• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NVDA up 4%.

IMMR up over 3% after announcing they'll be selling some VR medical/surgery stuff from another company around the world.

kathode

AAPL tearing it up with a 4% gain.
NTDOY earnings in three days... or thereabouts, depending on what three days means in crazy Japan time :)

Anyone thinking that it might be good to jump back in TTWO?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Of course it can go higher as GTA sales materialize, even if they are taken into account to some extent. I think whatever the case, you can be a winner with TTWO long-term. I sold at 25.75 because I had been saying for a while that I was waiting for them to get bought by something like Viacom or Newscorp, some non-game business, and in my head I was aiming for around 24$ a share. So when EA made its move, I felt it wasn't as likely to happen, and sold above my initial target anyway. With ATVI I kept my shares because even tho my target was actually 27$ (bought at 17), merging with Vivendi implies that IMO they could go much higher still. EA on the other hand, I was saying recently how I might jump in (even tho I was never interested in them, as I had said before I don't like the company's management and believe they can fall hard) because it was getting fairly low. That was back when it was worth 47, I didn't have enough money tho.

TTWO IMO, even if they fell again for whatever reason, I could sleep on it. Eventually they WILL be bought, and if for some reason they aren't it will be because the company will have been in top shape by then, but really it's unlikely that even if the EA offer drops (they just lowered the offer, which is utterly ridiculous considering GTA is on the corner and hype is building up, and the price went up anyway) no one else would come in for a better price. I'm sure it will happen, eventually.

But until then, anything goes with that stock. It could go down significantly in the short term, or up. No way to know, I just know I could sleep on it. The reason I'm not buying is that I've already made my money, and I can't put a target price on TTWO at this point anymore unlike when I bought it. So if I can't think of a target price for a stock, I don't buy it. For all I know they could be bought for 27$ or 35$, I have no idea at this point!:p

When I'll have some funds (damn GTAIV which forces me to buy my PS3 and HD TV this month), I will probably buy something like BA, GR, CELG, CRDN (a bit risky), or CM (I'm probably forgetting one). We'll see, until then I'm just on the watch:p

EDIT: UBI is back above 60 euros again.

EDIT2: GR earnings on the 24th, before the opening. Damn. CRDN on the 25th. BA on the 23rd! WFR on the 24th (not buying cause I have enough tech).

kathode

NTDOY over $70 finally. Now my dilemma - sell now or wait for earnings? :)

NFLX plummeted today nearly 24% on poor outlook. So I bought in first thing in after-hours trading. In @ 29.99, here's hoping for a bounce back in the next few weeks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BA up thanks to good earnings.

I cry inside, for not having had money to invest;~(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Argh I really missed my chance on BA. That's a few I wanted to buy that I missed so far, such as ADBE:|

At least NVDA is back above 20.

UBI earnings for the year this Friday.

ADSK up 4%. Good day good day. Let's go for 13,000!

kathode

Well once again Nintendo makes money hand over fist, but who cares right? Because all that really matters is that their forecast is off by about 3% from analyst expectations, so the stock falls. Sometimes I hate investors.

argon

kathode said:
Well once again Nintendo makes money hand over fist, but who cares right? Because all that really matters is that their forecast is off by about 3% from analyst expectations, so the stock falls. Sometimes I hate investors.

To be fair, the stock has had an incredible run up since February. I regret selling my shares at that time.

People are understandably worried about the yen continuing to appreciate against the euro and dollar. As the yen appreciates, Japanese exporters' revenues (in yen) will fall. The fact that they underestimated the yen this quarter and still beat their estimates is a testament to the strength of the company, though.

(now, imagine what their profits would be like if the Fed hadn't gone crazy cutting rates...)

anyone jumping in on starbux within the next week or so? i think when i sell off my TTWo i'm gonna jump in on SBUX, DELL, some more WM, maybe more NDN and just let them all sit and not touch anything for the rest of the year or more. :lol

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
anyone jumping in on starbux within the next week or so? i think when i sell off my TTWo i'm gonna jump in on SBUX, DELL, some more WM, maybe more NDN and just let them all sit and not touch anything for the rest of the year or more. :lol

No way. Starbucks is at the point where it is being consumed by its own hugeness. They could slim down the chain, but then they wouldn't be taking in as much revenue.

i look at is as them being at the lowest they've been at in like 10 years. thats like bargain basement pricing. its not like they are going anywhere. Its the mcdonalds or coke/pepsi of coffee.

Tarazet

MobiusPigeon said:
i look at is as them being at the lowest they've been at in like 10 years. thats like bargain basement pricing. its not like they are going anywhere. Its the mcdonalds or coke/pepsi of coffee.

There are a lot of stocks trading at their lowest level in 10 years. But most of them aren't getting hammered by increased fuel/commodity costs and declining usership, as Starbucks is.

Milabrega

kathode said:
NTDOY over $70 finally. Now my dilemma - sell now or wait for earnings? .

Finally over $70 again, exactly how I feel heh. My dilemma is sell now or sell next quarter. I don't have anything I'd immediate need the cash for now or even any other investments I'd like to make, but will after next quarter, however I'm worried about the next 3 months.

kathode

Milabrega said:
Finally over $70 again, exactly how I feel heh. My dilemma is sell now or sell next quarter. I don't have anything I'd immediate need the cash for now or even any other investments I'd like to make, but will after next quarter, however I'm worried about the next 3 months.

It's down to $67. The ADR reports it at $71 for the time being because they're slow to update, but the highest bid is $67.75. See this site for a more accurate price -
http://www.pinksheets.com/pink/quote/quote.jsp?symbol=NTDOY#getQuote

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Soka said:
Ford just kicked ass today. Pulled up out of the red thanks to today. Now just need WB and MRK to go up and I'll be all green.

Yeah I thought about you when I saw. Good for you:D

ADSK was up 5.57% today, thanks for forecast boost. I'm glad, I bought at 32.23 or so and it,s now trading at 37.53. I have a mid 40s target.

Now if only NVDA could go up. Earnings on May 8th.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IMMR up 14.54% right now (due to rumors of iPhone using Haptics :lol ).

ADSK up 2.48%

I wish I had gotten in IMMR at the bottom, not close to the top!:lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Like I said before I'll probably never break even on IMMR, unless that iPod rumor is true:p It dropped a lot in after hours anyway.

WFR went down after disappointing results (don't have any shares of them but was interested in the past).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't, but anyone who owned WWY is now a happy man:p

I just looked at the company's ratios and it was very good. Oh well, never knew about them!

I bought some LULU in an effort to diversify away from tech stocks. Here's to hoping the Olympics and the whole yoga-healthy-fad drives it up.

kathode

Owning 325k shares of a 2 cent stock is lots of fun. On a good day like today, I'm all like :D but on bad days, I'm more like D:

kathode

Not a bad day for me. SDVI advanced 4/10ths of a cent. That's a cool $1300 for me :lol

Visa raced ahead 7% despite missing analyst estimates on earnings. Buoyed by stellar earnings from MasterCard (that stock up 13%!).

AAPL up 1.63% to cross $175 for the first time in a while. Getting nervous about this one as I think it might be due for a small turnaround. I'm confident it could end the year above $200 though.

NTDOY not looking too shabby at $69.50.

Some pullbacks though. NFLX and TNP both down about 2.5%. TNP had a major surge yesterday on no news that I can see so it's kind of expected, and still up, anyway. Still up on NFLX as well.

kathode

Soka said:
Penny stocks always looked fun, I'm just too scared to actually go in on them at this point.

Rest assured, it will be back down again. Profit takers on penny stocks are the worst. You can see sell action jump on a tenth of a cent increase. It takes some real news to push them up. Luckily SDVI is trying to uplist to the OTC boards and Mazes of Fate might do some business on the DS, so I think they're reasonably well positioned. I would never recommend anyone get involved in a penny stock though :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IMMR +2.84%, CGT +0.42%, ADSK +0.96%, NVDA +2.07%, ATVI -0.22%

BTW CRDN is up 6.27% due to financial results.
COOL +5.69% (very risky stock)
Ubisoft is back above 65 euros.

yayaba

Can anyone help me with picking a good mutual fund? I opened up my first IRA last year and I sunk it into Fidelity's Freedom 2050 fund. I decided to go more for high risk and so far the past 5-6 months I've lost about $200 in the fund, probably moreso due to the economy than anything else.

Should I worry about taking my money and sticking it into another fund? I just don't want to get into a case where once I'm 65 (I'm 25 now), my money will have only grown a paltry amount.

On that note, is there any company or anyone I can hire to take care of my mutual fund picks? I'm not really sure I know enough to manage this stuff myself...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IMMR up 11% today. This stock has been very profitable for anyone who got in over the past two weeks (not me tho):p

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
yayaba said:
Can anyone help me with picking a good mutual fund? I opened up my first IRA last year and I sunk it into Fidelity's Freedom 2050 fund. I decided to go more for high risk and so far the past 5-6 months I've lost about $200 in the fund, probably moreso due to the economy than anything else.

Should I worry about taking my money and sticking it into another fund? I just don't want to get into a case where once I'm 65 (I'm 25 now), my money will have only grown a paltry amount.

On that note, is there any company or anyone I can hire to take care of my mutual fund picks? I'm not really sure I know enough to manage this stuff myself...

I can't really recommend a mutual fund, because in the long run they get beaten by the general market (S&P500, Nasdaq). It's because those fees that you pay for management, and because the few good managers in a fund tend to not manage for more than a few years.

What was the high risk fund? Because in nearly every case, the best returns are by buying and holding. What you're doing is succumbing to a classic text book behavioral investing case, where you buy high when times are good and sell low when times are bad. By doing this you're missing the strong returns from high risk funds when things rebound, and paying commission fees.

In investing, risk is defined by large variations in value. But in the long run, you get higher returns. The opposite is also true.

I think in your case, you'd be best off by diversifying among funds in different sectors and countries, and rebalancing annually. The overall portfolio will climb more smoothly, and you'll slightly increase the returns that you're currently getting. But buy index funds from now on.

If you'd like to understand why, and understand investing a bit more, read this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071494707/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Personally, I'm doing something similar to what I recommended with diversified index funds. I'm studying fundamental analysis and investing in general over the next few years, and then I'll do some trading. But I'm still going to buy and hold for the most part.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW Infogrammes and Atari merged.

COOL was up 4.5% today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nice day today; NVDA +4.62% and ADSK +3.45% (but down 2% in AH).

Tideas

Banned
I'm thinking about hitting Ford if tomorrow's economic news is bad.

Man, stocks need to stop going up and start going down! growl, hah

Javaman

Tideas said:
I'm thinking about hitting Ford if tomorrow's economic news is bad.

Man, stocks need to stop going up and start going down! growl, hah

That's a negatory.
I'm up 14%, 8%, 18%, and 11% on my mutual funds since the low on March 10th. Who knows what the market is really going to do, but I'm betting on the Bull. Now that the feds are expected to stop cutting interest rates, people are likely going to start moving out of commodities and back to the stock market. When the inevitable bottom falls out of gold (and oil to a much lesser extent) it's going to be a wild ride for anyone still hanging on to them.

2hxm152.jpg

It was entirely lucky timing, but I love how it was posted just 9 hours before the bottom of the market. :lol

65wrgx.jpg

kathode

Had to work offsite all morning so I was just able to log in and see my stocks gadget on my google homepage. Not a bad day so far :D

2emo6pw.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow nice guys, good for you:)

IMMR tanked after bad earnings. Not surprised. POS I've been keeping under the rug for a while:p

Other than that I've had a good week, NVDA especially. ADSK up again today, only 0.28% NVDA up 4.78% (up around 3$ this week).

ATVI, CGT, NVDA and ADSK will all release their earnings this month, for some reason I can't look up the dates right now on Yahoo.

It really sucks I didn't have more money on me earlier in April; ADBE, CM, BA, and possibly CRDN (altho less likely) were on my buy list.

I'll have to wait around two to four weeks before I buy anything again.

Top Bottom