• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Ether_Snake said:
How much did it cost you in transaction costs?

Shouldn't panic like that.

I had 10k cash in account and bought 8k shares at 1.13 so that's $9,040 I had $955 left after that.

I guess it wasn't that much I forgot the number.

tarius1210 said:
Didn't I tell not to gamble with penny stocks two pages ago? You're a beginner, what are you doing man? Don't fuck with penny stocks dude.

I know bro lol! I was planning to get out after $3-4k profit but got greedy and waited til $2.00

I should have never allowed that to happen, I went in with the purpose of cashing in 4-5k quick, I def should have put a sell order at $1.85 or some shit it would have sold.

hauton

Any thoughts on THQI right now?

I think despite the critical reception, Homefront has been a solid success WW already. However, I'm not as confident in its legs long-term, as its online success has been relatively muted (I'm not seeing it do too well on Steam or XBL activity charts).

Otherwise, their upcoming lineup looks decent enough, with titles like Saint's Row 3 getting a bit of hype - I'm expecting a solid sales figure as its has been in the past. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine looks interesting too, as it's a shift for both Relic and the licensed franchise, going from PC-only to console multiplatform and RTS to third-person action.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think THQ is in a better position than some time ago, but I can't say if they are going to bring enough profits to see their shares rise. Confidence in the industry is low, and they are playing catchup. Their lineup is good, but nothing stellar in there to really bring confidence. If they downsized enough by now maybe their current lineup will be enough to bring them to good earnings.

Slayer-33 said:
I had 10k cash in account and bought 8k shares at 1.13 so that's $9,040 I had $955 left after that.

I guess it wasn't that much I forgot the number.

I know bro lol! I was planning to get out after $3-4k profit but got greedy and waited til $2.00

I should have never allowed that to happen, I went in with the purpose of cashing in 4-5k quick, I def should have put a sell order at $1.85 or some shit it would have sold.

You just started trading and you spent over 90% of your capital on one stock?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
crimzonflame said:
You just started trading and you spent over 90% of your capital on one stock?
Never again.

I expected the thing to rise like it did though.. It was obvious but greed didn't net me anything. Plus some strategic mistakes I made, I didn't track that other stock that had risen to $10 per share over the last weeks till yesterday, if i had been tracking I would have seen it plummet and sold my LTUM shares right away (LEXG.OB) is the one I should have kept my eye on while trading today.

I called ELTP.OB a few weeks ago a few pages back, If I had jumped on that I would have pulled out $40,000 give or take, I was going to buy at 0.05 cents, the stock has been steady at or near 0.20 cents for a week and a half already my money just didn't clear fast enough.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks like investigations against Google by the FTC are going forward.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
crimzonflame said:
What did you base these expectations on?
It was based on how high LEXG.OB rose to and because the companies are pretty much identical when it came to their access to lithium resources.

It was risky to assume that it was going to rise but i took the chance, I should just have sold for the decent profit but it was foolish to think that it was going to get to $2 a share w/o a pullback.

LTUM rose from 0.24 to 1.03 before yesterday and rose to a peak of 1.92 yesterday.

Biff

Slayer-33 said:
It was based on how high LEXG.OB rose to and because the companies are pretty much identical when it came to their access to lithium resources.

It was risky to assume that it was going to rise but i took the chance, I should just have sold for the decent profit but it was foolish to think that it was going to get to $2 a share w/o a pullback.

LTUM rose from 0.24 to 1.03 before yesterday and rose to a peak of 1.92 yesterday.
Jesus Christ.... Where do you get your info from? Twitter $LTUM 'tips'?

This is clearly money you can lose so you probably won't take my advice but you are a fool for playing penny stocks based on so very little research (let alone just for playing penny stocks). May as well just go to a roulette table and place your savings account on black. Dead serious.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
ChefRamsay said:
Jesus Christ.... Where do you get your info from? Twitter $LTUM 'tips'?

This is clearly money you can lose so you probably won't take my advice but you are a fool for playing penny stocks based on so very little research (let alone just for playing penny stocks). May as well just go to a roulette table and place your savings account on black. Dead serious.
LOL lesson learned today.

I'm going to focus on real stocks from now on lol.

Gallbaro

Banned
The market will go up tomorrow because the funds and traders on the street will not let it close down after the news. Pure and simple.

hauton

Fundamentals-wise, I'm staring at RIMM with my jaws dropped.

6.35 EPS? 7.60 P/E? Some of these figures are mind-boggling to me.

Then I go to the Option Chain and see that there's still substantial interest in seeing it go down.

Anyone have any thoughts?

hauton said:
Fundamentals-wise, I'm staring at RIMM with my jaws dropped.

6.35 EPS? 7.60 P/E? Some of these figures are mind-boggling to me.

Then I go to the Option Chain and see that there's still substantial interest in seeing it go down.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I think the dilema is in the qualitive and speculative aspects of RIMM. They cornered the business phone market, and have been unable to expand. Tech-wise they can't keep up with their competitors and have been enjoying sucess on borrowed time on account of the fact that no one else has attempted to enter their bubble.

Rather than steping up their game they have decided to open their server system to competitors. Its like a conditional surrender. At this rate I would expect them to look for a buy offer soon. /armchair annalyst.

Scarecrow

I want to invest in gold and/or silver, but don't know which sectors I should be looking at. When looking into raw materials, what should I be focusing on? producers? mines? shops?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Out of curiosity, what is everyone's investment/stock/finance news site of choice?

Hey guys, can anyone recommend me a good direct access brokerage? I'm sick of my old TD Ameritrade account, I used to only do investments/position trades but now I'm getting kind of serious about day trading and the $10 per trade commissions aren't going to cut it. I've heard good things about Interactive Brokers, but I don't quite have the 100 completed trades under my belt that are required for opening an account with them.

bob page said:
Google Finance
Bloomberg

Ditto. Bloomberg's television station is one of my favorite things to watch on the rare occasion I am watching TV. Their website is obviously my main source of accessing them, though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
COOL short looking good.
Bought at 3.90, it is down to ~3.35 right now.

Stock game, not real money, but man it gets you thinking 'if I put in real money'.
Of course I'm sure I'd act like an idiot if it was real money.

*Got out at 3.41 :)

bob page

Hazaro said:
COOL short looking good.
Bought at 3.90, it is down to ~3.35 right now.

Stock game, not real money, but man it gets you thinking 'if I put in real money'.
Of course I'm sure I'd act like an idiot if it was real money.

*Got out at 3.41 :)
What's the deal with COOL? It seems to go up/down 4% every day for absolutely no reason. It's down 10% today.

Sirius' earnings release is today, too. Interested in seeing how it changes at this point.

bob page said:
What's the deal with COOL? It seems to go up/down 4% every day for absolutely no reason. It's down 10% today.

Sirius' earnings release is today, too. Interested in seeing how it changes at this point.

Its a widly fluctuating stock that no one seems to understand. =P

bender_84

So OCZ just released their earnings and I'm sifting through it, wanted to see if you guys had some opinion about how they clarifie their earnings. If I'm reading their earnings report right, they listed a GAAP net loss of .27/share and a non GAAP net loss of .02. The average estimate for their earning report was -0.03/share. The GAAP number per share is the one that analyst compare to their estimate of -.03/share, right? So OCZ really missed their estimates for the past quarter......no wonder the stock was down 10% in after hours trading(though only 5% now).

Not really thinking of selling, bought OCZ to hold for quite a while since I think SSD's market will grow a lot, just wanted to get clarification on that earnings they released. Also, if they gave an estimate for 2012 in line with analyst and their SSD revenue and sales were quite a bit, isn't a 10% stock sell off a bit extreme or did they really miss their estimates by that much?

Flo_Evans

Put in my 1st order! OMG

SNDK @$45... good/bad?

Flash memory seems to be hot, with all the tablets and smartphones coming out. Maybe there is a better place in the market to be though? deeper in the supply chain?

I've always liked sandisk memory cards...

hauton

Bailed out of THQI today @ $4.45, from $4.02 entry.

I was early going in (really coulda/shoulda waited until it dropped past $4.00), and I'm probably early coming out, but I'm satisfied and reexamination of the company's strategy and product lineup leaves me less confident than I was before.

bender_84

OCZ dropped 10% earlier. Considering the huge drop they had 1-2 weeks ago and now this drop, I added more stock to the portfolio. Stock has already moved up to just a 6% loss so I at least got a 4% gain out of the tumble and I'm pretty bullish on OCZ after reading through their earnings report. Past quarter was pretty rough but their forecasted sales and earnings makes me thing it'll shoot way up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is not normal:

2a79xyp.jpg

Probably won't be investigated.

And is it me or has the Canadian stocks been going downhill for the past few weeks? I had a lot of Canadian stocks that were up big time on the Investopedia game and they are now almost all in the red.

hauton

Ether_Snake said:
This is not normal:

2a79xyp.jpg

And is it me or has the Canadian stocks been going downhill for the past few weeks? I had a lot of Canadian stocks that were up big time on the Investopedia game and they are now almost all in the red.
Yeah I was curious about that.

Earnings were released end of trading yesterday. Subsequently, after hours began showing a huge dropoff, from its $4.12 close to a low of $3.60. Throughout the night and during pre-market trading, that slide eased back up to $4.00, leading to its day open at $4.08. That maintained itself for a while before that massive rally.

My take? Bears, dismayed by the earnings report that beat expectations, tried to wait things out. When they realized the stock wasn't as weak as they had imagined, and it wasn't really dropping in support, they decided to cut losses. A small-cap stock with 99% institutional ownership and a 9+ days to cover (as of 15/Apr)? Sounds like conditions for a short squeeze.

End of the day, I made out alright, which is all I can worry about :p

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Ether_Snake said:
This is not normal:

2a79xyp.jpg

I don't know what's going on for TSX stocks this week.

Is Bay St as sad about the election results as I am?

Is it the drop in silver and the mild drops on gold and oil?

Is it just everyone selling in May and going away?

Who knows?

I'll be buying more if prices slide a bit further.

hauton

Fatghost said:
I don't know what's going on for TSX stocks this week.

Is Bay St as sad about the election results as I am?

Is it the drop in silver and the mild drops on gold and oil?

Is it just everyone selling in May and going away?

Who knows?

I'll be buying more if prices slide a bit further.
If your exchange is heavy on commodities, and commodities drop...

EDIT: If Harper didn't win a majority I'm pretty sure markets would've slid. Even more if Layton formed gov't and became PM.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I'm guessing there is a drop in commodities.

And it's nice to see ERTS up 7% today after earnings. They are on the right track to take the #1 spot back in the game sector.

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah I'm guessing there is a drop in commodities.

And it's nice to see ERTS up 7% today after earnings. They are on the right track to take the #1 spot back in the game sector.

Yeah they're seeing a nice bump today. I'm kind of hoping for a summer slump so I can jump in before shit goes down.

Has anyone been researching Lithium? I'm eyeing a few companies that are set up to do well as the hybrid/electric automotive industry picks up. Probably the most concerning thing right now is I've been getting spam emails from a few of them. I don't want to get suckered into being the pig. I do think Lithium has a bright future though.

Flo_Evans

grrr... Sandisk never meet my limit price... must be patient... want to buy something lol

Total n00b question sorry:

What is the difference between limit and stop orders? From what I can tell limit means only below a set price, but stop just starts buying once it hits the price and can go over/under?

hauton

lol I've been playing chicken with a stock for the better part of today.

It partially filled 300/475 but it's gone up intraday and its not coming back down. :/

I guess this is what I get for faffing around nano caps with massive bid/ask spreads ._.

misterchef

Neo Member
bob page said:
I wish I would have gotten in on INTC & SIRI a month ago :(

Damn my indecision.
Just sold my INTC ;p - albeit a little early but I think it will pull back soon.

If ARMH reaches 25 again or SLV 30ish I'm looking to dump a lot in to them.

Hold me GAF.

I had been looking for the EURO to go down for days now with a position open since Tuesday. When it tanked today I was so happy to make out pretty good, I got out of my position. 2 hours later, I could have tripled my money/make a month's worth salary/2 trips to DR/etc etc...

I love it that even when you win, it can still be the worst day ever in trading. Oh well, the motto is live to see another day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TOLD YA OIL PRICES WOULD FALL!

They can't just keep on going up without fucking up the economy. They can't go higher than they have in the past anymore.

Gonna buy some more PBR and XOM later.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What do you guys think of HP? I think it's a good entry point at the current price.

I'm looking at HPQ, GOOG, or POT.

And I just bought some more PBR today. Wanted to increase my stake in MON too, but I'm not confident enough in it. Could buy more later.

Degen

maybe you gamer investors can give me some extra insight on this...

investing in sony while they're (sort of) down: smart? stupid? no way to tell?

nitewulf

John Dunbar said:
Random question from someone who's not exactly knowledgeable about all this economy stuff: What exactly does it mean when Fed is buying 600 billion worth of Treasuries? As far as I can tell, ever since they started doing that, the stock market has soared. Is it directly caused by Fed buying them, and does that mean there's a good chance things will go to hell when they stop in June?
i believe, the interest rate to borrow money from the Federal Reserve will be lower, so Banks will be able to borrow money at a lower rate, there will be more money flowing in general, thereby boosting the economy...which is the assumption to begin with. however, since they are printing the money to buy the Treasury Bonds...inflation will also increase.

What is the difference between limit and stop orders? From what I can tell limit means only below a set price, but stop just starts buying once it hits the price and can go over/under?

limit, sell below a set price to stop/reduce loss. sell above a set price to make profit.
or to buy below a set price to buy cheap. stop is pretty similar i think.

Top Bottom