• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WSB seems to think Gamestonk can go higher and hurt MelCap more. Anyone have their own expertise on this?

Nobody really knows. It's all a bunch of idiots with varying levels of knowledge (some with a lot, some with none) speculating and hyping each other up.

The one thing that is certain with investing is that nothing is certain.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ah shit, got a warning that I might be marked as a day trader from Robinhood. Account only at $18k and don't want to put in enough to hit $25k to remove the restriction.

What a goofy fucking restriction, though. I guess they put it in place when tons of people got into day trading during the original dot com bubble in 2000.
wait, i signed up today on Robinhood. bought AMC and BB. when can i sell this trash lmao.

my plan was to sell in a week.

ManofOne

Plus Member
MELVIN CAPITAL CLOSES BET!!!

Melvin Capital has exited its bet against GameStop, having lost billions of dollars after a battle with amateur traders who pushed up the share price of the game retailer and other companies it had bet against. The hedge fund’s exit from the heavily traded stock, after it sustained significant losses, marks a triumph for retail traders co-ordinating on Reddit message boards.

The New York firm, founded by Gabe Plotkin, a protégé of Point72 founder Steve Cohen, was forced earlier this week to seek a $2.75bn cash injection from its larger rivals Citadel and Point72, after it had lost about $3.75bn, or 30 per cent, in the first three weeks of the year, according to two people familiar with the matter. “Melvin Capital has repositioned our portfolio over the past few days,” said the firm. “We have closed out our position in [GameStop].”

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Is this the article from earlier where they closed out part of it or is this new info?

4h hours ago posted on FT. They said he all out.

Another high-profile short seller, Carson Block, told the Financial Times on Wednesday that his hedge fund Muddy Waters had “significantly cut” its short positions “across the board”. “It’s not rocket science — massively reduce your shorts or risk going out of business,” Mr Block said. “This phase will pass, but in the meantime it’s best to be a spectator rather than a participant.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
4h hours ago posted on FT. They said he all out.

Another high-profile short seller, Carson Block, told the Financial Times on Wednesday that his hedge fund Muddy Waters had “significantly cut” its short positions “across the board”. “It’s not rocket science — massively reduce your shorts or risk going out of business,” Mr Block said. “This phase will pass, but in the meantime it’s best to be a spectator rather than a participant.
WSB is still holding

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
wait, i signed up today on Robinhood. bought AMC and BB. when can i sell this trash lmao.

my plan was to sell in a week.

Just can’t buy and sell any single stock (any security actually) in the same day more than 3 times in a single day (market hours) is my understanding. You won’t get flagged even if you sell tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delf

Banned
I'm a couple hundred into Nokia..

Holding my cheeks... let's good
97IsDG2.jpg

You heard the lady. BUY AND HOOOOLD!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WSB degenerates saying it’s all lies to push the price down so they can take less of a loss (or even short some more!). Who knows what’s really true. I can’t sell today anyway, so it’s ride or die for me.
Totally.

So Melvin liquidated its short position in what? Two days? Maybe. Doubt it.

Non-memers: should I buy some non-joke stocks on sale before close today, or wait for them to keep going lower if WSB keeps up its trolling?
Absolutely buy today and if they go lower tomorrow buy more. I'm a huuuuuge pussy so I've just been adding to my blue chips and indexes today while they've been getting beaten down a bit. The GME run up has been fun as hell to watch though.

Last edited:

TylerD

This is all very entertaining.

My ex-wife (divorced 12/14/2020) told me that she bought 20 shares of GameStop at $61. Since she didn't have any savings to speak of before we were divorced, so I'm making lots of money right now? :( Though today she said that she doesn't want to go through with the QDRO for half of my 401k with my current employer to get transferred to her so that's nice.

Last edited:
Non-memers: should I buy some non-joke stocks on sale before close today, or wait for them to keep going lower if WSB keeps up its trolling?
I made some "serious" purchases in my stonk account today after getting out of an AMC call that I had and was totally unrelated to any of the activity of yesterday or today. I have 20% of my stonk account in cash as well.

If you like something at X you'll like it even more at X-2.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I bought AMC for $15 and sold at $19.20. Wondering if I should have kept it, but I made a couple hundred off the small amount I put in. I don't really like watching things like this. I like my longer term investments that don't require this much attention :messenger_tears_of_joy:

YOLO, I put $2000 in AMC. If I wake up and I'm up to $10,000 tomorrow, some of you guys are getting Gold.

I bought AMC for $15 and sold at $19.20. Wondering if I should have kept it, but I made a couple hundred off the small amount I put in. I don't really like watching things like this. I like my longer term investments that don't require this much attention :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm all about my S&P 500 ETFs and do not trade regular stocks at all, but I'm going with this. It seems like AMC's activity is tracking GME right now.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
YOLO, I put $2000 in AMC. If I wake up and I'm up to $10,000 tomorrow, some of you guys are getting Gold.

I'm all about my S&P 500 ETFs and do not trade regular stocks at all, but I'm going with this. It seems like AMC's activity is tracking GME right now.
AMC afterhours dropped to $16 right now.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Facebook beats by $0.64, beats on revs, expects revenue growth rate to remain stable or modestly accelerate sequentially in Q1 and Q2, reaffirms FY21 expense and capex guidance

Top Bottom