• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Zyzyxxz

why would u wait till after earnings? they just released the new iPad and iPhone 4s

If you follow the stock news they were all being conservative and with the recent drop in price it scared away some people too considering it went from 644 to as low as 560 in two weeks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Not surprised at iPad sales. Even my father who can barely use a PC was asking me if he should be an iPad instead of a new PC and I think a lot of people like him would find it simpler to use.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So EA getting bought? Glad I bought shares recently, but I doubt this will go through.

codhand

Who on Earth would buy EA?

Edit: I just read it on the gaming side...what the hell?!?!

Yeah, I remember Jim Cramer having Strauss Zelnick (Take-Two CEO) on his "Wall of Shame" for not letting EA buy Take-Two when GTA IV was launching, Strauss is looking like a genius now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, I remember Jim Cramer having Strauss Zelnick (Take-Two CEO) on his "Wall of Shame" for not letting EA buy Take-Two when GTA IV was launching, Strauss is looking like a genius now.

Not from investors' point of view, they had offered $25.75, right before the economic crisis hit. TTWO would probably never be bought for much more than that.

I think TTWO and THQI will be bought anyway, but not sure who will buy them.

codhand

Not from investors' point of view, they had offered $25.75, right before the economic crisis hit.

Depends what type of investor, look at what EA have done with Bioware, any long term value that acquisition had, has been all but stripped. I think Take-Two is better off in the long term despite the fact the may never get an offer that good again. I think THQ would be open to being bought as things look bleak for them, but I think for Take-Two to be Take-Two, they have to stay their course.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah Amazon has been high on my list for some time. I noted it conservatively with a target price of 240, so it was down 18% from that which started making it attractive. Didn't buy any sadly:| I might add to EA before I buy some Amazon, but not until it goes back down close to 20% from 240.

One company I want to see go up is PBR. Hasn't been going well. I'm down 21% on this and already added four times to it, it costs me 30$ a transaction! That's 120$ just to buy all that.

Dammit, I didn't get in on AMZN :(
I'm on the same boat, looked at amazon this morning considering to get in and not knowing earnings were today. But to be fair, pretty much every single analyst on cnbc was bearish and foreseeing the worst. I mean look at Netflix! That went down like crazy after earnings!! So don't kick yourself haha

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is there a way to see when a company's earnings are on Google Finance?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any of you living in Canada: How can it be that my RRSP contribution limit was usually around $20,000, but for 2012 it will be $13,000???

This is really low and I'll end up paying a lot in income tax:mad:

I used to get refunds thanks to contributing as much as possible to my RRSP.

Two years ago I was at $20,000, then $18,000, now $13,000???

IllumiNate

Any of you living in Canada: How can it be that my RRSP contribution limit was usually around $20,000, but for 2012 it will be $13,000???

This is really low and I'll end up paying a lot in income tax:mad:

I used to get refunds thanks to contributing as much as possible to my RRSP.

Two years ago I was at $20,000, then $18,000, now $13,000???

I believe it's based on how much you make in a year, %18 of your gross income

RevoDS

So is it based on the previous year's salary? They can't know yet how much I will make this year yet.

Yeah, it's based on whatever salary you reported in your tax report for the previous year, at least according to the CRA's website. Some adjustments for whatever was left over the previous year (or if you exceeded the limit. You're allowed to go over by up to $2000 without penalty, but that $2000 is removed from the following year's contribution limit)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I guess that's what happened.

That sucks:(

Anyway you guys heard me talk about how simulation is the future, here is an article on CAE that explains a bit more clearly why:

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-dep...rsive-visualisation-in-design/1012456.article

I am absolutely 100% confident that simulation is going to expand at a rapid rate in the near future, it will even start flowing into the consumer market soon enough. Part of this will happen because in the game industry we are getting increasingly closer to simulating realistic environments in real-time. Cloth, materials, lighting, fluids, etc., 3D printing.

It's all coming together:)

One day you'll sit in an empty room and be able to simulate anything. Imagine how this will improve training. Any simulator can be updated with new data from servers. No more shipping of big bulky simulators made to simulate one specific vehicle. Reduced costs for simulation companies, increased revenues.

disclaimer: yes I own CAE shares:p

edit: BTW, bought more GLD today.

I'm sure there are many fundamental factor models used by these firms, but just wanted to drop this in here

84% of All Stock Trades Are By High-Frequency Computers … Only 16% Are Done By Human Traders

http://www.zerohedge.com/contribute...quency-computers-…-only-16-are-done-human-tra

Company analysis still has value, but the old Wallstreet is nearly dead. We are at the mercy of algorythms, so the best thing to do is follow trends. If you believe in the long-term prospects of a company, hold onto it, but yeah...

daw840

I'm sure there are many fundamental factor models used by these firms, but just wanted to drop this in here

84% of All Stock Trades Are By High-Frequency Computers … Only 16% Are Done By Human Traders

http://www.zerohedge.com/contribute...quency-computers-…-only-16-are-done-human-tra

Company analysis still has value, but the old Wallstreet is nearly dead. We are at the mercy of algorythms, so the best thing to do is follow trends. If you believe in the long-term prospects of a company, hold onto it, but yeah...

That's crazy. Skynet step 1

ToxicAdam

That's why you should just invest in stocks that pay out a reliable, generous dividend.
Playing individual stocks and trying to jump in and out of swings is crazy.

Anno

Indeed. Hoping for a further pullback over the next couple of weeks/months to let dividends reinvest low and get in with some good yields.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Now ask yourself... what if those computers are communicating with one another?

There aren't that many of them. How likely is it that 84% of the market is completely manipulated?

Zyzyxxz

There aren't that many of them. How likely is it that 84% of the market is completely manipulated?

Let's take this one step further and put on our tinfoil conspiracy hats. What if one person or a select few are controlling the pawns.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Glad I bought more GLD recently, probably the only thing that will remain stable or go up among what I own, for the foreseeable future.

Well the quants will always have different assumptions/time frames for their models so there will always be some mispricing in their minds, the problem is (and it has happened before) when a large moves sets a computer chain reaction. That's when they have to suspend trading and see what the hell just happened.

It almost seems like the entire market is going in the direction of Long Term Capital Management.

BTW, with the Greek and French election results, I wouldn't want to be long Europe tomorrow.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
That's why you should just invest in stocks that pay out a reliable, generous dividend.
Playing individual stocks and trying to jump in and out of swings is crazy.

You mean ETFs? I agree.

Though I get a bit more variety than that. 3 core types of funds IMO:
1. Large Cap Value High Dividend Yield
2. Small Cap Blend
3. International/Emerging blend

There are people that do beat the market average with individual stocks. But the market average by definition has to have below and above average. Most people will perform average but if they're trading constantly get hit by fees and taxes, and thus perform worse than average. But people tend to remember their victories and forget their losses. It's human nature, and thus we have this thread.

If you want to beat the market average and you don't have a conscious, put your money in drugs and the food industry. Cigarettes, Pharma, Soda, Fast food, Junk food. They will likely continue to beat market average because they have to pay out more dividends to lure investors. See Altria Group as an example. There are several quarters above 6% dividends. It's mad.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
lol @ this article on yahoo finance

Inside Buffett’s Big Event: Who Are Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders?
Who are the people that flock to Omaha each year? They seem to have one major thing in common: untold wealth.

No shit. One Berkshire share costs $122K

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
So is it based on the previous year's salary? They can't know yet how much I will make this year yet.

Yes, 2012 contribution room is based on 18% of 2011 earned income less pension adjustment.

2011 contribution room is based on 18% of 2010 earned income less pension adjustment.

If your 2010 contribution room was 20,000 you must have made about 112,000.00 in 2009 with no pension at work.

Alternatively, you built up a bunch of RRSP room in previous years and have only recently caught up.

Eljay

Neo Member
lol @ this article on yahoo finance

No shit. One Berkshire share costs $122K

If you read the article you'll notice they're using "untold" in the traditional definition meaning their wealth is secret, not that they're all fabulously wealthy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yes, 2012 contribution room is based on 18% of 2011 earned income less pension adjustment.

2011 contribution room is based on 18% of 2010 earned income less pension adjustment.

If your 2010 contribution room was 20,000 you must have made about 112,000.00 in 2009 with no pension at work.

Alternatively, you built up a bunch of RRSP room in previous years and have only recently caught up.

No I never made that much money. I'm thinking the cap was at 20,000-something because I didn't contribute much the years before.

This sucks, most of my contributions come from bonuses. I'll end up reaching the cap with the bonuses alone and will have to stop all other contributions I make on each pay. Which means I'll end up paying a lot of income tax at the end of the year.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
No I never made that much money. I'm thinking the cap was at 20,000-something because I didn't contribute much the years before.

This sucks, most of my contributions come from bonuses. I'll end up reaching the cap with the bonuses alone and will have to stop all other contributions I make on each pay. Which means I'll end up paying a lot of income tax at the end of the year.

Can your company put the money into a DPSP or something for you instead?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

I highly doubt this exists where I work, but I'll look into it.

Isn't it a bit weird though? I mean what is the catch? It seems there are only benefits to both the employer and employee.

Doesn't that still deduct from your rrsp contribution limit?

Soka said:
Well boys and girls, judging from the overseas (read: non-U.S.) markets, we're in for a wonderful ride tomorrow. Hold onto your hats, don't sell from a position of panic, and just know that I'll be there with you, through all the red.

Stay strong.

Yeah I was anticipating a relapse, Europe not withstanding. I think it might be quite a slide this summer.

CFMOORE!

What are your guy's thoughts on Sony (SNE) given all that is happening with the company? It is at a pretty low point right now but I have some faith in all the restructuring and reorg that is happening. I would only buy into it for a long haul position, but I want to gather some of the GAF trading brain trust.

What are your guy's thoughts on Sony (SNE) given all that is happening with the company? It is at a pretty low point right now but I have some faith in all the restructuring and reorg that is happening. I would only buy into it for a long haul position, but I want to gather some of the GAF trading brain trust.

I still have hope in Sony, and they are arguably undervalued, but there's no point in jumping in until they can turn a profit.

Anno

Ouch, I hope no one owned Fossil. On the plus side it seems to knocking down VFC, which I've been waiting for a pullback on for what seems like a year. Still a ways to go but 5% is a good start.

Top Bottom