• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake said:
ERTS tanking 4% in AH after announcing that they are buying Popcap.

Good fit for EA. Not enough of a significant drop for me to add though.

And join the game!

Silly that it dropped, buy on rumour sell on news I suppose.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It only ended up droping 1% in the end.

edit: Well it droped further but quickly rose.

LegoDad

I joined yesterday. Bought a few different stocks this time around, prolly won't be able to mess with it much so we will see how this goes.

Pachimari

Am I getting this right..

Let's say I'm buying cheap stock for $30, then it rises and is worth more, is that when I should sell? When I have a feeling it won't rise anymore, and then sell before it drops again. And then when the stock are down, I'll buy cheap and sell when it is worth more? Are these the basics?

Mind you, I'm going to buy stocks on the Danish market, probably in a year or two.

Anastacio said:
Am I getting this right..

Let's say I'm buying cheap stock for $30, then it rises and is worth more, is that when I should sell? When I have a feeling it won't rise anymore, and then sell before it drops again. And then when the stock are down, I'll buy cheap and sell when it is worth more? Are these the basics?

Mind you, I'm going to buy stocks on the Danish market, probably in a year or two.

Well, whats your definition of a cheap stock? The actual price means nothing.

If you're not going to invest for a year or two, why not practice on the Investopedia simulator?
GAF has a game going.

Anno

Kinda hoping that Clorox refuses Icahn's takeover bid. I appreciate the short-term bump but I'd be much happier to hold onto the company for a long time and let it ride.

Also getting pumped for earnings next week. Have like 8 stocks reporting by the end. Rooting for Intel above everything else, but mostly just curious how they see PC shipments vs. everyone else.

khan.jpg

UBISOOOOOOOFTT

Ether_Snake said:
Holy shit Ubisoft stocks dropped 15% today.

What was the cause?

What big sellers do they have coming out? I think Just Dance: Summer Party will sell cause it's a Limited Edition title. The Smurfs could bomb though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mockingbird said:
What was the cause?

What big sellers do they have coming out? I think Just Dance: Summer Party will sell cause it's a Limited Edition title. The Smurfs could bomb though.

They have AC Revelations coming. The reason was some downgrade, but it sounds like manipulation, it was up 8% today. Earnings are tomorrow. So I guess they wanted to tank the stock and get in low before earnings or some such.

Caliblue: you should invest my money.

LegoDad

Ether_Snake said:
They have AC Revelations coming. The reason was some downgrade, but it sounds like manipulation, it was up 8% today. Earnings are tomorrow. So I guess they wanted to tank the stock and get in low before earnings or some such.

Caliblue: you should invest my money.

I'd be doing even better if Netflix didn't just up their price out of the blue by almost double. Though it's only down .5% after the news. The bubble is going to burst for Netflix I just don't think now, it will be for a little be longer.

What did I say invest in companies you like. Buffalo Wild Wings is up 7% since I joined. from back in April, it's up over 28%.

Oh and I think Ford has hit bottom will start to rise again.

Amory

Does anyone think buying Bank of America near its 52 week low is a good idea right now? It's trading near 9.70 a share...definitely having problems now, but this is one of the biggest banks in the country

I have luke-warm optimism towards Sony right now. The Japan earthquake and PSN hacks have taken their toll on the stock price but they're 1-shot issues (hopefully).

In terms of management, I feel really good about Kaz at SCE. Kaz is all about the games, and I believe he's going to keep hardware development game-focused. Jack Tretton is coming into his own as well.

In terms of prospects for the future, I think NGP has to do as well or better than PSP, if for no other reason than 3DS is making for easier competition this time round. I don't consider smart phones real competition either. The is a profitable demographic of people (primarily ages 18 & under) who can't afford high-end smart phones but have a use for portable gaming.

What I really love about Sony is all the studios they own, and 2nd party relationships they have. Sony has some serious talent in game development. Whenever I see a company aquiring good people, it makes me feel good. People are a company's most valuable asset. Unfortunately a lot of teams have been hampered by the technological hurdle of cell leading to lengthly development times, GT5 is a prime example. There are good reasons to believe the hurdle will be much smaller with PS4, meaning Sony can get more games out of their teams, and get them soon enough to make a difference to the momentum of the console platform in those critical first couple years.

I still have a problem with Sony corp as a whole though, which tempers my optimism. I see a company that is slowly learning to be less Japanese, more global. I see they are still charging a premium for their brand. They are having a hard time letting go of some of thier stubborn habits.

All in all though, I really can't see them going anywhere but up at this point.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Not surprised. I sold ATVI some time ago. It went up since but I don't have faith in the management at all. ERTS, while they did get beaten for some time, have the experience and management necessary to always come out on top, or at worst keep its head out of the water for some time. They demonstrated as much numerous time. I didn't use to think so but I'm confident in them.

I sold half my ERTS position some ago when I reached 40% gain. Still at 41% now.

The impression I get is that Apple really doesn't know what to do with the money. They can't grow fast enough, obviously, they need to aquire something. People have speculated about movie studios, phone companies, even game development. Its kind of hard to think of the right fit for Apple.

misterchef

Neo Member
TheRagnCajun said:
The impression I get is that Apple really doesn't know what to do with the money. They can't grow fast enough, obviously, they need to aquire something. People have speculated about movie studios, phone companies, even game development. Its kind of hard to think of the right fit for Apple.

Hulu would be that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow Cajun some of your stuff shot up through the roof. You're #1 now.

Zutroy

I've always been interested in investing in stock, and I have two very simple questions that I'm pretty sure I know the answer too, but would like to hear from someone else just to make sure, lol.

1. If I for example invest $100 in a company, the most money I could lose is $100? (I.e. I couldn't become in debt)

2. What's the best online broker for the UK?

RevoDS

CRD90 said:
1. If I for example invest $100 in a company, the most money I could lose is $100? (I.e. I couldn't become in debt)

You can't become in debt, but you can lose slightly more than $100 because of the fees your broker will charge you for buying the stock in the first place. You have to take those fees into account when calculating your returns. Say you invest $100 for a single share in a company with a $30 broker fee and the stock gains $10, you still lost $20.

Similarly, if you're wiped out, you lose the $100 you invested, plus the fee, or $130 in this example.

That's, of course, for a simple cash-funded account. There are separate types of accounts, called margin accounts, where you can borrow money to buy more equity than you can afford, with the expectation that your investment will return more than the interest rate for the debt.

RevoDS

Cloudy said:
What brokerage charges $30 per trade?
I used $30 purely as an example without trying to reflect any real fee structure, but yeah, most banks charge around $30 per trade.

That's precisely why no one uses their bank as a broker unless they have six figures to invest and/or are day trading.

Well, Nintendo stock reached a new 52 week low today. To be more specific the NTDOY one, which is 1/8th the share of a Nintendo stock -- NTDOF.

$22.37 was the lowest today thus far. I believe their Q3 statements will be out later today -- which could drop it further or bring it up?

Edit: Their first quarter earnings report is actually tomorrow.

RevoDS

Mockingbird said:
Well, Nintendo stock reached a new 52 week low today. To be more specific the NTDOY one, which is 1/8th the share of a Nintendo stock -- NTDOF.

$22.37 was the lowest today thus far. I believe their Q3 statements will be out later today -- which could drop it further or bring it up?
Considering the sluggish 3DS sales and slowing Wii/DS, I wouldn't expect much good news from their statement. They could surprise if analysts already have lowered expectations, but I wouldn't count on a major rise.

I managed to avoid the last few days' drop thanks to a handful of stocks that rose significantly (namely Google and Apple :p), but I didn't manage the feat today. Just like the market, I'm being beaten, hard. Still up nearly 12% since I invested in late June though, so I can't complain...

What's the thought on the US potentially defaulting? A part of me wants to sell out big right now, but on the other hand, I know deep down inside that the markets have already been accounting for a default. Sure, there'll be a big 2-5% hit to the markets the day or two after the theoretical default, but I can handle that. Just thinking out loud here.

Personally, I don't see the default happening. I think the US Government is too "proud" and afraid of defaulting to allow that to occur, they'd rather inflate the dollar or raise the debt ceiling. In my mind, anyway.

Amory

Anyone else get in on the Dunkin Donuts IPO? If they manage to expand in the rest of the country like they have in the northeast, there's definitely money to be made there. There's literally one to four of them in every town in CT.

Darren870

Soka said:
What's the thought on the US potentially defaulting? A part of me wants to sell out big right now, but on the other hand, I know deep down inside that the markets have already been accounting for a default. Sure, there'll be a big 2-5% hit to the markets the day or two after the theoretical default, but I can handle that. Just thinking out loud here.

Personally, I don't see the default happening. I think the US Government is too "proud" and afraid of defaulting to allow that to occur, they'd rather inflate the dollar or raise the debt ceiling. In my mind, anyway.

I think if your up a good % in a fund/stock you should part of it. Basically enough so you are only playing with the houses money...

Then if there is any issues:

1. You dont loose anything
2. have $ to buy more stock cheap.

Just my thoughts...thats what I am doing on some of my positions.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Soka said:

I don't know if the markets have fully priced in a possible default. Default isn't the right word anyway, the US will continue to meet bond obligations. The bigger issue is a downgrade causing an increase in borrowing costs for everyone, reducing liquidity, choking off the recovery and possibly causing another recession/slower growth.

The stock market is based on expectations of future earnings, and I don't know that 2012 earnings have a US downgrade priced in yet.

I'm like you, I'm still 100% in, mostly still up money, have a big chunk of my net worth at play here, and I don't know if I should scale back to cash or just hold on. So far I've decided to stand pat.

But I'm getting more concerned.

Fatghost said:
I don't know if the markets have fully priced in a possible default. Default isn't the right word anyway, the US will continue to meet bond obligations. The bigger issue is a downgrade causing an increase in borrowing costs for everyone, reducing liquidity, choking off the recovery and possibly causing another recession/slower growth.

The stock market is based on expectations of future earnings, and I don't know that 2012 earnings have a US downgrade priced in yet.

I'm like you, I'm still 100% in, mostly still up money, have a big chunk of my net worth at play here, and I don't know if I should scale back to cash or just hold on. So far I've decided to stand pat.

But I'm getting more concerned.

I'm down on 2 stocks so much I'll never sell them, then down about 20-40% on two others, at around +1%-+10% on 3 stocks, and then have at least a dozen at +20% or more.

I'm really considering just selling everything except the 4 bigger losers I have, putting my money into a low-interest/low-risk CD for about 6 months, then pushing it all into government bonds once the rates on those kick up. I guess, for me, I'm not even 23 yet, so I'm in no real rush to use this money. I literally have no major use for it right now, which is why I sold absolutely nothing during the recession... I just kept buying with any extra pennies I could scrounge up.

On the other hand, maybe I should sell it all now and buy back in when the market tanks. Of course, "timing the market" is where people start to lose their shit, so I tend to avoid it.

Javaman

Soka said:
I'm down on 2 stocks so much I'll never sell them, then down about 20-40% on two others, at around +1%-+10% on 3 stocks, and then have at least a dozen at +20% or more.

I'm really considering just selling everything except the 4 bigger losers I have, putting my money into a low-interest/low-risk CD for about 6 months, then pushing it all into government bonds once the rates on those kick up. I guess, for me, I'm not even 23 yet, so I'm in no real rush to use this money. I literally have no major use for it right now, which is why I sold absolutely nothing during the recession... I just kept buying with any extra pennies I could scrounge up.

On the other hand, maybe I should sell it all now and buy back in when the market tanks. Of course, "timing the market" is where people start to lose their shit, so I tend to avoid it.
Why would you hang on to your stinkers and sell the winners? That's backwards.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
THQI is so dead. I wonder how much longer they have until they fold over.

StMeph

Darren870 said:
I think if your up a good % in a fund/stock you should part of it. Basically enough so you are only playing with the houses money...

Then if there is any issues:

1. You dont loose anything
2. have $ to buy more stock cheap.

Just my thoughts...thats what I am doing on some of my positions.

I feel like that's a bad way to view your money. Studies have shown that people tend to be willing to risk more when it's money they've won from the house, but I wouldn't consider it the house's money -- it's *my* money.

Let's be generous and say you're up 100% on a position. If you sell half of it to recoup your initial investment, but the remainder of the investment tanks in value to near 0, you didn't not lose anything, you did in fact lose money. It was yours -- you had it -- but instead of being up 100% on that position, you broke even after commissions.

Obviously risk exists everywhere, and there's no guarantee to what would have happened if you did/didn't move your money, but it's about the way you perceive that risk. Just because you're re-investing gains shouldn't change your tolerance for risk.

As for buying other stocks cheaply, that's just something you have to balance in your portfolio. Is exiting your position to invest elsewhere a better play? Does the projected growth now no longer justify the risk? Are you doing it to diversify? Those are legitimate reasons. Doing it because it's "free money" is bound to lead to suboptimal decisions, because you're not treating gains like your money. It is totally your money.

Top Bottom