• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thanks:) But what really sucks, and which I am realizing everyday, is how even tho you may end up buying from a good company, in the end the biggest obstacle to a stock's rise is the overall stock market. It sort of locks me in long term trading in the end. And since I never paid attention to the stock market and financial news until when I bought ATVI again in late July (before the August stocks plunged), I don't know how bad we are doing or if we have been going through such difficult times numerous times before you know?:p

Fuzzery

Yeaaaah you really gotta be constantly aware of how things are moving around if you want to do short term trading lol. Not that long-term is bad though.

Javaman

What the hell,
Yahoo and money.cnn are reporting an 18% drop for NBITX (to $22.32) but google and morningstar are reporting $27.37.

6y2nl2t.jpg

I'm leaning towards $27.37 but why would they be reporting vastly differently?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Javaman: Weird, can't you find another source?

BTW TTWO is falling in after hours because:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/18/technology/take_two.ap/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Take-Two ups '08 forecast, but shares drop, Video-game maker offers a first-quarter estimate that's below what analysts expected.

So I'll be on the watch for buying more if it falls a lot again (like around 14$). We may get a run up before GTA's "spring" release, at which point I might sell. I am 90% sure it will not be released in the spring, so when they announce a delay we can expect another fall, at which point I would buy again.

Javaman

Ether_Snake said:
Javaman: Weird, can't you find another source?

BTW TTWO is falling in after hours because:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/18/technology/take_two.ap/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Take-Two ups '08 forecast, but shares drop, Video-game maker offers a first-quarter estimate that's below what analysts expected.

So I'll be on the watch for buying more if it falls a lot again (like around 14$). We may get a run up before GTA's "spring" release, at which point I might sell. I am 90% sure it will not be released in the spring, so when they announce a delay we can expect another fall, at which point I would buy again.

I checked five or six and they all flip flopped back and forth. It turns out that the fund is just adjusting for dividends or capital gains. It's strange though that the info is so divided. I would have thought that the reporting would be more accurate.

It looks like the market on NTDOY is profit-taking on reports of severe Wii shortages. It didn't make it to my goal of $80 ($100?), but I think it could on the next rally. In the meantime, it's starting to look like a good buying opp.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No idea, can't you just buy NDTOY.PK?

BTW ATVI just raised their guidance again.

Activision Raises Its Outlook Amid Strong Videogame Sales
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/exte...119810202314440477.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

The share is up 3.92% in AH. If this keeps up, Vivendi's offer of 27.50 might have to be raised:p

TTWO also up today, 3.99% and another 1.23% at the moment in AH. I thought it might go down after yesterday's earnings but I'm glad to see it's not. In other news, Pachter is bashing TTWO again. It seems he's not even hiding the fact that he's probably on someone's pay roll to do so.

My CGT shares are finally back above the price I paid for them! Woot!

Still losing a lot of IMMR tho, but oh well, win some lose some.

kathode

ATVI hit a 52-week high today. Looks like it had a ripple effect as TTWO and GME are also up. Tech had a tremendous day. NFLX up nearly 10% on relatively little news. AAPL up over 2%. Nice day!

It looks like the market on NTDOY is profit-taking on reports of severe Wii shortages. It didn't make it to my goal of $80 ($100?), but I think it could on the next rally. In the meantime, it's starting to look like a good buying opp.
Yeah it's an awesome buying opportunity. Still going to knock earnings out of the park. You know when the bad news is that they can't physically make enough units that you've got a monster stock on your hands :D Now wishing I had sold back near the high, but I'm already going to get slammed on taxes this year :) Ah well, woulda coulda shoulda!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah good day.

STP was up 4.62%. But I can't get into $50+ stocks, too costly. There are a couple of nice long-term stocks like UN and PG, but I'm unclear on their value really, and with rising oil prices all commodities prises rise, which means people will be more selective about what they'll buy. Everything is getting really expensive. Anyway, that sector too blurry for me to make a serious investment.

I might buy more of CGT soon. It's at the same price I bought my previous shares for, and I still have a whole lot of faith in them, plus they are cheap.

I'm interested in INTC especially, but not confident enough. NVDA is another one I think would be a safe investment due to lack of serious competition, but it's gotten expensive for me. INTC has been following the Nasdaq on a daily basis for a while now, but for how long?:| I'm trying to figure out what broke the trend on January 13 2006 and sent it down a couple of bucks, any one has any info on that? Took some time for it to recover.

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
I'm interested in INTC especially, but not confident enough. NVDA is another one I think would be a safe investment due to lack of serious competition, but it's gotten expensive for me. INTC has been following the Nasdaq on a daily basis for a while now, but for how long?:| I'm trying to figure out what broke the trend on January 13 2006 and sent it down a couple of bucks, any one has any info on that? Took some time for it to recover.

Intel had a rough earnings report right around then, and it kicked off a big tech-sector selloff across the board.
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/mar...ml?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

FYI Yahoo Finance lets you scrub back through news apparently indefinitely, but the interface is a bit tough to manage.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm, I doubt AMD could manage to bring another scare on INTC. Then again it's when you're down that you're the most likely to get back up:p

Though call anyway. Hmm, hmm.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmmm not sure what to buy. I'll probably get 100 more of CGT since it's cheap.

INTC would be nice but something's holding me back, probably overall market conditions. I see is as a long-but-not-too-longterm stock because of the strong dips it had in the past (like in early 06).

ORB maybe? Could be a good long term stock. But it would be only worth it if I could invest a lot.

NOK is interesting but I put them in the same bag as INTC as far as uncertainty is concerned.

SPWR up 6.63% as I'm writing this. Damn solar stocks, would have been to get into this a while ago, it just makes a lot of sense unlike other energy sources. Their use can only diversify, the source itself has no negatives unlike ethanol and the likes. It's just a question of better and cheaper technology, and it will come. Damn!:p

NVDA, very interesting, nothing to keep me away from it except the fact that it's at its highest. It's a bit expensive for me tho.

ADBE and ADSK makes sense but it's too expensive for me.

APPL is about to hit 200 btw.

Blargh, I don't know. I'll probably buy more CGT later this week on a dip.

gkryhewy

Miroku said:
I've made 10.6% since August with VEIEX. Thats without having to do any trading, work, research, stress, etc...

Since August? It helps to buy at the bottom of a huge dip :lol. I own one mutual fund, JSVAX, and I've been happy with it. Recent big drop, but that was dividends not actual value loss.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^IXIC&t=6m

We are more or less going back up. I think that, unless the holiday sales are really bad (which they appear to be according to various reports), we'll get back to the late November high in the next few weeks, at which point I would sell my short term stocks that I would have bought somewhere around the last two weeks (but I purchased nothing), waiting for the next dip to buy on the next recovery. I have only long-term stocks so I'm not moving, and I'm waiting for an overall market dip before buying more CGT, probably within the next two weeks (just waiting for that downward trend on the DOW/S&P/Nasdaq).

My portfolio's only red is IMMR, which I really bought too fast without thinking but that's when I was getting back in the stock market and was still greener than a green stock-market-virgin.

I'm still really not confident in the market, and I think this uncertainty will hold me back till probably late spring 08, hopefully not later.

ATVI almost at 30.

ERTS has recovered nicely, trading at 60 (I'm not holding any).
THQI has been impressive, going from 23.75 or so to almost 30 in one month, no idea why really.

Javaman

I'm pretty pissed at NBITX through T Rowe Price. It dropped +18% on the 18th of December but I still hadn't gotten any distributions yet. Am I correct in thinking that those normally happen within a day or two of the stock dropping?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CREE up 7.54% so far today. They shot up since yesterday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CREE&t=5d

PANL up 8.83%, probably for the same reasons (research firm saying the sector is under estimated).

EDIT: And my view that INTC is following the Nasdaq step by step remains accurate: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=3m&s=INTC&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=&c=^IXIC Now if only the markets showed some real signs of recovery, but as I said yesterday it will probably be a while before we can see any.

EDIT2: AMZN is up today even tho everyone's down. I think that the lack of offline sales for retailers will translate into higher online sales (less expensive purchases but more books, DVD, games and music purchases), but probably still below original expectations. I'm wary of that $94 share price.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Should get 200 more of CGT today. Didn't feel like waiting really, not worth it, the stock varies very little over a short period of time anyway.

So it would seem that NTDOY paid a dividend of just over 14 cents per OTC receipt yesterday. Doesn't that seem a bit low to anybody? At the current bid price of 73.90, that puts the P-E at over 526:1 if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rage1973

Cheesemeister said:
So it would seem that NTDOY paid a dividend of just over 14 cents per OTC receipt yesterday. Doesn't that seem a bit low to anybody? At the current bid price of 73.90, that puts the P-E at over 526:1 if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think you have a proper understanding of P-E ratio and dividends.
P/E ratio is price to earnings ratio and dividends has nothing to do with earnings. Dividend is basically the money given back to shareholders because they don't think they can efficiently reinvest their profits. Dividends are usually not given out by high growth companies because most of the time they can better invest that money into the companies to keep up with its growth.

argon

Cheesemeister said:

Nintendo pays two dividends per year. There's a larger one in late July which should be around $0.75/share this year by my estimations.

Regarding P/E ratios, what rage said is correct.. in fact, most game companies don't pay out any dividends.

Also, I found this article a couple weeks ago about Nintendo's P/E:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/12/yourmoney/minvest15.php

It is sufficiently clever to have made the stock trade at successively cheaper valuations over the last two years, despite the huge run-up in price. That means that the company's earnings have risen more sharply than the share price.

Nintendo traded at more than 80 times the earnings it reported for the financial year through March 2006 and just under 50 times 2007 earnings. Analysts for Nikko Citigroup, JPMorgan and Lehman Brothers, all of whom recommend the stock, valued it recently at less than 30 times earnings for the year through next March.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just realized that it's possible to buy Capcom stocks (CCOEF.PK) in the same way we can buy Nintendo stocks. I think Capcom is the top third party in Japan and they are making very good moves in the Western market too, they have strong series and all, and development costs are probably under good control considering their usual milking production mentality (like how RE, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Rule of Rose, etc., were all using the same engine).

Is there anything in particular to take in consideration when buying .pk stocks?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone knows if the NYSE is going to be opened past 12pm today?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Not sure when markets close today.

However, Apple is looking extraordinary for me. I plan to sell half of my shares after the earnings run-up, then rebuy when it dips again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cool cool

And Ubisoft (UBI) is about to pop to 70 euros. Up 162% since Jan 01 (and probably ike 400% since late 2004:lol)

http://www.boursier.com/vals/FR/FR0000054470-cours-ubisoft.html

I expect them to do a stock-split soon. Just a guess because they're at an all time high. Last time they split at 60 or so.

EDIT: Ooooh, I think UN split? I'm pretty sure they were trading in the 70s. http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=UN Finally a consumer goods company that I've been interested in which is in a decent price range. Altho right now, I'll remain wary of investing in anything related to consumer goods like producers and retailers. Too much uncertainty.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I would say, as of this moment, Video Games, as long as you invest in the right developers, and Apple are pretty safe bets.

Videogames are following their own economic cycle that occurs within the launch of systems. They're in a period of growth that will peak once the systems hit $250 average.

Apple is doing great with it's iPhone and shared revenue with phone companies. They get a good chunk of change for each iPhone plan. Plus, Macworld is coming up, where they'll probably announce new products. I also hear that they'll announce that they've sold 5 million iPhones, already halfway towards their fiscal 2008 goal, in one quarter.

Finally, apple earnings come the 22nd, and they're due to demolish the estimates. Take a look at the last apple earnings report. The stock jumped 13 points. Expect a similar jump this time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
APPL is too expensive for me:| I'd need around $20,000 to bother and make an investment.

Even ATVI is somewhat borderline affordable to me at almost $30. And even tho I have a lot of faith in them I'll just keep my current shares. TTWO is affordable, but it will probably sink again to the mid or low 10s before GTAIV's actual release (which I still doubt to be in the spring but we'll see). Anyway I'm keeping TTWO until they get bought. THQ I don't trust enough anymore and it's expensive. ERTS is too expensive. KNM has been doing well too recently.

ORB (Aerospace/Defense) sounds good, it's affordable especially compared to other Aerospace/Defense stocks, but I don't know the market much.

INTC again is one I'm very interested in, and it is currently affordable. NVDA is also really interesting, but I just have no way of putting a value on either company as far as their stock price goes.

ADBE and ADSK are too expensive but they have practically no competition. So they are both interesting, altho very long term.

I'm somewhat stuck and unable to invest in much, especially because of the current market conditions. There are so many bad news right now that even with investments in the right company the stock can be brought down anyway, even on good news (see ATVI before Vivendi deal, happened to them twice in a row that they beat expectations yet it sent the stock down).

EDIT: Home sales in the US were higher than expected, good news (among many bad news). http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a2pgWQMWgcpQ&refer=home

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Not a good start for 2008:p

And why the heck is IMMR up today when everyone's down? On no news too...

EDIT: STP was up again, 4.42%. Sure wish I had gotten in solar! AKNS is one cheap solar stock that went up recently because of a deal with STP. There's also HOKU, and ASTI. Could be a good investment all around as far as the sector is concerned, but it's risky! I might do it just for the heck of it when I get the funds:p

Also, a Telecommunications stock I've been looking at (but missed my chances on due to my lack of understanding of the market) has been the Russian Vimpel-Communications (VIP, easy to remember). http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/071231/general01.html?.v=1

So what's the deal on NTDOY lately? I bought a bunch of shares back in July and I am wondering if I should sell soon, or hang in there for any special events, or of course, Wii Fit.

lil smoke

Banned
-WindYoshi- said:
So what's the deal on NTDOY lately? I bought a bunch of shares back in July and I am wondering if I should sell soon, or hang in there for any special events, or of course, Wii Fit.
Me too. Waiting too see results after this holiday season.

But I think I'm waiting. NTDOY has stood solid through this shaky period, been my most solid holding actually. I won't let it slip past 64 though.

Go Wii Fit!

kathode

-WindYoshi- said:

Next earnings report is January 25th or right around then, I believe.

lil smoke

Banned
Last quarter of 2007 wasn't too hot either... this isn't a good time for rookies like me in this game. I'm glad I never invested TOO much.

I'm still holding onto shitty CROX! What should I do? Just take the loss?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What did you pay for it again?

Wow, INTC down 6.85%, now trading in the 22s. Might be a good opportunity if the markets calm down. NDVA also down 6.84%. Dell down 5.36%. Ouch, this is really bad...

EDIT: I feel like putting everything except my CGT investment in ATVI. The game sector looks like it's the only bulletproof one out there. Then again, a lot of people and big firms invested in the game sector recently without doing their homework, so chances are they're not holding firmly on the stocks so the slightest misunderstanding could lead them to sell a lot quickly.

ArtG

Took it on the chin today, like everyone else. I'm up fractionally for the week, though, so I can't really be disappointed. Making any sort of money in the current market is a godsend. Some good buying opportunities coming up though. Some bargains on some great companies. Just wish I had cash to buy up some of this cheap stuff.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No idea about Zecco.

ArtG: Sort of difficult to pick the bottom tho. What you consider cheap right now could turn out to be expensive compared to the shares' value a couple of weeks from now. I hate these market conditions. I invest longterm, but even then I remain wary. Right now only IMMR is biting me in the ass big time, bought it at 17.01 and that turned out to be almost the peak, it's trading at around 12. Everything else I'm confident on, and I know TTWO will keep on wobbling but I'm patient on that one. CGT and ATVI are my only sure keepers I can sleep on, altho I'm not buying more of ATVI even tho I probably should, simply because I place my available funds in CGT when I have more.

Again, INTC is interesting to me, but I just don't know when to get in:|

EDIT: And AKNS was up AGAIN today, unbelievable. Up over 10%, yesterday it was like 18%, and the day before 30-something% I think. Damnit, and it's a cheap solar energy stock too. ARGH! :lol

Fuzzery

mikeybwright said:
I saw this asked earlier, but with no response, is Zecco a good site? I always feel weary putting my SS online.
I got my money in and everything, haven't tried withdrawing yet though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey Fuzz how are you doing these days investment-wise? I forget what you're holding, if anything.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Bunch of economists are predicting a recession after news that unemployment is up to 5% and # of new jobs is way lower than usual.

Time to carefully watch my index funds, and if domestic dips down a lot, and Europe/Pacific/EmergingMarkets do not, I'm going to rebalance.

Terrible start for 2008, just awful

Awesome for me. :D

I just started working 1 year ago, and there's so many grossly overpriced stocks on the market. Just look at Amazon.

http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=AMZN

Even after taking today's hit, the P/E is fucking 103. That's fucking insane on tech stock crash levels all over again. Amazon is a great company, but it doesn't matter if you're paying that much per earning. All it takes is a little nudge in consumer confidence, and all of that artificial value comes down like an avalanche.

History is always repeated.

It happened in the 1600s, with the tulip bulb craze. It happened in the early 1800s with the South Sea Company. It happened in 1929. It happened again 1970s/1980s, when a stock just with technology in the name got you more "value." It happened again with .com. And it's happening again. People are idiots.

Javaman

Cheesemeister said:
Cool, I lost $632.83 today! I wonder how much I'll lose tomorrow...

I'm down $2,200 today. :( At least NBITX finally gave back the dividends or cap gains they owed me from several weeks ago.

ArtG

Ether_Snake said:
ArtG: Sort of difficult to pick the bottom tho. What you consider cheap right now could turn out to be expensive compared to the shares' value a couple of weeks from now. I hate these market conditions. I invest longterm, but even then I remain wary. Right now only IMMR is biting me in the ass big time, bought it at 17.01 and that turned out to be almost the peak, it's trading at around 12. Everything else I'm confident on, and I know TTWO will keep on wobbling but I'm patient on that one. CGT and ATVI are my only sure keepers I can sleep on, altho I'm not buying more of ATVI even tho I probably should, simply because I place my available funds in CGT when I have more.

It really depends on your time horizon. If you feel that the company is cheap right now based on what you see in terms of valuation and you have the available cash to make the trade, it's probably a good buying opportunity. Sure, you might miss the actual bottom, but chasing bottoms can get you in trouble and miss the wave back up. Honestly, for a technology company like Intel, getting them at $22 is pretty damn good for the long-term, especially considering they have a respectable dividend yield. (Which they've increased recently)

Maybe we've got more to fall, but don't go chasing bottoms, my friend. It'll drive you crazy.

Top Bottom