• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just trade through my bank (RBC). It's limited, and the comission is high. I'll have to look into an alternative.

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
BA is really tempting.

I would stay away personally. They still have a labor strike going on. It could let up tomorrow and the stock could jump, or it could go for weeks and affect earnings in a big way. If that dreamliner thing gets pushed (likely) or they pull out or miss the tanker contract deadline (also likely), the stock will get hurt more.

Tarazet

mackaveli said:
hey guys, just wondering, what trading platform do you all use?

thanks

I recently switched from E*Trade to Zecco, but I gotta say if you're doing a retirement account E*Trade is the way to go because there are no custodial fees. They charge a steep quarterly fee for brokerage accounts, though, so if you're just trading for fun and profit go with Zecco.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kathode said:
I would stay away personally. They still have a labor strike going on. It could let up tomorrow and the stock could jump, or it could go for weeks and affect earnings in a big way. If that dreamliner thing gets pushed (likely) or they pull out or miss the tanker contract deadline (also likely), the stock will get hurt more.

Yeah I won't try to pick a bottom on BA, especially not in the current situation.

Edit: Feds might cut rates again. Gold is rising.

Tamanon

Banned
kathode said:
Interest rate unchanged. Hold on, we're going down!

Dow is really recovering actually after the announcement, up from 90 down to 50 down in a minute. We'll see what happens.

Ether: Yes, unanimous vote to keep the interest rate steady.

ArtG

Tamanon said:
Dow is really recovering actually after the announcement, up from 90 down to 50 down in a minute. We'll see what happens.

Back down we go. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 200-250 point drop by day's end.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thanks a lot. I was ready to sell my TXN calls (stock was up 1.60%) for a nice profit until the rate decision.

I think it is the right call tho.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ubisoft was up almost 4% today, after some firm announced they bought X number of shares and now hold 5% of the companie's shares.

If Ubi has a good holiday period this will be a big relief for me (I own no shares but I work there):p

EDIT: IMMR up 10%, wtf.

Tamanon

Banned
WTF? Dow is doing some crazy fluctuations right now. I've seen it switch from down 50 to up 100 to even to up 50 to as of this second up 23

kathode

Tamanon said:
WTF? Dow is doing some crazy fluctuations right now. I've seen it switch from down 50 to up 100 to even to up 50 to as of this second up 23

Yeah I've had CNBC refreshing in a window and it's funny to watch them try and keep up. A few minutes ago the lead headline was "Stocks Tumble After Fed Holds on Rates." Now it's "Stocks Turn Higher After Fed Holds on Rates" :lol

mollipen

So what opinion do you folks here have on WaMu (WM)? My brother - who typically is a very smart guy with money and I trust far more than myself for financial situations - is tossing a bit of money ($3500 or so) into them because he thinks that they'll be in a decent position once all of the current market freak-out is over with. (Okay, so that's a VERY simplistic rewording of the long explanation of why he said he thought they would be worth the gamble.)

Anybody else around here taking a chance (have taken? sticking with?) on them?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kathode said:
Yeah I've had CNBC refreshing in a window and it's funny to watch them try and keep up. A few minutes ago the lead headline was "Stocks Tumble After Fed Holds on Rates." Now it's "Stocks Turn Higher After Fed Holds on Rates" :lol

I've always noticed how they always try to relate market fluctuations even when they have no clear indications that said fluctuations are related, which often leads to contradictive headlines (on any sites really).

shidoshi said:
So what opinion do you folks here have on WaMu (WM)? My brother - who typically is a very smart guy with money and I trust far more than myself for financial situations - is tossing a bit of money ($3500 or so) into them because he thinks that they'll be in a decent position once all of the current market freak-out is over with. (Okay, so that's a VERY simplistic rewording of the long explanation of why he said he thought they would be worth the gamble.)

Anybody else around here taking a chance (have taken? sticking with?) on them?

If by "decent position" your brother means "part of JP Morgan&Chase" then he's right. Otherwise...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
kathode said:

Yup, its strange. The decision to leave the interest rate at the same percentage was the best thing the Fed could have done right now. They should not lower it anymore.

Also, I am happy Goldman managed to survive this time around without going into red. I've always considered them the most stable, and steady of the investment bankers (plus I am biased since I have great ties with them) so even though they didn't do that well, they survived.

Tarazet

Tamanon said:

I was browsing E*Trade's website, before I logged in it showed it as 80 down (20 min delay), then when I logged in it was up 92 :lol

mollipen

ALeperMessiah said:
If by "decent position" your brother means part of JP Morgan&Chase then he's right. Otherwise...

Well, JP Morgan was the other company he was talking about. But, while he said that there's always the possibility that WaMu could go down, he thought all things considered they were in a position to ride things out and do fine.

But, either way, I'm grossly over-simplifying what he said, which isn't fair. I'm just curious if anybody else is thinking that they're a good chance to take.

Tarazet

Jesus, AIG is going batshit insane. It was actually positive for a few seconds, I'm watching the realtime ticker and it's totally spastic.

rage1973

sonarrat said:
Jesus, AIG is going batshit insane. It was actually positive for a few seconds, I'm watching the realtime ticker and it's totally spastic.
I bought AIG earlier today for 2.01 and just sold for 4.50. The stock is trading like mad today and look at the volume on the stock. The volume on the day is at almost 1 billion shares compared to 60 million on the average.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nice move rage.

IMMR up 13% is crazy, lol, one day after I sold them. But I would have never made my money back anyway.

avaya

I just got butt-fucked on the rate decision....more like I ran out of balls.

Tried to manual close my short at 10832 on the DJIA but was filled 20pts higher up. £4.5k down the toilet.

Teaches me for trading on 3% margin.

Tarazet

I did go long on MER earlier in the day, can't understand why it isn't closer to $29 if that's what BoA is going to pay for them. Looks like easy money to me, though I suppose the deal could fall through for a number of reasons.

RSTEIN

sonarrat said:
I did go long on MER earlier in the day, can't understand why it isn't closer to $29 if that's what BoA is going to pay for them. Looks like easy money to me, though I suppose the deal could fall through for a number of reasons.

It's a stock deal. It's going to trade relative to BoA.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I didn't want to admit it but I bought 100 of ABX.TO at 29.50 after the possibility of a rate cut :lol

I don't regret it tho (yet).

ERTS is still interesting, but I have no faith in their potential this holiday, not enough yet anyway.

RSTEIN

sonarrat said:
You mean x shares of MER turns into x shares of BAC? How does that work?

Yup. You get 0.8595 of BAC shares. So the take out price fluctuates based on BAC's stock price.

Tarazet

RSTEIN said:
Yup. You get 0.8595 of BAC shares. So the take out price fluctuates based on BAC's stock price.

That still puts it at $24.23 at BAC's current value of $28.20, and MER is trading at $20.74. Scratches head.

RSTEIN

sonarrat said:
That still puts it at $24.23 at BAC's current value of $28.20, and MER is trading at $20.74. Scratches head.

Well the transaction isn't expected to close until Q1 '09. There is a lot of uncertainty, plus time value of money for taking the cash now.

Tarazet

RSTEIN said:
Well the transaction isn't expected to close until Q1 '09. There is a lot of uncertainty, plus time value of money for taking the cash now.

I see. So I should probably cash out now while I'm ahead. Thanks!

RSTEIN

sonarrat said:
I see. So I should probably cash out now while I'm ahead. Thanks!

Woah horsey! I didn't say that! That's up to you, I was just trying to provide information!

Tarazet

RSTEIN said:
Woah horsey! I didn't say that! That's up to you, I was just trying to provide information!

Of course, I came to that conclusion on my own. I was expecting one thing and what you described is quite another, so I'll just take the money and run.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Government announces $85 billion loan to save AIG

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080916/aig.html

That. Is a lot of money.

What other huge player could fall that would end up NOT being bailed out because of too much money having already been loaned?

EDIT: Am I the only one who can't click on "Edit Portfolio" on Yahoo's front page, nor the stock symbols?

EDIT2: Damn the defense sector, they've been holding out nicely through all this mess for the past two years!

Ether_Snake said:
Government announces $85 billion loan to save AIG

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080916/aig.html

That. Is a lot of money.

What other huge player could fall that would end up NOT being bailed out because of too much money having already been loaned?

EDIT: Am I the only one who can't click on "Edit Portfolio" on Yahoo's front page, nor the stock symbols?
horray! i'm now a part owner of AIG, being a taxpayer, right?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kkaabboomm said:
horray! i'm now a part owner of AIG, being a taxpayer, right?

:lol

Yeah, except you won't get a penny even if the shares rise tomorrow:p

EDIT: CELG has been doing really well. There were on my priority list a few months ago. Never made a move.

Ovid

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Samsung Electronics said late Tuesday that it has offered to acquire SanDisk Corp. for about $5.85 billion, capping several days of speculation about a potential combination of the two companies.
In a letter to SanDisk, Samsung said it was reiterating a previous offer to buy the company for $26 per share in cash, in a deal that would not be contingent to financing arrangements.
Full story -- http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/samsung-offers-buy-sandisk-585/story.aspx?guid={39E9726C-C48D-41B9-8143-B726BDF8CC2A}&siteid=yhoof

Damn it...I knew I should have bought some SanDisk stock today. I had a feeling an offer would come this week.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here's my reviewed watch list (as in, the stocks I'll be keeping an eye on a daily basis). Of course whether or not I buy something again soon will depend on the markets.

Basic Materials
PBR
RDS
TOT
RTP

Consumer Goods
ARA
VCP

Financials
CM (risky times I know)

Industrial Goods
BA