• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Anyone just straight up trade Tesla on rapid fire? I am considering a little play investment to just buy and sell the highs and lows of Tesla. So volatile that if you have access to cheap trades I swear you could just flip it minute by minute or day by day or week to week and build a nice growth out it. I'm fucking tempted to see how I'd go. Might just buy a couple/few shares to toy around with e.g. in the last couple of days alone there has been swings of approx $50-$100 per share at any given time.

Also I'm eye balling this Aussie mining company as well Lynas Rare Earths Ltd (ASX stock code: LYC). They're in the spotlight for "quad" push back against China market dominance of rare earth metals. Aussie Prime Minister launched a roadmap for this to happen. The four countries within the "Quad" are getting serious here, will be some time to scale production though so doubt it is a short term win.

Last edited:

GHG

Anyone just straight up trade Tesla on rapid fire? I am considering a little play investment to just buy and sell the highs and lows of Tesla. So volatile that if you have access to cheap trades I swear you could just flip it minute by minute or day by day or week to week and build a nice growth out it. I'm fucking tempted to see how I'd go. Might just buy a couple/few shares to toy around with e.g. in the last couple of days alone there has been swings of approx $50-$100 per share at any given time.

That's pretty much the reason why I bought one share today, just as a little experimentation. My thinking is if I get stuck with it for a while then... I'm stuck with it for a while, it's Tesla.

I'll see how it behaves over the next couple of days and then go from there.

But yeh, a lot of people exclusively day trade/scalp Tesla because of how volatile it is intraday.

That's pretty much the reason why I bought one share today, just as a little experimentation. My thinking is if I get stuck with it for a while then... I'm stuck with it for a while, it's Tesla.

I'll see how it behaves over the next couple of days and then go from there.

But yeh, a lot of people exclusively day trade/scalp Tesla because of how volatile it is intraday.

I've got two investments with Tesla already, one a trust and the other personal. I'm curious how I'd go at pseudo day trading as a third play around.

longdi

Banned
i don't think tech stocks will go up for rest of the year and longer. the post covid run up was too hot and need a long time for valuation to fall in balance.

not going to look at my portfolio and just buying up vt etf monthly

betrayal

Banned
Depends on the time line. But I get what youre asking.

I'm about 25% above pre-covid levels. Just off my all time high. Not as good as people who caught on with tech stocks, but at one time I was -40% a year ago to this day. I think lunch time March 18, 2020 was rock bottom day.

Since rock bottom, my portfolio has roughly doubled.

Thanks for the reply. But I rather wanted to know the absolute monetary values that are also spent on life, leisure and fun and not percentages.

My experience is simply that many are always enthusiastic about certain forms of investment, but then somehow forget to enjoy themselves with the money earned. Others overvalue everything and don't even realize that alternatives would have been better and more effective for them. And there are others who are always happy when stocks etc. go up, but the bottom line is that they hardly earn a real cent that they can spend on other things...and that should be the ultimate goal.

joe_zazen

Thanks for the reply. But I rather wanted to know the absolute monetary values that are also spent on life, leisure and fun and not percentages.

My experience is simply that many are always enthusiastic about certain forms of investment, but then somehow forget to enjoy themselves with the money earned. Others overvalue everything and don't even realize that alternatives would have been better and more effective for them. And there are others who are always happy when stocks etc. go up, but the bottom line is that they hardly earn a real cent that they can spend on other things...and that should be the ultimate goal.

like in terms of dollar value? I don't take money out of my brokerage account unless I need something like a new roof, so basically zero.

That isn't to say I don't spend money on my family for things like vacations etc, just that that isn't taken out of brokerage account, but rainy day fund.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Eh, most people here work day jobs too. There's such a thing as retirement you know, not to mention other responsibilities like family, mortgages, home repair.

I think your observation has a huge blind spot.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Chinese Military bans Tesla cars in its complexes on concern over interior camera​

• Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) +0.8% premarket, has been banned from Chinese military complexes and housing compounds on fear of sensitive data being collected by cameras built into the vehicles - Bloomberg.
  • Tesla car owners are ordered to park their car outside of military property.
  • Most of the Tesla models have an interior camera mounted above the rear view mirror.
  • Earlier today, Geely announces launching new electric vehicle to compete with Tesla.

GHG

Chinese Military bans Tesla cars in its complexes on concern over interior camera​

• Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) +0.8% premarket, has been banned from Chinese military complexes and housing compounds on fear of sensitive data being collected by cameras built into the vehicles - Bloomberg.
  • Tesla car owners are ordered to park their car outside of military property.
  • Most of the Tesla models have an interior camera mounted above the rear view mirror.
  • Earlier today, Geely announces launching new electric vehicle to compete with Tesla.

See the impact me holding one share of Tesla has had already.

To the mantle! ☢️☣️☢️

ManofOne

Plus Member

As yield forecasts ramp up, a Fed taper could come sooner than you think: At the Open​

• There's some stability in the Treasury market this morning, with a little buying support after the previous session's big selloff.
  • The 10-year yield is off 4 basis points to 1.69% after topping 1.75% yesterday. The 30-year is down 6 basis points to 2.42%.
  • (NYSEARCA:TBT) -1.4% (NASDAQ:TLT) +1%
  • BofA raised its end-year target for the 10-year to 2.15%, above consensus, citing "much more aggressive" fiscal stimulus and the vaccine rollout.
  • Optimism about growth, combined with the dovishness and new average inflation targeting policy of the Fed, has brought about the rapid surge in yields year to date (the 10-year was at 0.92% at the close of 2020).
  • There has also been the specter of the "taper tantrum" hovering over the bond market, when yields spiked sharply in 2013 when then-Fed Chief Ben Bernanke announced reduction of bond purchases sometime in the future.
  • Fed Chairman Jay Powell has been at pains to avoid that kind of reaction. At his Wednesday press conference he said it's "not yet" time to "talk about talking about" tapering bond purchases, adding that the Fed would need to see "actual progress, not forecast progress.
  • "While markets clearly hate bad news, they also hate uncertainty, and repulse against needing to guess on policy trajectory versus having greater transparency of a plan from those at the wheel of the ship,” Rick Rieder, BlackRock’s Chief Investment Officer of Global Fixed Income writes “While the Fed was very clear about continuing to provide accommodation, our sense is that the markets will continue anticipating how they will have to adjust policy, particularly if economic data continues to impress.”
  • But Rieder says that the Fed will likely be able to trim its $120B-per-month asset purchases sooner than most people expect and maybe before the end of the year.
  • The announcement could come as early at the June meeting.
  • Tapering "at the front-end of the yield curve, while letting front-end rates move marginally higher can have real benefits to savings for consumers and investors," he adds.
  • Eventually "tapering at the front-end of the yield curve, while still buying longer-dated Treasuries is consistent with sopping up a good deal of the issuance from the U.S, Treasury to fund the fiscal stimulus/deficits, while keeping broader financing costs lower and maintaining great economic certainty without necessarily spurring questions of overheating and its potential influence on inflation."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I purposely avoided not stating $$$ amounts.

Like most people in this thread, I dont. We usually state %'s and have fun chatting stocks.

Why would we want to to tell you our portfolio size and how we spend our money? Looking at your posting history, the only time you've posted in this thread is to asking how much in dollar value we are making. And why would you ask for a friend? And why would he care either?

joe_zazen

Like most people in this thread, I dont. We usually state %'s and have fun chatting stocks.

Why would we want to to tell you our portfolio size and how we spend our money? Looking at your posting history, the only time you've posted in this thread is to asking how much in dollar value we are making. And why would you ask for a friend? And why would he care either?

where do you live? asking for a friend.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Glad I picked up some reverse etfs yesterday. This market sell off looks not to be done until 10 year hits 2.0%.

The FED will have to step in.

betrayal

Banned

In case it wasn't obvious enough, I personally don't think too much of the sometimes enormous glorification that has nothing to do with reality. Sometimes I get the impression that a lot of people waste their time talking about money, stocks and trends instead of really making money and living.

I do a little with stocks and funds, but I feel more comfortable with the sale and rental of real estate (but of course that depends on personal preferences and the country in which you live). I have also only briefly glanced over the thread and always find it a bit questionable when people who have no idea of the matter could get the impression that everyone can quickly make a lot of money with it.

This is of course only my personal opinion and should not represent any attack or the like on anyone here.

Ah well, just gonna be another one of those days.

giphy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In case it wasn't obvious enough, I personally don't think too much of the sometimes enormous glorification that has nothing to do with reality. Sometimes I get the impression that a lot of people waste their time talking about money, stocks and trends instead of really making money and living.

I do a little with stocks and funds, but I feel more comfortable with the sale and rental of real estate (but of course that depends on personal preferences and the country in which you live). I have also only briefly glanced over the thread and always find it a bit questionable when people who have no idea of the matter could get the impression that everyone can quickly make a lot of money with it.

This is of course only my personal opinion and should not represent any attack or the like on anyone here.
Those are stupid assumptions to make.

Not everyone who invests in the market have giant portfolios. Everyone starts small at some point. And some people in this thread do fake portfolios to test the waters as they will jump in later when they pool some cash together.

Why you would make assumptions on people on a gaming board talking stocks to make money and fun =/= making real money and living is weird.

I do real estate too. I flip properties every 5 years. It goes together with my stocks as the goal is to make cash, enjoy life and retire early if possible.

I do a little with stocks and funds, but I feel more comfortable with the sale and rental of real estate (but of course that depends on personal preferences and the country in which you live).
If you dont do stocks much, then maybe you shouldnt open your mouth.

You seem to have only posted in this board a handful of times, where your goal right off the bat is knowing how much money people are making and how big their portfolio is trying to assess people's situation if it's worth doing.

Not the right way to join a discussion.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

If your only goal in investing is the prize, you're going to have a bad time.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Got any idea why? I was considering buying some PFSI (They manage my mortgage) they spiked yesterday and PLUMMETED today. Looks like a lot of financials are in the same boat.

Yep, the FED is just prevented an extension of the supplementary leverage ratio. Essentially it was a rule that was designed so that banks would hold less capital against positions like Treasury and calm the bond market during the heighted of the pandemic and allow more liquidity.

How much profit have you guys already made?

And I mean pure cash, which has not been reinvested.

Asking for a friend.

I've re-invested every last penny I've made. I plan to do this until I can quit working. Unfortunately that seems to be when I'm in my 50's or even 60's unless my investments start to really take off.

joe_zazen

the power of a podcast: Erik Townsend's Macro Voices had ABXX ceo on the show today, and the stock went up like 12% an hour after release. profit-taking left it up about 5% for the day.

I am going to have to pay closer attention to their upcoming guest list, lol.

& for anyone interested in a green shitcoin, the inventor of Bit Torrent (bram cohen?) is getting ready to launch Chia coin. it's version of mining involves using hard drive space instead of energy and gpus. I'll probably take a look since bitcoin really needs to have a carbon tax on it.

Top Bottom