• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking good for an end of week greener. Hopefully no Friday selloff. +1% half an hour in. If it closed now, I'd be at the highest since my past Feb all time high.

If it can hold, I'm up about 7% on stocks since last Friday's big gainer. Or about +5% if I include my cash on the sidelines which sits there ready for action.

Holding Mel Gibson GIF

Last edited:

GHG

Today I'm chilling and selling calls/puts.

Looks like it's going to be mostly sideways, not much volume.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

BABA is looking pretty interesting right now...
Most definitely. The momentum is still going down, but earnings is still positive. I wonder why CFRA is still pushing for a sell rating. Lots of insiders are buying it up. I may play with it on Monday or Tues.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
End up +0.6% as it tailed off a bit in the afternoon. Good enough for me. Up nice in a week. Just slightly off my all time high. If Monday is a decent greener day, back to peak portfolio.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

My portfolio is going to get r3kt from orbit if Tesla continues being underwater by next quarter.

Also, all the shit that Elon spewed in the past few weeks regarding crypto lost him a lot of respect in my professional network. The guy sounded like a junior programmer trying to correct an architect, it was embarrassing.

This is the first time I have considered exiting Tesla since i started holding back in 2016 :/

Last edited:

My portfolio is going to get r3kt from orbit if Tesla continues being underwater by next quarter.

Also, all the shit that Elon spewed in the past few weeks regarding crypto lost him a lot of respect in my professional network. The guy sounded like a junior programmer trying to correct an architect, it was embarrassing.

This is the first time I have considered exiting Tesla since i started holding back in 2016 :/

I don’t own any Tesla. But I have 20k in this mutual fund BPTRX with a heavy position in it. I let them do the buying and selling for me. If I had 20k in individual shares I’d probably lose sleep at night.

godhandiscen

I don’t own any Tesla. But I have 20k in this mutual fund BPTRX with a heavy position in it. I let them do the buying and selling for me. If I had 20k in individual shares I’d probably lose sleep at night.

I’ve seen the stock swing so much I am desensitized to the volatility. I think I am just kind of tired of reading news of Elon acting like a clown, and that makes me want to liquidate my position.

AppleBlade

Made a decent 3.2% for the week. Shifted more to manage downside risk. Seems there's some coming soon.
You've been warned.

Do you still believe this could be true?
Market could cross 5000 at the end of the year.

I know I'm not changing my prediction of the S&P being at 4300 on 12/31/2021. I also firmly believe that no one should be changing their asset allocation based on the rather trivial amount of "noise" we are experiencing.

Last edited:
I'm in no matter what happens. I think the stock market in general is too high but if you just sit on your money it's going to lose value to inflation. As enough people retire in the coming years there will be an epic stock market drop but good luck timing it.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Do you still believe this could be true?

I know I'm not changing my prediction of the S&P being at 4300 on 12/31/2021. I also firmly believe that no one should be changing their asset allocation based on the rather trivial amount of "noise" we are experiencing.

I already responded to this. You should see the next quoted response after this.

I'm wondering if someone can help me, I'm Canadian and starting to get into investing. I was looking up how a Canadian can invest in the SP500 and found VFV, the Vanguard SP500, but the only problem it is only $89CAD and the SP500 is $4155US. At first I thought okay the wording is it "tracks" the SP500 so even if the value is different as long as the percentage gains and losses are similar then it doesn't matter, but in the last six months the SP500 went up around 14% and the VFV only went up 6%. Are there any Canadian ETFs that track the SP500 better or is just more beneficial to just buy a US stock and pay the extra in tax and if so what is that stock?

dem

I'm wondering if someone can help me, I'm Canadian and starting to get into investing. I was looking up how a Canadian can invest in the SP500 and found VFV, the Vanguard SP500, but the only problem it is only $89CAD and the SP500 is $4155US. At first I thought okay the wording is it "tracks" the SP500 so even if the value is different as long as the percentage gains and losses are similar then it doesn't matter, but in the last six months the SP500 went up around 14% and the VFV only went up 6%. Are there any Canadian ETFs that track the SP500 better or is just more beneficial to just buy a US stock and pay the extra in tax and if so what is that stock?

VFV is unhedged. The CAD has been rising which hurts the returns. If you expect the dollar to keep rising, don’t use this.

if you want to hedge use VSP

I sold GOOG and FB this morning. Not sure I should have but I gotta rethink.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
They are setting us up for failure, I can feel it.

I hope I'm wrong but it all feels too good to be true.

If inflation is short term transitory, the NASDAQ will explode but if inflation proves to be stickier then it will surely lag behind the non tech wider market.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Ellery

I'm amazed GME is still at $183. The meme crazy is still giving them lasting power. It's been 4 months since the reddit craze, but still holding.

I have been reading up on this and my knowledge/experience isn't big enough to make an educated guess based on whether the fundamentals behind the craze are actually true, but the craze is definitely still there and it has been going up for 2-3 straight weeks, the people aren't selling and it looks like everyone is stocking up more and new people are joining.
There are multiple subreddits dedicated to it like superstonks, GME etc.

GHG

I have been reading up on this and my knowledge/experience isn't big enough to make an educated guess based on whether the fundamentals behind the craze are actually true, but the craze is definitely still there and it has been going up for 2-3 straight weeks, the people aren't selling and it looks like everyone is stocking up more and new people are joining.
There are multiple subreddits dedicated to it like superstonks, GME etc.

The float is still majority owned by institutions and insiders though.

I know most of the retail traders involved in it are holding on to their shares but there are still enough institutions involved who can cause it to trend downwards if they so wished. I'm not sure what their long term strategy is here but I think they will all be biding their time to ensure they can make money on the way down.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
feeling good this morning.... let's gooo
Another nice day. I knew it was going to be decent. US markets were open yesterday and my stocks which I buy the Canadian version would play catch up and pop today as it was a holiday yesterday.

+1%. The best week and a half I've had in months. My stocks (excluding cash portion) is up around 8% in 7 trading days!

hollams

Gold Member
The float is still majority owned by institutions and insiders though.

I know most of the retail traders involved in it are holding on to their shares but there are still enough institutions involved who can cause it to trend downwards if they so wished. I'm not sure what their long term strategy is here but I think they will all be biding their time to ensure they can make money on the way down.
Yep I lost a ton on GME then got back in thinking I could gain back some of my losses which is never a good strategy. I was able to at least get back what a bought in for the second time so I am out for good now. I just need AMC to get to $16 then I can be done with all the MEME stocks. I was doing great until I got caught up in all that mess.

I stopped following that a while back. Do they still think the stock is heavily shorted?
I don't think that war ended the media buzz might have gone away but the people following it think the media plays for the other side anyway so they are holding and breaking down reports everyday. That community wants blood.

They do believe it is shorted and feel they got cheated by Robinhood and others that stopped them from buying the stock. It pushed the meme and have grown their followers. It is a meme but it has a following, AMC has a lot more because it is cheaper to get into it than GME at the moment. Being an Ape is the movement now on youtube and twitter, they get their hashtags trending everyday.

down 2 orth

I don't think that war ended the media buzz might have gone away but the people following it think the media plays for the other side anyway so they are holding and breaking down reports everyday. That community wants blood.

They do believe it is shorted and feel they got cheated by Robinhood and others that stopped them from buying the stock. It pushed the meme and have grown their followers. It is a meme but it has a following, AMC has a lot more because it is cheaper to get into it than GME at the moment. Being an Ape is the movement now on youtube and twitter, they get their hashtags trending everyday.
What's the rationality for why the squeeze hasn't occurred yet? I respect the hustle if you can come out on top, but if the fundamentals aren't strong and the stock is mainly held by institutional investors, I'd be terrified of it slamming down on any given day.

What's the rationality for why the squeeze hasn't occurred yet? I respect the hustle if you can come out on top, but if the fundamentals aren't strong and the stock is mainly held by institutional investors, I'd be terrified of it slamming down on any given day.

I've been heavily invested in AMC since January, the first squeeze was a gamma squeeze, that was stopped due to restrictions. This has "nothing" to do with the shortsqueeze that we are expecting, they still havent covered anything since that time, we estimate they owe over 1B shares in synthetics, that is a huge number (total shares ~448M). We literally own 100% of the company, and they need to buy it 2-3 times the whole float.

GME is still trading at over 170$ for the past 5 or 6 months, this is a clear indication that the squeeze has not happened yet. Same thing for AMC, even with all the press, FUD and bots spreading really false information.

When we throw "unrealistic" numbers at people, they might seem unrealistic, but the more you dig and the more DD you do, the more plausible it gets, they are litterally fuk'd, there is no possible way that it wont happen, at this stage, this is a result of years and years of malpractice, they have been shorting AMC to the ground since before 2018, they have ruined many of our beloved companies with these strategies (toys'r'us for example), so we feel they have to pay a very high price for their manipulation, but more than that, we want a market that is fair for everyone.

We track the numbers every day, cross reference, its very very hard to hide things from over 5 Million people who are heavily into this.

This is as fundamental as it gets, all shorts must be covered.

$APESTRONGTOGETHER

Last edited:
This community explains why the short has not happened yet daily, with an Us vs Them report. They do source their reports and try to fight the FUD. The main subject is something called "Naked Short Selling" they have the numbers and the proof of it. They track it daily, they have the data.

It all boils down to this way of shorting stocks should not be legal and they have a few meme stocks they can use to hurt the hedgefunds doing it, the end date and goal post gets moved a lot but there is always some explainations for it. They feel the rules will change after GME and AMC it will never work like this again so this is what they are focused on.

I am new here and been trying to learn. For what I've been watching, most of the guys are not following fundamentals at all for the stock. They are looking at who is shorting the stock, they are looking at the borrowed shares being dumped to keep the stock from squeezing, something about having more stocks being traded and created out of thin air than what should exist with AMC. I am not following GME as ,ich so I only know about the AMC talk so far.

The community leaders are on Reddit, Twitch, Youtube, and Twitter. They are not really stupid people as the meme status would imply. They are young and motivated, with a middle finger posture.

I watch live streams that have 20,000+ people watching one guy. And there are like a dozen other guys streaming at the same time.

Here is an explaination I understood

since I am new to this, it was the only real video that kept it simple but this is Naked Short

newer video with info about the game

most of these explains the battle going on. All of this ends soon.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

This community explains why the short has not happened yet daily, with an Us vs Them report. They do source their reports and try to fight the FUD. The main subject is something called "Naked Short Selling" they have the numbers and the proof of it. They track it daily, they have the data.

It all boils down to this way of shorting stocks should not be legal and they have a few meme stocks they can use to hurt the hedgefunds doing it, the end date and goal post gets moved a lot but there is always some explainations for it. They feel the rules will change after GME and AMC it will never work like this again so this is what they are focused on.

I am new here and been trying to learn. For what I've been watching, most of the guys are not following fundamentals at all for the stock. They are looking at who is shorting the stock, they are looking at the borrowed shares being dumped to keep the stock from squeezing, something about having more stocks being traded and created out of thin air than what should exist with AMC. I am not following GME as ,ich so I only know about the AMC talk so far.

The community leaders are on Reddit, Twitch, Youtube, and Twitter. They are not really stupid people as the meme status would imply. They are young and motivated, with a middle finger posture.

I watch live streams that have 20,000+ people watching one guy. And there are like a dozen other guys streaming at the same time.

Here is an explaination I understood

since I am new to this, it was the only real video that kept it simple but this is Naked Short

newer video with info about the game

most of these explains the battle going on. All of this ends soon.

I don’t really have much faith for this. I will exit my position the moment it gets near $300 again.
I am holding 7 shares, which I bought at $260 each. I still remember the day my buddy dragged me into that trade, fuck.

Last edited:
A youtuber's take on AMC and GME three months ago when the squeeze was on.
TLDR Investing with emotion will bite you in the ass. Transfer of wealth from the hedge fund to the common folks this is not.
If you want to stick it to the hedge funds, the best way is to be more successful than the hedge funds rather than holding onto a stock to make the hedge funds bleed.

That said, GME is x4 P/S, CHWY x6 P/S. And Adam Aron donating to gorilla fund was hilarious.

I don’t really have much faith for this. I will exit my position the moment it gets near $300 again.
I am holding 7 shares, which I bought at $260 each. I still remember the day my buddy dragged me into that trade, fuck.

I assume you are talking about GME when you say $300. Sure I get that I don't have any money in that too much of a risk. This squeeze stuff is for those willing to throw the money away and lose it all. What they are betting on is a crazy dream, not really normal investing.

godhandiscen

I assume you are talking about GME when you say $300. Sure I get that I don't have any money in that too much of a risk. This squeeze stuff is for those willing to throw the money away and lose it all. What they are betting on is a crazy dream, not really normal investing.
Yeah GME. I have been holding since the first time it hit $260. I did trade on emotion that day and now I am holding a bag. I don’t want to liquidate it yet because I think I will make my money back, but I don’t believe in this squeeze for the ages that people are holding out hope for.

Top Bottom