• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

GHG

Tesla's pretty surprising to me. I guess people didn't feel as positive about the ambitions of the company as they said.

I've said this for years but people don't seem to understand the fact that once the big car brands really start to transition away from petrol engines (which for some will only be when they are forced to do so due to the good margins they have on their current engines/tech) then they are going to struggle.

Being first does not necessarily mean you are the best. They are pretty much enjoying free reign on the EV market... for now. It wont be like that forever and once the juggernaut brands in Japan and Europe start focusing all of their resources and marketing budget towards their EV cars they are going to struggle. A lot of these brands know how to build, sell and maintain cars (and with great efficiency), they have been doing so for decades and fundamentally that's what it's about.

The iphone wasn't the first smartphone.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I've said this for years but people don't seem to understand the fact that once the big car brands really start to transition away from petrol engines (which for some will only be when they are forced to do so due to the good margins they have on their current engines/tech) then they are going to struggle.

Being first does not necessarily mean you are the best. They are pretty much enjoying free reign on the EV market... for now. It wont be like that forever and once the juggernaut brands in Japan and Europe start focusing all of their resources and marketing budget towards their EV cars they are going to struggle. A lot of these brands know how to build, sell and maintain cars (and with great efficiency), they have been doing so for decades and fundamentally that's what it's about.

The iphone wasn't the first smartphone.

You've been wrong for years then lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Down another 5%. This is almost like March 2020.

Stocks probably down 15% in the past 3 weeks. Luckily my portfolio is about 50% cash, so overall down about 8% from the all time high.

GHG

Recovery starting?

Before you buy anything check it's current value against the SMA200 because that's what we are looking at the moment. If it's still far above that then think some more.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Recovery starting?
dont you dare steve carell GIF by hero0fwar

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

down 2 orth

Since oil is looking attractive at the moment, I thought I'd share a really good book for those who don't mind doing homework.

The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power puts a lot of context into why oil is so valuable, and why it has always been a very good bet. I've been told this book is also required reading in a lot of MBA and economics programs. You can download it free at this link (no sing in, tracker cookies or malware) or I can email the PDF on request.

Warning: This is a large book, but it's also a good read.

mango drank

Fidelity warning me that PDBC is meant for aggressive growth and having me agree to random stuff w/r/t volatility. Meanwhile ARK was just fine. :pie_eyeroll:

Is there anything particularly dangerous or weird w/r/t taxes for PDBC? I see it doesn't trigger getting a K-1 like its cousin DBC.

longdi

Banned
probably end up red by the close.
nasdaq avoiding correction territory? what will be cnbc after the facts narrative if so? we had a week of 10yr yield brooding over us, hopefully it is the past

Last edited:
Today is going to be interesting. One of my covered calls expires today. Strike price is 25 and the stock is 23 right now. It was 31 last week. I guess optimally at this point I'd like it to expire and just keep the premium, but if by some miracle FSR rises $2 today and they're called away, I'm okay with the 60% profit + cash I have for other equities that got hammered this week.

Don't worry if it gets called away. It might dip next week and you can just buy it back for cheaper.

Honey Bunny

I think it over. As I said, the correction was coming to an end. I thought by Tuesday but looking at the price action just now. A massive buyer just entered the mix and the yields are falling
What's to stop the yields continuing to increase throughout the year though?

Don't worry if it gets called away. It might dip next week and you can just buy it back for cheaper.
Yeah I'm not worried either way. It just sucked last week when the stock price sailed almost $7 above the strike price so I missed out on potential profit. I definitely would have unloaded some of those shares.

ManofOne

Plus Member
What's to stop the yields continuing to increase throughout the year though?

O it’s going to increase prob by 2.0% but it will be a gradual rise rather than the instant basis point increases we’ve been seeing. Stocks were over sold as well.

If you did a sensitivity analysis for your stock (which I recommend you do). Adjust it for 2.0% risk free rate and you will see that ur value is prob nearer to the current stock price.

Most of my stocks are near that with the exclusion of 4/5.

dem

Deep in the Covid selloff I went hard on Manulife and Enbridge.... loving that right now.

Gains and a juicy dividend

Oh heyyyy... I'm at all time highs again...
Or awful close anyway..

Dont. Stop. Me. Nowww.

Last edited:

GHG

This period has been a bloodbath for CLII.

The positive is that it's now more realistically priced.

Top Bottom