• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

SpartanN92

Banned
How we feeling about the Vizio IPO?
I bought a Vizio 3D tv in 2011 just to play Halo CE Anniversary in 3D 🤪 I think I used the feature like twice. That few years after Avatar came out were weird 😂

Aside from that it’s been a good tv. When I got a 4K screen I moved it to the guest bedroom. It’s been a good TV going on 10 years now.

joe_zazen

negative deposit rates coming to US, bloomberg:

TxJS4a7.png

also Curious to see how Abaxx does tomorrow after more people listen to Macro Voices interview over the weekend. CEO said they are still in essentially a pre-IPO phase which is why they listed on a boutique market in Canada before moving to nasdaq in the fall. They wanted more liquidity than 'buy stock by appointment' companies could offer, but they didn't want a big listing too soon. This is the weirdest microcap I've invested in.

They are going to need 10M USD for the Singapore clearing house deposit before the summer, so I wonder if a cap raise is coming. they filed a sedar form for possible prospectus issue in early march, so probably yes.. lots of fun watching this one.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
negative deposit rates coming to US, bloomberg:

TxJS4a7.png

also Curious to see how Abaxx does tomorrow after more people listen to Macro Voices interview over the weekend. CEO said they are still in essentially a pre-IPO phase which is why they listed on a boutique market in Canada before moving to nasdaq in the fall. They wanted more liquidity than 'buy stock by appointment' companies could offer, but they didn't want a big listing too soon. This is the weirdest microcap I've invested in.

They are going to need 10M USD for the Singapore clearing house deposit before the summer, so I wonder if a cap raise is coming. they filed a sedar form for possible prospectus issue in early march, so probably yes.. lots of fun watching this one.

Negative deposit rates are a bad thing for a bank. It reduces their NIM margins but what you have to look out for.

Short term rates barely moved and a majority of a bank's assets are under 10 years excluding mortgages and some fixed products.

So if short term rates dont shift it affects profitability. Also higher reserves hurt ROE as that income is barely earning anything and its just underutilized capital that weighs on a bank's balance sheet.

However, this places pressure on other things like investment and trading income which is likely to do well in this environment plus,

a reduction in NPL and improved economic outlook shifts provisional expenses downwards which can also improved profitability.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
ManofOne ManofOne , any thoughts on digital currencies? lots of people are nervous.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-digital-dollar-momentum-worries-wall-street

cryptos, payment systems, dollar reserve, SWIFT, competition from China's digital currency, so much disruption potential. Will this be the ultimate form of government surveillance and control, or is it going to be ssid/defi friendly...exciting times.
1OUBYOb.jpg

Nah, fintech has been here for a while and while they may call them disruptions, banks will always be at the forefront since they serve as the all important role for the central bank. Disruptions take a very long time to get established.

Look at Robinhood for example, the media called them a trading house disruption but once GME incident exploded, they fell back into the traditional mechanisms that make traditional brokerage houses better.

One thing I've learned is never bet against the banks. The people they employ are smarter than the people working in silicon valley.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Btw banks and energy are taking a beating. So ill reduce some positions today to lock in profits.

if this shifting between tech and non tech continues. It hurts portfolios in the medium term.

joe_zazen

Nah, fintech has been here for a while and while they may call them disruptions, banks will always be at the forefront since they serve as the all important role for the central bank. Disruptions take a very long time to get established.

Look at Robinhood for example, the media called them a trading house disruption but once GME incident exploded, they fell back into the traditional mechanisms that make traditional brokerage houses better.

One thing I've learned is never bet against the banks. The people they employ are smarter than the people working in silicon valley.

If China was steamrolling ahead with it's digital currency, I'd agree.

But if the US doesn't force their own, they will lose. The advantages of digital currency in terms of speed, reduced costs, and security will annihilate traditional dollar systems. Adapt or die. defi has really opened my eyes to the revolution that is occurring. Rent seekers will be hurting.

do i sound like a bitcoin nutter? lol.

ManofOne

Plus Member
If China was steamrolling ahead with it's digital currency, I'd agree.

But if the US doesn't force their own, they will lose. The advantages of digital currency in terms of speed, reduced costs, and security will annihilate traditional dollar systems. Adapt or die. defi has really opened my eyes to the revolution that is occurring. Rent seekers will be hurting.

do i sound like a bitcoin nutter? lol.

Digital currency doesn't necessarily mean decentralized. A credit card in essence is a digital currency. It just means shifting physical currency into a digital format. China isn't going to allow decentralizing of their currency which is mean the PBOC would lose monetary control.

Same for the U.S it just taking advantage of the GEN Z hype behind anything digital.

I won't be to concerned.

Eh, I'm still holding super long, I at least want to see Orladeyo sales numbers start coming in.
I think you're at a much lower average than me. I knew we'd probably see closer to 10 again before it all comes to a head later this year but I didn't take profits when I should've. I'm sure EU approval will pump this thing back up. And beyond that, I'm sure we'll be sitting pretty. I would've just liked to have been able to buy more with house money.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
Expectations for this week:

Everything stays green until tonight when around 6am the 10 year yield magically inches back up to 1.7% and the tech blood bath continues!

Meanwhile Russia and Iran say “We are gonna add another 2 million or so barrels of oil into the market everyday because FUCK YOU!”

ManofOne

Plus Member
If you've checked previous reports, you won't see such a dispersion. Even economist aren't sure what to expect in the next 12 months. Once summer hits we will either see a second wave of a virus or a first wave of massive consumer spending.

I forgot about AirTasker IPO on the ASX this week. Stupid me! Missed out on a jump from $0.65 (where I could have gotten in) to $1.16, it has settled back to $1.00 now.

source.gif

joe_zazen

Digital currency doesn't necessarily mean decentralized. A credit card in essence is a digital currency. It just means shifting physical currency into a digital format. China isn't going to allow decentralizing of their currency which is mean the PBOC would lose monetary control.

Same for the U.S it just taking advantage of the GEN Z hype behind anything digital.

I won't be to concerned.

decentralised does not have to be anonymous or untraceable. It can be, or it can be the exact opposite. The speed, cost, and trust benefits remain either way. this is the point of digital currencies...unless they specifically kneecap the tech to please rent seekers.

ManofOne

Plus Member
decentralised does not have to be anonymous or untraceable. It can be, or it can be the exact opposite. The speed, cost, and trust benefits remain either way. this is the point of digital currencies...unless they specifically kneecap the tech to please rent seekers.

You're right push for digital currencies is mainly for cost effectiveness and regulatory control. Mainly for money laundering purposes but I don't see Bitcoin becoming the next currency.

A CB back token is more likely but it primariy depends on adoption rate. People are still wary digital currencies compared to physical.

GHG

The fuck happened to IONS.

Think I'll buy at that price thank you very much. Jesus christ the market is so over-reactive at the moment. Any morsel of good news gets hype pumped and any bad news gets dumped. Does anyone really know the value of what they are holding anymore?

joe_zazen

You're right push for digital currencies is mainly for cost effectiveness and regulatory control. Mainly for money laundering purposes but I don't see Bitcoin becoming the next currency.

A CB back token is more likely but it primariy depends on adoption rate. People are still wary digital currencies compared to physical.

Bitcoin is a rickety and defective implementation with no government backing. I don't see how it has a long term future.

China's main motivation for digital yuan isn't about money laundering or regulatory control or getting people to buy street food with it. it is removing the US' ability to cripple nations by cutting them out of the dollar-based system of international payments, which is policed by Western financial institutions. And to do that, they have offer something better.

...the digital yuan will offer modernization and benefits that businesses and individuals worldwide are seeking. Transactions occur instantaneously without the need for a bank or other intermediary. They are secured by robust encryption and tracked on an indelible digital ledger. This approach is faster, cheaper, and theoretically more secure than the current SWIFT system, under which transactions can take days to complete and which has recently been the target of multi-million dollar thefts.

China has been working with several countries and institutions to set up ways to make sure their digital currency can be converted to other fiat currencies outside of the US control system, such as Thailand and Singapore and the UAE.

Writing in Foreign Affairs in May, Aditi Kumar and Eric Rosenbach ask the reader to imagine regimes like those in Iran and North Korea being able to effortlessly skirt sanctions by conducting their transactions via digital currency services centered around Beijing. Rogue governments would not necessarily have to accept the digital yuan as a new reserve currency; China could simply export digital currency infrastructure instead of the currency itself, helping countries like Iran set up their own sovereign systems that are compatible with the yuan. This way, China would be able to undermine American influence without presenting itself as a geopolitical threat, which might be key in places like Southeast Asia where many countries are suspicious of Beijing.

Washington is therefore presented with a difficult dilemma moving forward. Pushing back against the yuan’s expanding influence might require also transitioning the dollar to a digital currency format — an idea that both private financial institutions and many voters are likely to be opposed to, the former because it would threaten their own proprietary financial software, and the latter because distrust of the federal government (and the Federal Reserve) is at the highest levels in living memory. The alternative, however, seems to be to accept that the U.S. will have to gradually cede its financial leverage over friend and foe alike.

https://www.fpri.org/article/2020/09/understanding-chinas-digital-yuan/
https://spectator.org/digital-yuan-chinas-plan-to-topple-the-usd/

I have no idea how this will play out, but china is 3-5 years ahead of the US wrt digital currencies. This is something to watch.

GHG

DLPN just made an NFT announcement...

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

Is this how it's going to be now? Companies just saying they are planning on doing or looking into NFT's to ride the hype wave and increase their share price?

BigBooper

The problem with state owned digital currency is the same problem with fiat money. No major country is going to give up the ability to manipulate their currency when they need to, and no digital currency will take over if it's value is controlled by government fiat.

GHG

Hey guys I'm going to start thinking of doing NeoGAF NFT's. I have no idea what they will entail or how profitable they will be for me but they sound good so give me money.

Kthanksbye.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Hey guys I'm going to start thinking of doing NeoGAF NFT's. I have no idea what they will entail or how profitable they will be for me but they sound good so give me money.

Kthanksbye.

I'm selling virtual pubic hairs...........$500,000

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

ManofOne

Plus Member
It looks like lockdown fears again

Mega Cap is rallying and re opening stocks are lagging. The 10 year performance seems to indicate that as well

Top Bottom