• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

spiderman123 said:
I don't get the article, why push the tax cuts?! To increase consumer spending.?!

Payroll tax holiday would theoretically push those companies reluctant to hire to make a move because the cost to hire would be a lot lower. I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Anno

This has been a crazy up and down day for my portfolio. I'm ready for this week to be over! Hopefully stuff calms down a bit over the weekend. Still partly in cash eying some decent deals forming out there.

torontoml

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm canadian looking to buy american money for the end of september, i should have bought it a couple weeks ago but didn't now today i can get it for par, should i buy now or will the dollar likely go up again by mid september.

Gallbaro

Banned
torontoml said:
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm canadian looking to buy american money for the end of september, i should have bought it a couple weeks ago but didn't now today i can get it for par, should i buy now or will the dollar likely go up again by mid september.

If people knew it would go up in mid september, it would already be going up...

unomas

Banned
torontoml said:

I would assume it will be going down, but I'm basing that on QE3 which hasn't been announced yet. I'd hold out a few more weeks if you can.

spiderman123 said:
I don't get the article, why push the tax cuts?! To increase consumer spending.?!

The author thinks the economy is still far to weak for the government to go in austerity mode. More spending is politically not acceptable for the Republicans but a tax cut (also a stimulus) is.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Large Professor said:
The author thinks the economy is still far to weak for the government to go in austerity mode. More spending is politically not acceptable for the Republicans but a tax cut (also a stimulus) is.

Bullshit, well called out by Krugman:

Via FT Alphaville, Cullen Roche likes what I said in today’s column except that it’s “too political”, and then asks why I don’t call for a temporary cut in payroll taxes, which Republicans, who love tax cuts, would support.

Um, this kind of thing is why you have to be political to have any grasp of reality.

I mean, there’s good reason on economic grounds to be skeptical about the effectiveness of temporary tax cuts as stimulus; Milton Friedman’s permanent income hypothesis tells us that much of such cuts will be saved, not spent. But leave that on one side, and consider a point Mr. Roche doesn’t seem aware of: Republicans have already rejected a payroll tax cut.

Remember, the Obama administration extracted such a cut as the price for its surrender on the Bush tax cuts — and it has been trying to get that cut extended, as the only economic stimulus it considers politically possible. And the GOP has turned it down flat.

How can that be, when Republicans love tax cuts? The answer is, they don’t. They love tax cuts for the rich. Tax cuts for ordinary workers, many of whom will be those hated lucky duckies whose incomes are too low to pay income tax, are if anything something Republicans dislike.

Also, the GOP is against any idea that (a) comes from Obama (b) might help the economy before the 2012 election.

Again, this is why you have to pay attention to politics. Straight economics is necessary, but won’t get you to the full reality.

Enron

Banned
Gonaria said:
That really does not make any sense to me. a 401k/roth ira is a long long long term investment. Why the hell does it matter what the market does when you are only going to see the money in 10/20/30 years.

Because OMG I LOSE MONEY WTFASDFBBQZLJLDF:!!111!1

Eligible employees should have their paychecks withheld until they attend a class or two on investing in their 401ks, I swear.

[Nintex]

pestul said:
Gearing up for the Asian markets Monday open.. this should be a fun trading day! Good luck everyone.
The ECB is going to bail out any Euro-state that gets into trouble and that either gives the markets more confidence or the Eurozone will be battered and bankrupt when all this is done. In any case Germans, Dutch, French etc. will pay for Spanish, Greece, Italian debts while having to deal with more austerity measures themselves to 'save' the bigger picture. I wonder how the general public will feel about this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nah, people will eventually be sick of this shit. Governments' won't get a free pass. We're gonna see a return to locally-driven and oriented politics. People care more about their own countries than the EU. They're going to have to completely change what the EU stands for.

Anno

Futures are open. Currently about -2% across the board for U.S. exchanges, though they are off of their lows. Godspeed to everyone - who knows what's going to happen tomorrow! Times like this really start to try my patience as a long-term investor.

Anno

Yeah, it's a hard market to read. Were everyone objective they would be placing far more prudence on the fact that U.S. companies are continuing to produce record profits despite a weak domestic economy. I'm not sure how much this will do to change that - I guess we'll have to wait to see how the bond market behaves over the coming days. I have some cash on hand waiting to be deployed because I really do think that there are a lot of attractive targets out there.

Ether_Snake said:
Nah, people will eventually be sick of this shit. Governments' won't get a free pass. We're gonna see a return to locally-driven and oriented politics. People care more about their own countries than the EU. They're going to have to completely change what the EU stands for.

You know ever since you brought up the globalization vs anti globalization perspective, researching I found this to be an interesting read

http://whatmatters.mckinseydigital.com/the_debate_zone/will-globalization-be-derailed-by-the-world-financial-crisis#a

Gonaria said:
maybe I am just a huge pessimist, but I think its going to continue to slide for a while

Which is why I buy in stages. Can't predict market bottoms, and you don't want to miss out on a buying opportunity for the chance the market will not go further down.

Piecake

I have a quick question concerning tax brackets and capital gains.

Keeping it simple, lets say a single guy has an adjusted gross income of 30k, but also has 20k in capital gains. Would that move him on up to the next tax bracket so he would have to pay capital gains on that (long-term gains) or does he remain in the lower bracket because capital gains and your AGI is treated separately?

unomas

Banned
In the first two hours of the Asian market being open, Gold is up $20 an ounce again to a new all time high, and silver is up .77 cents an ounce up over $39 again. The metals markets are only going to continue their explosion up with all the upcoming economic news.

Anno

Gonaria said:
I have a quick question concerning tax brackets and capital gains.

Keeping it simple, lets say a single guy has an adjusted gross income of 30k, but also has 20k in capital gains. Would that move him on up to the next tax bracket so he would have to pay capital gains on that (long-term gains) or does he remain in the lower bracket because capital gains and your AGI is treated separately?

I believe long-term capital gains are treated separately from normal earned income. Depending on your tax bracket you'll be taxed at either 0% or 15%. Short term cap gains will be taxed at your normal marginal tax level.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

planar1280 said:
is it me or is the market bouncing back from a 300 point futures drop

Let's look at it again once the markets have been opened for more than 30 minutes. ;)

This will be a volatile day. All signs point to "hold on to your hats, gentlemen" though, as the rating cut to the U.S. and continuing turmoil in Europe (and overall down world markets) nearly guarantee a down day.

I love buying into bank stocks, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Now, I can't help but want to buy BAC... The low dividend makes me weary, though, but I expect them to recover eventually when this financial mess levels off in a few years.

Xisiqomelir

Soka said:
I love buying into bank stocks, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. Now, I can't help but want to buy BAC... The low dividend makes me weary, though, but I expect them to recover eventually when this financial mess levels off in a few years.

BAC is one of my highest-conviction shorts. The balance sheet is a debacle to look at, the legal liabilities are only going to keep multiplying (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/08/us-bankofamerica-aig-lawsuit-idUSTRE7772LN20110808), and their revenue streams are unimpressive at best.

What's your thought process for going long?

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I'm leading the pack in depreciation of account value thanks to my overly bullish approach on investopedia. Not that my decisions had anything to do with what was going to happen in August, nonetheless I'm glad this isn't my real money.

teruterubozu said:
Yeah but that was when things were going good.

This is just bad on top of bad.

the bigger you go the larger you fall, in an uncertain time, even a bit of good news will bounce the market up which the market would not have paid attention to in good times.

sajj316

For those that invested in FAZ ... GOOD FOR YOU! A very volatile position with a very wacky risk vs. reward curve.

Opened at 45.28 on 7/21. Now trading at 70+.

planar1280 said:
the bigger you go the larger you fall, in an uncertain time, even a bit of good news will bounce the market up which the market would not have paid attention to in good times.

Well that goes without saying, but the market is getting tired of small bumps (like last week's "positive" job report) and looking for significant certainty.

sajj316

pestul said:
Double-digit dips for a few big corps today, including BAC.

Yes. The worst time to be in financials. If you catch the right wave .. profits are ahead in the future. In the ETF space .. XLF and FAS (3x leverage .. bull). I don't see that wave for a while. Hang tight.

Top Bottom