• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

gkryhewy

Battersea Power Station said:
My only problem with this is that it seems so obvious: it's been trending down for a few months, the holiday season is about to come. It seems like the perfect buy.

I'm wary of things like that.

What do you think? And how do you trade it? ETFs or something?

The way I look at it: it's just off a 52-week low, they're still raking in cash, they seem primed to announce a new DS shortly, release date for DQIX is pending, plus videogame stocks of good firms have traditionally done well in the fall.

Barring a broader market crash, I'm expecting shares to get back to 70 before Xmas.

Easy to trade: just buy/sell shares of NTDOY. The only trick is it's tough to get continuously updated prices during the day, as it's a Pink Sheet. Best is a 15-minute delayed quote here:

http://pinksheets.com/pink/quote/quote.jsp?symbol=ntdoy#getQuote

argon said:
Nintendo is very undervalued under $60 IMHO, especially with the dollar buying 107 yen.. I really can't think of any reason for it to underperform the market from here as long as the exchange rate holds above 104-105 or so (which I believe their earnings estimates are based off of).

They hedge anyway.

Tarazet

I'm going to wait until market close today, then buy SKF. Even hundreds of billions won't help when the housing market is probably going to need trillions to absorb all the losses.

gkryhewy

sonarrat said:
I'm going to wait until market close today, then buy SKF. Even hundreds of billions won't help when the housing market is probably going to need trillions to absorb all the losses.

That is going to fall to 60 before it even thinks of recovering. Wait until mid-next week at least.

gkrykewy said:
Holy fuck at LEH.

EDIT: Now trading under LEHMQ. Still, up 300%...

Last: 0.195 Change: +0.143 (+275.00%) Bid: 0.19 x50,000 Ask: 0.195 x5,000 Range: 0.08 - 0.25

It's down from the peak of 0.25 it was at about half an hour ago. Freaking scary, but tempting. I could easily see it drop 50% from here. =/

Tarazet

gkrykewy said:
That is going to fall to 60 before it even thinks of recovering. Wait until mid-next week at least.

60? That sounds like an outrageously low number. It's trading at 92, and even that's down 20%.

argon

sonarrat said:
60? That sounds like an outrageously low number. It's trading at 92, and even that's down 20%.

That's because trading was halted in SKF after that.

Edit: NM, looks like it was restarted. Not sure why but it wasn't showing a bid for me for awhile.

That said, don't buy SKF until the short ban is close to being over.

crussher

hey guys just wondering,

you know the january effect how stocks go up after december supposedly,

is their a similar effect for friday? where stocks go up on monday or down usually?

i dont know if should buy some stocks at close or should i just wait for monday morning?

is their a historical trend that follows suit?

thanks.

ArtG

crussher said:
hey guys just wondering,

you know the january effect how stocks go up after december supposedly,

is their a similar effect for friday? where stocks go up on monday or down usually?

i dont know if should buy some stocks at close or should i just wait for monday morning?

is their a historical trend that follows suit?

thanks.

If you're going long, I wouldn't buy anything right now, honestly. The fact that the market is about even this week given the events is making me feel like the market is way, way too high.

Then again, with the ban of short-selling on certain stocks, who knows. The market is pretty much manipulated to go up in that environment.

crussher

ArtG said:
If you're going long, I wouldn't buy anything right now, honestly. The fact that the market is about even this week given the events is making me feel like the market is way, way too high.

Then again, with the ban of short-selling on certain stocks, who knows. The market is pretty much manipulated to go up in that environment.

i don't plan on going long, i plan on selling them come monday but i won't if its known that prices usually drop from Friday to monday.

I just don't know.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone has any idea why CGT has fallen big time yesterday, on no news, and has been going downward (yet green) today? I see NOTHING.

EDIT: Should have kept ADSK.

LEHMQ.PK 0.2200 +0.1680 +323.08%

ArtG

crussher said:
i don't plan on going long, i plan on selling them come monday but i won't if its known that prices usually drop from Friday to monday.

I just don't know.

Well, buy going long, I mean that you're going to buy shares of company, not hold them for a long period of time. If you're going to buy shares of a company, I would advise against it.

kathode

Couldn't ditch my UNH calls today. Boo hiss. Held onto ERTS for the moment too.

ATVI was a Motley Fool Stock Advisor pick for this month. Just came out today. Doesn't mean a whole lot, but their picks are pretty good. 44% gain historically.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I was tempted to buy more ATVI but held off on anything today.

ABX.TO now at 36.50, bought at 29.50 (bottom) this week:)

STP now at 43, bought at 33.

i'm 80% up on ATVI :D

CGT rallied nicely at the end of the day, still in the red on it tho.

Really wish I kept ADSK, there was no reasoning behind selling it Monday, I was just thinking of selling everything and they were at the top of my list because they are listed by alphabetical order :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yep, same reason I held back. ERTS is tempting, but again I am warry of them as always.

Davidion

Ether_Snake said:
Yep, same reason I held back. ERTS is tempting, but again I am warry of them as always.

Feels like there's going to be a big sell-off/correction. I'm waiting to see if everything will take a hit; this isn't paradise on earth quite yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone else noticed this? Most defense contractors were either down or barely up today. Could this be because people expect the military spending to be reduced or more severely contested now that the gov will need a whole lot more money to deal with its deficit?

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone else noticed this? Most defense contractors were either down or barely up today. Could this be because people expect the military spending to be reduced or more severely contested now that the gov will need a whole lot more money to deal with its deficit?
McCain/Palin jumped the shark.

Ether_Snake said:
ERTS has a nice slate of titles right now, but I don't know if they'll be able to hold such a rich valuation now that they are no longer the King of the sector.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think they are aiming more on quality, but I somehow also feel like it won't pay off. Dead Space and Mirror's Edge in particular.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm adding HON in my day-to-day watch list. The fundamentals are good, and they have dropped this year to the point where I think I could make a nice return if I bought soon.

gkryhewy

Date of Lies said:
I bought AIG at rock bottom prices and I'm hoping this rally on financials is gonna last, I'm up 50%.

Nice work! Just make sure to set up a stop-loss order to protect your profits. I'm thinking financials will come back down close to their Thursday levels before the end of the short sale ban.

gkrykewy said:
Nice work! Just make sure to set up a stop-loss order to protect your profits. I'm thinking financials will come back down close to their Thursday levels before the end of the short sale ban.
No need to get a stop-loss for AIG, since the govt is babysitting them now. Even if there are corrections in the near-future, I'm looking at huge growth in the future, especially since everyone is saying we hit the bottom on thursday/friday. But we'll see. With the RTC2 now becoming a reality, I'd say a lot of people will be jumping back on the financials bandwagon. Think about getting a piece of the action while you can. It might be risky in the short-term, but longterm, I'm looking at money pouring back into the stock market and financials. You may not see prices like these in financials for a long time, and you know they'll eventually recover, especially now that the fed is being a guardian angel (with your money lol, nationalization of losses, capitalization of profits). I just feel bad for those who rode financials all the way down.

Ovid

I like that CM had a steady rise in stock price dating back to '03. But had a steep decline in November, rose a bit in April, then took another dive in June. Since then stock price has been in and around $60. All financial institutions are risky bet right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Same for Bank of Nova Scotia really (which also has pretty good fundamentals):

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

Canada all in all hasn't been TOO affected by the US crisis yet, and hopefully we won't be.

I'm looking at CGT's price right now and I'm like "yeah I'd like to increase my stake in the company" but at the same I want to add something else to my portfolio. The thing is, the price at where it is now makes me feel like I can get away with another 100 shares (for a total of 720). They are undervalued IMO, it's very long term. Shortage of pilots in developing countries is a reality and they have been addressing this issue.

I'm also looking into getting back in ADSK, should have never sold them, big mistake (it really was an actual mistake too:lol).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I found a few good ones tonight, very strong fundamentals, making them pretty safe investments (but usually with smaller returns). Some of them have actually dropped sharply recently yet the ratios are good so it makes them undervalued IMO, others have made through the turmoil unscathed (I'm mostly looking for undervalued stuff, but I always bookmark anything with great fundamentals in case of an eventual drop).

HURC
B
TEX
LUFK
HLEX
RAVN
RIO (had it in my watch list but forgot it after a big drop last year, re-added to my day-to-day watch list, something I could buy to diversify too)
BOOM
MO
BABY
DWSN

crussher

Ether_Snake said:
I found a few good ones tonight, very strong fundamentals, making them pretty safe investments (but usually with smaller returns). Some of them have actually dropped sharply recently yet the ratios are good so it makes them undervalued IMO, others have made through the turmoil unscathed (I'm mostly looking for undervalued stuff, but I always bookmark anything with great fundamentals in case of an eventual drop).

HURC
B
TEX
LUFK
HLEX
RAVN
RIO (had it in my watch list but forgot it after a big drop last year, re-added to my day-to-day watch list, something I could buy to diversify too)
BOOM
MO
BABY
DWSN

what kind of ratios do you look at it to see if they have good fundamentals?

thanks

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
crussher said:
what kind of ratios do you look at it to see if they have good fundamentals?

thanks

I use Reuteurs mostly, I like their Ratio section. Basically go on Reuter's stock section, type in a company's ticket, and then click on Ratio (in the left side list).

Like Halliburton here:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/ratios?symbol=HAL.N

I've been using Investopedia.com to look up what the different ratios mean when I'm clueless. Overall it's a good way to see if a company has a large debt, how fast they cover their debt, if they have lots of cash on hands to deal with tough times, etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oil falls again after Nigeria militants end attacks.

It's going to be a crazy week. There's a lot I want to get into, but the upward movement is too quick. I'm hoping for a red day soon so I can get in at cheaper.

I hope gold continues to rise too.

EDIT: BTW, any pro here can give me an idea of how to judge a company's debt? For example, YZC has a total debt of 126.86M, its market cap is 1.36B. How do I figure out if that's a lot? Just compare it to others in the sector?

Tarazet

I put my toes into the options pool by buying some HSBC puts with a $70 strike price. They're already up 5% since I bought them, and the stock really hasn't moved much at all. This is some serious leverage!

Edit: Now they're up 20%. I just made up for three months of mutual-fund losses in one day. Wow.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trying to buy BHI at 67 but it's been rising against the markets suddenly>:|

EDIT: Bought BHIx50 at 67.40 and HONx60 at 43.75

ABX.TO up another 7% :) Almost made 10$ a share on 100 shares in a week:)

EDIT2: Added 150 to CGT. This is it for me for a few weeks/months unless I sell something.

avaya

I don't understand why American Express is down so much today (8%)...well looks like Visa (6%) and Mastercard (20%!) are also getting taken to town.

AMEX has $20bn in cash. Maybe the extention of the bailout to credit card debt is the cause of the uncertainty.

Goldman and Morgan's transformation plus crude must be giving everyone worries. Friday's gains are all gone now.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
sonarrat said:
I put my toes into the options pool by buying some HSBC puts with a $70 strike price. They're already up 5% since I bought them, and the stock really hasn't moved much at all. This is some serious leverage!

Edit: Now they're up 20%. I just made up for three months of mutual-fund losses in one day. Wow.

Lol, welcome to the options club. Now be prepared to lose everything you have.

lil smoke

Banned
So is this a pattern eh? I guess tommorow will be back up 300 points right?

I fuckin missed my NTDOY buy, because I typo'd the ask!! Now the money is sitting there as "unsettled" I could have made a few hundred!!! SHIT. This is BS.

gkryhewy

lil smoke said:
So is this a pattern eh? I guess tommorow will be back up 300 points right?

I fuckin missed my NTDOY buy, because I typo'd the ask!! Now the money is sitting there as "unsettled" I could have made a few hundred!!! SHIT. This is BS.

I expect NTDOY will be a little cheaper tomorrow than it was today - should drop in Japan overnight, and (I'd guess) by more than the 1.64% it fell today on the Pink Sheets. Should remain a good buy until the legislation is settled here.

Top Bottom