in one basket

There's a good reason RIM is dropping, its not because of frivilous short-sighted investors. I don't know what hope that company has for the future.

Xapati

Any Americans who live abroad and invest money? How do you deal with US taxes? I think the reason I never looked into investing is because filling out US taxes is a nightmare if you live outside the US.

giga

ChefRamsay said:
RIM under $40 is a freaking steal.

Crazy rebound on the way. A P/E of 6.45 is herp derp low.
notamused.jpg

Biff

giga said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96085/notamused.jpg
Ya win some ya lose some. I just hope no GAFers bought RIM based on a random 2 line forum post they saw. No one would do that, right? Right?

Analysts at JPM were saying the same thing as me two weeks ago. And they make $250k+ a year. I make $0.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anno

So what are everyone's thoughts on the coming weeks and months? Part of me thinks that if we can get the Greece situation sorted out this weekend and get into earnings season, where hopefully we'll see some good numbers, it can be a trading-range bound summer followed by a better fall/winter, as per normal. Right now I'm about 25% in cash waiting to see where some of my targets end up in the next month or so. Hoping to pick up a few deals.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think we are going to see worst before we see better, at least before the end of the year. On the very short term things might pick up as the Greece situation appears to be factored in already, but my problem right now is with the US itself, and a few other European countries.

As long as employment doesn't improve, oil prices remain high, and we continue to trade massively with countries that use dangerously low currencies, we are fucked.

What we need is an international agreement among the industrialized nations that they will no longer trade with countries that aren't democracies, with free elections, where people can form unions, etc. Otherwise it's completely unfair and we will end up on the losing end. You can't trade with a country that doesn't have elections and which can arrest people who ask for higher wages. This is the real solution for the world economy.

Ketchup Boy

Ether_Snake said:
I think we are going to see worst before we see better, at least before the end of the year. On the very short term things might pick up as the Greece situation appears to be factored in already, but my problem right now is with the US itself, and a few other European countries.

As long as employment doesn't improve, oil prices remain high, and we continue to trade massively with countries that use dangerously low currencies, we are fucked.

What we need is an international agreement among the industrialized nations that they will no longer trade with countries that aren't democracies, with free elections, where people can form unions, etc. Otherwise it's completely unfair and we will end up on the losing end. You can't trade with a country that doesn't have elections and which can arrest people who ask for higher wages. This is the real solution for the world economy.

lol uhh China says hello. We're so intertwined with them its not even funny.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ketchup Boy said:
lol uhh China says hello. We're so intertwined with them its not even funny.

And if they were a Democracy the America and Europe would be better off because competition would be fair.

Next thing you know we'll compete with a slave-alien race from Mars, and somehow people will still claim it's fair trade.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Go CAE!

I love this company:)

HPQ GOOG SNDK ADSK on the top of my watch list. I'm not very confident in the economy so I think we have lower to fall but if I have to put my money in anything, I'll put some in PBR and MON which I already own, and maybe one of those. HPQ being the less likely since I don't understand it enough, same with SNDK.

GaimeGuy

Flo_Evans said:
Bought some google... hold me!
In my opinion, google is an excellent investment. It specializes in electronic marketing solutions (to simplify it as much as possible). That's a business that isn't going anywhere for a long, long time. Plus they're dipping their fingers all over the place too. telecommunications, ISPs, energy, vehicles...

It's what most people were looking for during the dot com bubble, to be honest.

Flo_Evans

GaimeGuy said:
In my opinion, google is an excellent investment. It specializes in electronic marketing solutions (to simplify it as much as possible). That's a business that isn't going anywhere for a long, long time. Plus they're dipping their fingers all over the place too. telecommunications, ISPs, energy, vehicles...

I've wanted to own it for along time. I actually wanted to get in on the IPO but I didn't have any cash when that happened.

I actually think right now they have their fingers in too many pies... allot of stuff they have done recently seems reactionary vs. leading. I think they are making so much money though that they are spreading their wings, trying to be everything to all people instead of maximizing their core business model.

At the end of the day though they have what plants crave, (consumer information, and a channel to push ads) even if they stumble around a bit they will be alright.

Wish I had more money to play with, I am basically taking the "extra" cash sitting in my savings account earning .003% and buying some long/medium term stocks that I like.

edit: wish I would of bought today rather than friday though! :(

RevoDS

What's the best online broker in Canada? My bank (BMO) requires an initial investment of $5000 to open an account, and I've only got around $3000 to invest. And there were those pesky $29 a trade fees anyway...

I've researched it a little, and it seems QuesTrade is a winner, but I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked another, better one.

Also, one question about QuesTrade (or whichever broker you suggest): The dividend reinvestment requires you to be able to buy a full share to take advantage of it; if I don't reinvest them directly, does the money just get added to my account or do I get mailed a check every three months for whatever I've earned in dividends?

Biff

GaimeGuy said:

As long as Google keeps branching away from the Internet and into all those things you mentioned I wholeheartedly agree.

For people who have studied Kondratieff waves you'll know that we're in the Information Technology wave. The Dot Com burst was the peak. All these e-IPOs bursting now are just a reinforcing sign of what's to come. It is likely that we are in a downtrend already. And these are 50 year waves we're talking, so you can't just look at events in the past month, you have to look at the entire cycle.

Kondratieff_Wave.svg

By 2025-2030, IT firms will go the wayside of American (Fordist) car manufacturers. Google isn't showing these effects because, as you mentioned, they are (wisely) investing heavily in multiple industries.

Roofy

RevoDS said:
What's the best online broker in Canada? My bank (BMO) requires an initial investment of $5000 to open an account, and I've only got around $3000 to invest. And there were those pesky $29 a trade fees anyway...

I've researched it a little, and it seems QuesTrade is a winner, but I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked another, better one.

Also, one question about QuesTrade (or whichever broker you suggest): The dividend reinvestment requires you to be able to buy a full share to take advantage of it; if I don't reinvest them directly, does the money just get added to my account or do I get mailed a check every three months for whatever I've earned in dividends?

Questrade is what I use. CIBC is my bank and it was easy and quick to transfer over the funds. They seem to be the best bet for canadians. sorry i dont know much about the divident policy, none of my stocks pay out dividends

RevoDS said:

Its deposited as cash in your account. I use Questrade and I have no complaints.

bob page

Ether_Snake said:
Go CAE!

I love this company:)

HPQ GOOG SNDK ADSK on the top of my watch list. I'm not very confident in the economy so I think we have lower to fall but if I have to put my money in anything, I'll put some in PBR and MON which I already own, and maybe one of those. HPQ being the less likely since I don't understand it enough, same with SNDK.
CAE was one of my next picks once I get more money- it definitely looks reliable.

And wooo, tech stocks are killing it today (finally).

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Things have been volatile for me.

I'm up 3.5% on my crazy mutual funds but I'm down (-2.86%) on my ira witch has most of my investment money. I'm not doing anything crazy but I am worried. I'm just happy I only invest a small fraction of my savings in stocks. This shit is too volatile.

Dartastic

Phew, Netflix and Apple are rebounding today. I'm still doing well on Netflix, but kinda sucking it hard on Apple. Bought it at 340. Should have gotten rid of it, but at least I see it hitting that 340 level again. Netflix is doing good though... I think I'll sell it when it gets back to 260.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
To add to STP or not, difficult decision. I bought it a few years ago at 17.49 and it's now trading at 7.85. PE is low. But governments are unlikely to finance anything in this economy, all they talk about is cutting spending. But I need to average down.

Anno

Solar is such a difficult call right now that I'm honestly not even interested in directly investing in it. I don't doubt its potential but it seems impossible to call who will eventually make the breakthrough that completes the technology. With the likes of GE and maybe even Intel entering the market I'm happy to stay on the sidelines. Interesting sidenote: did you know that Waste Management produces about 10x as much electricity from its various waste-related plants than the entire solar industry? Apparently it's just about as cheap and clean as well. Interesting stuff.

Things have been volatile for me.

I'm up 3.5% on my crazy mutual funds but I'm down (-2.86%) on my ira witch has most of my investment money. I'm not doing anything crazy but I am worried. I'm just happy I only invest a small fraction of my savings in stocks. This shit is too volatile.

What's your timeline? For your IRA, 2.86% is nothing because it's all in the short term. Assuming you are still confident in the underlying companies you've invested in I'd try not to worry about such short term swings. It's not worth the high blood pressure.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anno said:
Solar is such a difficult call right now that I'm honestly not even interested in directly investing in it. I don't doubt its potential but it seems impossible to call who will eventually make the breakthrough that completes the technology. With the likes of GE and maybe even Intel entering the market I'm happy to stay on the sidelines. Interesting sidenote: did you know that Waste Management produces about 10x as much electricity from its various waste-related plants than the entire solar industry? Apparently it's just about as cheap and clean as well. Interesting stuff.

The thing is people always make the same mistake you just made when speaking about solar. People think "solar power plant" VS "other power plants". Fact is solar cells are getting more efficient all the time, and they can be printed on almost anything.

Spray-On Solar Window Unveiled

Maryland and Florida, USA – Last week, New Energy Technologies Inc. showed its technology that enables glass to generate electricity through spray-on solar PV to investors and members of the media.

The technology, which is called the SolarWindow, aims to provide solar energy to building facades by spraying an electricity-generating coating on to glass. During the demonstration, the researchers compared the cost of the SolarWindow technology to traditional rooftop solar systems saying that the SolarWindow technology provides up to three times more savings in electricity costs.

And that's just one example. Almost any surface around you could become an energy-production unit when covered in photovoltaic cells. The whole frame of your average handheld device could be covered in PV cells and generate electricity. Your bicycle. Your car. Your backyard's fence. Anything.

Miniaturization should allow solar to go much further than most imagine, something that isn't as feasible with other forms of energy production units that require fuel to be stocked somewhere, usually in large quantities.

You can't attach a garbage bag to power your iPhone:p

I'm really bullish on solar energy itself, but the thing is it has been dragging its feet excessively because of lack oil and nuclear energy is easily accessible. So it's difficult to say "yeah I'll invest now and benefit from this in two or three years". There's no way to know.

The only thing that makes me not too hesitant to put more money in STP is the low P/E, but it's low overall in the sector as a whole. It might not be the best time right now, I think oil will fall because the economy will head into shit again soon, so solar won't benefit on the short term.

Anno

Oh, I'm not necessarily comparing solar directly to more conventional forms of energy. I completely agree that it's a place that will see ridiculously huge advancements over the next decade or so. I'm just not confident enough in any one company, or even a handful of companies, to commit my investing dollars. The point about WM was just something I think is interesting.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I agree same issue for me, I can't pick a company in particular, especially since a couple of them are Chinese.

One thing they got going for them now is the lessened interest in nuclear power, which is definitly a good thing for solar. But the real advancement for solar energy will have to come from non-powerplant-related uses. Everyone should own devices that produce energy from the sun, either their handhelds or something on their houses. It's not the big deserts turned into solar energy factories that will bring the sector forward, it's the smaller stuff.

If I have some extra cash I'll go for it. I bought at 17 and it's now at 7 or 8$ so at least it will average down decently.

edit: Ugh, I'd have to average down a lot just to get back to -39%, from -55%.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
caliblue15 how come you are up so much in the Investopedia game? Every time I look at your stocks they aren't doing THAT good.

Gallbaro: How did you make all those picks? They turned out all great except for MERC and DSX.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was thinking Activision would give it a shot. We'll see.

BTW why the heck is Gold following the markets? Usually bad news means gold goes up.

edit: And the economy is crapped.

Top Bottom