• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ovid

Hey Ether....do u think it's too late to jump in on SNDK? I'm thinking that Toshiba may make a counteroffer.

Toshiba chip exec says interested in SanDisk bid (Full Story)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well I'm not as much of an expert as others here, but even if Toshiba does place a better offer, by the time markets open tomorrow SNDK will be at least around 50% higher. I doubt Toshiba would offer much more, surely slightly more, but not much more, so then you end up buying shares for a price that may remain at the same you paid for, rise slightly, or drop significantly due to unrelated events.

I don't know, I would never buy a stock AFTER an offer was made. But like I said, that's just me. Maybe others here can give a better advice.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ether_Snake said:
I don't know, I would never buy a stock AFTER an offer was made. But like I said, that's just me. Maybe others here can give a better advice.

What you're talking about is merger arbitrage. You're betting that another company is going to come in and make a higher offer (or the current bidder is going to raise its bid if shareholders aren't happy). I would stay away, easier trades are out there.

E-phonk

Banned
I'm on -3000 euro's now in my portfolio.
Damn crash.

I'm doubting now to buy even more of the same stock to get my average purchase price down (so I can bail out for a lower sum once it rises again) or waiting it out for however many months it'll take.

kathode

Wow, totally bizarre. I had a limit order on my CAT calls to sell at $2.75. It just hit and sold, but I have no idea why. The bid dropped back down to the $2.40 range almost instantly afterwards. I'll take that 34% profit and look to get back in if it heads back down around the $2 range.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I did good in buying ABX.TO yesterday, up around 8.5% now (bought at 29.5).

IMMR continues to rise.

Tarazet

Only thing I'm long on is silver right now, the rest of my money is in cash or treasuries. It was time to stop the bleeding, but once the money settles from my mutual fund sale I'll be looking for some quick in-and-out trades like I did on the GAF virtual stock game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I'll be trading on short terms for the first time. Might sell ABX.TO if it reaches 34.50 so I can make 500$ and move to something else, unless I feel the momentum for gold will continue.

BA down 8%

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mackaveli said:
hey guys

does anyone know where i can get real time updates on market movers?

like i have this wsj link

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3021-activnyse-actives.html?mod=mdc_mstactv

but it updates every 15-20 minutes.

Anyone know where i can get real time updates on 100 stocks that move the most, or gain the most on the NYSE, Nasdaq?

does any trade platform online like quest trade, e-trade provide this data?

thanks.

Yahoo Finance has real-time updates.

Fatalah said:
Anyone see Google today, down $20/share today. Isn't that a huge drop for them?

It's big but there's worst happening right now with other big players.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
mackaveli said:
hey guys

does anyone know where i can get real time updates on market movers?

like i have this wsj link

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3021-activnyse-actives.html?mod=mdc_mstactv

but it updates every 15-20 minutes.

Anyone know where i can get real time updates on 100 stocks that move the most, or gain the most on the NYSE, Nasdaq?

does any trade platform online like quest trade, e-trade provide this data?

thanks.

Google finance

http://finance.google.com

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mackaveli said:
hi,

I checked yahoo finance, i could only find this link for real-time updates.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/gainers?e=O

it doesn't seem to show real time updates. It seems to be 15 minutes delayed. Is this the wrong place im looking at? If so, could i have a link to the real time updates?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=sndk

You can see it there at the top no?

Guys, btw, what's your opinion on gold? I have a hard time believing that the feds won't print more and more money. At the same time, even if a lot of said money has disappeared, they're just replacing as much when they bail companies out. Plus, if things get worst than predicted for X reasons, at some point owners of USDs will want to get rid of them moreso no?

EDIT: UBI down over 4.75% today.

mackaveli

Ether_Snake said:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=sndk

You can see it there at the top no?

Guys, btw, what's your opinion on gold? I have a hard time believing that the feds won't print more and more money. At the same time, even if a lot of said money has disappeared, they're just replacing as much when they bail companies out. Plus, if things get worst than predicted for X reasons, at some point owners of USDs will want to get rid of them moreso no?

EDIT: UBI down over 4.75% today.

thanks but thats not what i want.

I don't need real time updates on a stock. i want real time updates on the market movers for the day. They are always 15 minutes delayed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gold keeps on rising. I feel like selling ABX now for almost 6$ of profit, but I don<t see why it should drop soon. I<m up almost 20% on it.

Loki

Count of Concision
And here I was thinking about investing in gold on Sunday night when news of Lehman broke. SHIT. :lol

Thing is, I've never made any sort of investment and didn't know where to start. Can anyone give a quick primer?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Now that the headlines are talking about gold, and considering everyone is going on a hit and run, I really feel like selling, I feel it will lead to a short-lived bubble.

loki: I use my bank's online service

Loki

Count of Concision
Ether_Snake said:
loki: I use my bank's online service

Thanks, but I meant info on investing in gold specifically. Do you invest in gold through normal investment channels or are there official agencies you have to purchase through? If you meant that you purchase gold through your bank's online service, I apologize; in rereading the last paragraph of my previous post, I realized that perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was requesting.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Actually I just invested in Barrick Gold http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=abx

Barrick Gold Corporation engages in the acquisition, exploration, and development of gold properties. It primarily explores for gold, copper, silver, and zinc.

So I just bought shares of Barrick Gold, a company involved in the above, like I could buy shares of Coca-Cola, or Halliburton:) Since demand for gold is high, the companies that dig for the stuff make more money as a result as they can charge more, do more business, etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah every time the feds bails out someone they have to print more money. So even if a lot of money vanished, more is being printed anyway.

Tamanon

Banned
Are we seeing an increase in the S&P drop because it's broken resistance? It's at 1163 now, down over 4 percent. Dow down 400.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yep, NASDAQ down almost 5%

Anyone else thinks the feds WILL lower interest rates anyway?:p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tamanon said:
Dow drops 4.10%, S&P 4.74%, NASDAQ 4.81%

Brutal day today.
fcsksp.gif

Davidion

avaya said:
GOLD.

Buy it people.

That good even after a 10% gain eh? I've some co-workers who are borderline obsessed with gold and the commodity markets; what's your take on it?

Fatalah, I'll respond to you; it's been busy today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was close to sell my stake in ABX at 35.50 today, but held back. Glad I bought it yesterday afterall:)

But I think this gold bubble will be very turbulent, so I'm going to look into selling soon.

avaya

Davidion said:
That good even after a 10% gain eh? I've some co-workers who are borderline obsessed with gold and the commodity markets; what's your take on it?

Fatalah, I'll respond to you; it's been busy today.

Some of our clients live and die by commodities. There are people who know the Corn and Pork Belly markets so well :lol

Gold is great, everyone always thinks it's undervalued. Continuous uptrend on the thing. On days like this it is immediate safety net, that's why it skyrocketed. Can do around $950 no problem.

Kifimbo said:
What is the easiest way to buy gold ?

Not sure in the US but I buy it through derivatives/margin trading. All my trading is spreadbetting, no stamp duty or capital gains tax in the UK. Look for CFD's in the US to trade gold.

Loki

Count of Concision
Ether_Snake said:
Actually I just invested in Barrick Gold http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=abx

So I just bought shares of Barrick Gold, a company involved in the above, like I could buy shares of Coca-Cola, or Halliburton:) Since demand for gold is high, the companies that dig for the stuff make more money as a result as they can charge more, do more business, etc.

Is that what is traditionally meant by "investing in gold"? Simply investing in companies that deal in gold? I always assumed it meant either actually acquiring gold or at least obtaining certificates of ownership to actual gold through some sort of official agency/dealer. Interesting.

I mean, I definitely understand how your way would yield results, I just don't know if that's what most people do, or what most people mean when they advise others to invest in precious metals. Thanks for the info, though. :)

Tamanon

Banned
Loki said:
Is that what is traditionally meant by "investing in gold"? Simply investing in companies that deal in gold? I always assumed it meant either actually acquiring gold or at least obtaining certificates of ownership to actual gold through some sort of official agency/dealer. Interesting.

I mean, I definitely understand how your way would yield results, I just don't know if that's what most people do, or what most people mean when they advise others to invest in precious metals. Thanks for the info, though. :)

Generally it's actually investing in gold commodities for most investors.

Loki

Count of Concision
Tamanon said:
Generally it's actually investing in gold commodities for most investors.

That's what I figured. Any idea on what the simplest way to do this is, and who's reputable? Thanks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bought Barrik specifically because I believed they were more likely to bring in a higher % after looking at the past activity of the shares compared to other alternatives.

GLD and SLV, I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.

STP made a nice come back late in the day. Up in AH. ATVI has been sadly down.

Top Bottom