• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

I'm going to sell off everything I own. It's not like I'm deeply invested in the stock market, but I'm sick of this turmoil. Today I'm down another 2%. I'm tapping out market, you win...you asshole.
aquateenhungerforceresize.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
got2bekidding said:
I'm going to sell off everything I own. It's not like I'm deeply invested in the stock market, but I'm sick of this turmoil. Today I'm down another 2%. I'm tapping out market, you win...you asshole.
aquateenhungerforceresize.jpg

Yeah it's bad for everyone, I hate trading at such time:|

I have no idea what to invest in anymore and frankly it makes me feel stupid because I used to make relatively "easy" money in the market. Now I feel as if I'm a newly blinded man who can't tell which are my $100 bills and which are my $1's. There's no structure to the market anymore other than bad news that makes it plummet. It's frustrating.

Tarazet

got2bekidding said:
I have no idea what to invest in anymore and frankly it makes me feel stupid because I used to make relatively "easy" money in the market. Now I feel as if I'm a newly blinded man who can't tell which are my $100 bills and which are my $1's. There's no structure to the market anymore other than bad news that makes it plummet. It's frustrating.

You learn a new logic and learn about new tools in markets like this. SKF is an Exchange-Traded Fund (ETF) that you can buy and sell just like a stock, that specializes in shorting the financial market. It gained 14.4% today and is likely to continue gaining. There's also the fact that all of the commodities are oversold - oil is under $100 now, but gasoline futures prices and consumer demand are still supporting much more.

Yeah I know about ETF's so I'll check it out. I just hate shorting the marketing since I'm a bull, but the bulls are definitely not prospering in this type of market. I even have a Mad Money bull sitting on my entertainment center. I swear I see it crying every now and then.:lol

Wait a minute....aren't they changing selling short on stocks tomorrow? I think I'll steer clear from doing that.

Ovid

I caved in and bought SNDK this morning. I'm banking on Toshiba to make a counteroffer.

Toshiba has said in the past that it would make a counteroffer, should Samsung ever make a bid for San-Disk. Toshiba hasn't issued a statement since Samsung went public with its offer, but Cohen says Toshiba would have a far better chance of buying Samsung.

"We assume Toshiba will come in and make a bid," Cohen said. "Toshiba's bid would be a lot more tolerable to regulators and investors. They already own half of the joint venture."

Full sotry

I hope they come through for me.

Ovid

Toshiba Considering Buying SanDisk -Report
TOKYO (Dow Jones)--Toshiba Corp. (6502.TO) has started considering plans to buy SanDisk Corp. (SNDK), Jiji Press reported Thursday, joining the fray to acquire the U.S. memory chip maker as it tries to maintain its competitiveness.

South Korean electronics giant Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.SE) made public its $5.85 billion bid for SanDisk and SanDisk's subsequent rejection Tuesday. But Samsung has said it is willing to continue takeover talks with the flash-data storage maker, and SanDisk has hinted the same.

Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
LINK

Thank you God. This should bump the stock up tomorrow. I knew this would happen.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good for you tarius, bold move, I hope for a nice rise:)

BTW I see there has been no reply on the subject but here goes, I'd like some discussion here in this thread cause there's like 4 other threads dealing with the current situation and it's difficult to follow:

#1: Gold. Where do we go from here? What happens if not only the US AND Russia have to inject a lot of cash in their economy, but what if Europe follows (or are they doing so too? I haven't been keeping up).

#2: Isn't it getting very likely that China will have to step forward sooner than they hoped for to take their place as the world's leading economy? I mean outright replace the US, without being able to argue over it. I mean "CNBC reported that Morgan Stanley is in talks to possibly be acquired by China's Citic Group, citing an unidentified person." and "The Federal Reserve has been active in encouraging the Chinese to invest in U.S. financial institutions and has even made it clear that it would look favorably upon a Chinese acquisition of a U.S.-based financial institution, sources said.". I think the US is in panic mode and they think they are better off selling to China than the gulf states, so they are asking China to invest before Gulf states do so. Am I wrong on that?

If #2 is the case, isn't is very likely that China will start to take action to re-evaluate the Yuan upward? If so, again what does this mean for gold? It would probably be a drain on at least the speculative % of the gold's current or near-future price as people would head for the Yuan no?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer! I'm really curious.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nikkei down 400 points

EDIT: Supposedly CITIC says they are not aware of any talks about buying MS.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ERTS and ATVI back up. ABX continues to rise. AIG and WM up 16%. STP up. CGT down, argh. Rising oil, rising jobless claims. It's choppy trading.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ABX.TO up to 37.50 already. That's 8$ since Thuesday:)

Argh why is STP falling so much>:|

Tarazet

kathode said:
UK bans shorts on financials. Dow up over 300 now. Wow!

So logically, this will cause a huge surge in financials as foreign investors scramble to cover their shorts, only for the whole sector to dive again once the ban is rescinded.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fuck, gold tanked

At least everything else is up.

There will be selling before the close, to take in profits/reduced loses, IMO.

EDIT: I was right about gold popping in a few days. Too bad I didn't sell:p

CM up 8%

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
What you just witnessed you may never see again in your entire lives. NASDAQ, DOW, etc., jumped 4%+ in the span of 30 minutes.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What happens to interests rates now? Won't they rise?

More money will be printed now no?

What happens to the US dollar?

RSTEIN

Only time will tell... sooner or later... time will tell.

$50 for anyone who gets the reference

I'm glad I woke up late and didn't sell anything. Of course we still have to see about this RTC meeting and also to make sure this wasn't just a normal "people don't want to be long in the market Friday move". There is still a lot of wait-and-see in this left to go.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ERTS gained like 6% today only to lose as much in AH. Shows lack of faith in the company IMO.

EDIT: TGI also.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I am about to go back full into the market. I held out to some stocks for sometime, generating a nice revenue, but I am going back. Gonna use Zecco, already sent my signature and ID cards to them so my account is approved. I was previously using Sharebuilders, but meh.... gonna stick to Zecco and in the near future E*Trade. What do you guys think?

gkryhewy

I'm completely unsure as to a near-term strategy.

Commodities up, tech up, everything up. Any suggestions? I may just buy more NTDOY.

kathode

Pretty crazy morning. The ask for my UNH calls shot up to what would have been over 300% profit for me, but no one bought. Too bad!

lil smoke

Banned
argh... Darn TD site is crawling, and I can't see what's going on! Can't get in on the action right now, this is inexcusable.

I'm going into NTDOY today. I missed RL yesterday which blasted right back and beyond, as usual. (actually things have settled down to reality just a few moments ago)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ARA +9% right now.
PBR +12%
RTP +8%
VCP +19%
MTW +7%

Those are from my watch list I updated on page 54:) Too bad I bought none of this yet, didn't expect such a quick recovery.

ERTS down

UBI up 6%

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Pretty crazy morning. The ask for my UNH calls shot up to what would have been over 300% profit for me, but no one bought. Too bad!

Yes, a lot of options are frozen right now. My SKI (Sprint) calls were bid at 1.05 ask 2.00. Let's just say at 2.00... I'll make a lot of money :)

Nobody knows what to do!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Seriously, you go make yourself a coffee, come back, and you missed the opportunity of a lifetime to sell:p

EDIT: STP up nicely.

gkrykewy said:
Similarly nintendo
My only problem with this is that it seems so obvious: it's been trending down for a few months, the holiday season is about to come. It seems like the perfect buy.

I'm wary of things like that.

What do you think? And how do you trade it? ETFs or something?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Everything on my watch list is up, a lot of it over 10%. So I don't really feel like buying after such a quick rise. I think there will be major profit taking in the near future, either by the close today or early next week unless there are a lot of excellent news. Lots of people lost a lot of money very quickly, they'll be looking forward to make their money back on a very short term.

At least everything I hold now is green and going up. Only CGT is still in the red.

As for the companies on my watch list, I am not sure what to do yet. CM is really tempting, yet the riskier one in my list.

argon

Nintendo is very undervalued under $60 IMHO, especially with the dollar buying 107 yen.. I really can't think of any reason for it to underperform the market from here as long as the exchange rate holds above 104-105 or so (which I believe their earnings estimates are based off of).

Top Bottom