• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kathode said:
Go go AMGN! :) Goldman Sachs added it to the Conviction Buy list. Fat lot of good that did for my Monsanto disaster, but appears to be giving this one some momentum.

UNH down slightly. S is up but somehow my put is back up to breakeven. Can't complain :)

>(

I sold my WMB calls, JNJ puts and CL puts. Made about 10% each. My UNH puts are breakeven and I'm breakeven on my AMGN puts.

kathode

Question - Do wash sale rules apply to options from the same company? I sold out my BA calls for a loss a couple days back. If I were to buy puts or calls (unlikely that it would be the same contract) on BA in the next few days does that engage the wash sale rule?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ADSK beats estimates, up 8% in AH:)

NVDA was up another 6% today.

rage1973

This has been good week for me DRYS up 20% in 2 days and LDK up over 25% in the past 3 days. Thanks to those 2 stocks I am back up over 10% for the year now.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Question - Do wash sale rules apply to options from the same company? I sold out my BA calls for a loss a couple days back. If I were to buy puts or calls (unlikely that it would be the same contract) on BA in the next few days does that engage the wash sale rule?

I'm in Canada, sorry.

RSTEIN

Oh yeah, JNJ cut to neutral at UBS.

I bought puts at $1.45 last Friday and sold them yesterday at $1.70 after the stock was weak in the morning. The stock rebounded and I rebought my position at $1.35. I was very close to selling them AGAIN as the stock weakened in the afternoon but couldn't get a good bid. So I'll probably be out of them today at $1.80 or so.

Affinity

So gold is under $800 now... how low will it go as the dollar is rebounding. Is this a short term drop? I know gold fluxes a lot, but I want to know what you guys think?

kathode

RSTEIN said:
What do you own? I own SEP 31.00. I bought some at 0.95 this morning.

Same one. Fairly significant amount @ 1.45 :( Not dire yet, but S is advancing hard, UNH is up, and ERTS is down. Exact opposite of what I need to happen! :)

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Same one. Fairly significant amount @ 1.45 :( Not dire yet, but S is advancing hard, UNH is up, and ERTS is down. Exact opposite of what I need to happen! :)

Yeah, that was me that screwed you over this morning :D I bought 10 contracts... the only contracts that have traded so far. Right now I own 25 contracts, just building my position.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SPWR up 17% today, after LDK's own rise this week. So STP is up 6%:D

ADSK up 13% since earnings publications.

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
ADSK up 13% since earnings publications.
Thought hard about buying ADSK calls last night :) Those earnings gambles are hard to resist!

RSTEIN said:
Did someone just buy 3 @ $0.90?
Looks like it *grumble*. Makes sense though, the stock is up almost 2% today. Turning down a slight bit now, but who knows for how long. Gotta stop staring at the chart and get some work done.

I'm hoping to sell out of my AMGN calls for about 10% today.

Tarazet

Affinity said:
So gold is under $800 now... how low will it go as the dollar is rebounding. Is this a short term drop? I know gold fluxes a lot, but I want to know what you guys think?

Gold was a bubble. Don't count on it reaching those bubbly heights again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SNE trading at 38 is interesting.

BTW:

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Aug 15, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that the record date for its previously announced two-for-one stock split will be August 25, 2008. The stock split will be effected by the issuance of a stock dividend of one additional share of our common stock for each share of our common stock issued and outstanding as of the close of business on August 25, 2008.

Might be a good time to buy soon after the split.

My view of the future of the game market is that:

EA and Activision will consolidate their positions and cause a lot of smaller players like THQ and Midway to be taken out, while weakening anyone in between. Ubisoft is up in the air, they did a lot of smart moves when it comes to making casual games, but from my personal experience they are also ruining a lot of potential when it comes to their next-gen licenses due to rushed development for the sake of releasing titles to meet their forecasts; this will be a winning position in the longer term.

EA are obviously using their position to afford themselves to reshape the company but Ubisoft won't have that margin of error; they need to make sure their future games are released when they are ready, especially for new titles that are finding their way on next-gen platforms for the first time. It's more important to establish strong foundations for their series than pleasing investors on a short term basis, and right now they have the margin on that end thanks to the price of their shares. There are enough proofs out there to that effect.

Fatalah

Hey guys, I don't know why I didn't post here first!

My friends and I are looking to get into online trading, we're trying to choose a trading service. It looks like Scottrade is a solid choice for beginners, with the least about of fees.

Can anyone provide any insight for me on the benefits of each service?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO dropping over 4.5% as EA's bid expires.

I still don't think the deal will happen, I think EA is realizing it wasn't a good idea, and I don't think that considering the direction they are taking now that a random baseless acquisition for the sole purpose of killing competition will still be desired.

kathode

Fatalah said:
Hey guys, I don't know why I didn't post here first!

My friends and I are looking to get into online trading, we're trying to choose a trading service. It looks like Scottrade is a solid choice for beginners, with the least about of fees.

Can anyone provide any insight for me on the benefits of each service?

Hey there,
Unfortunately I have little experience with a wide range of investment services. I use Scottrade myself and think they're pretty good, and it's hard to complain about $7 trades. Customer service has always been awesome and they have a branch just down the road from me. The only other service I've used for any length of time is Sharebuilder, and all I can say about them is "avoid." Cheap site, tools, and not great support.

In other news, go go go!
2lxd0eh.jpg

RSTEIN

Soka said:
What does that bolded portion mean? If I were wanting to buy shares at the post-split price, do I have to wait until Sept. 8th or can I do it on the business day following Aug. 25th?

You can buy your shares anytime - it makes no difference whatsoever. Either you buy them now and then they're split in your account or you buy them after the split.

RSTEIN

Futures down nicely after bad housing and inflation numbers. Let's hope AMGN and UNH follow :D (Oh, and PG).

Edit: Sold my 37 UNH contracts at 1.15. Nice.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ubisoft announced they'll do a 2 for 1 stock split, I shoulkd have bought the damn shares at 15% discount!

kathode

RSTEIN said:
Futures down nicely after bad housing and inflation numbers. Let's hope AMGN and UNH follow :D (Oh, and PG).

Edit: Sold my 37 UNH contracts at 1.15. Nice.

Nice work. I'm just hoping to breakeven at this point. A three-day run up is hard to recover from, even with stuff tanking.

kathode

RSTEIN said:
jesus. I thought my sale was good. I never had a full position, only 37 contracts.

Yeah I just had the 40 contracts. Looks like it's up to 1.90 now and the stock is still tanking. I set my limit order this morning before open thinking it was silly and would never hit :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
STP raises 2008 revenue forecast, up 7.5% today. Had a good runup recently:)

EDIT: Up 11%:D

kathode

I bought a bunch of NFLX calls before close yesterday. Not doing much today. I was hoping for more upside overall than we're seeing. ERTS is advancing nicely which is good for my bottom line, but I'm still down about 30% on that buy.

Wish I had held on to my UNH puts, though. Damn! :lol

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
What did you buy ERTS at?
Well I bought a few December $50 call options for $4.10. The prices aren't directly linked because of how the options get priced, but at the time the stock was around $48 if I remember right. The option has been down to about $2.20. Closed today at $3.10 so that was a nice green number in my account today, but like I said, still a ways to go. The expiration of the TTWO bid definitely sent it down. Got some time though. I am anticipating the Spore release to move it up some more, and hopefully good Madden/NCAA sales as always.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah yesterday TTWO was up because of renewed confidence the deal would happen.

STP up 3% today.

RSTEIN

Man... I'm like a dying leaf ready to fall from a tree. I have zero positions at the moment... Sold all my positions.... so depressed... GIVE ME SOMETHING TO TRADE!!! ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

kathode

RSTEIN said:
Man... I'm like a dying leaf ready to fall from a tree. I have zero positions at the moment... Sold all my positions.... so depressed... GIVE ME SOMETHING TO TRADE!!! ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

UNH could be ripe for a comeback :)

kathode

Well I was feeling like I had some big balls today so I went and bought C calls early today. Wish me luck!

Also SDVI has been tearing it up. Bought a mint at .0035 about a week ago. Now it's up to .015! I own over half a million shares. I tried to buy 300k more yesterday before close at .009 but it didn't go through. Damn!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
STP ended the day at +7% after yesterday's +12% or so:)

ATVI and ERTS have been dropping.

Tarazet

I finally found a rational explanation for the irrational behavior that AFJDX, my international-stock mutual fund, has been showing. It has just enough invested in energy that the fund rises and falls (albeit slowly) with the price of crude. And lately the stock market has gone down every time crude has gone up with a few odd exceptions..

kathode

Out of Citigroup for a quick 25% profit. Thank you Korean Development Bank! :lol Probably could've stayed longer but the financials scare the crap out of me these days.

Top Bottom